PDA

View Full Version : Shels withdraw from CL

kdjaC
29/03/2007, 11:03 PM
Statement from the Board of Management of Shelbourne FC - by Gareth Penrose

Following a meeting this evening of the board of management of Shelbourne FC, it was decided that Shelbourne FC would not be applying for a UEFA licence for this season. The club feels that following its recent success over the last number of years , it would not be of benefit to the clubs record to play in this seasons Champions League qualifying rounds.

It is also felt that it would be of no benefit to the leagues co-efficient in Europe, which Shelbourne FC along with other clubs has helped to raise.

Shelbourne FC would hope that our fans will understand the board of managements decision, and we would like to wish all the Eircom League of Ireland clubs well in this seasons UEFA competitions.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=609

kdjac

sligoman
29/03/2007, 11:04 PM
Fair play to Shels, right decision made!

charliesboots
29/03/2007, 11:07 PM
Have passport, will travel!!

Presume we get the Champions League place now as seen as we're top of the league. Probably the best idea for the leagues co-efficient.;)

cheifo
29/03/2007, 11:15 PM
Will they be replaced with another EL team.

holidaysong
29/03/2007, 11:17 PM
Do they want a Blue Peter badge for this decision? It's not like they were going to get a licence anyway...

higgins
29/03/2007, 11:22 PM
Holidaysong
Why not ?

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 11:22 PM
Will they be replaced with another EL team.No, Sunderland will get in as the next best Irish team....

Gareth
29/03/2007, 11:23 PM
holidaySong, what is your point?

holidaysong
29/03/2007, 11:29 PM
Shelbourne are just bringing out this statement to get a bit of good PR and a pat on the back. If they had applied for a UEFA licence they wouldn't have gotten one. In my opinion, they are essentially jumping before they were pushed...

Gareth
29/03/2007, 11:30 PM
So..?

cheifo
29/03/2007, 11:30 PM
No, Sunderland will get in as the next best Irish team....
I'm a Harps fan.I'd prefer Sunderland to represent us than some other team I could mention.;)

holidaysong
29/03/2007, 11:34 PM
My point is this - Sligoman reacted saying 'fair play' to Shelbourne, why praise them when they were just announcing what was quite inevitable?

Billy Lord
29/03/2007, 11:37 PM
Shels took this on the chin rather than contest it. Fair play.

Student Mullet
29/03/2007, 11:38 PM
My point is this - Sligoman reacted saying 'fair play' to Shelbourne, why praise them when they were just announcing what was quite inevitable?
Because they withdrew with positive reasons stated instead of kicking up a fuss and holding a christmas tree hostage.

higgins
29/03/2007, 11:39 PM

You don't know if that's what was going to happen. Even if they did know then the 'fair play' comment still stands as they did the right thing.

You'd imagine being in 22nd place in the EL and making a good decision that foot posters would stop with the Shels bashing but that doesn't seem to be the case :rolleyes:

holidaysong , If you were the Shelbourne Board of Management what would you have done?

EDIT: I see Billy Lord and Student Mullet can accept it for what it is without having a go. Thanks.

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 11:40 PM
I'm a Harps fan.I'd prefer Sunderland to represent us than some other team I could mention.;)Pats get into UEFA and Derry go into Champions League.

Sensible decision by Shels, rather than get themselves off the hook, I think its most beneficial to the FAI as it effectively stops UEFA from poking around into the murky world of Shels recent dealings and the FAI's knowledge of what was going on.

TheBoss
29/03/2007, 11:44 PM
For the benefit of League of Ireland football as stated, it was the right decision obviously, if they did enter, they would have been getting beat 5 or 6-0 by any team really.

higgins
29/03/2007, 11:48 PM
.....its most beneficial to the FAI as it effectively stops UEFA from poking around into the murky world of Shels recent dealings and the FAI's knowledge of what was going on.

Are you saying that you think the FAI know something they don't want UEFA to know!! :eek:
the way you're talking here it's like the FAI are doing Shels a favour in all this! :rolleyes: I think UEFA would be more than happy with the punishment that the FAI have dished out to Shelbourne. We lied and we were caught out and demoted.

Enjoy your trip... :o

holidaysong
29/03/2007, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't think any less of Shelbourne if they had opted for UEFA to have a snoop around in their affairs rather than this statement way out. Although it appears noble, I really don't think Shels would have done it if they had thought they had a credible chance of getting into Europe this season. Obviously they may have thought they could have gotten in but decided to preserve the co-efficient by not trying to. However, I don't think so.

Gareth
29/03/2007, 11:59 PM
HolidaySong, damned if you do, damned if you dont eh!!

Poor Student
30/03/2007, 12:02 AM
Shelbourne are just bringing out this statement to get a bit of good PR and a pat on the back. If they had applied for a UEFA licence they wouldn't have gotten one. In my opinion, they are essentially jumping before they were pushed...

I knew someone would say this but I still think it's better they did the gracious thing. I think a year ago with Ollie in better health and firmer control they'd have fought this bitterly with full embarrassing media coverage. I'm glad the matter has been resolved amicably and for the better.

