PDA

View Full Version : Shams Or Rovers?

Da Real Rover
01/04/2007, 11:54 AM
Im curious as to which, if any, fans of separate clubs refer to shamrock rovers as shams?? Up here we always call them shams, just wondering if fans do the same any where else??

1 9 2 8
01/04/2007, 12:14 PM
I think it's just us and Athlone that call them Shams

Red&White Rover
01/04/2007, 12:34 PM
I'm fairly certain it's just us...

Dodge
01/04/2007, 12:50 PM
Shamrock

Thank you Tony Bird :)

hoopy
01/04/2007, 7:43 PM
I think it's just us and Athlone that call them Shams

Everyone else knows who Rovers are;)

khoop
01/04/2007, 9:11 PM
So who started this thread - a Rovers fan or a pathetic, obsessed Sligo fan???

Call us what you feckin' want.

Whatever makes you feel better.....

dfx-
01/04/2007, 9:19 PM
Call us what you feckin' want.

Dunno who Shams are though

Fivesilver
01/04/2007, 9:28 PM
In Sligo, it's always Shams, for pretty obvious reasons. Around the country, I've heard plenty of people use both, although in Dublin it tends to be Rovers. Ah . . . this thread's a bit silly, no . . . ?

Peadar
01/04/2007, 9:42 PM
I call them Shamrock.
I call your lot the sligs.

Jerry The Saint
01/04/2007, 10:06 PM
In Sligo, it's always Shams, for pretty obvious reasons. Around the country, I've heard plenty of people use both, although in Dublin it tends to be Rovers. Ah . . . this thread's a bit silly, no . . . ?

Whatever names you use, the important thing to remember is that supporters of Shamrock Rovers Football Club are ashamed of their own team's name for some bizarre reason:confused:

dcfcsteve
02/04/2007, 12:08 AM
'Shams' is a rubbish name in all fairness.

Gayer than a pair of leather chaps signed by The Village People...

gufcfan
02/04/2007, 7:13 AM
Our lot call them Rovers as they are the only team by that name of any significance:) dont really hear any1 calling them shams. i would say the whole thing out rather than say shams...

EddieAnnand
02/04/2007, 8:44 AM
Galway united:

FAI Cup Winners 1991 & never won the league.

Sligo Rovers:

League of Ireland Champions: 1937 & 1977

FAI Cup winners: 1983 & 1994

If we are an insignificant club - what are Galway United?

BohsPartisan
02/04/2007, 8:53 AM
If I'm being generous I call them Rovers. If not I've got a whole vocabulary to describe them. :D

dcfcsteve
02/04/2007, 9:51 AM
one question,how? cough 6th:D

The fact you even need to ask says it all. How's the Sligo Rovers YMCA Supporter's Club getting on these days, sister....? :D

cough 2:0 small club...... :p

gufcfan
02/04/2007, 10:05 AM
I forgot about Sligo there... people tend to do that

If we are an insignificant club - what are Galway United?

Midgit
02/04/2007, 10:29 AM
The fact you even need to ask says it all. How's the Sligo Rovers YMCA Supporter's Club getting on these days, sister....?

cough 2:0 small club...... :p

Cough.......take a look at the League table!!!!:p

BohsPartisan
02/04/2007, 10:43 AM

Cough...Very early days.
This thread needs some Benelyn

dcfcsteve
02/04/2007, 11:40 AM

Cough... speak to me at the end of the season. And how is that trophy cabinet of yours these days anyway, cough...

:D :p

NY Hoop
02/04/2007, 1:32 PM
Whatever names you use, the important thing to remember is that supporters of Shamrock Rovers Football Club are ashamed of their own team's name for some bizarre reason:confused:

Dont know how you came to that conclusion.

Sligo got their name off us so dont know how they can claim to be the real Rovers. Stupid question really. Everyone knows who Rovers are.

KOH

Dodge
02/04/2007, 2:08 PM
Dont know how you came to that conclusion.

Sligo got their name off us so dont know how they can claim to be the real Rovers. Stupid question really. Everyone knows who Rovers are.

It was the Shamrock he was referring to

pete
02/04/2007, 2:09 PM
Sligo are Sligo & Shamrock Rovers are Rovers.

NY Hoop
02/04/2007, 2:23 PM
It was the Shamrock he was referring to

Dont think anyone refers to Pats as "St." though.

What pete says is accurate.

