PDA

View Full Version : Poor start to the season

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 10:22 AM
Every game I've seen us play this season we have been woeful. The defence has looked solid as usual, apart from a few lapses of concentration, notably for the goals against Cork and Sligo. A problem that I have noticed is that the back four is not getting a lot of protection from midfield. McFaul is supposed to be playing in the holding role presumably but I have hardly ever seen him break up any opposition attacks. Positively Gallagher looks like a good player, but I can't understand why he was dropped in favour of McMillan, especially when he would have accomodated Kenna to play centre back.

Our midfield has been lacking any real shape or structure. We badly need Tony Mc or Gary Dicker (if he comes back) in there. Finn has been woeful when played there, as I unfortunately predicted. McFaul has looked comfortable for the most part, but doesn't seem to be doing the job he should be. Also he has shown a couple of lapses in concentration. King has done a decent job when he has come in. Can't really complain about the wingers all that much. Conan is terribly slow and Bogdan really should be playing ahead of him. Doyle has looked good this season, but still room for improvement.

Upfront we just don't look like scoring. Sammo has not produced the form he did last season, Paul Byrne has continued last season's brutal form. Finn hasn't done much when played behind Sammo. Major problem is that long balls keep going up to Sammom when he can't head the ball.

Last season we had similar problems with results at the start of the season, but Pete Mahon turned it around and I'm confident he can do the same again. We have a nice run of fixtures now and anything less that 9 points out of the next 12 should be considered unacceptable, even more so considering the position we find ourselves in.

Angus
02/04/2007, 11:05 AM
Good post - not sure I would go as far as woeful - we were unlucky against Cork, conceded soft goals against Drogs.

We have been poor upfront, undoubtedly but there have been positive signs - the MAJOR concern is results - results have not matched performances and while I was not in Sligo, we "could" or even "should" of gotten a better result in each of the 4 games - giving rise to a concern over execution.

Schumi
02/04/2007, 11:42 AM
the MAJOR concern is results - results have not matched performances and while I was not in Sligo, we "could" or even "should" of gotten a better result in each of the 4 games - giving rise to a concern over execution.Hard to say we should have got a draw in Drogheda really but apart from that, the other two defeats were unlucky in that there should have been a point there for us. The point about the midfield is the important one IMO. Finn and McFaul isn't a good partnership. I'd much prefer to see Crowley there if Tony is still injured.

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 11:55 AM
The point about the midfield is the important one IMO. Finn and McFaul isn't a good partnership. I'd much prefer to see Crowley there if Tony is still injured.
Finn and McFaul are both talented players so I would be dissapointed to see either of them dropped. In order to accomodate them I think we should try a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system looking like this:

-----------Mc Faul-----Tony Mc-----------

-------------------Finn-------------------

Bogdan------------------------------Doyle

------------------Sammo------------------

Above for games against weaker opposition, with it becoming 4-5-1 against the top teams. I don't think Mahon will change his system however.

Schumi
02/04/2007, 12:20 PM
Is that not pretty much what we played yesterday with Tony Mac in for King and Bogdan in for Byrne?

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 12:29 PM
Paul Crowley played yesterday, according to the league website.

I don't think there's any need to be worrying as yet. We got handed a tough opening few games and, with the exception of the Sligo result, we haven't had a particularly bad result as yet. The next three games - home to Waterford and Bray and away to Kildare - will tell more as these are the teams we have to be looking to finish ahead of. A repeat of the pre-season game against Kildare could give us a boost and a bit of momentum, depending on what team we put out.

Don't think criticism of McMillan or the Byrnes is warranted to be honest. McMillan's hardly put a foot wrong, although I do agree that we're more attacking with Gallagher in the team. Paul Byrne is a poacher and hasn't been given anything to poach really. That's the midfield's fault more so than his. Conan's been causing trouble on the wing despite his pace and has been getting space and some good crosses, such as the one we scored from in Drogheda.

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 12:31 PM
Is that not pretty much what we played yesterday with Tony Mac in for King and Bogdan in for Byrne?
No, what we were playing 4-4-1-1:

C. Byrne----McFaul-----Crowley-----Doyle

-------------------Finn-------------------

-------------------Sammo-------------------

Difference in mine is that Tony Mc and McFaul sit the whole time allowing the other players who are more attacking minded freedom to attack. The problem with the system above is that McFaul and Crowley are too similar which creates a lack of balance in midfield. If Finn plays a bit deeper it would provide some sort of attacking threat through the middle.

Poor Student
03/04/2007, 12:38 PM
We haven't lost any game by more than a single goal margin so I won't fret too much. That did include tough opening fixtures against Drogheda and Cork. Sligs and Rovers have also been going well this season so failure to defeat either isn't anything too bad in itself. I think over the couse of the season things will even themselves out and we won't be down at the very bottom. The next 4 games or so will be very telling.

I'm pleased with McMillan. Like Shorthall he seems an able deputy to McNally and Kenna. My preferred back four would see the McNally/Kenna partnership in the centre and Gallagher at left back. I think it makes a better unit overall.

I've warmed to Conan at right wing. Wily tricky pacey runs aren't all that helpful if you can't get the cross in. He reminds me a little of Steve Guppy in that without having to beat his man well he can whip in a very threatning cross anyway.

I'd love to see Tony back in the middle to get his experience and influence into the heart of the team and stiffen up the midfield.

The strikeforce sadly remains our eternal problem. I can't really think of any solutions.

pineapple stu
03/04/2007, 12:40 PM
An Ireland U-19 international strike force up front, maybe?

Or at least a debut for one!

Won't be happening this week, of course.

Poor Student
03/04/2007, 12:44 PM
An Ireland U-19 international strike force up front, maybe?

Or at least a debut for one!

Won't be happening this week, of course.

Ideally you can always hope but many promising sounding up and coming youngsters rarely make the impact you might think. Conan's U-21 league record made him sound like the next Pele! Is Bolger a striker then?

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Is Bolger a striker then?
No, midfielder.

John83
03/04/2007, 4:37 PM
Ideally you can always hope but many promising sounding up and coming youngsters rarely make the impact you might think. Conan's U-21 league record made him sound like the next Pele! Is Bolger a striker then?
And Paul Byrne's made him sound better.

roversmad
04/04/2007, 9:58 AM
though a rovers fan I go to most UCD games as my mate plays for them, what i have seen is that you play the most predictable football, you have good players no doubt about it but ucd always play to a similar pattern, my mate tells me there no coaching going on in training and its the same way they set out to play for all games. the continued use of paul byrne up front is a waste of time I am told he was a great prospect at U21 football a few years ago but I saw him play last year and he was taken off at halftime and he was terrible and from what i see again this year nothing has changed. For the group of players you have you should be doing better.

John83
04/04/2007, 5:28 PM
Byrne's had more than his share of injuries. He may never come good, but he's clearly rated - Mahon's been selecting him, which suggests he's looking good in training. Maybe he just doesn't get enough ball. What we really lack is what Kavanagh gave us (and Gannon before that) - real pace and the ability to beat a player.

CollegeTillIDie
05/04/2007, 9:46 AM
Lads

Someone mentioned that we are poor up front, we have rarely been anything else. Last time I recall us being ''good '' up front was during Doyler's(i.e Willie) purple patch in 2004 and that was the first time in yonks. As for the coaching or lack of same, I was given to understand that our current assistant manager is primarily responsible for that aspect of things.

Schumi
05/04/2007, 12:47 PM
Last time I recall us being ''good '' up front was during Doyler's(i.e Willie) purple patch in 2004 and that was the first time in yonks.Indeed, and that was in the first division!