PDA

View Full Version : Judicial Review - Tallaght Municipal Stadium

DvB
30/03/2007, 10:32 AM
Judge has decided there is a case to answer so has granted a Judicial Review, due to commence on April 20th! :mad:

Koh

Dodge
30/03/2007, 10:42 AM
Mightn't be too bad for Rovers. Just means the judge felt the SDCC had a case to answer. If they can answer it, they'll be OK.

Of course its all a stalling tactic by the gaa so they got what they wanted. Spiteful pigs

swano
30/03/2007, 10:48 AM
The problem the gaa have now is that when they originally requested the JR we were on the verge of folding and they thought it might be the final nail in our coffin. Unluckily for them we're now on very stable ground again and we're not going away. We'll see this through eventually.

Fester
30/03/2007, 10:54 AM
The problem the gaa have now is that when they originally requested the JR we were on the verge of folding and they thought it might be the final nail in our coffin. Unluckily for them we're now on very stable ground again and we're not going away. We'll see this through eventually.

Best of luck with it.....

Erstwhile Bóz
30/03/2007, 11:04 AM
Just means the judge felt the SDCC had a case to answer. If they can answer it, they'll be OK.
True; would have been nice if he just threw it out, though.

passerrby
30/03/2007, 11:20 AM
fight the good fight carry on rovers

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 11:25 AM
has 20th April been set as a date for hearing, mention or is it the list to fix dates?

Mr A
30/03/2007, 11:31 AM
This is obviously bad news. But given that the judge took so long to decide there was a case to be heard it must have been a close run thing. If it was that hard to decide the need for a review then surely the odds look in Rovers favour for the review itself. Hopefully anyway.

carrickharp
30/03/2007, 11:35 AM
Best of luck lads on this!

WeAreRovers
30/03/2007, 11:43 AM
Mightn't be too bad for Rovers. Just means the judge felt the SDCC had a case to answer. If they can answer it, they'll be OK.

Of course its all a stalling tactic by the gaa so they got what they wanted. Spiteful pigs

In a nutshell Dodge, in a nutshell.

The JR will go down to 2 highly technical questions re. SDCC procedures. It will have nothing to do 'hearts and minds' and all the rest of the GAA guff.

KOH

shelbourne1904
30/03/2007, 11:49 AM
Spiteful pigs

What can you expect from a pig only a grunt.Come on Rovers the biggots "cant stop you on the road to freedom.They cant stop you cause your eyes can see".To paraphrase Van the Man.
Go for it and best of luck cause you are in the right you will win.

dfx-
30/03/2007, 11:54 AM
The JR will go down to 2 highly technical questions re. SDCC procedures. It will have nothing to do 'hearts and minds' and all the rest of the GAA guff.

That's what bothers me after today.

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 11:57 AM
If 20th April is only a mention date then there's a good chance that this won't be heard for 18 months unless it's given priority in the list.

The JR list is seriously clogged at the moment, there even sending some non-jury stuff down to Cork.

Boh_So_Good
30/03/2007, 12:00 PM
Humphries 12th hour GA-nade in the Times paid off so. Isn't objective journalism a thing to behold...:rolleyes:

TonyD
30/03/2007, 12:05 PM
If 20th April is only a mention date then there's a good chance that this won't be heard for 18 months unless it's given priority in the list.

The JR list is seriously clogged at the moment, there even sending some non-jury stuff down to Cork.

Mission accomplished by the GAA so.:mad:

bigmac
30/03/2007, 12:07 PM
Just wondering - let's say for arguments sake that the Judicial review came down and said that the SDCC procedures were wrong - what would then happen - would it not be the case that SDCC could follow procedures entirely by the book and change their minds again?

What will the remit of the JR be precisely? what powers will it have to sanction either party involved?

harry crumb
30/03/2007, 12:09 PM
Another bad day for the Rovers faithful.

blackholesun
30/03/2007, 12:09 PM
A pity, but maybe not that bad. If they were refused with given leave to appeal they coulda went to a higher and dragged it out for even longer and longer.

The GAAs greed and bigotry wont kill Shamrock Rovers or stop us gettting to Tallaght.

bhs

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 12:11 PM
Just wondering - let's say for arguments sake that the Judicial review came down and said that the SDCC procedures were wrong - what would then happen - would it not be the case that SDCC could follow procedures entirely by the book and change their minds again?

