PDA

View Full Version : Ireland 1-0 Slovakia Post Match Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

eirebhoy
29/03/2007, 4:38 PM
Stephen Quinn is one player of the 11. Anyway the German first 11 has some very average Bundesliga journeymen playing in it. On paper our strongest first 11 is better than theirs if we can agree that the Premiership is a better league than the Bundesliga (which it is).
They've a solid defence, with Lahm bombing forward. Frings, Ballack, Schweinsteiger and Schneider is a class midfield with Klose and Podolski up front. We're not at that standard.

Germany are favourites for the Euro's btw.

youngirish
29/03/2007, 4:43 PM
On paper only. Certainly not on the football field.

Exactly. The Germans are renowned for being better than the sum of their parts. We have been less than the sum of our parts in recent years.

Also Eirebhoy since when has the German defence been strong? Only Lahm is quality. The rest of their defence is dodgy. They conceeded sh*tloads of goals in the WC. Dunne, Finnan and Given would all make their starting line up.

eirebhoy
29/03/2007, 4:52 PM
Also Eirebhoy since when has the German defence been strong? Only Lahm is quality. The rest of their defence is dodgy.
Can't disagree. They're still a lot better than us on paper though. ;)

Nailer77
29/03/2007, 4:54 PM
Read the post it was a suggestion of our possible team 6 months down the road not today. As for not changing the team, yeah we beat Wales and Slovakia at home so we should never change the team again???????? Roll on Brazil. Good one.

I did read the post and didn't agree with a word of it and was at least nice about it so get off your high horse there. So 6 months down the road, the next competitive game in other words and you're going to start 3 kids who've a handful of caps between them on what basis?

O'Brien has hardly even played this season and spent a lot of time at RB anyway, but you're going to play him instead of Carlsey established in Evertons midfield and a key player for us recently, Why?

And Quinn on the left instead of Hunt, who's doing very well in a good PL team and who's looked excellent when he came on the last 2 games, or McGeady who's got CL experience, why?

And so Stephen Ireland becomes the senior man in midfield? This is a guy who while doing well in the recent games is still a kid and faded big time towards the end, so why? And while Carsley needs someone alongside him we've other options in Steven Reid and Andy Reid.

You're getting ahead of yourself here and I've no idea how you came to the conclusion that blooding 3 kids in midfield was somehow a good idea against Germany. As you say yourself, Roll on Brazil, Good one.

youngirish
29/03/2007, 5:07 PM
You're getting ahead of yourself here and I've no idea how you came to the conclusion that blooding 3 kids in midfield was somehow a good idea against Germany. As you say yourself, Roll on Brazil, Good one.
I wasn't suggesting that these players should all start. It was just an indication of what could be in another 6 months if the young players continue to improve as they have done this season (bar O'Brien who's injured).

Anyway I wouldn't even see a problem right now in dropping Kilbane in favour of Quinn (who has been excellent in the Premiership in a sh*t side, better than Kilbane anyway). This certainly wouldn't weaken the team. Hunt is also an option though I don't know if he can last for 90 minutes if he tries to play all game like he has been as a sub.

Experience is not such an important factor on the wing as in the central positions anyway.

Nailer77
29/03/2007, 5:14 PM
I wasn't suggesting that these players should all start. It was just an indication of what could be in another 6 months if the young players continue to improve as they have done this season (bar O'Brien who's injured).

Anyway I wouldn't even see a problem right now in dropping Kilbane in favour of Quinn (who has been excellent in the Premiership in a sh*t side, better than Kilbane anyway). This certainly wouldn't weaken the team. Hunt is also an option though I don't know if he can last for 90 minutes if he tries to play all game like he has been as a sub.

Experience is not such an important factor on the wing as in the central positions anyway.

Well fair enough it could be, but probably shouldn't be. Steven Reid still has more of a claim for Kilbanes spot than Quinn. Reid and Carsely would prove solid and would allow Keane/Ireland/A.Reid or whoever to roam behind Doyle with some freedom. I'm still of the opinion that I'd rather a midfield 3 than Robbie roaming behind Doyle cos I think we'd get more out of our wingers that way if we let them have more freedom especially for away games. With Keane behind Doyle you'd need to restrict them a little more.

