PDA

View Full Version : United Park capacity?

Pages : [1] 2

Paddyfield
27/03/2007, 9:45 PM
According to Drogheda's website, their ground capacity has been reduced to 1500....

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=990

OneRedArmy
27/03/2007, 10:29 PM
A further breach of the Licensing requirement that they are already in breach of?

Drogs not on a great run off the pitch at the minute.

Student Mullet
27/03/2007, 10:33 PM
Is there any reason given? I was up there the other week and it didn't seem out of shape.

Drogman.
28/03/2007, 7:12 AM
Apparently after the Linfield game where there was rumour of a lot of forged tickets doing the rounds, the club were forced into limiting the capacity for health and safety reasons until they can sort out the mess, as the tickets for our games are nothing short of a disaster. Just terrible pieces of cardboard that anyone can photocopy.

We were told of this through an ex-employee of the club on our forum but nothing was mentioned on the official website, or local radio or local rag. Then on Monday night the club decided to lock the gates after selling all the tickets which mean't that some season ticket holders and others were told to go away.

There has been uproar over this and it's another mess the club has got themselves into.

For all the progress the club has made on the pitch, off the pitch the administration staff just seem clueless and the club, as has been happening for quite a while now, just treat the fans with contempt.

Not only did the club do nothing, but when the general manager was confronted by one of the lads who was refused entry on Monday night, the general manager "advised" him that the notice was on the website, so now they are reducing themselves to telling lies to the fans.

Wan*ers!

ndrog
28/03/2007, 10:05 AM
I second that .TOTAL ******* :mad:

Dodge
28/03/2007, 10:21 AM
And this is the crowd who want to build a new town?

Shameful when season ticket holders can't get into a game

Ebmania
28/03/2007, 11:24 AM
Apparently after the Linfield game where there was rumour of a lot of forged tickets doing the rounds, the club were forced into limiting the capacity for health and safety reasons until they can sort out the mess, as the tickets for our games are nothing short of a disaster. Just terrible pieces of cardboard that anyone can photocopy.

We were told of this through an ex-employee of the club on our forum but nothing was mentioned on the official website, or local radio or local rag. Then on Monday night the club decided to lock the gates after selling all the tickets which mean't that some season ticket holders and others were told to go away.

There has been uproar over this and it's another mess the club has got themselves into.

For all the progress the club has made on the pitch, off the pitch the administration staff just seem clueless and the club, as has been happening for quite a while now, just treat the fans with contempt.

Not only did the club do nothing, but when the general manager was confronted by one of the lads who was refused entry on Monday night, the general manager "advised" him that the notice was on the website, so now they are reducing themselves to telling lies to the fans.

Wan*ers!
Any more news on this new stadium.

Drogman.
28/03/2007, 11:33 AM
Any more news on this new stadium.

Nothing as yet. There was a meeting last week with East Meath councilors with some apparently supporting the project while others voicing some concerns.

I'll have to get my hands on the local rag later today to see if there is anything else on it as there has been some story on the stadium every week now for the past while.

redgav
28/03/2007, 12:25 PM
Nothing as yet. There was a meeting last week with East Meath councilors with some apparently supporting the project while others voicing some concerns.

I'll have to get my hands on the local rag later today to see if there is anything else on it as there has been some story on the stadium every week now for the past while.

Heard the full story last monday night , A cynical person might say someone in the Council didn't get whatever they were promised and are now acting like royal pains .They want 2 schools built and open before they allow planning to go ahead for the houses and stadium!!So 2 fully operating empty schools before the houses are built. The house sales were due to be used to fund the building of schools and the stadium but this has all been thrown up in the air after the meeting last week .Story I was told was that these sugar daddies you guys have are having a serious rethink after the latest council ruling

Dodge
28/03/2007, 12:50 PM
They're no sugar daddies.

