PDA

View Full Version : Ciaran Martyn

Pages : [1] 2

Aaron
31/03/2007, 7:17 PM
You can add him to the contingent of EL players to depart the country, has gone to Norway on loan for 3 months:(

Dazzy
31/03/2007, 7:19 PM
Fredrikstad.:(

http://www.fredrikstadfk.no/default.asp?ArtID=813

Dodge
31/03/2007, 7:21 PM
Jesus, thats a shocker

They're in europe too and could draw Pats or Drogheda

Dazzy
31/03/2007, 7:22 PM
Jesus, thats a shocker

They're in europe too and could draw Pats or Drogheda

Loans only till 15th July but can be made permanent.

micls
31/03/2007, 7:23 PM
Whats the reasoning behind getting rid of ye're second top scorer last season??

Crazy

Sheridan
31/03/2007, 7:28 PM
Don't get that. On top form he's the best attacking midfielder in the league. Fredrikstad are hardly going to pay top dollar for him, so one can only surmise that he doesn't fit into Fenlon's plans. Incredibly short-sighted if so.

Aaron
31/03/2007, 7:29 PM
Whats the reasoning behind getting rid of ye're second top scorer last season??

Crazy

No-one knows, i'm wondering has it anything to do with him rejecting Shels and Fenlon a few years back after signing a pre-contract. He'll be a big loss:(

DmanDmythDledge
31/03/2007, 7:31 PM
Major dent in Derry's title hopes. Very little attacking threat in their team now (McCourt can blow hot/cold).

micls
31/03/2007, 7:33 PM
Someone on the Derry forum is saying its a prank and the website is fake.....strange alright that theres been no statement from Derry

pineapple stu
31/03/2007, 7:35 PM
It's the official website anyway - links in from UEFA.com - http://www.fredrikstadfk.no/default.asp?fid=1002

Dodge
31/03/2007, 7:38 PM
He's been starting for Derry hasn't he?

As a Pats fan I'm happy. He's scored far too many goals against us

pineapple stu
31/03/2007, 7:39 PM
He's been starting for Derry hasn't he?
Think he's been dropped under Fenlon.

As a Pats fan I'm happy. He's scored far too many goals against us
As a UCD fan I'm happy. He's scored far too many goals against us.

Also, we get 50% of any sell-on. I think?

Dodge
31/03/2007, 7:40 PM
He definitely started v pats last week

Dazzy
31/03/2007, 7:41 PM
Also, we get 50% of any sell-on. I think?

Was it not a free transfer?

pineapple stu
31/03/2007, 7:43 PM
Started two of Derry's four league games to date, and three of their four Setanta games. Think he was out for the first game, so he appears to be mroe or less a regular since then.

Was it not a free transfer?
Dunno. I think I remember hearing the club officials saying one time (when he was going to Shels) that we had a 50% cut. Not going on anything more substantial than that. We didn't get any money at the time though, as far as I know.

lofty9
31/03/2007, 7:55 PM
I can now break my silence, (that is if he is away) IMO the most overrated player in this country. Substandard performances in 95% of his games. His goalscoring papered over his extremely limited abilities as a central midfielder. My mate reckons he had the best strike rate in the country - 17 touches of the ball last season - 17 goals! That's what he is good at but he only wants the ball in the opponents 18 yard box, leaving Molloy to carry the can. Cue the slaughter from fellow City fans!!!!

Aaron
31/03/2007, 8:01 PM
I can now break my silence, (that is if he is away) IMO the most overrated player in this country. Substandard performances in 95% of his games. His goalscoring papered over his extremely limited abilities as a central midfielder. My mate reckons he had the best strike rate in the country - 17 touches of the ball last season - 17 goals! That's what he is good at but he only wants the ball in the opponents 18 yard box, leaving Molloy to carry the can. Cue the slaughter from fellow City fans!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to slaughter you. Just respond to it with what it deserves

Raheny Red
31/03/2007, 8:05 PM
Why is this in the eL section :rolleyes: :confused:

Aaron
31/03/2007, 8:08 PM
Why's "Bohemian's "fans"" in the EL section or "Mark Quigley scores hat-trick in 9 minutes" in EL section? :rolleyes:

lofty9
31/03/2007, 8:11 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to slaughter you. Just respond to it with what it deserves

Too diplomatic of you... just my opinion though. His goalscoring was phenomenal and I'm not taking that away from him, but every other aspect of his game as a midfielder was lacking.

pineapple stu
31/03/2007, 8:12 PM
Cue slaughter from UCD fans too, who can deride that as nonsense, having had him for five years. One of the best players we've gotten hold of.