And Kilbane's a great servant but I don't think he should be starting either. He was the right option last night given his energy and enthusiasm and the limited options but we need to be improving on him for that central role.

carloz
29/03/2007, 5:23 PM
I think we will be doing very well to get Stephen Reid bak by September, he has suffered two bad injuries in a row. I think Andy Reid may be a lost cause due to injuries. Just taught id point out how gracious Slovakia were in defeat, which is refreshing to see. Their manager gave a nice interview afterwards as well as bring complimentary to Stan after the final whistle. Also their players were all smiles at the end of the match and were all rushing to swap jerseys which was odd considering they just lost

republicofwhite
29/03/2007, 8:06 PM
I got castigated the other day fro singing the praises of McShane, Hunt and Ireland after Saturday. I feel thoroghly vindicated after last night. McShane is a bread and butter player of the highest order, his passion, bravery and aggression are the perfect combo for someone whom I'm sure is going to be great captain and pillar in years to come. He was brilliant to watch and saved our bacon. Hunt was a livewire, absolutely brilliant. He was locked in Copper's last night perched on my mates shoulders enjoying mass adulation...Well deserved. Cult status ensured. Thought Long was absolutely fantastic, you wouldn't have known he was a lone striker and injected so much pace...Desperately unlucky with the first chance and probably should have buried the second. Talk of trying to compare our squads ability to Germany is pointless. Whats important is that we now have a team that has been galvanised, rejuvenated and refound their spirit. Thats whats really gonna matter against the Germans.

shakermaker1982
29/03/2007, 9:22 PM
I was delighted with the lads last night, a lot more energy and tackles from the off especially when compared to Saturday. Consequently the ground was rocking because the fans could react to the action on the pitch.

Given as usual was first class and the back 4 were very solid. Duffer is playing himself into form and I thought Carsley was more effective this time around. I do think we need 2 forwards (would have liked Stokes/Long to have partnered Doyle) but hopefully Stan has seen enough to know that we need to play two wingers (Duff, Hunt/McGeady). To top it off I spotted Doyle at the airport this afternoon - I had to do a double take! Iwas expecting to see the other Reading/other London based players with him but didn't see them. Anyway 6 points and we are 'hopefully' on the up. The media can now focus on something else over the next 5/6 months instead of rattling Stan's cage.

craig7042
29/03/2007, 9:40 PM
There's nothing stupid about 7 points from five games against non-pub teams Craig.

Very relieved we held on for the win. Players deserve a heap of credit but Stan hardly does. I stand over my assertion that anything these players achieve in this group will be in spite of him -not likely because of him.

I think thats just being stubborn. Manager gets the blame when it goes wrong, but you have to give him credit when it goes right.
When the press attacked kerr, the team suffered badly and they deteriorated. This time they've risen to it and performed in the midst of criticism. That says something about Stan's work with them - keeping them going and focused.

The team did well. The young players are very exciting. Even Dunphy lost the run of himself on the after match a little bit!

craig7042
29/03/2007, 9:43 PM
I got castigated the other day fro singing the praises of McShane, Hunt and Ireland after Saturday. I feel thoroghly vindicated after last night. McShane is a bread and butter player of the highest order, his passion, bravery and aggression are the perfect combo for someone whom I'm sure is going to be great captain and pillar in years to come. He was brilliant to watch and saved our bacon. Hunt was a livewire, absolutely brilliant. He was locked in Copper's last night perched on my mates shoulders enjoying mass adulation...Well deserved. Cult status ensured. Thought Long was absolutely fantastic, you wouldn't have known he was a lone striker and injected so much pace...Desperately unlucky with the first chance and probably should have buried the second. Talk of trying to compare our squads ability to Germany is pointless. Whats important is that we now have a team that has been galvanised, rejuvenated and refound their spirit. Thats whats really gonna matter against the Germans.

Yes, you could easily spot the fans who felt vindicated at the game last night. It was so funny walking out. All the poker faces were the ones who had abused the team over the weeks, and the smiley grinning cheshire cats were the ones like you and me who thought we felt vindicated! It was great!

craig7042
29/03/2007, 10:27 PM
There is nothing but nothing worse in my view than that stupid ****ing wave. As another poster remarked the game was really tense and they started trying to get the wave going ,was delighted when the Stand up Chant started knocked it staright on the head.

I have to agree I dont like the mexican wave. Its crazy how it distracts from the game. Are people not focused? I like the "Stand up for the boys in green" bit, but to be honest you've just sat down and someone says "Stand up". You get knackered soon enough.

To answer the problems of both I'd say we should be standing for the whole match... It happens at anfield and other places and its a great sign of support. Next time... what do you think?

stojkovic
29/03/2007, 10:32 PM
Manager gets the blame when it goes wrong, but you have to give him credit when it goes right.
Book of Football Management, Page 1, Line 1 ;
Players win games, Managers lose them !

