PDA

View Full Version : I don’t do interviews - Kinnear

Pages : [1] 2

Éanna
18/01/2003, 11:54 AM
eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/story.asp?newsid=3592)

It has emerged that Republic of Ireland managerial candidate Joe Kinnear refused to be interviewed for the post.

Kinnear, who famously turned down the opportunity of speaking with the FAI at the end of Jack Charlton’s reign in 1996, claimed that he was approached by FAI international consultant Bryan Hamilton, but turned it down, declaring that he would not go through the interview process in order to gain any job.

“If they want to give me the job, they can, but I don’t do interviews,” blasted the Luton Town manager. “[Bryan Hamilton] asked me if I would go on a list and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no. If they don’t know what I’m capable of, why interview me? I’ve done enough in my life.”

There is speculation that Kinnear had blown his chances of attaining the Irish throne even before Christmas.

An early front-runner for the post, he slipped right down the bookmakers’ betting lists in recent weeks, and was available at 25/1 before this afternoon’s revelations.

patsh
18/01/2003, 12:20 PM
from the Irish Times By Emmet Malone

Hamilton disputes Kinnear's claim

18/01/03: Joe Kinnears claim that he declined an interview for the Ireland manager's job was ever so politely disputed by the man who was supposed to have made the offer yesterday. Bryan Hamilton made it clear he has not spoken with the Luton manager since being asked to help the Football Association of Ireland with the appointment of a successor to Mick McCarthy.

Speaking yesterday at a routine press conference ahead of Luton's Division Two game with Barnsley this afternoon Kinnear, whose late withdrawal from the race to succeed Jack Charlton seven years ago was variously put down at the time to either disappointment with the money on offer or an attempt to save face once it became obvious McCarthy was about to be appointed, claimed Hamilton had "asked me if I would go on a shortlist and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no".

He added: "If they don't know what I'm capable of doing, why interview me? I've done enough in my life. If they want to give me the job they can, but I don't do interviews."

However, when this version of events was put to Hamilton the former Northern Ireland manager expressed both surprise and disappointment, remarking, "I like Joe, I have a lot of respect for him. But that sequence of events is not accurate.

"I haven't spoken to Joe," he continued. "I certainly haven't offered him anything. That's not my role. I don't have the responsibility or the authority. I'm a wee bit surprised and I hope the quotes aren't correct because it would be a little disappointing."

Though Hamilton declined to elaborate, he said that he had made a point of contacting anybody of note who had expressed an interest in the job in recent times and added: "I would have loved to have spoken with Joe."

The implication appears to be that an attempt was made to sound out Kinnear regarding his interest in the post but that he did not respond. The 56-year-old former international did not therefore take part in the first round of informal meetings with Hamilton and so could not possibly have been considered for the shortlist.

"I wouldn't like to in any way, shape or form malign Joe, I'm a big admirer of his," said Hamilton, "but if those quotes are accurate then that is not an accurate reflection of what has happened."

A spokesman for the FAI said that the association would not get into discussing individuals but added: "We have a shortlist of candidates, each of whom has been contacted and all of whom were happy to take part in the process."

Hamilton, who confirmed that he has now contacted all of the candidates on the shortlist, declined to give any indication of where or when they will be interviewed but it is expected that the meetings will take place in Britain during the course of next week.

There are suggestions, meanwhile, from leading FAI officials that Philippe Troussier and Brian Kerr may be emerging as the favourites to be named as the new manager over the next two weeks.

Kerr is believed to have interviewed well for the position on Wednesday morning before leaving for the United Arab Emirates with an Irish under-20 squad while those assessing the candidates are said to be impressed with the Frenchman achievements in each of his previous international jobs.

Éanna
18/01/2003, 1:11 PM
why does everything to do with the FAI have to be claimed and counter-claimed :rolleyes:

patsh
18/01/2003, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
why does everything to do with the FAI have to be claimed and counter-claimed :rolleyes:
Nothing changes...
This whole search for a manager is turning into a f*cking soap opera.
The Echo has a story saying that Robson will be the manager with
Roy Keane as assistant !:rolleyes:
The FAI will never get it's act together

Seanie
19/01/2003, 9:40 AM
Bloody Interviews - these are all high profile individuals and the FAI wants to sit them down and interview them. To borrow a phrase: "Do you see Dick Advocat do fu€king interviews tonight!"

