PDA

View Full Version : St Pats v Cork City - Match report

DRDoc
03/04/2007, 12:11 AM
taken from http://myirishfootballblog.blogspot.com/

Pats made it eight wins from nine games this season with a hard fought one nil win over Cork City tonight. That's a Setanta Cup double over Cork for St Pats and tonight's win guarantees them a home draw in the Semi Final. Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane were both in the crowd - presumably to cast their eyes over Roy Donovan,

Its been pointed out over the last week by a number of observers that St Pats are playing as good as any League of Ireland ever has. I don't personally agree with that but it is fair to say that they are very much a team on form and they certainly are full of confidence. This years side is essentially only three or four players different from the side that finished in seventh place last year. Last years side only managed nine league wins all season long!

Whether Pats can keep this form up for most of the season remains to be seen. What I would say is that perhaps everything is going their way at the moment - not that I want to take anything away from their start. Also I think there will be question marks regarding the size and depth of the squad and it will be interesting to see how they would cope with a couple of injuries. Indeed the fact that Mulcahy was playing at wing back tonight shows how limited the squad is

Pats didn't click tonight like they have done on occasions this season. I think a lot of that was down to the fact that Joe Gamble did an excellent job closing down Ndo whenever Pats were in possession. As well as that Cork generally looked busy whenever they didnt have the ball

The only goal of the came came on 27 minutes from a corner kick. A Fahey corner kick fell to central defender Maguire who lashed it in from close range

Cork got a hold of the game in the second half and started to control things. They had the lions share of the possession however they were unable to convert that possession into chances - either guilt edge chances or even half chances. In fairness Pats defence also held strong and were very compact.

For Cork Liam Kearney had his best game since returning - he didnt stay out wide but drifted all around - he was looking for the ball all night long. I think he is going to be a big player for City this season and maybe he can provide some much needed creativity in the final third. This is where City are really missing Neale Fenn this season.

With Kearney drifting infield and ODonovan playing up front City really lacked width and that was disappointing as I have thought that so far this season St Pats afford wide players a little bit too much space.

St Pats had a few good chances to seal the win in the last twenty minutes but a combination of poor finishing and good goal keeping meant they were under pressure til the final whistle

And shortly after full time it was more bad news for City as it was confirmed that Farrelly and Healy were not cleared by FIFA to play until July 1st. Its a ridiculous situation and can only presume the players/club/fai will appeal the decision

taken from http://myirishfootballblog.blogspot.com/

Dodge
03/04/2007, 12:15 AM
For the record, only Pats fans having a luagh said we're playing the best football ever. No one else has said it seriously

Oh and Mulcahy was played there to help his fitness, not for any other reasons

Risteard
03/04/2007, 12:47 AM
Hopefully, third time lucky v Pats in the Setanta final.

DRDoc
03/04/2007, 12:47 AM
I heard one pundit on the radio over the weekend saying pats were playing the best the league has seen

And I read another similiar comment in one of the papers by someone else

Dodge - how do you rate the squad and its depth and quality?

razor
03/04/2007, 8:05 AM
I heard one pundit on the radio over the weekend saying pats were playing the best the league has seenPaul Osam?

And I read another similiar comment in one of the papers by someone elsePaul Osam?

razor
03/04/2007, 9:06 AM
Was just on the FAI website, who wrote their match report? :confused:
Seems quite different to the one posted in this thread.

Here (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1908)

Ridiculous stuff.
Turns out now we have to beat Dungannon to qualify for the semis.:eek:
Ridden Rock Solid again. :mad:

Dodge
03/04/2007, 9:17 AM
The RTE match report is spot on IMO

Highlights here

http://www.stpatsfc.com/watch_video.php?id=50

charliesboots
03/04/2007, 9:27 AM
pretty accurate report in The Irish Times (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2007/0403/1175550206096.html)

St Patrick's take control

Paul O'Hehir At Richmond Park

St Patricks Athletic 1 Cork City 0: Already through to the semi-finals, St Patrick's Athletic secured a home semi-final last night with a performance that typified their season. The tenacity, graft and honesty with which they have played this season was replicated once again.

The platform for victory was build on an impenetrable defence, one which we assume frustrated the on-looking Mick McCarthy, and a Celtic scout, as much as it did the visitors. The Wolves manager and Celtic are keen on Roy O'Donovan, but the Cork striker was well shackled throughout. St Patrick's started cautiously as Cork surged forward, but a final ball was lacking. Indeed, O'Donovan cut a lonely figure up front and Stephen Brennan and Darragh Maguire had the striker's measure.

