PDA

View Full Version : Left back

Paddyfield
28/03/2007, 9:02 PM
We seem to have a problem at Left Back for one reason or another.

A the end of the Drogs game, the best LB in Galway walked passed me on the way out of Terryland.

Who else other than Mike Quirke. When he's match fit, he would slot in easily. He is only around the 30 mark so he's not passed it yet.

Cousins probaly doesn't even know about Quirkey even though they probably played against each other a few years ago.

_____
_____

Student Mullet
28/03/2007, 10:30 PM
We seem to have a problem at Left Back for one reason or another.Because yee got rid of Micko?

gufct
29/03/2007, 8:29 AM
I think the cover either of our left backs gets from our temperemental left winger is nil and hence they get exposed with 2 men breaking at them all the time. It was interesting to read Tonys Comments about giving away stupid frees in dangerous areas costing us last friday.

scoobysham
29/03/2007, 9:23 AM
lads how is shane tracy doing with ye..... played with him at wembley.... he is out of position playing left back more of a left winger and to be honest he didnt get much help from the left wing ye have in the game against cork city....

Demoshield
29/03/2007, 10:35 PM
I think the cover either of our left backs gets from our temperemental left winger is nil and hence they get exposed with 2 men breaking at them all the time.
It was interesting to read Tonys Comments about giving away stupid frees in dangerous areas costing us last friday.
If either of them were a left back & could defend it would be a help also.
I hope he also noticed how much leaving opposing players unmarked in the box cost us last friday, oh and against Sligo also. Players are always going to give away stupid frees, but we should be able to defend a free kick.
IMO Tracy on left wing & O'Brien on right wing worth a go. Cooky has been very disappointing so far.

John83
30/03/2007, 9:35 AM
Because yee got rid of Micko?
I opened this thread to post just that. :eek::D

MyTown
30/03/2007, 9:49 AM
I opened this thread to post just that. :eek::D

John83 & Student Mullett: It's fair to say of the three players we signed on loan last season Micko endeared himself least to the locals. He had a very rocky start at left back and we shipped a lot of goals down that side. Only when he was used at left side midfield did he really offer anything, and then only as a defensive midfielder. I don't think he was happy in Galway. (which is unusual for a Donegal man - they effectively colonised UCG in the 70s and 80s).

All of us have our own views on the players the Manager retained and released in the close season, but there was no debate about the decision to let Micko go. The best of luck to him.

Paddyfield opened this thread and nailed his colours to the mast in favour of a local and brilliant GUFC servant, on and off the field (Michael Quirke) who co-managed Salthill Devon u-21s to All Ireland success last season. I think there is no chance of MQs career being resurrected (he was a spectator at the Drogs game) and it remains to be seen how the manager resolves the problems we have in that area. Definitely if he persists with DoBrien as outside left, we've got to get more cover at left full. 3-5-2 looked like it was going to be a major success last week, until we conceded the late free kick and failed to defend it.

Anyway - on to Tolka - Let's get after Scullys boys!

galway-united5
30/03/2007, 4:09 PM
omg i remember shane yracy when he was 16.He played left mid against mervue in the irish cup final.He was very good every one was sayin is that the arsenal fella.hes way better at left mid