PDA

View Full Version : Why did we beat the Slovaks?

Pages : [1] 2

Scram
30/03/2007, 8:10 AM
Some are saying it was because Robbie was out and we play better without him. This is nonsense, put Robbie in where McGeady was and you have a better team, not a worse one.

The formation (and of course, selection) are what made the big difference. A much more flexible formation was played with generally, 5 around the middle. Kevin Doyle upfront from the start, which should have been the case v Wales, but hey, we won that one too. Good decision by Stan not to bring in Stokes as many were calling for.

All you experts who mocked anybody like myself who had Kilbane in the centre, you clowns should repent, repent, repent, sackcloth and ashes. You know who you are! Fair enough if you disagree, but you insulted people for suggesting that Kilbane should be in the center and you should now be ridiculed.

geysir
30/03/2007, 8:56 AM
Whatever the team selection, formation in midfield and upfront, we only scored one goal. Compared to the Czech game, we beat Slovakia due to the improved performance of the back line. To the end they dealt with everything comfortably.

greatbleddyman
30/03/2007, 9:52 AM
I wouldn't be Keane's biggest fan but to say we won because he wasn't there is not fair. He's no lone striker and asking him to do that job is crazy. Keane always plays best with a big man beside him like Quinn or Berbatov. Get Keane alongside Doyle and we might just see the best of Keane.

In my book you couldn't design a better player for the role that Ireland played on saturday than Keane.

Peadar
30/03/2007, 10:09 AM
The Slovaks were fairly poor and had no qaulity up front. Given had to make a few good saves but, for the most part, Dunne & McShane were in control. We, on the other hand, had Kevin Doyle up front, who was strong enough to get in front of the defender.

That's why we won!

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 10:33 AM
Jaysus I love all these 'I told you so' heads, we beat SLOVAKIA 1-0 at home, not Brazil/Argentina/Germany! Its the least we should be expecting

For a start Keane would have been lost in McGeadys role out wide as he was lost in Doyle's role on Saturday. While we may not be a better side without him it shows we can more than cope and that he'll need to adapt to fit into this side. It shouldn't really be a problem because the role he needs to fill is pretty much the same one he performs for Spurs and he does it very well. But Stephen Ireland showed real intelligence and awareness in that role and he's now an alternative to Keane.
And I wanted Kilbane in the side for Wednesday but only because the options were so few and for his physical precense. He's a great servant but a limited player and with the players we have coming back he should be relegated to the bench, whether Stan takes that decision or not will be a big indicator of how much he's learned in the past few months.

tin tin
30/03/2007, 10:35 AM
It was a change in attitude more than anything else that made the difference. also i think making given captain full time would take pressure off keane and let him play as we know he can

citizenerased
30/03/2007, 10:40 AM
Why would you be gloating about kilbanes performance, he was solid at best,,great worker, honest gives 100%(cliche at this stage), but has a woeful first touch, is clumsy, one trick pony( i.e knocking the ball ahead of the defender and bulling past him), atrocious distrubution also...how he has started 40 odd CONSECUTIVE GAMES FOR iRELAND...I will never know!!

tin tin
30/03/2007, 10:42 AM
The only word for Kilbane is frustrating. He works so hard and all that but in central midfield we need something else that he just cant give us.

Scram
30/03/2007, 10:48 AM
The only word for Kilbane is frustrating. He works so hard and all that but in central midfield we need something else that he just cant give us.

We are not Chelsea, what we need and what we have available to make the best of, are two different issues, we can't buy players. With a complete fit squad i.e. with 2 x Reids available, Kilbane shoudln't be in a starting 11.

tin tin
30/03/2007, 10:52 AM
What about Liam Miller, i know he isn't exactly the greatest but for me he is a better option than kilbane

Stuttgart88
30/03/2007, 11:28 AM
If only Steven Reid had stayed fit this season. I doubt we'll ever get to see what he's capable of. He's been "one to watch" for too long now. Andy Reid is fast becoming the same thing.

Re-Miller, as Owls Fan repeatedly says, we've so many midgets in the team Kilbane is needed just for his height alone. He and Doyle are the only players beyond the back 4 who can get a head to the ball. I lost count of the number of times he got a good head to the ball when failing to do so would have given Slovakia possession. Sure Kilbane is limited, especially in the centre (and I've been deeply critical of his deployment there) but until we can bring in a Garvan or whoever may step in to midfield he's the best of a bad lot. Tets was right this morning, at least when he has a natural midfielder like Carsley berside him he's not so out of his depth in that role.