St Patrick's soon adopted the creative role. Joseph Ndo and Gary O'Neill tricked their way deep into Cork territory, regularly leaving the covering defence flatfooted. However, despite that inventiveness, it took a defender to break the deadlock.

Keith Fahey's corner on the half hour was poorly dealt with and Darragh Maguire pounced to fire low to the net through a sea of bodies.

From that point on, notwithstanding a Cork surge near half-time when Denis Behan went close, St Patrick's were in control. They still had to scrap hard, but their fleetness of foot when in possession flummoxed the visitors.

Cork were far more creative in the second period, with Joe Gamble grafting hard in midfield.

However, their attacks repeatedly fizzled out with neither O'Donovan nor Behan on form to capitalise. The hosts, on the other hand, could have doubled their advantage late on, but O'Neill and Alan Kirby were denied from close range by goalkeeper Michael Devine.

Damien Richardson's side are all but through anyway, as their next opponents, Dungannon, need to win by seven goals away from home in a fortnight's time.

Last night, Dungannon drew 1-1 at home to Portadown.

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC: Ryan; Maguire, Brennan, C Foley; Mulcahy, Fahey, Kirby, Ndo (Rooney 90 mins), Frost; M Quigley (O;Connor 90 mins), O'Neill.

CORK CITY: Devine; Horgan, Kelly (Cillian Lordan 88 mins), Murray, Ryan; O'Brien (Cathal Lordan 72 mins), Gamble, Softic, Kearney; O'Donovan, Behan.

Referee: M Courtney (IFA).
© 2007 The Irish Times

AustinoAsprilla
03/04/2007, 9:36 AM
I think it is only us Pats fans in the stadium saying we are playing the best football ever seen to keep us entertained at half time... but we are enjoying the season thats for sure!

Squad IMO nowhere big enough to even hope to challenge for the league. Especially up front. If O'Neill or Quigley gets injured / suspended / off-form we will struggle badly. But a promising season it looks to be.

The Setanta is making us look better then we really are as we've now won 8 in 9 but realistically only 4 of them were in the league. Sligo have got off to a really good start as well. so I think it will be a couple of months before we see if Pats are gonna do anything this season.

Maybe the cup............ ;-)

Jerry The Saint
03/04/2007, 9:57 AM
The Soccerati were out in force at Richmond Park last night. And who could blame them?

Besides the obvious (Tom of course, as mentioned on the main thread) there were confirmed sightings of

Packie Bonner (pronounced Boner)
Roy Keane (pronounced Pri... nah, let's not go there ;) )
Mick McCarthy
Tony O'Donoghue (paid in :eek: )
Darragh Maloney (scored the only goal of the game (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/0402/1175521078990.html))

The Studio 54 of the eircom League.:D

Also reports of other English managers - Steve Coppell is probably bored of watching Cork at this stage, anyone see any other famous faces?

razor
03/04/2007, 10:07 AM
Steve Coppell is probably bored of watching Cork at this stage, anyone see any other famous faces?Probably fell asleep in McDowells after his customary 5 pints of Guinness, serves him right.

And why wouldn't TOD pay in, i'm sure ye charged all the other Cork City fans.

charliesboots
03/04/2007, 10:21 AM
Awful poor defending by Cork for Maloney's goal

pete
03/04/2007, 12:05 PM
I think Pats fans should be happy with the start to the season as its a boost in confidence however its hard to win a league with such little possession especially at home.

Maguire was the crucial player as he did seemed to pop up everywhere. Pats had some other chances on the break but I thought City dominated the game. If it was a league we would have played O'Flynn & attacked the back 3 in the wide positions - Behan not suitable for that game.

Seen Ndo in both games now & doesn't contribute much.

Dodge
03/04/2007, 12:11 PM
I'd say pats controlled the game and wouldn't say Cork dominated in any way. Its all well and good having posession but if its your centre halves with the ball, what use? Ndo was very poor last night

Oh and we don't have enough strikers to sustain a challenge for the league. Maguire, who was superb last night, is our 4th choice centre half and we're pretty strong in Midfield but if O'Neill or Quigley gets injured we're fecked.

Ndo was very very poor last night

Hibs4Ever
03/04/2007, 12:44 PM
I think Pats fans should be happy with the start to the season as its a boost in confidence however its hard to win a league with such little possession especially at home.