Éanna
19/01/2003, 11:19 AM
of course they have to interview them, you can´t just GIVE someone the job. Kinnear is an idiot if he´s said this. Typical FAI though, the whole thing is a joke.

patsh
19/01/2003, 11:31 AM
Another story doing the rounds now is that because John Delaney is a life-long Man U fanatic, he is the one pushing for Robson/Keane, and he is one of the 3 people who will decide on who gets the job.
F*ck it, even McCarthy would be better than that w*nker Robson.

Éanna
19/01/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
Another story doing the rounds now is that because John Delaney is a life-long Man U fanatic, he is the one pushing for Robson/Keane, and he is one of the 3 people who will decide on who gets the job.
F*ck it, even McCarthy would be better than that w*nker Robson. in what other footbll association in the world would you believe that for a second :rolleyes: only the fai would have someone up there who supports a foreign league- not to mention that sh@ggin haircut :rolleyes:
FAI OUT!

pete
20/01/2003, 9:38 AM
If thats true Kinnear (manager in english 2nd division) must have some ego.

Just because de Echo & other papers print idiotic stories does not mean they true.

:rolleyes:

Real ale Madrid
20/01/2003, 10:36 AM
Football managers don't need to be interviewed I mean what the hell would any gobsh*te from the FAI ask Joe Kinnear! The fai are the fooking biggest joke ,the next qualifier is 2 months we play Scotland in a friendly soon and the F A I !!!!!! are doing what? INTERVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another job well done.

Joe Kinnear is dead right, they know what his record is if they want to give him the job they should give it to him. If not then stop fannying around and give it to someone else.:mad:

patsh
20/01/2003, 10:39 AM
Well Roy Keane has shown Spillane to be the pr*ck he is. In an interview with George Hook, (I presume on Newstalk106) and played on Trevor's Big Red bench last night, Keane says he has no intentions whatsoever to become assistant/coach/whatever to Robson. He said he may consider management/coaching in 3 to 4 years time when his playing days are over.

Shed End John
21/01/2003, 1:40 PM
asked me if I would go on a list and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no. If they don’t know what I’m capable of, why interview me? I’ve done enough in my life.”

Makes alot of sense, doesn't it? You walk straight into a job without proving you're good enough for it. What if everyone did that? Good riddance, Joe!

Murphy Out Now!!!

Heighway
21/01/2003, 1:50 PM
I don't like the emphasis been put on the new man's ability to get Keane back as a pre-requisite for the job. If he comes back fine, but pick a manager who can do the best job for the next 4/5 years and let him decide whether or not he wants Keane back. At the moment we're making Keane bigger than the team and that's not right.

Shed End John
21/01/2003, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by Heighway
I don't like the emphasis been put on the new man's ability to get Keane back as a pre-requisite for the job. If he comes back fine, but pick a manager who can do the best job for the next 4/5 years and let him decide whether or not he wants Keane back. At the moment we're making Keane bigger than the team and that's not right.

I completely agree. Brian Kerr for Ireland.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Schumi
21/01/2003, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
I completely agree. Brian Kerr for Ireland.
Hear hear.

Éanna
21/01/2003, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by Heighway
Agree 100% but unfortunately i think it will have a bearing on the next manager whether we like it or not. if it wasn´t an issue, it wouldn´t be in the papers all the bloody time. it just shows what a joke the FAI are.

Real ale Madrid
21/01/2003, 4:50 PM
KINNEAR FOR IRELAND

Please not Brian Kerr. Nice fella and all that he is.

patsh
21/01/2003, 6:09 PM
Agree 100% but unfortunately i think it will have a bearing on the next manager whether we like it or not. if it wasn´t an issue, it wouldn´t be in the papers all the bloody time. it just shows what a joke the FAI are.
But who is making this an issue?
It seems to me that anybody who showed any interest in the Ireland job was asked specific questions by various members of the press regarding Keane.
(with the exception of Kerr, I think. I haven't come across any comments by him on the subject).
Delaney was reported to be very interested in a Robson/Keane scenario, (a double act breathlessly reported by Spillage in particular), but this has been shown to be complete b*llix.
I cannot see the likes of Troussier do anything but give a polite answer to a direct question, but if given the job, not allow one personality to dominate everything. I suspect Brian Kerr would be the same. The rest of the candidates, imho, are simply below standard and should not be considered seriously.
The FAI are a joke, but the "soccer press" here aren't much better and in some cases, for example those cases well known to Cork people, are even more amateurish and petty than the FAI itself.
Dervan, Quinn, Dunphy etc. etc. etc.......:(

The Legend
22/01/2003, 10:25 PM
The Echo has a story saying that Robson will be the manager with Roy Keane as assistant !