Central midfield is the only area of the current team that I'm not happy with. Our defence is decent (but oh, for a quality left footed left back), our width is good, our forward options are decent and improving but central mid is well below modern international standards.

Anyone else think O'Shea was excellent on Wednesday? Credit where it's due. Unimaginative distribution is 100% down to nobody in midfield wanting the ball.

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 11:28 AM
What about Liam Miller, i know he isn't exactly the greatest but for me he is a better option than kilbane

No he's not and he'd have been the wrong option the other night for sure. With the way we set up ,McGeady-Ireland-Duff all pusing on the support Doyle, we needed strong players in midfield with energy, legs and enthusiam. Kilbane had all of these and a physical presence, Miller would've been overcome. Also Kilbane won a sh1teload of headers in midfield but this sort of basic work often gets overlooked and yet this is the platform that allows the other creative players to do their work. Kilbane was the right choice the other night but when we've a fully fit squad he should be relegated to the bench. His versatility means he still has a place in the squad though.

shakermaker1982
30/03/2007, 11:34 AM
Anyone else think O'Shea was excellent on Wednesday? Credit where it's due. Unimaginative distribution is 100% down to nobody in midfield wanting the ball.

He didn't put a foot wrong. I'd prefer him at LB because we can then make the most out of Finnan bombing forward on his natural side but I have to say the back 4 played well in both games. Thankfully the Cyprus fiasco has been put to bed.

paul_oshea
30/03/2007, 11:34 AM

im with ye on this one stutts thought he was great!

tin tin
30/03/2007, 11:35 AM
you may be right about kilbane's aerial ability. but we need a player who can play in midfield and can also give us kilbane's work rate. Any ideas?

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 11:44 AM
you may be right about kilbane's aerial ability. but we need a player who can play in midfield and can also give us kilbane's work rate. Any ideas?

Steven Reid. He's the answer long term for me, not Miller though, he's behind all the others at present. And despite Roy's big talk of him, he's not even picking him regularly for Sunderland.

tin tin
30/03/2007, 11:52 AM
Steven Reid. He's the answer long term for me, not Miller though, he's behind all the others at present. And despite Roy's big talk of him, he's not even picking him regularly for Sunderland.

How can we depend on reid long term. he has terrible luck with injury and who is to say he will come back as good as before. i would love to see it happen but i have my doubts. But for now as he is injured who could we have played instead of kilbane on wednesday night. Liam miller. He will make eventually. never got a chance at united and that really set him back

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 11:55 AM
How can we depend on reid long term. he has terrible luck with injury and who is to say he will come back as good as before. i would love to see it happen but i have my doubts. But for now as he is injured who could we have played instead of kilbane on wednesday night. Liam miller. He will make eventually. never got a chance at united and that really set him back

Well Miller has about as much chance of making it as Reid, and he's never impressed me. Joey O'Brien is another long term alternative and Owen Garvan who's a real prospect at Ipswich and of course Douglas has done ok and should get better. I don't think Miller even deserves to be in the squad at present.

tin tin
30/03/2007, 12:01 PM
What about Mcphail and Flood at Cardiff. Haven't heard about them with a while are they progressing. Mcphail had the potential to be a real player

Peadar
30/03/2007, 12:01 PM
What about Liam Miller ...

He's from Cork, like ... (http://cache4.spreadshirt.net/users/592000/591572/products/591572_4048512_1_huge.jpg)

tin tin
30/03/2007, 12:06 PM
So is Ireland

Peadar
30/03/2007, 12:09 PM
So is Ireland

Staunton hasn't realised that yet.
He just saw Ireland on the profile and presumed he wasn't from Cork. :D

citizenerased
30/03/2007, 12:12 PM
Fully fit team September (Hopefully)

.....................Given

finnan..........McShane.....Dunne......O'Shea

.................S.Reid.......Carsley

McGeady............Keane.............Duff

........................Doyle

Not a bad team at all

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 12:16 PM
Fully fit team September (Hopefully)

.....................Given

finnan..........McShane.....Dunne......O'Shea

.................S.Reid.......Carsley

McGeady............Keane.............Duff

........................Doyle

Not a bad team at all

Thats a well capable team and when you look at it it kind of makes a mockery of this 4 year plan business. Hunt for McGeady is a possibility with Duff switching sides but either or would do. Now we need to start looking at possibilities if players get injured and that should be done in the summer friendlies.

