PDA

View Full Version : All Wexford players?

new blue
29/03/2007, 5:08 PM
Brilliant idea to have all Wexford team but some are not capable and some are not professional enough. How long before we have to import players from other counties - July?

passinginterest
29/03/2007, 5:14 PM
I can't see any players from outside the county arriving this season. I'd say a few more of the better players in the county who decided to stick with GAA or didn't think they had the time might change their minds if the team continues to do well.

It's possible that they might try bring in a few experienced players for next season, but, how many would be attracted by part time football in Wexford?
Training 4 nights a week with a match or two thrown in while still doing a full time day job is a big ask. Anyone joining the team would essentially have to live and work within an hours drive of Wexford.

ForzaWexford
29/03/2007, 6:12 PM
I dont think it's expected of the lads to be capable enough after 3 eL matches - but I do know that they are approaching everything fairly professionally. I dont think there'll be many "imports" in July either, and I hope there are none. One player who I'd imagine will come in is Mossy Mahon. He's been down training a good bit since dropping off the hurling panel, and I'd reckon he'd be a welcome addition to the squad.

brokenstar
29/03/2007, 7:06 PM
yeah, it's a bit harsh to suggest that some of the lads aren't capable or professional enough. We've barely played a handful of competitive games in this league, so this presumption is far too premature in my opinion. It doesn't send out great vibes to other would-be fans either to hear that maybe half the team aren't arsed.

From what i've heard and am hearing, the whole squad is giving their all and are sweating blood for just a chance to play in the eircom league. And I'm sure Mick and Pat wouldn't put up with anyone slacking off in any way. Personally I think, in time, fresh faces would be a good thing for the club as a whole. It prob won't happen for a while though.

Footsoldier
29/03/2007, 7:16 PM
Personally, the last thing I want to see is Youths turning into Kilkenny city, post Alfie Hale. A load of journeyman dubs coming down. Wallace won't be having any of it anyway. I think it's great to have a club made up entirely from locals. I've played against most of them and obviously I'm better than a lot of them! Seriously though, it would go against everything Wallace has been saying for the club to bring in outsiders.

Tazskool
29/03/2007, 8:08 PM
Personally I doont think they should import players into Wexford Youths FC at all within the first 5 season...

Before you all lynch me let me explain...

With the Youths being a new team into the League the lads and staff want to make their mark on the league. So they are more likely to play with pride and passion than any imported player would!

From what I have read about Mick he is very much for Wexford and bringing through the younger lads from around Wexford to play for the full team in future years.. He has a great base of players to choose from and, again from what I have read, the backing of the cummunity as he seems very level headed and is walking before he can run and doing everything properly!

Who cares if the Youths dont get top of the league within 2-3 years.. as long as the improvement is there and the infurstructure is progressing in the right direction the winning and everything that goes with it will come.

There is no way anyone, with common sense, would expect Wexford to win the league this season or next... but YES I do hope they do damn well and I do wish the lads give the teams around them a battle EVERY match and show everyone that you can win games with pride and passion.

new blue
29/03/2007, 11:45 PM
!00% behind idea of Wexford players on the team.
A great buzz in the area - magnificent complex and very professional and ambitious management.
My worry is that people at home in Junior League football haven't a clue what it takes to compete at this level. Still feel many of squad will be gone in Summer.

Tazskool
30/03/2007, 8:29 AM
Maybe they dont have an idea cause they havent played at that level OR had that level to aim for...
Now they have something to aim for they might step up and show some promise as players. Who knows...

Like I said before to have a team structure on and off the field that brings up amny youth players takes years and with the outlook of having an U-21 team in July this is just the start..

Personally if any of them leave in the summer for another team I'd be disgusted... For me its all about pride and honour.. If I was picked to play for Wexford Youths FC then I'd stay there till I was dead or thrown out.

Ambition starts at the top and filters thru the entire team... Mick will take Wexford far and do well as he seems very committed to the cause.

Piltownpossy
30/03/2007, 8:36 AM
Being a Wexford man myself, I'm all for a team full of Wexfordians. I know Mick said the squad/team s representative of each of the parishes within the county.

That is going to work either way for him, it could be good in generating interest from players and support around he county in a similar fashion to the GAA but I just hope its not naive on his behalf. Whilst its a noble idea to get the whole community involved - will it be at the expense of good talent in or around the same catchment area?