Maguire was the crucial player as he did seemed to pop up everywhere. Pats had some other chances on the break but I thought City dominated the game. If it was a league we would have played O'Flynn & attacked the back 3 in the wide positions - Behan not suitable for that game.

Seen Ndo in both games now & doesn't contribute much.

Remind me of any saves Barry Ryan had to make

Pablo Escobar
03/04/2007, 12:49 PM
I just want to thank Pats fans for their hospitality in McDowells after the game! ;)

micls
03/04/2007, 2:32 PM
I'd say pats controlled the game and wouldn't say Cork dominated in any way. Its all well and good having posession but if its your centre halves with the ball, what use? Ndo was very poor last night
We dominated possession but there was no creativity for the final ball. And honestly i dont see where its going to come from against the stronger teams without Healy or Farrelly giving us more options.

Agree Ndo was shocking

Oh and we don't have enough strikers to sustain a challenge for the league. Maguire, who was superb last night, is our 4th choice centre half and we're pretty strong in Midfield but if O'Neill or Quigley gets injured we're fecked.

I dunno Dodge. Any other year Id agree with you but this year is a strange one.Less quality in the teams overall and an average enough team could win it

Drogheda would walk away with it if it werent for doolin
Derry cant buy a win these days and were no great shakes this year so Pats will be there or there abouts come the end of the season anyway.

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 3:15 PM
both teams were very poor and it wont have improved any of the distinguished guest's opinions of the league if those were supposed to be the two on-form teams at the moment. apart from the set piece, all of SPA's chances came "on the break", and didnt seem to worry mick too much. for all our possession we created very little, though denis behan missing from 5 yards and the ref bottling it when barry ryan attacked roy o'donovan added a slight feeling of frustration.
the farrelly/healy decision was much worse news last night as i cant see last nights result affecting the rest of our season beyond deciding a venue.

Hibs4Ever
03/04/2007, 3:56 PM
both teams were very poor and it wont have improved any of the distinguished guest's opinions of the league if those were supposed to be the two on-form teams at the moment. apart from the set piece, all of SPA's chances came "on the break", and didnt seem to worry mick too much. for all our possession we created very little, though denis behan missing from 5 yards and the ref bottling it when barry ryan attacked roy o'donovan added a slight feeling of frustration.
the farrelly/healy decision was much worse news last night as i cant see last nights result affecting the rest of our season beyond deciding a venue.

"ATTACKED" Get a grip will you. O'Donavan went in with high studs on Ryan. Ryan went to O'Donovan and they hit shoulders. O'donovan went down like he was shot, a disgrace, as shown here:

http://www.stpatsfc.com/watch_video.php?id=50

Obviously not happy he was found out by a good defence in front of watching eyes. I notice you don't mentionhis 2 footed lunge on Keith Fahey

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 4:25 PM
"ATTACKED" Get a grip will you. O'Donavan went in with high studs on Ryan. Ryan went to O'Donovan and they hit shoulders. O'donovan went down like he was shot, a disgrace, as shown here
:confused: those are some mighty red tinted glasses you've got there. o'donovan chased a ball he was entirely justified in going for, and if barry ryan wants to stick his hands in there its his own business. luckily for ryan and st. apts, he's an experienced scumbag and rather than raising his hands, he turned around, away from play, and charged at roy with his shoulder and head. you can't have professionals reacting like that attacking each other and it makes a mockery of st. pat's "family club" boast that the coke convict isn't condemned for this kind of action that he seems quite partial to.

the disgrace is both that ryan proceeded to stand over o'donovan shouting abuse and pulling at his jersey, and that the referee bottled it - not for the first time that night, given his rather mixed understanding of the "advantage" rule.

pete
03/04/2007, 4:30 PM
"ATTACKED" Get a grip will you. O'Donavan went in with high studs on Ryan. Ryan went to O'Donovan and they hit shoulders. O'donovan went down like he was shot, a disgrace, as shown here:

From our angle looked headbutt but i'll admit pictures not conclusive & if he was really hurt would not have got up so quickly.

I thought the ref was poor as he would penalise head high foot but rarely penalised high studs for both sides. His advantage rulings with inconsistent too - i could not figure out when he would allow or deny it. Watching IL refs makes me appreciate eL refs.