Noelys Guitar
30/03/2007, 12:20 PM
What we need now is a classy, tough central midfielder to come through from somewhere. Someone either to improve beyond recognition. Come through from the younger sides or a newly declared Irishman. It might happen. 6 months is a long time away in football.

Torn-Ado
30/03/2007, 12:38 PM
What we need now is a classy, tough central midfielder to come through from somewhere. Someone either to improve beyond recognition. Come through from the younger sides or a newly declared Irishman. It might happen. 6 months is a long time away in football.

Kevin Nolan is your answer. We badly need a player of his capability in our side.

cavan_fan
30/03/2007, 12:48 PM
Kevin Nolan is your answer. We badly need a player of his capability in our side.

Damn I wanted to be the one to say that!

If he's not available then I hear Momo Sissoko is quite good, can we have him.

Stuttgart88
30/03/2007, 12:51 PM
Joey O'Brien is another long term alternative
Good call, I knew there was someone I was trying to remember.

Torn-Ado
30/03/2007, 12:56 PM
Damn I wanted to be the one to say that!

If he's not available then I hear Momo Sissoko is quite good, can we have him.

Don't be ridiculous.

Sissoko doesn't have an Irish grandmother.

:p

Kevin Nolan all the way.

Ceirtlis
30/03/2007, 1:02 PM
He would definatlely improve the team Adrian but i dont think he is eligible and he doesnt want to play for us anyway so its a non-runner.

Thought O'Shea had a great game. Some oul wan in front of me at the match got onto me for saying he was having a stormer. People are very quick to critisise his shortcomings. Some of the papers said that he was dodgy.

Torn-Ado
30/03/2007, 1:14 PM
He would definatlely improve the team Adrian but i dont think he is eligible and he doesnt want to play for us anyway so its a non-runner.

Thought O'Shea had a great game. Some oul wan in front of me at the match got onto me for saying he was having a stormer. People are very quick to critisise his shortcomings. Some of the papers said that he was dodgy.

I thought he had an Irish connection i.e Grandparents or something. He is exactly the type of player Ireland need. An attacking midfielder who can create goals.

Are you up for Slovakia and Czechland in September Conor? I should be long out of this boring gaffe by then.

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 1:21 PM
I thought he had an Irish connection i.e Grandparents or something. He is exactly the type of player Ireland need. An attacking midfielder who can create goals.

Are you up for Slovakia and Czechland in September Conor? I should be long out of this boring gaffe by then.

But didn't he miss his chance in the amnesty for Under 21 caps. Pretty sure he played for England at that level. I'd say he's waiting to see if McClaren gets the sack and Fat Sam gets the job.

RogerMilla
30/03/2007, 1:22 PM
ah jaysis lads no more about nolan!!! its been done !!

NeilMcD
30/03/2007, 1:24 PM
Jesus lads this has been debated to death, he cannot play for us end of story and does not want to either.

Noelys Guitar
30/03/2007, 3:28 PM
What about that Nolan geezer!

youngirish
30/03/2007, 3:29 PM

This is J O'Brien in a nutshell if he can overcome his injury.

citizenerased
30/03/2007, 3:39 PM
Fecckk nolan we dont need another uninterested premadonna with no pride for the green jersey!

Armando
30/03/2007, 4:10 PM
Christ lads! KEVIN NOLAN DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR US

We wouldn't want him anyway. Poor distributor of the ball and hugely over rated. Give me either of the Reids anyday.....now if only they could get back to full fitness:(

Thomo
30/03/2007, 4:27 PM
What about Mcphail and Flood at Cardiff. Haven't heard about them with a while are they progressing. Mcphail had the potential to be a real player

ive never rated mcphail-ure, not even at leeds, as for flood he had a few good gmes for man city, but nothing spectacular, cover at best.

carloz
30/03/2007, 6:00 PM
Kevin Nolan has been found out this season and has actually been very poor. I really feel that S. Reid is a better player. Unfortunatly its quite worrying that he had suffered two bad injuries in a row. Whats most worrying is the length of time he was out with a back injury, those are very tough injuries to get rid of. Even Mancherster United were interested in him after his performances last season. With Stephen Reid beside Carsley we really have a team with good shape. I pray that he can come back to full fitness but i doubt we will see him for the September double header

stojkovic
30/03/2007, 7:33 PM
Keane plays well for Spurs because he has competition from Berbatov, Defoe and Mido for the two slots. He needs that for Ireland and he certainly has it now so hopefully he will COP-ON. And Stan will be as strong as Martin Jol.