I hope not.

For now though I'm just thrilled we have a team to get excited about, and excited I am :-)

Re Kilkenny City - they are effectively a Waterford team. So much so they even train on our local pitch in Piltown which is far nearer to Waterford than Kilkenny - I think thats more to do with the manager being a Deise man and bringing in a lot of Waterford based players.

Mon The Yoots!

wexman
30/03/2007, 8:58 AM
wexford youths should stick with wexford players but there are a good few players in wexford far better than some players that are on that team as it is:confused: :confused:

G-Man
30/03/2007, 12:50 PM
wexford youths should stick with wexford players but there are a good few players in wexford far better than some players that are on that team as it is:confused: :confused:

I hate that kind of comment. If there are better players then where are they? Trials were open, anyone could attend. I know there were probably one or two lads who thought they'd make the panel that didnt, but if they didnt impress in the chances they got then thats it.

So who are the 'good few' that are better than players on the team?

passinginterest
30/03/2007, 12:58 PM
Have to agree with G-Man on this one.
Everyone has their own opinion on players that we think should be in the squad. I'd say everyone who's played in the Wexford League knows at least one player that he can't believe isn't in the squad.

But then look at the issues involved:
1. Wallace and Dolan are looking for a certain type of player, with attributes that can adapt to playing at a higher level.
2. The commitment to training is massive.
3. The players are all on strict diets and alcohol is banned.
4. They have to plan for the future as well as th present.
5. It's not a closed shop, it's never been said that players who continue to impress for their clubs and are willing to make the necessary commitments will not be considered in the future.

Taking all of that into account and considering the whole club is still in it's infancy and only dicovering what is needed to succeed at this level it is very unfair to criticise players in the squad or the selection process.

brokenstar
30/03/2007, 1:22 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself passinginterest. Mick and Pat know what their doing and they have a vision of where this club is going. They selected the players and they have faith in those players to take this club and establish it in the eircom league. Any criticism directed at the players at such an early stage is unwarranted as the club is still so young and still finding it's feet.

wexman
30/03/2007, 1:54 PM
lads i aint critisising any players i just said there are better players who were at trials that were not picked. players that have been best in wexford for a number of years & also players that have represented teams at a far higher standard than wexford youths are at the moment.

brokenstar
30/03/2007, 6:09 PM
thats fair enough wexman, but as G-man said the trials were open to everyone who wanted to give it a go and those talented enough that didn't make it obviously didn't perform well during the trial period. It's not only about the technical skill of the footballer that Mick & co were looking for, there was a huge commitment needed too. Maybe those players that didn't make it didn't show enough of what was needed to make it in Mick's eyes.

I accept your point though. Fair play. We all have off days and there were alot cursing themselves saying they could have done better. But that's the way it goes I suppose

wexman
05/09/2011, 12:39 PM
Where is the all- wexford team now? how many wexford players are playing for youths now? Player from every parish? A club for wexford players to play eircom league? I had serious concerns when youths started that wallace was doing things wrong and picked the wrong players from the very begining. I was slated by lads on here. Were are all these lads now? How many local lads have we now? We are in the dumps like I predicted and no way out.

Martinho II
05/09/2011, 9:40 PM
I saw on twitter from Mick Wallaces yesterday posting that his son Joe made his debut for youths so thats one local for you.

Youths4Ever
05/09/2011, 9:57 PM
Where is the all- wexford team now? how many wexford players are playing for youths now? Player from every parish? A club for wexford players to play eircom league? I had serious concerns when youths started that wallace was doing things wrong and picked the wrong players from the very begining. I was slated by lads on here. Were are all these lads now? How many local lads have we now? We are in the dumps like I predicted and no way out.

There is currently Murt Kehoe, Anto Rusell, Shane Dempseny, Danny Furlong, Robert Vickers, Eoin Kinsella and Pasty Malone from Wexford along with 3-4 players who are originally from outside wexford but who have played underage for the youths. Which I personally have no problem with as then have some sort of affilation to the club.

IMO the all wexford players have not worked for a number of reasons IMO the main four being

1. Mick and the mgt team have made some mistakes in terms of man mgt

2. Players are not willing to make the commitment that is involved which is huge

3. Better players go to other teams where then get paid (cant blame them for that really)
4. The negative attitude that the local teams have shown towards the Youths in the past 5 years

We may be in the dumps but always a way out :)