Was reasonable game but in weak group these games have not been too competitive. Would welcome a Pats v City final & chance to do a Drogs. :)

Jerry The Saint
03/04/2007, 4:42 PM
he's an experienced scumbag and rather than raising his hands, he turned around, away from play, and charged at roy with his shoulder and head.

the disgrace is both that ryan proceeded to stand over o'donovan shouting abuse and pulling at his jersey, and that the referee bottled it - not for the first time that night, given his rather mixed understanding of the "advantage" rule.

Why is O'Donovan holding his face when there was clearly no contact made with his face:confused: Seemed to be quite a nasty injury judging by the way he fell, stayed down and rolled about in agony. To be fair, he showed excellent powers of recovery by playing on after the "shoulder/head charge". :rolleyes:

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 4:46 PM
Why is O'Donovan holding his face when there was clearly no contact made with his face:confused: Seemed to be quite a nasty injury judging by the way he fell, stayed down and rolled about in agony. To be fair, he showed excellent powers of recovery by playing on after the "shoulder/head charge". :rolleyes:

clearly? i'm guessing you're basing that on a youtube clip, or else you'll know it wasn't clear. it looking like a headbutt if anything from the right side of the stand, closer to the incident. if any contact was made with roy's face, he's fully justified in milking it, and in any case, roy's actions afterwards hardly impact on the fact that that scumbag cokehead couldnt control himself as usual.

Hibs4Ever
03/04/2007, 4:50 PM
clearly? i'm guessing you're basing that on a youtube clip, or else you'll know it wasn't clear. it looking like a headbutt if anything from the right side of the stand, closer to the incident. if any contact was made with roy's face, he's fully justified in milking it, and in any case, roy's actions afterwards hardly impact on the fact that that scumbag cokehead couldnt control himself as usual.

So you think he was right to try get a fellow professional sent off??

You Sir are a muppet

There was NO contact to O'Donovans face. How could you possibly see from where you were, and then question a clip which also shows there was no contact to his face. I was standing on that side, and end of the ground and saw it clearly

He wasn't hit in face, FACT he went to ground holding his face FACT. A cheat you might say

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 5:08 PM
He wasn't hit in face, FACT he went to ground holding his face FACT. A cheat you might say

if thats cheating, what exactly is attacking another player?

the clip doesnt bloody show anything, its not even in focus. as i said, whether or not roy milked it, it hardly changes the fact you havent addressed - junkie turned an innocuous challenge into an agressive attack.

kdjaC
03/04/2007, 5:14 PM

Hmmm interesting points.....so play 3 at the back, close Cork down in midfield and force them to hoof it and then hit them on the break with pacy players.....im intrigued by your ideas.

Yours

Johnny Mac

Tbh tho Cork the only team who have tried to play football vs us but the 3 at the back and midfield shiel just forces them to go long and Maguire and Foley just love that. Brennan can play it out and has pace so that covers any tru balls which may get tru, none last night and only 1 in 1st leg. By jove i think we have Cork sussed :D

kdjac

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 5:21 PM
Tbh tho Cork the only team who have tried to play football vs us but the 3 at the back and midfield shiel just forces them to go long and Maguire and Foley just love that. Brennan can play it out and has pace so that covers any tru balls which may get tru, none last night and only 1 in 1st leg. By jove i think we have Cork sussed :D

kdjac

in fairness, the only reason we played 4-3-3 last night was due to our comically small squad, and because we still needed to win with our young 'uns, because a draw would do nothing for us. its true, we have little creativity at the moment in midfield, as joe gamble is the best at what he does, but he's not creative, and cathal lordan and admir softic just arent ready for being in the midfield for a top-4 premier division side at the moment. its interesting that people's opinions of kearney varied so much - some people saw him as city's most active player, others saw him as being a total waste - he very rarely got his crosses past the first man.

we've found it hard to break teams down at the best of times without fenn, o'callaghan and o'flynn compared to our championship side, but the hope was that farrelly and healy in particular would make us a little less dependant on bypassing the middle - hence the frustration and fear following FIFA's latest farce.

kdjaC
03/04/2007, 5:33 PM
O Donovan will score alot of goals running off the backs of the centre backs but vs 3 he hasnt a hope, Behan doesnt hold the ball up even if he turns his back and plays back to goal he does nothing useful. So no payers can run onto him he awlasy attacks the balll even when 20 yards out.

When Healy and Farrelly play Roy and Kearney will beneift most but tbh we will still Cork sussed.

