PDA

View Full Version : Monaghan Early Soccer History

historynut
03/04/2007, 6:10 PM
Have an interest in the history and development of soccer in Ireland. In respect of Monaghan known that United founded in 1979 and elected to eircom in 1985.
Am I correct that when UTD formed in 1979, it was amalgamation of 2 clubs (if correct - Mon Hibs & Mon Town) ? If this is so does anyone know history of these earlier clubs and what leagues they played in. Infact what league did UTD play in between 1979 and election to the league in 1985, and is it known what trophies may have been won in this period. Presume that it was LMC.
Do believe that town has a long soccer heritage dating back to indeed the early years of soccer in Ireland 1880's. A book on history of Athlone mentions matches against Monaghan team in 1930's. Therefore very gratefull for any info on ealry Monaghan soccer history.
Just a sideline , having viewed your previous ground at Belgium Park,(north side of town just off A2 alongside Lidl ?) would I be correct that when playing there you may have had more outside the ground watching than paying and inside ? Can anyone tell me who uses the ground now ?