PDA

View Full Version : Milan v Bayern

kev mcq
03/04/2007, 9:25 PM
Did anybody see this match tonight and the penalty awarded to Milan:eek: ?
I can honestly say it was probably the worst refereeing decision i've ever seen. Glad to see Bayern get the goal at the end though and Gattuso complaining to the referee!! What goes around, comes around:D

Superhoops
03/04/2007, 10:24 PM
Did anybody see this match tonight and the penalty awarded to Milan:eek: ?
I can honestly say it was probably the worst refereeing decision i've ever seen. Glad to see Bayern get the goal at the end though and Gattuso complaining to the referee!! What goes around, comes around:D

When you see it several times it was a brutal decision all right, but these are becoming a regular feature of football games now, especially in games that are put under TV microscope.

I have never been sure whether technology should be used, but certainly when you see tonights decision I think I would support use of technology in these cases.

I have posted something like this ages ago, but when we go to live games, we all have an immediate view as to whether an incident is a penalty of not and your view depends on a number of things which I believe are in ths order:
- the team you are supporting
- how much you love/hate the team against who the decision is given
- the vantage point from which you see the incident
- the score in the game at the time

Last week Ireland conceeded a stonewall penalty against Slovakia. How did we react? - Well played Dunne/McShane! - Get up you fu*kin Sloakian waster! etc. etc. Had exactly the same decision been given at the other end of the field, how do you think we would have reacted?

Referees have one shot at making a call and generally they get it right. Had that same decision been made in the Liverpool game tonight with them 3-0 up and 5 minutes to go, nobody would have been that bothered it hadn't been given.

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2007, 11:38 PM
Had a tenner on a Liverpool/AC Milan double. Shít happpens once again.

OwlsFan
04/04/2007, 9:59 AM
Yep, the referee's task is almost impossible with diving etc and pundits and managers on their backs.

For goals and penalties the only answer is the video ref. Even those aren't foolproof with different interpretations, especially of hand balls.

superfrank
04/04/2007, 11:47 AM
The interesting thing about that peno was that Kaka didn't run over to the ref when Lucio tackled him. The commentators said he had actually gone to take the corner.

I think when incidents like that happen you have to gage people's reactions. No matter what, alot of the teams conceding the peno will protest but the fact that the Milan players didn't protest says alot, imo.

Schumi
04/04/2007, 1:12 PM
Terrible penalty decision, great game though. Bayern were lucky not to be hammered, only for those two saves from the keeper it could have been 3-0 or 4-0.

holidaysong
04/04/2007, 1:24 PM
Shocking decision to be honest. Was a really good game though. Sets it up very nicely for the second leg.

reder
04/04/2007, 4:43 PM
Watched the highlights after we gave PSV a lesson in football. Have to say, I thought it was an excellent game overall, some of the passing by Milan was outstanding but German sides particularly Bayern and never beaten. The 2nd leg is going to be something special. Penalty decision was terrible but I must say I do like that referee overall, he lets things flow. He has the potential to become a top referee and europe hasnt really had one since Collina was retired.

feo123
04/04/2007, 7:42 PM
referee aint great in the roma-man utd game tonight either

superfrank
04/04/2007, 8:46 PM
I have posted something like this ages ago, but when we go to live games, we all have an immediate view as to whether an incident is a penalty of not and your view depends on a number of things which I believe are in ths order:
- the team you are supporting
- how much you love/hate the team against who the decision is given
- the vantage point from which you see the incident
- the score in the game at the time

Last week Ireland conceeded a stonewall penalty against Slovakia. How did we react? - Well played Dunne/McShane! - Get up you fu*kin Sloakian waster! etc. etc. Had exactly the same decision been given at the other end of the field, how do you think we would have reacted?
Were you there at the Bray UCD Cup QF a few years ago when Pip hauled the UCD player down inside the box?

It was 3-2 at the time and it was in the last minute. Even from where we were in the Shed we could see it was a blatant peno. We all groaned and we were genuinely surprised that it wasn't given. That was such a huge decision and for the life of me I'll never know why the ref didn't give the peno. It was such a crucial decision.

Marked Man
04/04/2007, 11:06 PM
referee aint great in the roma-man utd game tonight either

What did he do wrong?

SeaniesRedArmy
04/04/2007, 11:12 PM
i thought the ref in the roma utd game was good. dunno what fergie was bitching about

dfx-
05/04/2007, 12:06 AM

:D

I called that at the time and until the replays (for most), the other 5 people in the room with me refused to say it was anything but a dive..blatent penalty from a mile off :D

reder
05/04/2007, 10:48 AM
i thought the ref in the roma utd game was good. dunno what fergie was bitching about

Whiskey head is just making sure the referee is going to be a 100% homer next tues cos united are up against it. He could have no arguements about the sending off, Ginger comitted about 6 yellow card fouls up to that point.

Also he may feel a little annoyed cos his clubs is gonna have to fork out some dosh to uefa as a result of the disgraceful behaviour of their fans for the 2nd euro away in a row (and they still sing songs about our behaviour which has been perfect for many seasons now). Brave men those mancs!!

Hope to god Roma do what they did against Lyon.

eirebhoy
05/04/2007, 11:37 AM
What goes around, comes around:D
Gilardino scored a legit goal to make it 2-0 but was ruled offside. Justice was done with the peno. Milan should have won by 2 or 3, Bayern were poor. I suppose it makes for a much better 2nd leg as who wants to watch Liverpool-PSV? :)