PDA

View Full Version : Feile lineups

Countyman
02/04/2007, 1:38 PM
Does anyone know or can anyone point me somewhere that I can find the line ups from Feile '91-92.

Lionel Ritchie
03/04/2007, 3:41 PM
I don't but I was at feile 91 and recall the headliners were
Happy Mondays (dreadful),
The Farm (appalling),
Transvision Vamp (brutal),
Van Morrison (didn't even try),
The Pogues (Tragically bad -final live performance with Shane McGowan ...they fired him after it. Memorable mostly for Kirsty McColls cameo)
Elvis Costelloe (my patience was straining by the time EC got to play) and
The Wonderstuff (fantastic ...again punctuated by a cameo from Kirsty on Welcome to the Cheap Seats).

Notable performances also by
Billy Bragg (man of the match in my opinion ...AGAIN punctuated by the wonderful Kirsty.),
Steve Earle
and
The Golden Horde all of whom were on far too early to facilitate some of the muck I'm about to list...

Those I'd have liked to bottle off included (as well as most of the headliners listed)

Nanci Griffith -what oh what were the organisers thinking?!?! audience had zero interest and instead took to cheering gangs of youths building human pyramids ...at one point a chant of "Fcuk Off Nanci!!! Fcuk Off Nanci!!!" took hold and, until The Wonderstuff played, was my entertainment highlight of the festival.
The Mock Turtles who featured a clown on guitar who was so obsessed with trying to be Hendrix re-incarnated he went and got himself over the considerable aesthetic difficulties presented by being white, floppy blonde, 5ft6" and (crucially) unable to play the guitar by buying a left handed stratocaster which he played upside down ...like Hendrix ...see?!?!? That dopey fcuk needs stabbing.

I have to stop now -remembering hurts too much. I only went coz I thought my girlfriend would get caught up in some magic of the moment type vibe and let me bury the baldy man.:(

BohsPartisan
03/04/2007, 4:15 PM
What I saw at Feile 94:
Beautiful South while I was in a drunken stupor, ended up being asked to leave the venue and sober up because I was asleep behind the stand.
Woke up in my tent at the campsite and could hear House of Pain in the distance. Made it back down in time for the Prodigy who I remember being really good.
Inadvertantly caught the Crash Test Dummies on the Sunday while waiting for Blur. Blur were good. Saw Elvis Costello later that evening and a bit of the cranberries. Fairly unmemorable. Best bit of the night was the Hari Krishna tent collapsing at the camps site because there were people on top of it plus the rave at the racecourse grandstand.

In 1995 I saw Tricky, it was daylight and it didn't realy suit him. Caught Kylie just for the Ogle. Went to the pub and came back later to run between the dance tent where Massive Attack were playing and the main stage where the Prodigy were on. Both really good.
Saturday saw Galliano before drinking a bottle of Gin on the bridge over the Lee beside the bus station. Got sick after topping it up with some warm John Smiths. Still wasn't drunk enough to submit to Michael Lowry's daughter who said she'd get me back stage in exchange for a sh@g. Caught the end of the Beautiful South while waiting for Blur. Was sober enough by the time they came on to appreciate a really great show. Then I got the mother of all headaches during the Orb and retired to the campsite for some herbal medicine and some frozen yoghurt from the hari krishna tent.
Sunday saw Menswear who were surprisingly decent then went off on the booze. Got back later to catch Elastica (decent), Weller (great) and The Stone Roses (Great) topped off by Orbital (superb). After some more herbal medicine we rocked the night away in the hari krishna tent with some free food and catchy tunes. Hari Hari Rama, Hari Hari Hari Krishna or something.

stann
03/04/2007, 6:36 PM
Think that makes mine Feile '93 then, but the memory is shot to sh!t.

IIRC, a pretty hamfisted attempt to appease the locals with a sort of family day on the Sunday saw Mary Black, Chris de Burgh and Bjorn Again (or Abbaesque, can't recall) among the acts to take the stage. My mate, with appalling inevitability, decided to act out 'Patricia The Stripper', I really should never have spoken to him again the sad sack! :D
Somebody good, Madness I'm sure, headlined though and saved the night, and then Spiritualised topped the weekend off in fine style.
Can't remember much about the Saturday, only Stiff Little Fingers who were brilliant, Iggy Pop who was Godlike, and being quite impressed with the Cranberries in the Hot Press tent who I'd not heard of up to then. I presume it's a fair cert there would have been a plethora of hairy English Carter/Neds/Stuffies type bands but it was too long ago to remember who.