What will the remit of the JR be precisely? what powers will it have to sanction either party involved?

There would have to be an illegal act in the process. The remedy will depend on what remedies have been sought by the Applicants (Thomas Davis)

OneRedArmy
30/03/2007, 12:12 PM
Its a shame this decision wasn't made before the recent Croke Park matches, which would have been a wonderful opportunity to show the bigots exactly what people think of their shameful tactics in Tallaght in their own home.

Its now time for O'Donoghue to show his convictions and play hardball with the GAA. He clearly stated this facility is for football and he's now got to stick to this.

All public funding for the GAA in Dublin should be frozen pending the JR.

WeAreRovers
30/03/2007, 12:18 PM
That's what bothers me after today.

The exact opposite actually. If SDCC can prove that the 2 votes (Dec 2005 & Feb 2006) followed procedure then it's game over. As most of us are aware, this has been a pure delaying tactic by TD. They don't want the stadium for themselves, they just want to keep Rovers out of Tallaght.

ORA - All capital funding in South Dublin has been stopped since TD started this farce. The big losers, aside from Rovers, are Lucan Sarsfields whose new development is stuffed - thanks to their buddies in Thomas Davis.

KOH

Boh_So_Good
30/03/2007, 12:31 PM
As a Bohs supporter I am gutted for Rovers and their fans. You have to respect how long and hard they have fought for this. The sacrifices individuals have made for their team, the setting up of major underage soccer in Tallaght only to have a shower of biggoted blow-ins who hate the people of Tallaght and their apologists in the media break their heats for no other reason than jealousy and bigotry

I have to stand up and give credit. A lot of us would have given up a long time ago. What makes this especially sickening is that Rovers and their fans are the only ones who have behaved with any ethical and moral decency in all this.

But I feel that this is still a major problem with the Rovers faithful. Being nice is getting you nowhere.

What about a protest outside the GAA HQ by all the LOI clubs supporters? Then out to Tallaght? Stand along the by-pass beside the stadium and make a party of it - huge noise, flags banners the works? Get people to sign petitions. I would go.

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 12:45 PM
I'm from Tallaght and support Rovers in this matter but...

the setting up of major underage soccer in Tallaght

isn't true and neither is...

only to have a shower of biggoted blow-ins who hate the people of Tallaght

MyTown
30/03/2007, 12:55 PM
Some excellent stuff on this thread lads & also on the previous threads before todays decision.

One of the merists of Rovers case so far (e.g. in the response to the Irish Times propoganda) has been their determination to stick closely to the facts.

Thats why the Pats fan (Charlies Boots) is right on the money.

Posting abusive stuff about the rival party will only hinder Rovers case if anything. Best to show support for Rovers position in positive ways that stay with the facts and tell the truth

....still praying for a result in Tolka tonight 'though:)

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 1:04 PM
Posting abusive stuff about the rival party will only hinder Rovers case if anything.

No problem with people posting abusive stuff about TD to be honest just think, like you said, they should stick to the truth when doing so.

OneRedArmy
30/03/2007, 1:06 PM
Its all well and good trying to be reasonable and advising Rovers and football fans in general to remain calm, but at times like this its not hard to feel like there still remains an Archbishop McQuaid-type stranglehold by the GAA on the institutions and power-brokers in the state.

Paranoid maybe, but their ethos is very embedded in certain areas.

bigmac
30/03/2007, 1:38 PM
but at times like this its not hard to feel like there still remains an Archbishop McQuaid-type stranglehold by the GAA on the institutions and power-brokers in the state.

In fairness, when the Kerryman in charge point blank refuses to even negotiate with the GAA on the issue and comes down heavily on the side of Shamrock Rovers, it's hardly a stranglehold on the power-brokers.
It's a (successful so far) delaying tactic by TD but sooner or later the stadium will be the exclusive home of soccer and Tallaght will benefit hugely from that.

rebelarmyexile
30/03/2007, 9:45 PM
any1 got any idea when excalty and where the proceedings will be held?? Might get a bitta "No Surrender to the Biggotted GAA" protest goin!

srfc-1901
30/03/2007, 10:23 PM
In fairness, when the Kerryman in charge point blank refuses to even negotiate with the GAA on the issue and comes down heavily on the side of Shamrock Rovers, it's hardly a stranglehold on the power-brokers.
It's a (successful so far) delaying tactic by TD but sooner or later the stadium will be the exclusive home of soccer and Tallaght will benefit hugely from that.

well the big problem is that there is a general election coming up so Mr O Donoghue wont be Minister for Sport for very long

kdjaC
30/03/2007, 10:36 PM
well the big problem is that there is a general election coming up so Mr O Donoghue wont be Minister for Sport for very long

Which is what TD wanted.