The Echo? They can't even spell! If they had a page 3 column with Mary-Theresa from Blackpool, only then might they worth "reading"

ArdeeBhoy
18/06/2013, 7:53 AM
Oops.
http://balls.ie/football/the-hilarious-joe-kinnear-talksport-interview/
Not one for the faint-hearted.

Yard of Pace
18/06/2013, 10:29 AM
Oops.
http://balls.ie/football/the-hilarious-joe-kinnear-talksport-interview/
Not one for the faint-hearted.

He sounds like he's losing his marbles to me.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 11:34 AM
Very harsh on Joe. Clear media agenda making a story out of nothing. He's been mispronouncing names for decades. Big deal.

- People nitpicking his amount of Tottenham appearances and then getting it wrong by listing only league appearances.
- I don't know what the details were on his working with Krul, looks like he made a mistake as he sent Krul out on loan during his season there, so don't think he was involved in signing him back in 2005.
- He lists the players that are there that he knows, including James Perch who he gave his debut to while at Forest and articles are trying to say that he said he signed him for Newcastle when he didn't actually say that. He said that he knew him.

Would be funny if they weren't trying to tear a man to shreds. Whether he's the right man for this job in this day and age is another matter. The sad state of journalism continues.

Edit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10126824/Joe-Kinnears-radio-interview-blunders-the-truth-behind-his-outrageous-claims.html

- Nitpicking the amount he bought and sold Dean Holdsworth for. Either way it's a £3m profit.
- Highlighting his 'sacking' from Luton which was a disgrace and shambles of the highest order. They were taken over by shady 'businessmen', all the directors resigned, he was dismissed by an employee of Northampton Town and the new manager was appointed by public telephone vote.
- The reporter claims John Scales left on a free in response to Joe saying he sold him for £3m. Quick internet search says he was sold for £3.5m.

Irony clearly is lost on some people. Attempting to make someone appear as a delusional liar by making up a load of ******** themselves. Sad.

Kingdom
18/06/2013, 2:09 PM
The Echo has a story saying that Robson will be the manager with
Roy Keane as assistant !:rolleyes:
The FAI will never get it's act together

The echo weren't far off in the end!

Yard of Pace
18/06/2013, 3:50 PM
Very harsh on Joe. Clear media agenda making a story out of nothing. He's been mispronouncing names for decades. Big deal.

- People nitpicking his amount of Tottenham appearances and then getting it wrong by listing only league appearances.
- I don't know what the details were on his working with Krul, looks like he made a mistake as he sent Krul out on loan during his season there, so don't think he was involved in signing him back in 2005.
- He lists the players that are there that he knows, including James Perch who he gave his debut to while at Forest and articles are trying to say that he said he signed him for Newcastle when he didn't actually say that. He said that he knew him.

Would be funny if they weren't trying to tear a man to shreds. Whether he's the right man for this job in this day and age is another matter. The sad state of journalism continues.

Edit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10126824/Joe-Kinnears-radio-interview-blunders-the-truth-behind-his-outrageous-claims.html

- Nitpicking the amount he bought and sold Dean Holdsworth for. Either way it's a £3m profit.
- Highlighting his 'sacking' from Luton which was a disgrace and shambles of the highest order. They were taken over by shady 'businessmen', all the directors resigned, he was dismissed by an employee of Northampton Town and the new manager was appointed by public telephone vote.
- The reporter claims John Scales left on a free in response to Joe saying he sold him for £3m. Quick internet search says he was sold for £3.5m.

Irony clearly is lost on some people. Attempting to make someone appear as a delusional liar by making up a load of ******** themselves. Sad.

He once said he had to leave the Nepal job as the king was deposed or something like that. The actual event he was referring to happened 14 years after he left. I do agree the media are going to town on this but there's definitely a middle ground where you acknowledge that you have a man approaching his 70s who's getting more adversarial by the day taking on a high-profile job at a place where he's not liked and sounds quite mad in that interview (manager of the year 3 times, has the ear of any manager in the world etc.), so what do you expect.

paul_oshea
18/06/2013, 3:53 PM
Himself and Ashley are great mates, that's what this is all about. Spent many a nights boozing together in many North London watering holes. That's how he got the job initially, fair play to Ashley he looks after all his mates.

Charlie Darwin
18/06/2013, 3:57 PM
He did an interview.

ArdeeBhoy
18/06/2013, 4:47 PM
Hence a link.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 4:48 PM
He once said he had to leave the Nepal job as the king was deposed or something like that. The actual event he was referring to happened 14 years after he left. I do agree the media are going to town on this but there's definitely a middle ground where you acknowledge that you have a man approaching his 70s who's getting more adversarial by the day taking on a high-profile job at a place where he's not liked and sounds quite mad in that interview (manager of the year 3 times, has the ear of any manager in the world etc.), so what do you expect.