Remember the campsite though; the DJ with his tidy little set-up for the all-nighter, the Hare Krishnas looking after everybody when the Christian Jugend had f*cked off home, the canvas cover on the toilet block being burned on a bonfire by some crusties, at least one of the racecourse hurdles being set alight, all the tents around us being slashed and smashed after security had buggered off on Sunday evening when it became obvious no more people would be trying to get in for free, cnuts, and our tent standing up to all attacks 'cos it was from 1972 and made of dragon hide and granite! :D

noby
04/04/2007, 8:16 AM
Stann, I only went on the Friday night of feile '93, so I know that Spiritualised weren't on the Sunday.
To me it was brilliant - a load of good bands on Friday night, feck off home Saturday, before I got too crusty.
After a few non-descript openers Teenage Fanclub came on at about 6 o'clock. We then headed down to the square, where we met James Dean Bradfield pottering about (he had bleached his hair and put on about a stone - clever disguise). Back up to watch the preachers while it was still bright. I'm pretty sure the headliners were Therapy, followed by Iggy Pop, who blew the place away. Then it started to rain, 90% of the crowd left, and Spiritualized came on and stole the show.

Wolfie
04/04/2007, 8:42 AM
Feile 94: We'd hired a mini-van to get us to Tipp and arrived there at 11am. We had two things to do - 1) Set up the Tent 2) Get Hammered. Unfortunately, we decided that we'd embark on No 2 of the above first.

Attempted to set up tent many hours later. Reminded me of that segment of the Generation Game where contestants were asked to mimic a certain task and Bruce Forsyth would ask "Lets see how they got on. Oh dear.....".

Bit of a sketchy memory of who was on the bill and what day but......I remember M People on the Saturday afternoon being particularly tragic in that they were intent on "getting down" with the kids. Beautiful South really got the crowd warmed up and Paul Heaton endured the "You Fat *******" chants with good grace.

Blur were great in 94 although they were on way too early. Primal Scream were good as well.

Sunday hadn't much to offer - Crash Test Dummies (****e), Elvis Costello (Good) The Cranberries (Crap).

Back then I still refused to wear my glasses despite being blind as a bat. I tended to leave them in my pocket and I hadn't invested in contacts yet. While staggering about on the camp site I managed to break the specs in half. I spent the remainder of the weekend looking at the gig with an old style one lens "monocle" that raised many strange looks.

Feile 95 - Got the train to Cork and we embarked on a marathon pub crawl. Can only remember "The Boo Radleys" late on the Saturday afternoon and the crowd remained underwhelmed. Blur were excellent headliners on the Saturday Night.

Sunday was all about the Roses gig for me. I was (and still am) a Roses nut and had spent 6 years of my life waiting to see them play. I thought they were great - but many who were there have disagreed with me.

razor
04/04/2007, 10:18 AM
Notable performances also by
Billy Bragg (man of the match in my opinion ...AGAIN punctuated by the wonderful Kirsty.),
Steve Earle
and
The Golden Horde all of whom were on far too early to facilitate some of the muck I'm about to list... Not forgetting Frank Black who did an execellent solo set just before The Farm.
Some very drunk Dublin lad came up to me in the middle of Frank and asked me was it The Farm? Oh how we laughed.

stann
04/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Stann, I only went on the Friday night of feile '93, so I know that Spiritualised weren't on the Sunday.
To me it was brilliant - a load of good bands on Friday night, feck off home Saturday, before I got too crusty.
After a few non-descript openers Teenage Fanclub came on at about 6 o'clock. We then headed down to the square, where we met James Dean Bradfield pottering about (he had bleached his hair and put on about a stone - clever disguise). Back up to watch the preachers while it was still bright. I'm pretty sure the headliners were Therapy, followed by Iggy Pop, who blew the place away. Then it started to rain, 90% of the crowd left, and Spiritualized came on and stole the show.

Ah, as I said the memory is gone to ****. Therapy? rings a bell though. And so Spiritualised were on after Iggy then, me mind was blown by them, that must be it. I'm only glad I got the right year. :D

Eoingull
05/04/2007, 12:23 AM
Countyman, I'm at home this weekend, where I definitely have the programmes stashed away somewhere. I'll have a look, and post anything I come across on here.

Lionel Ritchie
05/04/2007, 2:08 PM
Not forgetting Frank Black who did an execellent solo set just before The Farm.
Some very drunk Dublin lad came up to me in the middle of Frank and asked me was it The Farm? Oh how we laughed.