Hibs4Ever
31/03/2007, 8:37 PM
Why's "Bohemian's "fans"" in the EL section or "Mark Quigley scores hat-trick in 9 minutes" in EL section? :rolleyes:

Because those threads involve more than one EL club. This doesn't :rolleyes:

finnpark
31/03/2007, 9:00 PM
Sit back and watch your team been torn apart. I bet it wont be long b4 more will follow. Shocking decision but Fenlon has an attitude so it does not surprise me. Its a bit of a step down for him though. No hope of him ever making a big move now.

SwanVsDalton
01/04/2007, 2:49 AM
The way people are reacting it's like we sold George Best for magic beans. I'd rather have him with the City because he's a good player who offered an attacking threat but when Martyn wasn't scoring goals, he was AWOL especially away from home. Like Lofty pointed out he rarely showed himself for the ball outside the box and many's a game his presence has been negligible.

Don't want to give the impression that I don't rate/like him, I think his goal-scoring record is superb and he was always a comitted Candystripe but i'm more worried about our squad looking a little thin than the loss of a gifted individual TBH.

But Ciaran's making money from it, Derry are making money from it and they'll both make more if it's permanent. If not he'll come back with open arms.

Dodge
01/04/2007, 9:56 AM
Don't want to give the impression that I don't rate/like him, I think his goal-scoring record is superb and he was always a comitted Candystripe but i'm more worried about our squad looking a little thin than the loss of a gifted individual TBH.

I think thats the point tbh. Given Derry's indifferent start to the season, and with the new manager signing journeymen type players like Peter Hynes, its very strange to let one of you better players go, without an obvious replacement.

dcfc_dee
01/04/2007, 9:56 PM
i think most people will be annoyed that ciaran martyn has gone but we have another quality midfielder in neil mc cafferty. the lad mite get a chance now.

Dyl10
02/04/2007, 12:00 AM
Why is this in the eL section :rolleyes: :confused:

Probably because its one of the leagues bigggest stories this week :rolleyes:

headtheball
02/04/2007, 8:00 AM
Just on radio foyle 140K now and a furthur 600K in July if he signs. Ciaran is a free agent in November so this is a deal our club could not turn down.

TonyD
02/04/2007, 12:26 PM
we have another quality midfielder in neil mc cafferty.

Nell is getting on a bit in years now though, isn't she?:eek: :p

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 12:31 PM
Just on radio foyle 140K now and a furthur 600K in July if he signs. Ciaran is a free agent in November so this is a deal our club could not turn down.
Sterling, I assume?

lofty9
02/04/2007, 12:38 PM
Sterling, I assume?

Euros. Great deal for Derry and Martyn. Lets hope he impresses in Norway.

Krstic
02/04/2007, 1:28 PM
Cue slaughter from UCD fans too, who can deride that as nonsense, having had him for five years. One of the best players we've gotten hold of.

Just like UCD Fans' claims that Patrick Jennings is a better Keeper than David Forde, absoulte nonsense, as anyone who has ever seen Jennings play for Derry can vouch for.

Just because a player has done well for UCD, doesn't make him Super for his entire career.

charliesboots
02/04/2007, 2:56 PM
Just like UCD Fans' claims that Patrick Jennings is a better Keeper than David Forde, absoulte nonsense, as anyone who has ever seen Jennings play for Derry can vouch for.

Just because a player has done well for UCD, doesn't make him Super for his entire career.

Except for Packie Lynch and Barry Ryan of course!

cestlavie
02/04/2007, 3:27 PM
Its huge money, Derry will be able to really sign top quality players in summer transfer window if needs be. No club would turn down the deal offered to Derry.:cool:

Only1Rovers
02/04/2007, 3:38 PM
Strange thought Ciaran was settled in Derry since he has a good job outside of football, suppose he can always go back to the insurance game.