I haven't seen any quotes on what he actually said about his time in Nepal. All I can see is people referring to what he apparently said. Like this one:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/joe-kinnear-radio-interview-line-by-line-1960189
Citing a raft of incorrect stats, fees and anecdotes - though none as alarming as his one-time assertion that he was Nepal manager during the Prince Diphendra massacre even though it happened 14 years after he left

So without seeing the context I can't really say much about it. Potentially a joke gone wrong?

The above mirror article also says that "You would have done with your points-per-game ratio." in response to him saying "and no way would we have gone down.". Granted Newcastle weren't great and they were on a bad run but he got them 20 points from 18 games and that ratio if continued would have kept them up. So much rubbish being spun here from virtually every media outlet.

I'd say he's being very defensive and exaggerates his accomplishments and expertise. I don't think he's acting mad at all. Like he mentions there's been a load of rubbish written and speculated in the past couple of days to make him look mental. Things such as 'Newcastle fail to confirm Kinnear role' etc making it look like he'd appointed himself and gone completely bonkers. Like I said earlier I don't know if he's going to be a great appointment but if Ashley and Newcastle want him then that's their business. No need for this character assassination stuff.

Yard of Pace
18/06/2013, 5:18 PM
He's 66 and he's had a heart attack before. If he was my dad, I'd bring him for a round of pitch and putt, a couple of pints and tell him to retire ta f*ck. Whatever about his brain, his temperament will lead to another banger if he keeps up with this.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 5:34 PM
Can't disagree with that. This hasn't been handled well by Newcastle's media people at all.

ArdeeBhoy
18/06/2013, 5:49 PM
Or his agent, presuming he still uses one.
Does he need work that badly?

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 6:11 PM
He may do. This certainly appears like a case of the old pals' act (part two). He's only worked as a manager for about 14 months in the last 10 years. I doubt his 7 years at Wimbledon and 2 at Luton saw him minted even though he would've been earning a nice wedge.

Spudulika
18/06/2013, 7:36 PM
1. He had a go at journo's.
2. He's not really english.
3. There are more important news stories (continuing slaughter in Syria, lies by the British govt, City swindling etc) that have to be covered up.

It's depressing in so many ways but this is what our own press aspire to. Race to the slime at the bottom of the gutter.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 8:24 PM
http://tyneandwear.sky.com/newcastleunited/article/70923/kinnears-transfer-dealings-54-players-signed-but-no-frenchmen

The above article has the headline "Joe Kinnear's Transfer Dealing History: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen". They obviously never heard of Jean-Louis Valois. Quality player who Joe signed for Luton in the 4th division from Lille. Really bizarre to see these journalists go out of their way to be critical of someone that they have to make up pure outright lies.

Charlie Darwin
18/06/2013, 8:28 PM
They actually made a list of all his transfers? Well, bar one it seems.

Interesting to see quite a few successful managers among the players he managed at Wimbledon.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 8:41 PM
Yeh. The headline says 54 and they go on to name 41 of them with 10 unnamed for Luton, including Frenchman Jean-Louis Valois. Unless you were a Luton fan in 2001 you'd be none the wiser and would think that the article was legit.

Closed Account 2
18/06/2013, 9:32 PM
And the lesson is keep the journalists on side or else you're done. Contrast Kinnears treatment with that of Arry Redknapp. Redknapp's dodgy as anything but the media have him walking on water.

Spudulika
18/06/2013, 9:38 PM
Brian Kerr found that out to his expense, Trap knows the score but doesn't give a damn. The most successful of all was Ferguson, being shut out of Old Trafford was too much to bear for the boys in the press pack.

Irwin3
18/06/2013, 11:20 PM
I found the Nepal quotes for those interested:

And then there was the daddy of them all, when a nugget of information and a line I was desperate to write (“If Joe Kinnear thought he had a mountain to climb when he was manager of Nepal …”) came out on a rare quiet day. So, big Joe Kinnear. Tell us about Nepal.
“I was in Nepal for two years as their national coach. I was there with Crown Prince Dipendra who was to be their future prince (he meant king). It was a real experience for me. I was just starting out as a coach, I was in Dubai also for two years. Nepal was to coach the national team, the contract was good, financially it was good. He was the King’s son, he had to marry some other bird. I had better be careful here or I will be having a political war.
“He (the Crown Prince) was one of my closest friends, he was head of their FA. I was there when the whole of the royal family was killed. He was my best friend, so he used to come back to London, we would meet and go to matches. When I went back over there, he was the guy I answered to.
“There were two castes out there. He was forced to marry another girl but he didn’t want to. He was ordered by his parents to marry her when that was the last thing he really wanted to do. He wanted to marry someone else but he couldn’t … like the usual crap. So what did he do? He killed them all and then blew his own brains out.”
What!? Really!? “I never really felt like my life was at risk,” he said. “It came out of the blue when it happened. I got out of there about three days after and I have never been back.”

