PDA

View Full Version : Fair Play to O Donoghue

Rasher
04/04/2007, 11:51 AM
Minister not for turning on Tallaght
Wednesday April 4th 2007

EMBATTLED Sports Minister John O'Donoghue has insisted he won't break his word with Shamrock Rovers over the use of the municipal stadium in Tallaght.

A successful application by the Thomas Davis GAA club in Tallaght to the High Court paved the way last week for a judicial review of the terms that govern the use of the stadium.

But the Minister is not concerned about what conclusions the judicial review could draw and has again urged Dublin GAA to forget about Tallaght and look to Rathcoole, where a considerable land bank has been built up.

Speaking in Croke Park at the official opening of the Breaffy International Sports Hotel near Castlebar, Mr O'Donoghue said it was "extraordinary" that he had been portrayed as 'anti-GAA' in some quarters.

The Thomas Davis club had criticised Mr O'Donoghue last week for taking up an "intransigent and untenable position" on the Tallaght stadium and said this would "have to change."

The judicial review will examine the terms of the March 2006 planning permission granted by south Dublin County Council, which allows for a soccer-only facility.

"A judicial review examines the processes by which a decision was made and they will now be examined by the court, and that's fair enough," said O'Donoghue yesterday.

"We are not a part of these proceedings at all. They are between Thomas Davis club and south Dublin Co Council.

"I've said it before, agreement was reached originally that this stadium in Tallaght would be a home for Shamrock Rovers. I gave Shamrock Rovers my word that this would be the case. That remains the position. I am not going to break my word because to do so would be quite wrong," he said.

Alternative

O'Donoghue reiterated his view that another League of Ireland club would be housed in Tallaght at the exclusion of any GAA activity.

He urged the GAA clubs, and by extension Dublin County Board, to consider developing Rathcoole as an alternative, and promised discussions about possible financial support.

"I have said it again and again - the GAA has 25 or 26 acres at Rathcoole. I'm perfectly prepared to enter into discussions with the GAA, at a time of their choosing, with a view to developing a facility there for Thomas Davis and other GAA clubs in Tallaght.

"I want to ensure that there is an opportunity for Gaelic players in the Tallaght area at the most convenient location, but what I can't do is go back on my word to Shamrock Rovers." He said his relationship with the GAA was "excellent" and he had "no problem whatsoever" with the organisation.

On the subject of criticism over his stance, he was less tolerant. "I come from a GAA background. I was chairman of a local GAA club in Kerry for some years. I'm immersed in the GAA. The criticism of my position from peripheral GAA sources to me seems quite extraordinary.

"That's a personal matter - it is irrelevant in an overall context. What is important here is that we gave our word and we are going to keep it."

hoops1
04/04/2007, 12:11 PM
What paper was that in?

TonyD
04/04/2007, 12:18 PM
It's covered in the Metro, though not in that much detail. To be fair to O'Donoghue (who can come across like the village bumpkin at times) he's played a blinder on this. The Rathcoole dimension is something that could be made a lot more of by the pro-football/Rovers faction I think. The GAA has a good offer on the table there from the Minister, what more could they want ? (Oh yeah, the destruction of "foreign games", silly me:mad: )

gspain
04/04/2007, 12:25 PM
He is playing a blinder. He needs more support though. He is still a Fianna Fail minister in election year. He can't be counted opn to continue doing the right thing.

However coverage of this issue is all done by the GAA reproters in the national press. Rovers need to be proactive and feed the football journalists. All we've seen is 1 press release.

It is not enough to just have the moral high ground. Thomas Bigots have clearly convinced the Grand Wizards at HQ that they can put Rovers out of business.

Mr A
04/04/2007, 12:30 PM
I had very little respect for O Donaghue in the past but he has been absolutely superb throughout this process, and indeed regarding Harps efforts to bring our stadium project to fruition. Coming from where he does there is not a lot in it for him to take this stance, which makes his commitment admirable and praiseworthy.