A whole new town FFS

OneRedArmy
28/03/2007, 1:00 PM
Heard the full story last monday night , A cynical person might say someone in the Council didn't get whatever they were promised and are now acting like royal pains .They want 2 schools built and open before they allow planning to go ahead for the houses and stadium!!So 2 fully operating empty schools before the houses are built. The house sales were due to be used to fund the building of schools and the stadium but this has all been thrown up in the air after the meeting last week .Story I was told was that these sugar daddies you guys have are having a serious rethink after the latest council rulingIn fairness given the shambles regarding school places elsewhere in the county (where they built the houses before the schools and kids had no school to go to) its hard to disagree with the planners in this case.

In many cases promises of schools, recreations facilities etc. have mysteriously disappeared in similar developments once the houses have been built and sold.

Drogs fans sound like they have been sold a complete pup, the assumptions around this deal are ambiiitious at best and absolutely fanciful at worst, yet the clubs backers have repeatedly sold it as a done deal.

The basis by which they got this years License has also fallen to pieces.

paudie
28/03/2007, 1:10 PM
At the very least the schools should be ready for use when people move in to the houses.

This is the case with new towns such as Abbottstown.

Previous to that I think the government felt it might reduce the developers profits unnecessarily by having such unreasonable planning conditions.

Peadar
28/03/2007, 1:12 PM
If drogs get a home semi in the SSC, will they move it to Dalyer?

BohsPartisan
28/03/2007, 1:23 PM
In fairness given the shambles regarding school places elsewhere in the county (where they built the houses before the schools and kids had no school to go to) its hard to disagree with the planners in this case.

Dead right. There has been an ongoing row about the school in Laytown for the last 5 years. Another primary in Drogheda was an election issue at the last locals and I'm not sure the situation has improved. Theres also the small matter of the water supply in the area being overstretched.

Louth4sam
28/03/2007, 1:25 PM
like royal pains . Maybe thats cos they are from Meath.

TheBoss
28/03/2007, 1:27 PM
Now, Now.... ;)

MyTown
28/03/2007, 1:28 PM
Maybe thats cos they are from Meath.

What?:confused: Maybe that's why Louth is called the wee county!

Seems like Drogeda shouldn't have ditched the original name..........Lourdes Stadium

redgav
28/03/2007, 1:31 PM
Dead right. There has been an ongoing row about the school in Laytown for the last 5 years. Another primary in Drogheda was an election issue at the last locals and I'm not sure the situation has improved. Theres also the small matter of the water supply in the area being overstretched.

Thats the exact case cited in the CC meeting .Laytown school issue is what they've used to reject the initial planning .The problem is ,as I said ,that the funding for the schools and the stadium are based on house sales..The planning given to laytown was slightly ambigous(sp) regarding the clauses for the schools, whereas this one apparently is fairly water tight .I can see the councils side of it ,sure they've been bitten before ,but this could also cost them a lot of revenue if the development is binned.It also has potentiall drastic outcome for Drogs regarding the licences....Imagine it ,they could be replaced in the league by Dundalk :D

redgav
28/03/2007, 1:33 PM
Maybe thats cos they are from Meath.

was wondering if someone would pick up on that ;)

Louth4sam
28/03/2007, 1:43 PM
Well it went way over mytowns head :D

iceman
28/03/2007, 2:11 PM
Basically its a game of cat and mouse between an ex-employee , who happens to be a fire chief and the club. The word is that the club feel he used his contacts to have the capacity reduced as a grudge against the club , with the supporters , as always , the innocent victims.
Still does'nt excuse the way the club handled things on Monday night.:(

Pablo
28/03/2007, 3:22 PM
1,500?? More than Enough for Drogs.

Snoop Drog
28/03/2007, 10:36 PM
I can't understand why the development of the new stadium has been linked to the building of a new town. It should be a simple transaction: Sell United Park and use the money to build a new stadium. Is this over-simplistic?? Why the hell are we getting involved with a whole new fricken town???