He is not a number one striker (like Quinn or Doyle) but when he was asked to perform that role against Wales, he should have led by example and done it. Full Stop. He is supposed to be the fecking captain. I didnt see Finnan drifting over to right full and standing beside O'Shea !

I do agree that a withdrawn role behind Doyle will suit him, if he stops waving his arms like a windmill. If not McGeady and Ireland are hungry enough and potentially good enough to do it.

cavan_fan
30/03/2007, 7:37 PM
ive never rated mcphail-ure, not even at leeds, as for flood he had a few good gmes for man city, but nothing spectacular, cover at best.

My 2 year old daughter has more physical presence than Flood.

Superhoops
30/03/2007, 9:43 PM
As one of his biggest critics on this forum, have to say IMO O'Shea had his best game for Ireland on Wednesday. A pity it has taken 36 games for him to at last look like an international player. He was good, but he wasn't great and switched off once or twice. I hope he can kick on from here when he plays for us. If he can and stays sound, no reason why he won't get 80-100 caps.

Odd choice that Richard Dunne got MOTM. Personally, I would have given it to Paul McShane or Kevin Doyle.

limerickblue
31/03/2007, 5:56 PM
well everyone, as i am from limerick, i think i will state the obvious. we scored more goals

Irish_Praha
31/03/2007, 7:19 PM
As I mentioned in another thread what we are really missing is a hard-tackling creative CMF player to partner Carsley. Unfortunately their is no stand-out candidate. IMO the top contenders would be:

1. Stephen Reid (injured and struggles to bring his club form to international level, needs a run at CMF and not to be played on the right like against Germany)
2. A. Reid (injured and is not a proven CMF player yet)
3. J. O'Brien (injured, had a great 1st season but needs to start playing in CMF for his club and show the same form there, if not then he would be a more than capable replacement for Finnan)
4. Garvan (just back from a long-term illness and is starting to show his form from last season. He would probably benefit from one more season in the Championship but then I can see him being a real success in the Premiership.)
5. Darren Gibson (needs to prove himself at a higher level first)

So it probably makes sense for us to stick with the 4-4-1-1 formation at the moment and I think this is why we won the last game because we played a system that suited the players available to us.

DeNiro
31/03/2007, 7:37 PM
We'll we could bring Garvan and Gibson to the States in May and give them games there. I think this tour could be very important for Staunton. I suspect he will play the team he wants against CZ and Slovakia in Denmark in August. All going well everyone should be fit!

Qwerty
31/03/2007, 7:38 PM
Why did we beat the Slovaks?

I said before the 2 games that the return of Given gave me the warm fuzzy. For all the improvement across the team especially for the Slovak game if you substituted any of our other keeprs for Given I don't think we would have won both games 1-0.

Given has played 3 games for us in this campaign and conceded 1 goal, and that a deflection. Given gives us a huge boost.

co. down green
31/03/2007, 8:16 PM
We'll we could bring Garvan and Gibson to the States in May and give them games there. I think this tour could be very important for Staunton. I suspect he will play the team he wants against CZ and Slovakia in Denmark in August. All going well everyone should be fit!

I agree

Staunton should use the games in the states to blood some of the new lads at senior level.

Garvan,Gibson,O'Dea, Stephen Quinn,Keogh etc..

Maybe bring in Billy Clarke & a couple of the other u21 players into the squad as well.

Stuttgart88
02/04/2007, 7:44 AM
One satisfying aspect of the win was that the winner came from a set piece, and so was the next closest chance (Long’s header which was cleared off the line). I hope this wasn’t just by luck.

I’ve lost count of the number of times Mourinho’s Chelsea has won tight games through the quality of their set pieces, Martin O’Neill’s Celtic teams too. With our current team there’s little to separate us from the teams seeded just above us and just below us so every little bit extra helps.

Set pieces under Kerr were atrocious and until Wednesday, set pieces under Staunton were poor too.

tetsujin1979
02/04/2007, 9:25 AM
I thought the way the team lines up for set pieces was a lot different than under Kerr, there's usually a group of 4 or 5 players standing together, and 2 more standing further off. When the free kick taker begins his run up, the group splits and runs to (what you hope is) pre-arranged target spots. Since the 4 are being marked by 4 defenders who are now on top of each other, it does create some degree of confusion. I think this is what allowed Doyle to move in front of his marker on wednesday night.