I have two points ;
Dont get carried away, as someone said, its only six points at home to two of the weaker teams in the group, we didnt beat the Germans or the Czechs. Everyone wants Ireland to WIN, we are entitled to criticise the team when they dont play well. If it takes a defeat to get rid of an inept manager then so be it. But NOBODY wants to see their team lose but the end can sometimes justify the means. I didnt care how well we played last night as long as we won but Saturday was different as Wales were the worst team I have seen since the plucky Faroes.

I am more confident now that the team has a future and we have cover in most areas except LEFT FULL and CENTRE MID. Kilbane needs to be replaced NOW (he is in because he was the only midfielder last night who can head the ball). We also need cover for Carsley. Stephen Reid is injury prone and is not a full time option. Maybe O'Shea may develop in there, he did amaze me and play ok last night. Finnan back to right full. Last night also finally put the final nail in Robbie Keane's coffin. Doyle, Long, McGeady and Ireland are all in front of The Petulent One as our attacking options with Stokes and others coming through. Thanks for the memories Robbie, you'll make a good impact sub.

Four points in Czech-and-Slovakia will do nicely. Hopefully by the time the Germans come to town they will have qualified already.

PS Has anyone got any prices for the trip in September ?

osarusan
30/03/2007, 2:52 AM
Yes, you could easily spot the fans who felt vindicated at the game last night. It was so funny walking out. All the poker faces were the ones who had abused the team over the weeks, and the smiley grinning cheshire cats were the ones like you and me who thought we felt vindicated! It was great!

you are my hero Craig. I wish i could be like you and blindy support the team as they struggle against poor teams, without criticizing them in any way, and them feel that it makes you a better fan than those who do criticize.

youngirish
30/03/2007, 9:21 AM
In fairness craig do you not think that a bit of criticism can also give the team the good kick up the ar*e it needed and let them know that as fans we expected better from them?

I'm not for all this be positive about the team no matter what sh*te. I think a kick up the ar*e gets people going far more than wrapping them in cotton wool. If I am doing fu*k all in my job I know I'll get a good kick up the ar*e so why should the Irish team be any different?

Condex
30/03/2007, 9:29 AM
Book of Football Management, Page 1, Line 1 ;
Players win games, Managers lose them !
Thanks for the memories Robbie, you'll make a good impact sub.

Four points in Czech-and-Slovakia will do nicely. Hopefully by the time the Germans come to town they will have qualified already.

1) I agree with you about Keane, should not be an automatic choice..

2) Don't get too carried away, we have not beaten a half decent team
away from home in a competetive match in long, long time...

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 9:32 AM

Thats just not true craig. I've criticised the team over the past few weeks and rightly so and the same goes for a lot of my mates but we were all delighted with the result. And the only way you can genuinly say you feel vindicated is if we progress from this result. We've seen this before against the Czechs so we could well see it again. Like I said no point creaming ourselves over one game its how we're fixed in November that will determine how well Stan has done. Might be a little early for the 'I told you so'!
The fact that we're rejoicing over a 1-0 home win over Slovakia should tell you a lot.

Stuttgart88
30/03/2007, 9:43 AM
Tonight I was with my breathren, the "real" supporters in the Lower Davin.I was just around the corner, at the corner flag, lower Hogan. Thought the support from the Lower Davin was superb in both games, but at least there was a performance that sustained the interest in the second game. As for that ****ing wave though :(. I was biting my nails and some people thought it was a carnival. I think the players now know exactly what the rank & file Ireland supporter thinks of them, not the Point Depot tossers. It's a contract - play like you care and that's all we want. Nobody thinks we have a right to turn teams over but at least put us in the mix. If Stan and his group think the Irish fans and media are demanding, look at the savages that were in Barcelona on Weds night.

At least we're still nominally in contention. Good use of the 3 friendlies (i.e., giving McGeady a sustained run to give him confidence) and who knows, we may hit the ground running in September.

Hunt's cross for Long reminded me of Galvin's ball to Aldo in Hannover. Quality. Same result though!

I was singing Alan Quinn's praises to my brother, then what did he do? Worst immediate impact in living memory!

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 10:43 AM
I was just around the corner, at the corner flag, lower Hogan. Thought the support from the Lower Davin was superb in both games, but at least there was a performance that sustained the interest in the second game. As for that ****ing wave though :(. I was biting my nails and some people thought it was a carnival. I think the players now know exactly what the rank & file Ireland supporter thinks of them, not the Point Depot tossers. It's a contract - play like you care and that's all we want. Nobody thinks we have a right to turn teams over but at least put us in the mix. If Stan and his group think the Irish fans and media are demanding, look at the savages that were in Barcelona on Weds night.