Incidentally-

The Thomas Davis club had criticised Mr O'Donoghue last week for taking up an "intransigent and untenable position" on the Tallaght stadium and said this would "have to change."

Just who the F**K do these people think they are? How dare they tell a minister of this Republic what his attitude should be? What a pathetic, jumped up little club they are.

Mental Man
04/04/2007, 12:40 PM
Who are they? They are the GAA and they carry serious clout in this backward country of ours, you look at GAA county boards across the country and you will find it full of Fiana Fail hacks embedded in them
We have our own dope here in waterford, he was a former selector on the county senior hurling team - Ollie Wilkinson, the most brain dead and inept politician the world has ever seen ,his sidekick is Paddy joe Ryan, also was chairman of the county board and his organiser in the elections - ENOUGH SAID.

Fianna Fail, GAA, catholic Church, what a mafia !!
When it comes to election time the GAA can put serous pressure on Fiana Fail, they are a filthy narrow minded bigoted organisation and i hate them to the core !!!

WeAreRovers
04/04/2007, 12:41 PM
However coverage of this issue is all done by the GAA reproters in the national press. Rovers need to be proactive and feed the football journalists. All we've seen is 1 press release.

Check out the back of today's Herald. We as a club are constantly feeding stuff to the football hacks. Unfortunately, like our governing body, the vast majority of football writers are spineless. In fairness, they're also up against their Sports Editors, who by and large are GAA men.

KOH

gspain
04/04/2007, 2:25 PM
Check out the back of today's Herald. We as a club are constantly feeding stuff to the football hacks. Unfortunately, like our governing body, the vast majority of football writers are spineless. In fairness, they're also up against their Sports Editors, who by and large are GAA men.

KOH

Haven't seen tonight's Herald yet but in fairness Hyland has consistently put the facts of the case well.

The Irish Times appear to have got a totally GAA orientated sports editor. I stopped buying it a good while back. However papers like the Indo and others do have reasonably balanced coverage of sport and it's the Gaah hacks who are covering the story.

Rovers issued a press release and it got decent coverage but nothing much beforehand or afterwards.

The FAI won't do anything as they are scared to rock the boat re the opening of Croke Park. The current Grand Wizard is no Sean Kelly.

The other GAA clubs dropped Thomas Bigots like a hot potato when they went to court. There was general agreement in Dublin gaah circles that this was one to drop and suddenly HQ are back on board backing Thomas Bigots to the hilt.

pete
04/04/2007, 4:38 PM
O'Donoghue is sticking to his word for now but I still don't trust the man.

If he changed his mind now would be a massive u-turn.

gspain
04/04/2007, 7:06 PM
Read tonight's Herald - same story GAA writer giving Gaah side of the story.

Given the GAA do not open their grounds how can they seriously expect to screw up a football ground which they'd never need anyway.

What Gaah games exactly would need a 2,000 capacity stadium in Dublin?

Anyway I assume if Thomas Bigots win this one they'll try and bring the Ban back next.

soccerc
04/04/2007, 7:20 PM
Anyway I assume if Thomas Bigots win this one they'll try and bring the Ban back next.

Try?

I can categorically state that the ban is still in operation at Thomas Davis where very recently, a member who happened to play "soccer" was given a choice - Hobsons Choice.

Us Thomas Davis, and your job or "soccer". He chose the security of his employment and was forced to stop any involvement with football.

Wonder would any GAA hack be interested in purveying that story?

Would they fcuk!

onceahoop
04/04/2007, 9:04 PM
Try?

I can categorically state that the ban is still in operation at Thomas Davis where very recently, a member who happened to play "soccer" was given a choice - Hobsons Choice.

Us Thomas Davis, and your job or "soccer". He chose the security of his employment and was forced to stop any involvement with football.

Would they fcuk!

There must be a law against that. Did his employment contract state that he had to play GAA?

