PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Ireland to win, yes or no?

Pages : [1] 2

craig7042
27/03/2007, 2:45 PM
I'm posting this thread, because I am actually coming to believe that although people are being over the top in their criticism of Stan, they genuinely want the team to do well.

Yes or no? Do you want Ireland to beat Slovakia or would you prefer them to lose to put more pressure on Stan......................

I dearly want them to win and for Stan to come through this...

Piltownpossy
27/03/2007, 2:47 PM
A win for sure

dynamo kerry
27/03/2007, 2:48 PM
A win please

we're closing in on the czechs

NeilMcD
27/03/2007, 2:48 PM
Yes I want them to win. I would never cheer against Ireland.

galwayhoop
27/03/2007, 2:50 PM
yes definately a win

however i hear that the slovaks are 3/1 for the win. a friend of mine is having a punt but i couldn't bring myself to back against my country - no matter how dissatisified i am with the regieme!

Torn-Ado
27/03/2007, 2:50 PM
I could never even imagining cheering for a team against Ireland.

I'll be cheering for an Ireland win for sure and anyone who says they want Slovakia to win to get Staunton out are not real Irish supporters.

Dublin12
27/03/2007, 2:51 PM
A win yes but if we lose it might still be a win if ginger gets his marching orders or does the honourable thing.

Nailer77
27/03/2007, 2:54 PM
Of course I want them to win, without a doubt. But I want a performance as well, I don't want us to get pummeled and somehow scrape a goal and then pretend everything is hunky dory. We need to see improvement on the pitch, we need to see some structure and leadership and I'm not confident we will.

cavan_fan
27/03/2007, 2:54 PM
A win yes as there is still slim chance of qualifying. When that's gone I would look for any result that would ensure Stan is not around for next campaign, even if that impacts on our seeding. I'd rather finish 5th with Stan gone than 3rd and have him stay for next campaign.

gufct
27/03/2007, 3:03 PM
A win anyone who wants them to lose doesnt deserve to call themselves Irish.

Wexford Rules
27/03/2007, 3:10 PM
Good to see there are some genuine Irish supporters left out there. Anyone who shouts for the opposition in Croke Park on Wednesday night does not deserve to be there. Stan is never going to be a great manager but there was'nt a queue looking for the job when it became available. I think the media should lighten up and let him get on with the job and see what happens, as amazing as it seems, we are still in with a shout of qualifying

TeamOfStevens
27/03/2007, 3:11 PM
A win of course. Stan maybe in over his head but that doesn't mean I don't want him to come good!

Claret Murph
27/03/2007, 3:11 PM
Yes ,a win and to see Robbie picking up the European championship cup next June

dr_peepee
27/03/2007, 3:12 PM
Damn Straight!!

Thunder-WYFC
27/03/2007, 3:13 PM
I for one will never go against Ireland no matter who is in charge or no matter how badly they are performing.Only 3 months ago did I place my name on the waiting list for the block booking.I doubt we'll be at Euro 08 but its important that we come at least 3rd to get our seeding up and make it slighty easier to qualiify for the WC in 2010

co. down green
27/03/2007, 3:20 PM
A win

With a good strong, organised team display & plenty of fight.

And a decent atmosphere would be nice !!

Pablo
27/03/2007, 3:20 PM
i always want Ireland to win. i can see why people dont though. Because the end result would mean the idiot would get sacked.

Peadar
27/03/2007, 3:22 PM
People are only foolish as Stan if they think he'll get sacked for bad results.

Pablo
27/03/2007, 3:22 PM
People are only foolish as Stan if they think he'll get sacked for bad results.

???

Of course he will?

Peadar
27/03/2007, 3:25 PM
How many more bad results do we need then? Delaney has said that he stands by his decision. Stan's job is as safe as houses!

greendeiseboy
27/03/2007, 3:26 PM
i dont think anyone genuinely wants them to lose including eamon dunphy - what's pis*ng everyone off is the incompetence of the manager and the lack of motivation he seems to have and the style of football (or lack of) on display - i hate seeing them lose - but i also hate whats going on at the moment

Billsthoughts
27/03/2007, 3:29 PM
A win but as the poster above said anything less than qualification he should go. Hes had some disastrous performances and qualification is still somehow in our own hands. If he cant mount a successfull campaign then he is not good enough and should go.

Nailer77
27/03/2007, 3:33 PM
A win anyone who wants them to lose doesnt deserve to call themselves Irish.

I don't agree with that. Personally I want them to win but I can understand the other point to a degree. There's such a thing as short term pain for a long term gain, and its whether you think Stan can come through this or not. I don't think he can but I also won't want them to lose tomorrow night.

galwayhoop
27/03/2007, 3:37 PM
personally i am struggling to get excited about tomorrow's game. for the first time i can remember i am not looking forward to an irish match. i obviously want us to win but i am not happy with this shambles. which btw includes the players too and not just the inept gaffugh.

sick of the FAI, Stan & Bobby's reign, underperforming/unmotivated players representing our country, shíte atmosphere's at irish games ........ this is not right.