Dodge
28/03/2007, 11:01 PM
I can't understand why the development of the new stadium has been linked to the building of a new town. It should be a simple transaction: Sell United Park and use the money to build a new stadium. Is this over-simplistic?? Why the hell are we getting involved with a whole new fricken town???

Obviously United Park would get €xm and a new ground costs €Xm+Ym

The town is Ym

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 2:04 AM
depends who were playing.aparently the latest word is away fans get 75 tickets and we get the restThats the minimum requirement that you are required to provide (5%).

All I'll say is:
a)good luck trying to segregate 75 fans in the "away stand"; and
b)don't complain when your license is withdrawn later in the season

Its not like you couldn't see it coming, the ground is the worst in the Premier by a margin.

Mr A
29/03/2007, 2:58 AM
Obviously United Park would get €xm and a new ground costs €Xm+Ym

I can think of no reason why Drogheda can't make this work if Athlone and Harps can, as United Park must be worth a fair few quid. Obviously there will be a shortfall but there should be substantial grant aid available and if Drogheda handle it right they should be able to basically get a new ground without spending much (if anything) on it by moving out of town. Instead they seem to have over-reached and gone for a massive complex in a project with very shaky foundations.

At the end of the day though United Park is still there and the option to move as described above is still there- but it's a long hard process and DUFC seem to need something very quickly indeed.

So- Drogheda for Oriel?

DvB
29/03/2007, 7:30 AM
depends who were playing.aparently the latest word is away fans get 75 tickets and we get the rest

I can see that going down well when we're playing there, given the numbers we usually bring to Drogheda! Our bus alone is full everytime we're up there & ours is just one of many!:mad:

How long is this likely to continue or is it a permanent arrangement?

Koh

passerrby
29/03/2007, 10:45 AM

but then certain people would not make a profit and the deal would be worthless

ndrog
29/03/2007, 11:10 AM
Thats the minimum requirement that you are required to provide (5%).

All I'll say is:
a)good luck trying to segregate 75 fans in the "away stand"; and
b)don't complain when your license is withdrawn later in the season

Its not like you couldn't see it coming, the ground is the worst in the Premier by a margin.

what sort of Crap are you spouting on about now .Who are you refering to ? what are WE supposed to do about it ? of course i gonna complain if our license is withdrawn ! why wouldnt i . Why would it be withdrawn in the first place .Are you shiit stiring or what ?

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 11:21 AM
what sort of Crap are you spouting on about now .Who are you refering to ? what are WE supposed to do about it ? of course i gonna complain if our license is withdrawn ! why wouldnt i . Why would it be withdrawn in the first place .Are you shiit stiring or what ?Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for you as fans but your club needs action taken against it.

United Park is a joke of a ground and comfortably the worst in the Premier.

You got awarded a license derogation on what is now exposed as a paper dream and now your capacity has been cut to a ridiculous level for a "top club".

If you don't get a license its not the FAI you need to complain to its the people that run your club.

Hope that explains it.

Dodge
29/03/2007, 11:39 AM
75 tickets for away fans is a disgrace

ndrog
29/03/2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks for being " concerned " about my club . It wouldnt be the first time someone fron derrycity stuck there nose in where its not wanted .Jim roddy would love to have seen us get chucked out of the leauge a few years back .We know the ground is crap but there is no reason to cut the capacity down to 1,500 .There is other forces at work here and political motivation behind this decision .I cant go into details but the situation will be sorted asap . No one knows better than us that the club needs to take action on the situation and to my knowledge they are .Get your own house in order before you come on here with your holier than thou attitude .You know nothing but the stuff you read on this forum and other rumours doing the rounds .

bigmac
29/03/2007, 11:59 AM
Bit of calm called for lads - attack the post not the poster.

headtheball
29/03/2007, 12:10 PM
We got 400 tickets for the Drogs game.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/season/07/news/displaystory.php?storyid=68

dcfc_1928
29/03/2007, 12:31 PM
ORA isn't someone from Derry City, he is a Derry City supporter.