If a PD comes in your ****ed if anyone other than FF comes in your ****ed. TD know how to delay ****.

kdjac

gspain
31/03/2007, 6:00 AM
Any ideas how long this will take.

That is the real agenda here. Delay Delay Delay. The bigots have no use for Tallaght even if they get in.

gspain
31/03/2007, 6:02 AM

Actually if SDCC and Rovers it will be available for all sports incl GAA except the pitch is too small for their big games. The bigots have no use for the stadium and would rather see a carpark there.

kdjaC
31/03/2007, 10:17 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/440159367_239bc469fa_b.jpg

I know i shouldnt laugh but i did .....nice one rovers :D

kdjac

Erstwhile Bóz
31/03/2007, 10:21 AM
:rolleyes: Classy. Is that not just another version of "we want to be the last man standing"? Bigots.

BohDiddley
31/03/2007, 10:55 AM
its not hard to feel like there still remains an Archbishop McQuaid-type stranglehold by the GAA on the institutions and power-brokers in the state.

Paranoid maybe, but their ethos is very embedded in certain areas.
Plus ca change. Nothing paranoid there at all.

Erstwhile Bóz
31/03/2007, 11:21 AM
Ahem.

dcfcsteve
02/04/2007, 1:04 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/440159367_239bc469fa_b.jpg

I know i shouldnt laugh but i did .....nice one rovers :D

kdjac

All the truthful, insightful, witty and cutting points Rovers fans could have made on a banner about this issue - and that's what they come up with ? Man - I'm embararssed for them :o That just makes them look like a bunch of teenagers without an issue.

TD are being well out of order here, and Rovers itself is to be commended for the approach they've taken on this all along.

But I'm disappointed that the efforts by the fans to make a banner didn't make more sensible use of a publicity opportunity.

Good will triumph over evil in the end though....

Mr A
02/04/2007, 1:08 PM
All the truthful, insightful, witty and cutting points Rovers fans could have made on a banner about this issue - and that's what they come up with ? Man - I'm embararssed for them :o That just makes them look like a bunch of teenagers without an issue.

TD are being well out of order here, and Rovers itself is to be commended for the approach they've taken on this all along.

But I'm disappointed that the efforts by the fans to make a banner didn't make more sensible use of a publicity opportunity.

Good will triumph over evil in the end though....

I'd agree with that. They could have done any number of clever or funny things with a banner but instead just decided to be offensive. While I understand their feelings they're probably just hurting Rovers cause with that sort of thing. Pure stupidity.

Jerry The Saint
02/04/2007, 1:47 PM
I'd agree with that. They could have done any number of clever or funny things with a banner but instead just decided to be offensive. While I understand their feelings they're probably just hurting Rovers cause with that sort of thing. Pure stupidity.

Childish and counter-productive.:rolleyes:

Even saying FCUK OFF, while not exactly a shining example of wit, would at least make sense in the context of the legal debate. This nonsense just feeds into the "us vs. them/fight to the death" bullcrap and will justify some of the Thomas Davis paranoia in a lot of people's eyes. No doubt this will be held up as an example in the media.

Also

THOMAS DAVIS GAC

Who is the GAC part aimed at - Games Administration Committee:confused:

Calcio Jack
02/04/2007, 4:04 PM
As a Rovers fan to the core I was disappointed to see content of the banner... will do no good except maybe to make those who held it up feel good about themselves.... and it will most certainely be used against us in some fashion and will play into the hands of the GAA and any politicians who are pro the GAA, although at least it won't have any bearing on the outcome of the JD.

gufct
02/04/2007, 4:21 PM
I was at the game and am very sympathetic to the Rovers Plight (I actually got a shock when the Programme mentioned the 20th Anniversary of the last game at Milltown as I was at it) but I felt the Banner was stupid and I think ye were lucky enough that non of the papers picked it up.

RonnieB
02/04/2007, 4:31 PM
Was thinking about it as well today, as much as I agree with the banner it is playing into their hands.