Collyontour
27/03/2007, 3:38 PM
A win definitely. BTW for the optimists the closing date for tkt applications for the Euros is the 31st March on www.uefa.com. I'm going to apply anyway

dr_peepee
27/03/2007, 3:39 PM
I'm looking forward to the game. Wanna see how Duffer McGeady and Ireland do... That's the kind of line up being bantered about this board for months now.

Dotsy
27/03/2007, 3:40 PM
I can't understand how any Irish person could wish Ireland to lose.

Like it or not (and I don't) Stan is with us until at least the end of this campaign. Delaney is never going to sack the man he backed 100% at the start of the campaign regardless of results from here on in.

That may change if we don't qualify but I wouldn't bet on it. If we qualify then Stan deserves to remain in place in my opinion and people won't be bothered how we got there.

Either way anyone who considers themselves to be an Irish supporter has to want the team to win tomorrow.

head the ball
27/03/2007, 4:06 PM
I would always want Ireland to win any game.
I also am fully entitled to demand that Staunton gets the sack if results are not good. I wanted McCarthy to go and then Kerr and now Staunton as well unless their is a dramatic improvement. Its nothing personal.
I see no conflict of interest in that position as a true and loyal lifelong Ireland supporter who has spent a fortune over the years following our team, often when I could not afford it!
(Its what makes me great!)
We should be aiming to qualify for tournaments. I went to Germany last summer and I would have been so proud for my country to be there as well. Mixing with other supporters from other countries,(English obviously excepted) wall to wall football for a month and unbelievable supporter fan fasts we would have had a fantastic time. Thats what hurts when we miss out.
Now lets beat the Slovaks.We need hope.

Reddladd
27/03/2007, 4:10 PM
Ireland will win tomorrow night! and yes, that is what i'm looking forward to.

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 4:14 PM
I want them to lose and to lose every game until that thick tongued prk gets the chop. It'd be a bonus if Robbie Keane and Duff were demoted to the bench. For a long time I have felt that the Ireland football team hasn't represented me. Obviously the likes of Doyle coming through is good and I want him to do well. I want to see Wardie playing and doing well too. More homegrown talent, Stan gone, and Robbie Keane with an attitude adjustment and I'd feel like it was my team.

Wolfie
27/03/2007, 4:15 PM
I'm posting this thread, because I am actually coming to believe that although people are being over the top in their criticism of Stan, they genuinely want the team to do well.

Yes or no? Do you want Ireland to beat Slovakia or would you prefer them to lose to put more pressure on Stan......................

I dearly want them to win and for Stan to come through this...

Ireland to win - would never hope they lose.

Hope the crowd are more up for it tomorrow.

Paulie
27/03/2007, 4:16 PM
I want them to lose and to lose every game until that thick tongued prk gets the chop. It'd be a bonus if Robbie Keane and Duff were demoted to the bench. For a long time I have felt that the Ireland football team hasn't represented me. Obviously the likes of Doyle coming through is good and I want him to do well. I want to see Wardie playing and doing well too. More homegrown talent, Stan gone, and Robbie Keane with an attitude adjustment and I'd feel like it was my team.

It was only a matter of time.

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 4:17 PM
It was only a matter of time.

Just saying what I feel.

elroy
27/03/2007, 4:19 PM
Would never ever wish for anything other than an Irish win.

Would also like to see some signs of progress!

Anto McC
27/03/2007, 4:26 PM
No!!!

citizenerased
27/03/2007, 4:37 PM
Ireland win all the way.....MAYBE the cyprus might get a draw with the czechs!!! ha ah ha...im dreaming!

Noelys Guitar
27/03/2007, 4:49 PM
We will win tomorrow night. Improved performance. Under lights. Better atmosphere than Saturday. A real football game I hope. With Ireland coming out on top.

Paulie
27/03/2007, 4:52 PM
Just saying what I feel.

I don't agree with you but you're obviously free to express your opinion. Out of curiosity, if the board and the management at Bohs were doing the same kind of job with your club that Staunton and the FAI are doing with my national team would you want your club to lose? Do you think, as a result of their ineptitude, that you would begin to feel that Bohs no longer represented you and as a result stop supporting them?

I suppose the point I'm trying to get at, is that for me anyway, my national team goes beyond the FAI, the current management or the current players. It's about what the jersey represents. It's the knowledge that whether I agree with the team selection or not, for whatever reason, the eleven players that take the field are representing my country. It's not for me to pick and choose when I support them. I can't stop supporting them because I think the FAI are to a large degree inept or because I don't agree with the current managers tactics or selection policy. I can't just stop supporting them and then when someone else comes in who I like and who plays the same players I would start going to games again. That's not for me anyway.