Erstwhile Bóz
04/04/2007, 9:31 PM
Try?

Would they fcuk!
That sounds very newsworthy. You should get the story together and give it to some non-GAA hack.

gspain
05/04/2007, 8:11 AM
I'm sure the guy threatened with losing his job can be easily denied. It wouldn't have been we think it might be interfering with you work. the message would be clear but easy to claim it was a misunderstanding.

While it may be obvious to people that study the issue that Thomas bigots are just a shower of "bring back the ban" merchants Rovers need to win the PR battle. The bigotball reporter for the Indo has written the story again today from the gaah point of view.

The football journalists need to be prompted on a daily basis and
reminded

1) It's a municipal stadium anyway and can hold all sports incl GAA.

2) The bigots at TD want to delay the project and reduce the capacity to 2,000. in realit ythey want to kill the project.

3) What possible need have they to play bigotball in a 2,000 capacity stadium?

4) What has happened to the land in Rathcoole given to the bigots over 12 years ago to develop their own stadium? Hint it is still a green field.

5) Is the 15 acres in Portmarnock given to the bigots at the same time as the Tallaght project was first announced now used for other sports? Dare I even suggest that that land might be worth a little bit more than Tallaght too.

6) Why is it still taboo in 2007 to criticise the GAA? Why will nobody write about their blatant sectarianism (last protestant All Ireland winner was in 1933).

At the moment Rovers are totally depnding on JO'D to do the right thing. If he blinks then Tallaght gets delayed. A 2,000 capacity stadium becomes unviable and the site becomes a carpark. Rathcoole gets built and of course Kennedy and his ilk will be offering to share it with Rovers!!!!!!!! Killing Rovers would be a massive achievement for the Kennedy and probably make him a future GAA Grand Wizard.

Jerry The Saint
05/04/2007, 10:17 AM
Your points are all valid but the shrill language will blind a lot of people to the facts of the argument. It is perfectly OK to criticise the GAA (fun too) but however much you (rightfully) dislike the organisation they are not the KKK :eek:

Of course there's no problem with this on a message board but public displays like the "**** off + die banner" only makes the soccer people look as bad as Thomas Davis. To be fair, the SRFC board have made the effort to take the high moral ground by sticking to the facts but, as you say, the soccer journalists have neither the influence nor the inclination to counter the GAA spin. Which is part of a separate problem where newspapers and journalists don't care about the game outside of England.

(last protestant All Ireland winner was in 1933).

I'm not sure how this could be so easily worked out - what's the source on this? I'm sure there haven't been many but maybe one or two slipped through the net? ;) I know that a big deal was made about Jack Boothman being a Protestant president of the GAA. Although he was probably (and hopefully not coincidentally) the most reactionary and divisive president of the last 20 years.

NY Hoop
05/04/2007, 11:30 AM
Try?

Would they fcuk!

Went down to see their facilities a few months ago. As well as having a completely unused pitch next to an all weather one they have a handball alley, a well equipped complex and their main pitch.

What was laughable was that the bigots had the premiersh1t on the box in their bar though.

Minister has played a blinder on this. His comments are spot on isolating that scumbag kennedy.

KOH

monutdfc
05/04/2007, 10:26 PM
6) Why is it still taboo in 2007 to criticise the GAA? Why will nobody write about their blatant sectarianism (last protestant All Ireland winner was in 1933).

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Peter Whithnall (AI winer with Down 1991) is a Protestant.
(Your point is valid, but falls down on the facts - the Boothman thing lets them away with loads - it's a bit like 'one of my best friends is black')

Billy Lord
06/04/2007, 12:00 AM
He is playing a blinder. He needs more support though. He is still a Fianna Fail minister in election year. He can't be counted opn to continue doing the right thing.

It is not enough to just have the moral high ground. Thomas Bigots have clearly convinced the Grand Wizards at HQ that they can put Rovers out of business.