I fail to see what his personal opinions on the subject have to do with Jim Roddy?!?

Thanks for being " concerned " about my club . It wouldnt be the first time someone fron derrycity stuck there nose in where its not wanted .

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for being " concerned " about my club . It wouldnt be the first time someone fron derrycity stuck there nose in where its not wanted .Jim roddy would love to have seen us get chucked out of the leauge a few years back .We know the ground is crap but there is no reason to cut the capacity down to 1,500 .There is other forces at work here and political motivation behind this decision .I cant go into details but the situation will be sorted asap . No one knows better than us that the club needs to take action on the situation and to my knowledge they are .Get your own house in order before you come on here with your holier than thou attitude .You know nothing but the stuff you read on this forum and other rumours doing the rounds .Nothing to do with holier than though, its you trying to defend the indefensible.

75 tickets is a joke.

As for vague comments about "it'll be sorted out" and "you don't know whats going on" that sounds a lot like Shels mark II.

As for the comments re Jim Roddy, I had forgotten how it was Derry City's fault your club was run like a circus and nearly went to the wall, thanks for reminding me.

All he actually asked for was for Drogheda to be treated the same way Derry were. The FAI didn't come and give us a sweetheart deal when we nearly went under, we had to sort our own house out.

ndrog
29/03/2007, 12:41 PM
Nothing to do with holier than though, its you trying to defend the indefensible.

75 tickets is a joke.

As for vague comments about "it'll be sorted out" and "you don't know whats going on" that sounds a lot like Shels mark II.

As for the comments re Jim Roddy, I had forgotten how it was Derry City's fault your club was run like a circus and nearly went to the wall, thanks for reminding me.

All he actually asked for was for Drogheda to be treated the same way Derry were. The FAI didn't come and give us a sweetheart deal when we nearly went under, we had to sort our own house out.

Im not defending anything .I know its a mess, but i am stating that it will be sorted out because measures are being put in place to bring the capacity of united park back up .Theres nothing vague about my comments, you dont know whats going on ,i do and cant go into it on here .Youve been allocated 400 tickets , so all is grand as far as your concerned .I shouldnt have mentioned jim roddy , apologies for that ,it has nothing to do with the current situation ,just on the defensive .Enjoy the game .

Mr A
29/03/2007, 12:56 PM
I think if Drogheda are limited to 1500 in the ground that they should actually limit the away fans to the minimum. They'd be daft not to look after their own fans first in my opinion.

OneRedArmy
29/03/2007, 1:04 PM
Im not defending anything .I know its a mess, but i am stating that it will be sorted out because measures are being put in place to bring the capacity of united park back up .Theres nothing vague about my comments, you dont know whats going on ,i do and cant go into it on here .Youve been allocated 400 tickets , so all is grand as far as your concerned .I shouldnt have mentioned jim roddy , apologies for that ,it has nothing to do with the current situation ,just on the defensive .Enjoy the game .400 tickets is a nice gesture and I think everyone would rather Drogs got the new ground for the greater good of the League.

Mr A
29/03/2007, 1:09 PM
400 tickets is a nice gesture and I think everyone would rather Drogs got the new ground for the greater good of the League.

It's not a nice gesture- it's a slap in the face for their own fans. That's unless they've managed to sort out a higher capacity of course.

Peadar
29/03/2007, 1:14 PM
drogs will be in breach of their licence, on a number of conditions.

Safe Holding Capacity
The stadium must have an approved Safe Holding Capacity of 3,000.
The Safe Holding Capacity must be relevant and safe for all competitions.
The Safe Holding Capacity should be defined in terms of individual seats, standing places and total number for each section of the stadium and for the stadium in total.
The Safe Holding Capacity is certified by FAI through the FAI Stadium Certificate process. The FAI will issue Stadium Certificates to clubs based on endorsements by the Local Authority, Gardai, Fire Service and Health Board.