Scram
27/03/2007, 4:56 PM
Good to see there are some genuine Irish supporters left out there. Anyone who shouts for the opposition in Croke Park on Wednesday night does not deserve to be there. Stan is never going to be a great manager but there was'nt a queue looking for the job when it became available. I think the media should lighten up and let him get on with the job and see what happens, as amazing as it seems, we are still in with a shout of qualifying

Who other than that Brit wanabee booze-pickled-bird-brain Dunphy would want Ireland to be beaten in any sport.

The Legend
27/03/2007, 5:19 PM
Definitely a win.

For anyone thinking no, even if we lost, Staunton would not go

PaulB
27/03/2007, 5:25 PM
I can't remember the last time i did not look forward to going to an ireland match, and have bene going for nigh on 30 years now. I am not looking forward to tomorrow, the thrill has gone. No matter what they say, I don't think the players give a toss (most of them). They know they're not going to qualify under stan, so its a week away, and make sure they don't get injured when they get back.

As has been said previously short term pain for long term gain, If I thought there would be a change of management if we lost, I'd accept a loss, as like it or not, we are going backwards under Stan at an alarming rate, he hasn't a breeze. I can't see Delaney doing the decent thing, and himself and stan walking the plank, so based on that a win it is ...

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 5:30 PM
I don't agree with you but you're obviously free to express your opinion. Out of curiosity, if the board and the management at Bohs were doing the same kind of job with your club that Staunton and the FAI are doing with my national team would you want your club to lose? Do you think, as a result of their ineptitude, that you would begin to feel that Bohs no longer represented you and as a result stop supporting them?

No but thats a different matter. I'll always be represented by Bohs because I'm a member so I'll always feel a part of the club. Club always comes before country for me anyway.

Having said that our defeat to Rovers in the cup last year did result in Farrelly's sacking so maybe that wasn't a bad thing after all.
Plus the reason I feel Ireland don't represent me is not the results, its the whole set up, its the attitude of a section of the players and its Delaney and Staunton themselves.

jbyrne
27/03/2007, 6:00 PM
its the attitude of a section of the players and its Delaney and Staunton themselves.

i dont believe for a second that players who turn up to play dont care. if they didnt care they just wouldnt turn up.
think about it logically... most of them play for nothing clubs who consider nothing more than premiership survival as success. their only chance of being in the limelight is success (relative or otherwise) with their country. also, i would find it hard to believe that players could turn up to play in front of crowds of the size of last sat and that it wouldnt make them care... they would just be inhuman if that was the case

LuckOfTheIrish
27/03/2007, 6:16 PM
:) Win!!!!

craig7042
27/03/2007, 6:27 PM
I suppose the point I'm trying to get at, is that for me anyway, my national team goes beyond the FAI, the current management or the current players. It's about what the jersey represents. It's the knowledge that whether I agree with the team selection or not, for whatever reason, the eleven players that take the field are representing my country. It's not for me to pick and choose when I support them. I can't stop supporting them because I think the FAI are to a large degree inept or because I don't agree with the current managers tactics or selection policy. I can't just stop supporting them and then when someone else comes in who I like and who plays the same players I would start going to games again. That's not for me anyway.

Wow, Paulie....will you marry me.....thats exactly how I feel. Same with Liverpool my club side. Even with Houllier, Souness, Kerr, roy keane (who I wasnt a supporter of, it still didnt change how I felt once the match starts - always support - a win always helps no matter how bad things get......

Well done. Thanks for the comment.......
www.theboysingreen.blogspot.com

Leejo
27/03/2007, 7:00 PM
Obv would like us to win but if we lost i wont lose to much sleep and then thats one result closer to Stauntons head rolling:D

FarBeag
27/03/2007, 7:12 PM
A win without a second thought.I would never want Ireland to lose at anything. I really don’t understand how any Irish person would want to see us get beaten.If we win tomorrow we can only get better as the two Reid’s should be ready for our next qualifier.

dfx-
27/03/2007, 7:22 PM
No.

BohsPartisan argues my opinion.:D

SUB of the day
27/03/2007, 7:27 PM
The lack of passion from the crowd last Saturday emanates from the fact, that under this regime, we are going nowhere and we know it.Football is the opium of the masses, but the gaffer is trying to con us with dodgy gear.THE EMPEROR IS WEARING NO CLOTHES.I was horrified when I heard Bryan Robson was in the running after Kerr, now I would welcome him like a messiah.Jesus how low can we go?Dream double.....Ireland win, and Stan goes{anywhere}

Murpholini
27/03/2007, 8:06 PM
Ireland to win. I don't doubt the commitment of any of the players in the squad. Keane and Duff threatening not to play if Staunton is sacked, you really cannot question their loyalty to this campaign and any attack on the manager is felt by all the squad.