PDA

View Full Version : mannering eyeing galway move

jbrazil
16/07/2001, 11:01 PM
Former Shamrock Rovers player Anton Mannering is hoping to return to football in the National League by joining Galway United.

The Donegal native joined the Hoops in 1998 after a two-year spell out of football. The 24-year-old had enjoyed spells with Tottenham and Fulham in London.

Starting in the reserves, Mannering eventually broke into the Rovers first team.

However, during the closed season he was whisked away by English outfit Luton Town as he was not under contract at Rovers. When Luton then went into administrative receivership, he moved to Oxford.

The problems continued for Mannering there, as he suffered a severe groin injury. He lost fitness and this - coupled with the birth of his son - prompted his move home to Ireland.

He is said to be in negotiations with several Premier Division clubs already. It is thought that because he trained with them towards the end of last season, the Tribesmen would be his first preference.

The Ennis-based midfielder said that it was former player and fellow Donegal man Gareth Gorman who suggested that he join United. "Gareth recommended the club to me while I was still in England and only considering coming home."

"I had been looking forward to the possibility of working with Don O'Riordan and the team after the training I had done with the lads last year and I came to watch a couple of matches because he asked me. I was impressed - but that's football for you. Now I don't know where I'll be next season."

Meanwhile, former Athlone Town player Gordon Brett is training with Galway, as is former United goalkeeper Mark Cobey and defender Fran Carter. But winger Bobby Ryan has not returned to training and he could be set to leave the club

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/12-7-5.htm