We have too small a squad to win league so hopefully get to finals of SSC or the mythical FAI cup would be ice.

kdjac

Celdrog
03/04/2007, 5:35 PM
following FIFA's latest farce.
If everone else is cleared to play then how come it's a FIFA farce? Are they now riding Cork rock solid. Is it a Zurich conspiracy perhaps?
Two extra players will not make your squad a decent size either. The team will be better but the squad will be marginally improved.

pete
03/04/2007, 5:42 PM
I don't think our tactics were great against 3 man defence last night. I would have preferred O'Donovan to drift wide to find space in the corners.

Still though its interesting to see Pats go back to their previously successful 3-5-2 as makes games a bit more interesting than seeing 4-4-2 line up against each other.

kdjaC
03/04/2007, 5:46 PM
I don't think our tactics were great against 3 man defence last night. I would have preferred O'Donovan to drift wide to find space in the corners.

Still though its interesting to see Pats go back to their previously successful 3-5-2 as makes games a bit more interesting than seeing 4-4-2 line up against each other.

Can only play that when you have decent wingbacks luckily we have 2 Murphy and Frost (crolly and clarke last time) shame one injured and the other suspended so back to the small squad thing and 433 on friday.

kdjac

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 7:53 PM
If everone else is cleared to play then how come it's a FIFA farce? Are they now riding Cork rock solid. Is it a Zurich conspiracy perhaps?yes, its a farce. as you said, everyone else is cleared. it'd make you wonder.

Two extra players will not make your squad a decent size either. The team will be better but the squad will be marginally improved.we're suffering lots of injuries at the moment, they're what've reduced our available squad size, not FIFA. We also had one player not available due to work commitments, our only remaining player not working full time in football. Tough to keep a squad like that going when you're not in the business of hemorrhaging money

Celdrog
03/04/2007, 8:35 PM
yes, its a farce. as you said, everyone else is cleared.
No - I asked how was it a FIFA farce? Please try to keep up Gav - time is of the essence, I can only ask these questions for another few months as you have correctly pointed out we will be playing LSL football next season.
It's a Cork City farce (again).

GavinZac
03/04/2007, 8:48 PM
No - I asked how was it a FIFA farce? It's a Cork City farce (again).
its a cork city farce because FIFA have, inexplicably, decided its one rule for us and another for the rest? par for the course really, i suppose. you can't be this superior without a bit of bad feeling from the peasants.

Celdrog
03/04/2007, 8:52 PM
i suppose. you can't be this superior without a bit of bad feeling from the peasants.
:D :D
Well I'll soon know what its like to be a peasant (again):D

kdjaC
03/04/2007, 8:58 PM
its a cork city farce because FIFA have, inexplicably, decided its one rule for us and another for the rest? par for the course really, i suppose. you can't be this superior without a bit of bad feeling from the peasants.

How exactly?

I think that's it's fair enough to block Healy's transfer, and I'm saying that as a Cork City supporter. In 2006 he played for Sunderland, Livingston, Barnsley and then Bradford, all in the one year! From April 3rd 2006 and to present, Cork City will be his 4th team. Same story with Farrelly; Bohs, Leicester, Blackpool and now Cork City.

Is this correct? I thought Cork were the 3rd team for each player, this is what the rule is designed to prevent ffs. Next you be saying week to week contracts are a good thing.

kdjac

pete
04/04/2007, 11:17 AM
Is this correct? I thought Cork were the 3rd team for each player, this is what the rule is designed to prevent ffs. Next you be saying week to week contracts are a good thing.

The FIFA rule is can only play for 2 teams between July 1st to June 30th. Healy would not be allowed to play for another team in the UK but cannot see how Farrelly being denied as he almost exactly the same as Mascherano. The only explanation is one rule for the big clubs (remember how Uefa changed the rules to allow Liverpool back in the CL which caused samller teams to be unseeded or moved into different qualifying rounds?)

:mad:

eirebhoy
04/04/2007, 11:29 AM
The platform for victory was build on an impenetrable defence, one which we assume frustrated the on-looking Mick McCarthy, and a Celtic scout, as much as it did the visitors. The Wolves manager and Celtic are keen on Roy O'Donovan, but the Cork striker was well shackled throughout. St Patrick's started cautiously as Cork surged forward, but a final ball was lacking. Indeed, O'Donovan cut a lonely figure up front and Stephen Brennan and Darragh Maguire had the striker's measure.