KOH

gustavo
02/04/2007, 2:27 PM
Rover's will always be Sligo Rovers to me , but i can understand why Rovers usually means Shamrock Rovers given that Shamrock isnt a place name.

pete
02/04/2007, 2:29 PM
Dont think anyone refers to Pats as "St." though.

Not many Saints in Inchicore. :D

Its obvious Sligo Rovers fans will call their own team Rovers.

NY Hoop
02/04/2007, 2:31 PM
NY does not do obvious :D

Rogue trader doesnt do common sense.

KOH

Student Mullet
02/04/2007, 2:36 PM
Sligo have the name Rovers on seniority, being the longer standing premier team.

Jeebus
02/04/2007, 2:36 PM
Rover's will always be Sligo Rovers to me , but i can understand why Rovers usually means Shamrock Rovers given that Shamrock isnt a place name.

What about Rover's will??? when did he die?? what did he leave you in it??? :D

Sorry Gus, couldn't resist it! :p [see our forum for constant highlighting of spelling/punctuation mistakes by Mr Gustavo]

BohsPartisan
02/04/2007, 2:39 PM
No he's actually talking about a foot.ie user called Rovers Will

Jeebus
02/04/2007, 2:42 PM
No he's actually talking about a foot.ie user called Rovers Will

His use of gammar is still very poor though.

BohsPartisan
02/04/2007, 2:46 PM
His use of gammar is still very poor though.

Eh?

:D

Jeebus
02/04/2007, 2:48 PM
Eh?

:D

Ah i was only testing ya BP ;)

Fivesilver
02/04/2007, 3:35 PM
Our lot call them Rovers as they are the only team by that name of any significance

Seems it's going to take quite a while for that stuffing in Terryland to stop stinging. :rolleyes:

Jerry The Saint
02/04/2007, 3:54 PM
Sligo have the name Rovers on seniority, being the longer standing premier team.

Exactly what I've been saying all along.

Similarly, 'City' refers to Cork (unlucky Derry), 'Town' is Longford (not Athlone), 'Athletic' - St. Patrick's etc. The team known as 'United' has changed many times since promotion/relegation came in.

Schumi
02/04/2007, 4:02 PM
Exactly what I've been saying all along.

Similarly, 'City' refers to Cork (unlucky Derry), 'Town' is Longford (not Athlone), 'Athletic' - St. Patrick's etc. The team known as 'United' has changed many times since promotion/relegation came in.'Dublin' has been fairly constant though.

dcfcsteve
02/04/2007, 5:06 PM
'City' most certainly does not refer to Cork..... :rolleyes:

Firstly - the revolving door of Cork franchises will probably see them change name to Lee Hibernian Shamrocks or something before the decade is out....

Secondly - Cork were watched by a man and 2 dogs until relatively recent years, at a time when the real City were packing grounds up and down the land.

And Finally - this is effectively a Cork forum, run by a Cork person and with a disproportionate number of Cork users. Their preferences have just blinded you to the truth that exists outside of Langerland.

sniffa
02/04/2007, 7:38 PM
But there's only one County.
I wonder do Limerick fans call their club "37"?
Anyway Rovers are Rovers and Sligo are Sligo, simple as!

superfrank
04/04/2007, 12:14 PM
Shamrock Rovers are Rovers to me and most other people I know. Sligo Rovers are Sligo.

I'm sure it could be just down to locality (unfortunately I live in the greater Dublin area) as many people here call our team Wanderers but out of town they'll be called Bray.

Paraic
04/04/2007, 12:32 PM
Being from Dundalk (The Town - not the Duns) Shams were always Rovers, City were always Cork (well from the early 90s when they became decent again - granted it may have something to do with having alot of Cork friends - I still have my 'All kinds of everything' tee-shirt from Sir Henry's), Derry was always Derry and Sligo was always Sligo and a guaranteed two / three points (sorry Rovers fans - this is the late 70's early 80's).

Now my loyalties have been compromised somewhat, Dundalk are still the Town, Sligo are now Rovers (when speaking to people from the North West) and a decent cup draw until next season when we're (The Lilywhites) are back in the Premier, Rovers are now Shams, City are probably Cork and Derry are still Derry.

Confused yet? Me too.

Bray has always been Bray and Drogheda always Drawhheada.

God I hate threads like this.:ball:

hoops1
04/04/2007, 12:37 PM
Thats the exact same thing that went through maxi's mind before he went nuts

Block G Raptor
04/04/2007, 1:30 PM
Don't care what you call yourselves yer both getting beat at dalymount this week