PDA

View Full Version : Fair play tables

sadloserkid
16/01/2003, 10:26 AM
"Its not winning but how you win," so they say. In the latest Fair Play tables compiled after 2 complete rounds of the eircom League, just as in the real league tables, Bohemians head the way. It is a fantastic achievement by Stephen Kenny's men not only winning the eircom League title but doing it in such style.

The Fair Play League, which is based on the sportsman ship and number of bookings and sendings off each team accrues, is potentially lucrative for the winners with a handsome cheque headed their way. However, Bohemians must not rest on their laurels as with only 25 points between themselves and second placed Derry City, a booking or sending off may be the difference between several thousand euro.

The Division One Fair Play race is even closer. Just 7 points split leaders Dundalk and second placed Limerick. There is also a cash prize for the Division One winners. This cash is sure to be highly sought after by all the cash strapped clubs in this League.

One thing's for sure it pays to play fair!

Premier Division - After 18 Games
Bohemians 623
Derry City 598
Cork City 592
St. Patrick's Athletic 588
UCD 588
Shamrock Rovers 583
Shelbourne 583
Drogheda United 581
Bray Wanderers 563
Longford Town 561

Division One - After 13 Games
Dundalk 448
Limerick 441
Athlone Town 428
Kilkenny City 420
Sligo Rovers 415
Waterford United 415
Galway United 409
Kildare County 408
Finn Harps 407
Monaghan United 400
Cobh Ramblers 393
Dublin City 391

Dunno how we're fixed now but it'd be a handy few bob for us if were to win it again! I suggest resting the two Whytes and Oran Welderick for the rest of the season to curb the chances of unwanted cards. ;) And is anybody surprised that Queenstown Ramblers are so far down the list??

Fr. Joe
16/01/2003, 1:09 PM
Since that night down in St. Colmans with all the sendings off Lims haven't been the same since. Them Cobh crowd are a dirty shower alright.

sadloserkid
16/01/2003, 1:13 PM
Limerick Vs Queenstown this year saw three games, fifteen goals and eight red cards. That's a rivalry. ;)

LFC in Exile
16/01/2003, 4:09 PM
Maybe its the economist in me but there seems to be a strong negative correlation between league position and fairplay position i.e. the better you do in the league the worse you do in fairplay. The opposite seems to be the case in the premier. I think this says a lot about the standard and approach to football in the lower division.

sadloserkid
30/01/2003, 12:57 PM
I'm guessing that John Whyte has ended any interest we may have had in that particular competition...

deise deserter
01/02/2003, 8:26 PM
Any final result on this?