At least we're still nominally in contention. Good use of the 3 friendlies (i.e., giving McGeady a sustained run to give him confidence) and who knows, we may hit the ground running in September.

Hunt's cross for Long reminded me of Galvin's ball to Aldo in Hannover. Quality. Same result though!

I was singing Alan Quinn's praises to my brother, then what did he do? Worst immediate impact in living memory!

Agree with a lot of that, what we want from the players 1st and foremost is effort and the impression that they at least know what they're doing.

Stan really should make use of these friendlies to like you say give McGeady a chance to find his feet, same for Hunt, Long and Ireland. But primarily he has to look at blooding some more centre backs, O'Dea, McCarthy and Hawkins maybe should all be looked at because if Dunne or McShane are injured we could be in a quandry. And O'Shea at fullback or as an extra man in midfield is all well and good but I couldn't trust him at centre back.

OwlsFan
30/03/2007, 1:35 PM
Stan really should make use of these friendlies to like you say give McGeady a chance to find his feet, same for Hunt, Long and Ireland. But primarily he has to look at blooding some more centre backs, O'Dea, McCarthy and Hawkins maybe should all be looked at because if Dunne or McShane are injured we could be in a quandry. And O'Shea at fullback or as an extra man in midfield is all well and good but I couldn't trust him at centre back.

That's all very well but if he experiments and we get crucified, the majority of people will be on his back again.

O'Shea's defence is ok. It's his distribution that is not up to scratch which I wouldn't worry too much about in a centre-half (e.g. Moran, McCarthy etc).

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 1:59 PM
That's all very well but if he experiments and we get crucified, the majority of people will be on his back again.

O'Shea's defence is ok. It's his distribution that is not up to scratch which I wouldn't worry too much about in a centre-half (e.g. Moran, McCarthy etc).

His defence is very much only ok so its not just down to his distribution, Moran and McCarthy were both solid no nonsense defenders, O'Shea isn't.

Stan needs to have the balls to be prepared to take some more crticism but either way we shouldn't be getting slaughtered by Bolivia or Ecuador regardless. If he does it right and starts with 7/8 regulars and a couple of new heads then there can be no cause for complaint from anyone and that means doing things like starting people in their correct positions and giving them a fair go. All he has to do is go with the regular side and change a couple of players each game. Maybe rest McShane one game, and Dunne the next or even give O'Dea/McCarthy just a half in each game but we have to start looking at alternatives or the trip is a waste in my eyes, and I don't mean Terry Dixon's who are still playing with kids I mean real alternatives.

youngirish
30/03/2007, 2:12 PM
His defence is very much only ok so its not just down to his distribution, Moran and McCarthy were both solid no nonsense defenders, O'Shea isn't.

Stan needs to have the balls to be prepared to take some more crticism but either way we shouldn't be getting slaughtered by Bolivia or Ecuador regardless. If he does it right and starts with 7/8 regulars and a couple of new heads then there can be no cause for complaint from anyone and that means doing things like starting people in their correct positions and giving them a fair go. All he has to do is go with the regular side and change a couple of players each game. Maybe rest McShane one game, and Dunne the next or even give O'Dea/McCarthy just a half in each game but we have to start looking at alternatives or the trip is a waste in my eyes, and I don't mean Terry Dixon's who are still playing with kids I mean real alternatives.
Amen to that. He should use the trip to try out the likes of Hunt, Long, Stokes, McGeady, Kelly, O'Dea, J O'Brien (if he's fit), S Quinn, Keogh, Caleb Folan and Garvan to see what they are capable of. If there is going to be three games he can give the more experienced players such as Long, Hunt, McGeady and Stokes at least 1 full game each to see what they can do while he can bring on a couple of the others after half time to have a look at them.

DeNiro
30/03/2007, 2:15 PM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan;656857]That's all very well but if he experiments and we get crucified, the majority of people will be on his back again.

I don't think they will. It's a summer trip. Nothing to lose. It won't be on TV I suspect so it won't get so much media attention. We need to see a sustained run from McGeady for sure. A start or two for Hunt to see what he can do in more than 15 minutes. Also, I'm sure Folan will get a game. We need to give Colgan, Doyle and Henderson and Kenny :confused: games. Maybe Given could stay at home.

Stuttgart88
30/03/2007, 2:52 PM
I think we played US games in summer 2000. Nothing stood out but a few new guys getting capped including Richard Dunne who played a few games. Then, in September, our squad was badly struggling with injuries so Dunne was forced in at the deep end in Amsterdam. He played a blinder. I've no doubt that the US games helped him. It's small things like these that help.