I can see Celtic putting in a bid for O'Donovan. They've been tracking him for months.

charliesboots
04/04/2007, 11:38 AM
Tcannot see how Farrelly being denied as he almost exactly the same as Mascherano.

Not so Pete, the FIFA rule was designed to prevent players doing exactly what Farrelly did, play in in one league for the 2006 season, during that off-season play in a different league with a different season and then return to the other league with a different club when the 2007 season resumes. Mascherano's was nothing like that.

CuanaD
04/04/2007, 1:28 PM
if thats cheating, what exactly is attacking another player?

the clip doesnt bloody show anything, its not even in focus. as i said, whether or not roy milked it, it hardly changes the fact you havent addressed - junkie turned an innocuous challenge into an agressive attack.

Looking at the clips (2 angles) from a Ref's perspective, the Keeper waranted a yellow for a sholder to the chest reaction to a previous challenge.
The forward should also have received a yellow for ungentlemanly conduct - ie acting to try to influence the ref's decision.
Also, the initial challenge was a foul on the keeper & play should restart with a free out.

Them's the rules:ball:

eirebhoy
04/04/2007, 1:57 PM
I can see Celtic putting in a bid for O'Donovan. They've been tracking him for months.
"I'm ready to step up a level and face a new challenge in my career.

"It's a great feeling to know Celtic are still looking at me, along with other clubs, and what I have to do is make sure that what the scouts see is all positive.

"The trial didn't materialise in January but that's in the past.

"In any case, I'm hoping Gordon Strachan would be like any other boss and prefer to see a player in a competitive situation rather than three or four days in training.

"I'm a great believer in fate and if I'm destined to get to Celtic, so be it. For now my focus has to be to continue to score goals.

"I've spoken to Aiden about what it's like to play at Parkhead and step out in front of 60,000 at an Old Firm game.

"He tells me the buzz is unbelievable and that's something I want to experience in my career.

"Aiden told me when you first walk out the tunnel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and that's something special.

"I'm no different to any lad from Ireland who has grown up with Celtic as their club and it would be a dream to get the chance to join them.

"Darren O'Dea has shown he has the ability and character to come into the first team and play at the top level and that's an encouragement.

"I came over to join Coventry City as a schoolboy when I was 15.

"Gordon Strachan was actually manager at the time but a month or so into my apprenticeship he left.

"I was at Coventry until I was 18 but I'm a different player now to the one that was there at that time.

"My game has developed a lot in the last couple of years and we'll see what comes of the interest in me during the next few months.

"I've not spoken to any club yet and have just been getting info on the interested teams in dribs and drabs from my agent.

"It's good that clubs are keen on me. I don't feel any pressure because there are scouts in the stand. In fact, if anything I use it as motivation and it helps keep me on my toes."

GavinZac
04/04/2007, 9:11 PM
"I'm no different to any lad from Ireland who has grown up with Celtic as their club and it would be a dream to get the chance to join them."

oh **** off roy! :mad: :p

razor
05/04/2007, 8:25 AM
oh **** off roy! :mad: :pWasn't it the other Roy that said that?

bigmac
05/04/2007, 9:32 AM
neutral view on the O'Donovan incident

Went in with high foot and wasn't anywhere near the ball - should have been a free out. Keeper reacted angrily and had a go at him (handbags and no headbutt) - O'Donovan goes down like he's been shot and tries to get the keeper sent off.

Ref got it right - yellow card for both players and a free out.

Gavin, do you think Rivaldo was fully justified in falling over holding his face in 2002 when the ball hit him on the leg as well?

Dodge
05/04/2007, 11:50 AM

Went in with high foot and wasn't anywhere near the ball - should have been a free out. Keeper reacted angrily and had a go at him (handbags and no headbutt) - O'Donovan goes down like he's been shot and tries to get the keeper sent off.

Which I think you'll find has been the view of all the Pats fans here...

GavinZac
06/04/2007, 7:39 PM

neutral... i've read enough of your posts to ignore that claim... and you weren't there. 2 grainy, rubbish angle clips on youtube hardly give you an expert opinion.

Gavin, do you think Rivaldo was fully justified in falling over holding his face in 2002 when the ball hit him on the leg as well?no. rivaldo hadn't just been attacked. if barry ryan shouldered roy in the leg i'd be bemused and wonder if he's been at the crack again.