I missed Frank Black because a mate of said Girlfriend was having a crisis of some sort ...probably couldn't remember the name of someone who owed her a pull on a cigarette. Meanest person ever.

Countyman
06/04/2007, 11:49 PM
Countyman, I'm at home this weekend, where I definitely have the programmes stashed away somewhere. I'll have a look, and post anything I come across on here.

good man..as I write this I'm listening to That Petrol Emotion who I think played...cant be sure. Curse those cheap flagons of cider from the early nineties

Eoingull
10/04/2007, 11:01 PM
Okay, here goes...this is the line-up for Feile 92 as written in my rather bashed copy of the official programme!
Friday 31/07/92; 1.00-1.30, The Ambition; 1.40-2.15, Whipping Boy; 2.25-3.00, Toasted Heretic; 3.10-3.50, Pop Will Eat Itself; 4.00-4.40, PJ Harvey; 4.50-5.35, Sultans of Ping FC; 5.50-6.50, Carter USM; 7.05-8.05, Beautiful South; 8.25-9.25, James; 9.55-11.10, The Wonder Stuff; 11.30-12.30, Primal Scream.
Saturday 01/08/92; 12.00-12.30, Forget-Me-Nots; 12.35-1.05, Black 47; 1.10-1.45, The Pale; 1.55-2.35, Therapy?; 2.45-3.25, A House; 3.40-4.20, Inspiral Carpets; 4.35-5.25, Neds Atomic Dustbin; 5.40-6.30, EMF; 6.45-7.20, Luka Bloom; 7.30-8.30, The Saw Doctors; 8.45-9.45, David Byrne; 10.00-11.00, Shakespear's Sister; 11.15-12.30, Simply Red.
Sunday 02/08/92; 12.30-1.00, Precious Stones; 1.10-1.45, Les Negresses Vertes; 1.50-2.20, The Big Geraniums; 2.30-3.10, Kirsty McColl; 3.15-3.50, Sharon Shannon; 4.05-4.50, Del Amitri; 5.00-5.50, Buddy Guy; 6.00-7.00, The 4 of Us; 7.15-8.15, Christy Moore; 8.30-9.30, Extreme; 9.45-11.15, Bryan Adams; 11.30-12.30, The Stunning.
Right so, that's it! If memory serves, I think James pulled out at the last minute...can't remember who the replacement was though. I couldn't track down the 1991 programme, but it's there, and I'll have another look the next time I'm back in the Auld Sod.

Countyman
13/04/2007, 12:58 PM
That is excellent. Cheers for that.

CraftyToePoke
13/04/2007, 2:37 PM
What year did Ride play? any of you see them? any good?

gustavo
13/04/2007, 8:13 PM
Seems like the entire "grebo" scene were there!

Lionel Ritchie
14/04/2007, 9:11 AM
What year did Ride play? any of you see them? any good?

91 ...yeah they were pretty good but got little enough reaction. On very early as were too many good bands to make room for Nanci f[/U]cking Griffith and the like.

endabob1
17/04/2007, 9:05 AM
Right so, that's it! If memory serves, I think James pulled out at the last minute...can't remember who the replacement was though. .

I think it was Mark Cohn of walking in Memphis fame, the entire crowd sat down except the front row. David Byrne was fantastic all the coke cartons in the air and his troup of Brazilian drummers, top stuff.

BohsPartisan
17/04/2007, 9:08 AM
If memory serves, I think James pulled out at the last minute...

Very unreliable method though, If you're heading to a music festival its always a good idea to bring condoms along.

Jerry The Saint
17/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Saturday 01/08/92;

6.45-7.20, Luka Bloom; 7.30-8.30, The Saw Doctors; 8.45-9.45, David Byrne; 10.00-11.00, Shakespear's Sister; 11.15-12.30, Simply Red.

HARDCORE

endabob1
17/04/2007, 11:32 AM
I recall a mass exit during Shakespeare's sister on that night and a similar one before Bryan Adams played on the sunday night, I lost my cherry to the sounds of "everything I do" wafting accross Thurles race course :eek:

GuisaSaigon
20/04/2007, 9:41 AM
Best bit of the night was the Hari Krishna tent collapsing at the camps site because there were people on top of it plus the rave at the racecourse grandstand
I remember that, it was hillarious watching the hari's tent coming down with a load of moshers jumpin around on top of it, the racecourse was better craic than most of the crap at the stadium, The Prodigy were good though and even though I wasn't into them until I saw them at FĂ©ile, I thought The Stunning were excellent. Cranberries and Crash Test Dummies were torture!