I'm a bit late on this thread as I was away, but over the last few weeks Rovers have continuously fed pro-Tallaght stories to the press (press releases are only one part of a PR campaign), and will continue to do so. Unfortunately, Irish football simply hasn't anything like the media muscle that the GAA have and that's just stating a fact.

gspain
06/04/2007, 7:15 AM
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Peter Whithnall (AI winer with Down 1991) is a Protestant.
(Your point is valid, but falls down on the facts - the Boothman thing lets them away with loads - it's a bit like 'one of my best friends is black')

Yes he received loads of sectarian abuse and his mother was attacked at a Down v Derry game but no he is RC. His father is protestant. His mother is RC. He turned to football after the abuse of his mother at the Down v Derry game.

The fact comes from a GAA historian. Boothman is protestant (first official duty as president was to attend a Mass in his honour) as was Sam Maguire. Sam was in the IRA so that's OK. I don't think it lets them away with loads.

There were 2 protestants on the Cavan team of 1933. I don't recall the names but did have them once.

Now last July Nicky Brennan took a sunday out and brought a Kilkenny club team to Derry to open Kevin Lynch GAA pitch for Kevin Lynch GAA club. He was a convicted terrorist who died on hunger strike in 1981. He never played 1 minute for the Derry county team and the naming of the club and ground was purely designed to insult and give 2 fingers the local protestant community. Even the opening ceremony involved a paramilitary parade. Lynch and his fellow sectarian scum comrades were responsible for many murders in the area. Likewise Loyalist scum salughtered many innocent RCs i nthe area but so far no sports club has been honouring that filth.

It is still official GAA policy to support "the struggle for national liberation". a motion in 1980 to amend this to the "unarmed struggle" was roundly defeated.

Anyway the Tallaght debate is not around that stuff. It is abour public money being given to a football club. The GAA have consistently got the lions share of this money. If the bigots win here and a 2,000 capacity stadium is then proposed this is no use to Rovers. In reality it is no use to the GAA either but they won't care.

Rovers are lsoing the PR battle here and are totally depnding on a Fianna Fail minister in an election period sticking to his plan. Although JO'D has clearly seen through Kennedy and his fellow wizards it is still a big ask. Rovers are the glamour club of Irish football. If Kennedy et al could put them out of business he'd be a superhero to the bigots.

The precedent here however is that the bigots object to public money for a football club building on the club's land. Surely the reverse applies and any public money givne to a GAA club should be conditional on their grounds being open to non sectarian sports.

BohDiddley
06/04/2007, 9:44 AM
It's hard to fault O'Donoghue on this particular issue.
However, in general terms, he has continued to favour GAA, to the point where he is now proposing government pay for 'amateur' players, and he has displayed shocking bias in dispensing grant money.

hoopy
16/04/2007, 6:06 PM
Thomas Davis have set up an 11 member team to 'get' Tallaght. They've also banned Conor Lenihan from their grounds due to his stance on the issue

CollegeTillIDie
16/04/2007, 9:46 PM
Thomas Davis have set up an 11 member team to 'get' Tallaght. They've also banned Conor Lenihan from their grounds due to his stance on the issue

Conor's Dad played soccer for Athlone, UCD and Shelbourne what else was he going to do? :D

gspain
17/04/2007, 10:07 AM
Conor's Dad played soccer for Athlone, UCD and Shelbourne what else was he going to do? :D

and he got amateur caps for Ireland which was a big thing i nthose days.

I note the sale of white hoods has gone way up in the Square.

CuanaD
17/04/2007, 5:38 PM

'VOTE Conor Lenihan' then ;)

In fact, vote EVERYONE that isn't pro-gaa

gspain
18/04/2007, 12:42 PM
'VOTE Conor Lenihan' then ;)

In fact, vote EVERYONE that isn't pro-gaa

Well in that case you can vote for any of the main parties incl Sinn Fein who have all backed the voice of reason.

I've actually seen Conor Lenihan at quite a few football matches.