So he's either sexing up his whereabouts for drama, gone completely mental and thinks it happened in 1987 or he in fact was there on holiday on June 1st, 2001. Without explicitly asking I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he claims he was such good friends with the prince then it would have been possible for him to be there in 2001. Without further evidence you can't really say for sure.

Charlie Darwin
18/06/2013, 11:31 PM
I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there. He doesn't help himself with his rambling accounts of things but I doubt he'd invent a massacre 12 years before it actually happened. A half-decent journalist would have rung him back to clarify, but I guess they just assumed the massacre happened in '89 or whenever Kinnear was in charge.

Crosby87
19/06/2013, 12:58 AM
If you look at his wiki profile it says he was mispronouncing many of the players names on talksport yesterday. :D

geysir
19/06/2013, 10:17 AM
Joe does remind me of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction, as the 'cleaner'.
The FAI could have employed him on a short term contract, to get rid of Trap after the Euros.

Crosby87
19/06/2013, 11:19 AM
Joe does remind me of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction, as the 'cleaner'.

How come in the Keitel scene it's early in the morning on a weekday but he is at a party in a tuxedo and even earlier than that those chaps were eating burgers for breakfast?

Crosby87
19/06/2013, 11:32 AM
Mike Ashleys voice has only been heard one time?
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/6976?cc=5901

paul_oshea
19/06/2013, 12:42 PM
How come in the Keitel scene it's early in the morning on a weekday but he is at a party in a tuxedo and even earlier than that those chaps were eating burgers for breakfast?

Ya so many of his films are flawed, I hate them. Django is the only one about half decent. YOu have to escape and remove yourself from reality to enjoy them, otherwise holes can be picked everywhere.

peadar1987
19/06/2013, 12:56 PM
Ya so many of his films are flawed, I hate them. Django is the only one about half decent. YOu have to escape and remove yourself from reality to enjoy them, otherwise holes can be picked everywhere.

Enjoyable films still have a place in the world though, even if they don't say anything deep and meaningful about life. The time of day isn't particularly important to Pulp Fiction as a viewing experience.

Yard of Pace
19/06/2013, 1:05 PM
In the world of Los Angeles organised crime, I don't think they really live by the same rules of time as the rest of us do. Jules and Vince surprise the students around 7:30 in the morning while they're eating a breakfast of cheeseburgers from Big Kahuna. Then they go to Wallace's bar and Bruce Willis is sitting at the bar having a drink.

It's the way they roll, I guess.

paul_oshea
19/06/2013, 1:08 PM
I've never found a bar in LA opened that early in the morning serving alcohol.

What I don't understand with all these films, especially big budgets its how they make such fundamental mistakes around these things, for me it can ruin the film.

Like Bravehart, I love it but it annoyed me when I saw the guy that gets his face bitten by Muireann appear in a battle scene later on, although he had been killed by William when he returned after his wife had her throat slit. Also where you can see the bloody wire trailing behind the camera at the start of one of the battle scenes.

osarusan
19/06/2013, 1:56 PM
In the world of Los Angeles organised crime, I don't think they really live by the same rules of time as the rest of us do. Jules and Vince surprise the students around 7:30 in the morning while they're eating a breakfast of cheeseburgers from Big Kahuna. Then they go to Wallace's bar and Bruce Willis is sitting at the bar having a drink.

It's the way they roll, I guess.
But in between they'd shot the guy in the head, and had to have the whole car cleaned up. That took time, including waiting for the wolf. Then they went to the wrecker's yard, and had to take a taxi from there. They had breakfast in the cafe where they ran into Tim roth robbing the place.

Plenty of time elapsed between the students' apartment and the bar.

Junior
19/06/2013, 2:04 PM

Thats bull$hit. Pulp Fiction rocks. Your comment is akin to the Robbie bashers, everyone knows the quality but a few naysayers have to come out of the woodwork. I think from now on we should refer to James McCarthy as 'Le BIG Mac' just for your benefit Paul.