PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Club Say Stadium Project Is On Course

atfconline
15/01/2003, 3:40 PM
by Kevin O'Neill, Westmeath Independent (http://www.westmeathindependent.ie)

Despite concern within the football community Athlone Town Football Club has confirmed they are on course to carry out their proposed new all seated stadium at Lissywoolen on the Ballymahon Road, Athlone.

In last week's edition of the Westmeath Independent, the FAI's Regional Development Officer for the Midlands Padraic Nicholson expressed serious worry about the project and the long term future of the club. However, despite agreeing with certain aspects of Nicholson's comments, club Chairman Paddy McCaul says the stadium will go ahead and work is ongoing behind the scenes.

He said: 'The ground is not at a standstill. We have planning permission and tenders are out as we speak. We have complied with all the Department's recommendations and requirements. Nothing else can be done at the moment on a public level but a lot of work has happened behind the scenes. People must understand that the club is fully committed to this exciting project. I realise people wonder what is going on. I understand that. But I can assure everyone that we are on course to meet all our deadlines. There is a thirty day time limit on the tenders. Work will be visible on the site within two months and we will be playing there the season after next. I have no worries about it."

He agrees with Nicholson that the club needs an injection of new blood on the board. "We are extremely open to new members. People must know this. We would love and welcome anyone with fresh ideas and motivation to help the club progress. New people would be a godsend to the existing members. That is the honest truth because it is difficult and tiring to keep the club going. I am sure some of the current board would gladly step aside if fresh people came in. But people are dubious about attending our AGM's. I hope we get more people quickly because we need them to carry out the stadium project. It is a huge project for the town and the people have to get involved. I want people to know that our club is not a closed shop," he said.

Paddy pointed to Midland rivals Longford Town as a perfect example of a progressive and involved committee. He said: "Longford Town have about 100 people involved in the running of the club. That is exceptional and that is one of the main reasons they are successful. We have ten active board members and the Supporters Club have come on board and been a huge asset. If anyone has good ideas and cares about the club they are invited to get involved." He thinks the club must vastly improve its facilities but says this will go hand in hand with the new stadium. "I think it will change the way people perceive Athlone Town forever. We are over 100 years old and this year will be huge," he said. The Chairman also said that a public meeting will be held in the town in the coming weeks to discuss the stadium project.

Éanna
15/01/2003, 3:43 PM
if the guy is being straight with ye there it´s an excellent opportunity. hope things start moving soon.

Oh No
15/01/2003, 4:06 PM
........now let's hear progress reports on a weekly basis.

Silence on these issues make people worry.