Dodge
30/03/2007, 6:13 AM
I knew someone would say this but I still think it's better they did the gracious thing. I think a year ago with Ollie in better health and firmer control they'd have fought this bitterly with full embarrassing media coverage. I'm glad the matter has been resolved amicably and for the better.

Thats it for me. A nice change from all the embarressing episodes. Only a couple of months ago Shels forced their players to go to court so nice to see a little humility from them (or any other club actually)

seand
30/03/2007, 7:37 AM
I can only assume they sneaked that one through a board meeting when Ollie was out sick!

Fair play to Shels for doing the right thing.... a sentence I never thought I'd type.

Ebmania
30/03/2007, 7:46 AM
St Pats will be fantastic in europe this season. The style of our football will go down very well with the european no hard tackling refs. May as well win the Uefa Cup.

DvB
30/03/2007, 7:51 AM
Shels in 'doing the decent thing' shock!! :)

All kidding aside, i think they deserve a wee bit of credit for not dragging out the inevitable & taking their situation graciously!

Koh

Bluebeard
30/03/2007, 8:25 AM
Finally, someone is thinking of the co-efficient.

OneRedArmy
30/03/2007, 8:53 AM
the way you're talking here it's like the FAI are doing Shels a favour in all this! Quite the opposite, Shels are doing the FAI are favour in my view.

GavinZac
30/03/2007, 9:49 AM
HolidaySong, damned if you do, damned if you dont eh!!

well, it is shels we're talking about. they sold their soul a long time ago

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 9:58 AM
Real shame to hear this about Shelbourne.

Now those North West "European Giants" will be spunking their boxers at the thought of the Champions League.

Forever in our Shadows...

RĂ©iteoir
30/03/2007, 10:33 AM
Finally, someone is thinking of the co-efficient.

Hallelujah!

MariborKev
30/03/2007, 11:38 AM

Now those North West "European Giants" will be spunking their boxers at the thought of the Champions League.

Away and concentrate on the weekly "Huge games" that the IL provides.......:cool:

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 11:43 AM
Away and concentrate on the weekly "Huge games" that the IL provides.......:cool:

:rolleyes: no need to slag the Irish League....

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 12:12 PM
Best for all concerned so fair play. Derry and Pats are equipped to do alright this year, they just need a nice draw or two especially in the uefa which is by far the more attainable.

OneRedArmy
30/03/2007, 12:14 PM

Forever in our Shadows...Remind us of the IL's recent European record.

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 12:14 PM
Would the Eircom side be seeded?

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 12:24 PM
Remind us of the IL's recent European record.

The thread is not about Carnegie League in Europe, it's about the Eircom League in Europe. Last year was a disasterous year for the Carnegie League clubs in Europe I'm not disputing that, but why bring it up?

Do you really think youse are that good because you beat Gothenburg (a poor team that were once famous) and a Scottish Division One side? :rolleyes:

monkey magic
30/03/2007, 12:31 PM
Would the Eircom side be seeded?

YUP.:cool:

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 12:39 PM
YUP.:cool:

Excellent. That means there is a chance they could play the winners of the Carnegie Premier League. :D

Danny
30/03/2007, 12:52 PM
Pats have been invited to apply for a Uefa License and have accepted ....

www.stpatsfc.com

OneRedArmy
30/03/2007, 1:36 PM
Excellent. That means there is a chance they could play the winners of the Carnegie Premier League. :D
Like when Shels played the Glens...

Ceirtlis
30/03/2007, 1:37 PM

The eircom league teams would be only too delighted to play a team from the Carnegie league. Shels pished on Glentoran a few years back.

Graemerz
30/03/2007, 1:43 PM
The eircom league teams would be only too delighted to play a team from the Carnegie league. Shels pished on Glentoran a few years back.

Aye, but look at the Glens... :D Linfield could be a totally different story chaps... :cool:

BohsPartisan
30/03/2007, 2:42 PM
How did this thread turn into a Derry City v Linfield flame war?

charliesboots
30/03/2007, 2:44 PM

Question should be:

How did this thread turn into a Derry City v Linfield flame war considering David (Linfield) and DCFCSteve (muppet fella) aren't involved (YET)?

dancinpants
30/03/2007, 3:08 PM

Started somewhere around here:

SwanVsDalton
01/04/2007, 3:59 AM
The thread is not about Carnegie League in Europe, it's about the Eircom League in Europe. Last year was a disasterous year for the Carnegie League clubs in Europe I'm not disputing that, but why bring it up?

Your charming 'spunking the boxers' phrase opened it up. If you pardon the expression..

Do you really think youse are that good because you beat Gothenburg (a poor team that were once famous) and a Scottish Division One side? :rolleyes:

We beat a professional Swedish team featuring current internationals and spanked Gretna. So yeeeeeessssssssssssssss.:confused:

GavinZac
01/04/2007, 6:13 AM

i can't remember you beating anyone, ever? am i wrong? are there some rare precious victories over moldovan plumbers?

eugh i can't be kind to derry with fenlon involved in them now. :mad: :D