Stadium Sectors and Segregated Areas

The stadium must be capable of being segregated into separate sectors.
At least one segregated sector must be capable of being allocated to away supporters when necessary. The method of segregation should be agreed between the club and the Gardai.
This segregated sector must be capable of accommodating a minimum amount of 5% of total capacity in a safe and comfortable manner. This segregated sector must be serviced by separate toilet facilities (see INF 1.25) and separate refreshment facilities (see INF 1.36).

Now, if drogs restrict away fans to 75, they wont be able to segregate them, unless they leave a sufficiently large section empty.

Mr A
29/03/2007, 1:20 PM
In fairness, every club is meant to have at least 3000 of a capacity and all get there one way or another, so it's bizarre that Drogheda can't. United Park is not the new Wembley but it's better than a few other grounds in the league, Finn Park included. Something here definitely stinks. Either Drogheda are being screwed by outside forces, they're completely incompetent or they're bringing this on themselves as a method of pressuring people into giving the go-ahead for their big old move.

Something tells me this story will run and run.

Schumi
29/03/2007, 1:25 PM
Now, if drogs restrict away fans to 75, they wont be able to segregate them, unless they leave a sufficiently large section empty.United Park can clearly hold a lot more than 1500 so putting only the 75 away fans into the away terrace wouldn't be an issue I would assume.

Peadar
29/03/2007, 1:27 PM
United Park can clearly hold a lot more than 1500 so putting only the 75 away fans into the away terrace wouldn't be an issue I would assume.

But why would you restrict the capacity of an isolated stand?
Are they going to try and squash more into the other stand?
I very much doubt that it's an overall number that they must stay within.
It's more likely to be a specific limit on each stand, which amounts in total to 1,500.

Schumi
29/03/2007, 1:49 PM
But why would you restrict the capacity of an isolated stand?
Are they going to try and squash more into the other stand?
I very much doubt that it's an overall number that they must stay within.
It's more likely to be a specific limit on each stand, which amounts in total to 1,500.I'm just guessing but given that the stands are big enough to hold a larger amount, the capacity may have to do with exits or something.

Ebmania
29/03/2007, 1:57 PM
In fairness, every club is meant to have at least 3000 of a capacity and all get there one way or another, so it's bizarre that Drogheda can't. United Park is not the new Wembley but it's better than a few other grounds in the league, Finn Park included. Something here definitely stinks. Either Drogheda are being screwed by outside forces, they're completely incompetent or they're bringing this on themselves as a method of pressuring people into giving the go-ahead for their big old move.

Something tells me this story will run and run.
Yeah i do believe someone has not recieved there envolope of the Brown kind. Rejected new stadium and now this. Someone has it in for you.

lofty9
29/03/2007, 1:59 PM
Simple Maths here, but if we take our allocation of 400 people the home fans only get 1100 tickets? That's a disgrace. It's a fixture I always go to, but I'll give it a miss. I'd be taking a genuine supporters ticket. It looks like it is not the clubs decision but a protest of some sort should be made on Friday from the Drogs fans.

micls
29/03/2007, 2:02 PM
Simple Maths here, but if we take our allocation of 400 people the home fans only get 1100 tickets? That's a disgrace. It's a fixture I always go to, but I'll give it a miss. I'd be taking a genuine supporters ticket. It looks like it is not the clubs decision but a protest of some sort should be made on Friday from the Drogs fans.

I agree with you alright but how many 'hard-core' Drogs fans are there? The ones that not only turn up to the big games like Friday but to the ones against UCD and Longford too? Any Drogs fans with a rough figure? Its a disgrace if all of those dont get tickets

ndrog
29/03/2007, 2:18 PM
think there was 1,800 at the ucd game .All drogs as no away fans .

BohsPartisan
29/03/2007, 2:19 PM
think there was 1,800 at the ucd game .All drogs as no away fans .

No way there are 1800 Hard-Core drogs fans. A few times last year you had attendances in the hundreds.