CuanaD
02/04/2007, 4:05 PM
tbh i think its a great deal for derry, 140k for a loan thats a fantastic deal, you get money and the player back in july or if he decides to stay you get a whole lot more money

cant help but feel these scandinavian clubs have more money than sense though, i mean aaeslund (i think thats the name of the club) paid a similar amount for a 4 month loan deal for zayed and then didnt even play him

Personally, i feel its about the right value for him - our league players have been FAR undervalued, - especially by the GB clubs, where we are meant to be 'happy he'll get to play in a "better" league':mad:

Fair play to the scandinavians for paying realistic money IMHO:ball:

Student Mullet
02/04/2007, 4:08 PM
Does UCDD get half the loan money or is it only if a permanent deal is signed?

lofty9
02/04/2007, 5:02 PM
Does UCDD get half the loan money or is it only if a permanent deal is signed?

I doubt it, as we signed him on a disputed "Bosman" if I recall correctly.

finnpark
02/04/2007, 5:17 PM
Its huge money, Derry will be able to really sign top quality players in summer transfer window if needs be. No club would turn down the deal offered to Derry.:cool:

Who will they sign to replace him? E600000 doesnt get you much these days Im afraid. O'Donovan will probably make a move elsewhere for over E1M in the summer. I think they would be better with the player than the cash.

Risteard
02/04/2007, 6:05 PM
O'Donovan will probably make a move elsewhere for over E1M in the summer.
I seriously doubt it.
Probably well over half a mill but not near a 7 figure sum.
Derry definitely right to bite their hands off at this offer.

finnpark
02/04/2007, 6:44 PM
I seriously doubt it.
Probably well over half a mill but not near a 7 figure sum.
Derry definitely right to bite their hands off at this offer.

Cork rejected a E750000 bid from Hull? :confused:

finnpark
02/04/2007, 7:06 PM
Apparently Mick McCarthy is watching him in action tonight.:ball:

dcfc_dee
02/04/2007, 10:08 PM
Nell is getting on a bit in years now though, isn't she?:eek: :p

Who NELL :D

OneRedArmy
02/04/2007, 11:09 PM
Who will they sign to replace him? E600000 doesnt get you much these days Im afraid. O'Donovan will probably make a move elsewhere for over E1M in the summer. I think they would be better with the player than the cash.What planet are you on? Or can you just not see past your bitterness?

We got McHugh for approximately 5% of that and we're very happy with him.

Lets have a dose of reality, its the Eircom League and that sum of money pays the wages for a large portion of the year. No EL club is in a position to turn that kind of money down (as history has shown).

Risteard
03/04/2007, 12:40 AM
Cork rejected a E750000 bid from Hull? :confused:
No.
A good bit less than that I believe.

Mad Moose
03/04/2007, 2:14 PM

I heard the loan deal until July was worth 40k but it could well have been 140k given the potential transfer fee. (600k).Some amount of money that even for the loan period. If Derry City sell him for 600k surely thats two years running the club finances sorted out. Budgets etc.

He's a decent player. I just wouldn't have put that value on him. Apparently the Norwegian's looked at him in Gothenburg last year and his goals and performances against Gretna might have further made up their minds to go for him.

pete
03/04/2007, 3:18 PM
Did Zayed go on loan to the same club? Was Stephen Ward also linked with them? Who is advising these Norwegians or do they have an irish scout?

:confused:

lofty9
03/04/2007, 3:41 PM
I heard the loan deal until July was worth 40k but it could well have been 140k given the potential transfer fee. .

Apparently the Norwegian's looked at him in Gothenburg last year and his goals and performances against Gretna might have further made up their minds to go for him.

Its 140k upfront. The club are funded by a bit of a sugardaddy and can well afford more than that. They are moving to a new stadium this week also.

I don't think Martyn played against Gothenburg.

Raheny Red
03/04/2007, 5:21 PM
Did Zayed go on loan to the same club? Was Stephen Ward also linked with them? Who is advising these Norwegians or do they have an irish scout?

:confused:

Didn't some ex Rover's coach move over a few years back :confused: - could be him?

pineapple stu
03/04/2007, 5:49 PM
Did Zayed go on loan to the same club?
Was that no Aalesund? I think they got relegated anyway, in which case it wouldn't be the same club.