PDA

View Full Version : Keane at it again...

Pages : [1] 2

AustinoAsprilla
27/03/2007, 9:32 AM
(from RTE website)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0327/ireland1.html

Keane questions Given approach

Roy Keane believes Republic of Ireland captain Shay Given has played too many games for his country.

The Newcastle United goalkeeper will tomorrow night equal Pat Bonner's 80-cap record for Ireland, in the Euro 2008 qualifying match at Croke Park.

But Sunderland manager Keane claims other goalkeepers should have started friendly internationals, claiming Given has picked up caps to get 'a pat on the back'.

Keane said: 'I think players have agendas - certain players come over all the time no matter what.

'Maybe they want to get 50 or 100 caps and a pat on the back for it.

'I think Shay's one of those ones - he wants to get 200 caps.'

Given, 30, had a spell on loan at Sunderland 11 years ago, before joining their north-east rivals for £1.5million from Blackburn the following year.

And Keane continued in The Sun: 'Shay seems to have played every game - even friendlies.

'You have other keepers, who travel all the time. Then, when they do play, they're taken off.

'I've always thought, when it comes to the lads who travel all the time, "give them a game".

'Qualifiers you have to win - but with friendly matches, give the lads who travel a game and don't be changing them at half-time, give them a full game.'

Prior to Saturday's 1-0 Euro 2008 qualfying defeat of Wales in Dublin, Keane accused those in the current Republic line-up of under-performing and also claimed there was a bias against Cork-based players.

NeilMcD
27/03/2007, 9:35 AM
2 things here, he is bang out of order to say that about Given and secondly from a back up perspective he is right but that is up to the manager. Dean Kiely should have played more games for us in friendlies etc. However Given should not not get the blame for this.

gufct
27/03/2007, 9:38 AM
read that in some paper on saturday .He has some neck Given has been brilliant for Ireland and this may be a bridge to far for most genuine Irish supporters.Roy should button it and get on with his own job.

youngirish
27/03/2007, 9:56 AM
Keane has some silly little bitter agenda here. He's trying to hang all those players who didn't support him in Saipan I believe. Given has been a better servant for us than him so he's bang out of order. He's also being disruptive at a time when he should keep his mouth shut. We need to beat Slovakia tomorrow and all this sh*te helps no-one. Keep quiet until Wednesday night.

citizenerased
27/03/2007, 10:03 AM
I agree he has no business slaggin off given, he has been are best player since keane left...a true servant...fantastic keeper

onenilgameover
27/03/2007, 10:11 AM
Brilliant he's slagging him off for having the drive and commitment to play for your country at every possible opportunity...ridiculous....shut up roy...

OwlsFan
27/03/2007, 10:12 AM
Reading between the lines, he's trying to make excuses for why he didn't "do friendlies" (letting others get a chance:rolleyes: ).

Dean Kiely should have played more games for us but as someone has said, that's not Shay's fault. To slag off someone for always making themselves available to play for their country is way over the top, even for Keane.

Billsthoughts
27/03/2007, 10:12 AM
I read the original piece and it didnt have the " I think shay is one of them" quote in it. but again so what? the team have a chance of qualifying and any real Irish supporters should concentrate on that and not be bothered by silly ****e

eirebhoy
27/03/2007, 10:20 AM
RTE were a bit slow picking this up. He said it last Friday. It must have only made the English papers today.

IsMiseSean
27/03/2007, 10:21 AM
I agreed with him on the Liam Miller (that he should be in the squad) but not on this! Shay is a legend for us, there should never be a bad word said about him

paul_oshea
27/03/2007, 10:31 AM
keane should shut the fcuk up

hopefully everyone will given a huge cheer when his name is read out tomorrow

galwayhoop
27/03/2007, 10:42 AM
next he will be having a go for shay making himself available for WC2002!!

given is a legend and should be commended for always making himself available despite having a young family, reaching his 30's and being an automatic 1st choice player. if only we had more players in the shay given mould.

also some people's (espically young kids) only chance to see the national team is at friendlies and they want to see the top players in them. keane is way off the mark on this one.

maybe he is critising given because he plays for newcastle and is attempting to curry more favour with his sunderland supporters, doubt it but you never know. i seriously wouldn't put anything past the man. he is a manipulative and vindictive person. he bears grudges for longer than most have war wounds - alfie haaland, two years was it?.

great player who may in turn be a great manager and even an irish manager at some point but he sould really keep stum on the current irish players, at least those who give a damn anyway!

Nailer77
27/03/2007, 10:42 AM
Keane could probably do with shutting his mouth for a bit now, he made a lot of fair points last week but how this one is relevant is beyond me.

nedder
27/03/2007, 11:14 AM
Keane could probably do with shutting his mouth for a bit now, he made a lot of fair points last week but how this one is relevant is beyond me.

Its not only not relevant, he's way out of order on this one.

Jerry The Saint
27/03/2007, 11:30 AM
I know Robbie Keane gets a lot of stick but he was genuinely gutted to be suspended for tomorrow's game. Both him and Duff have spoken in the past about how they always want to make themselves available to play for their country.

Definitely Roy seems to be justifying his own attitude to friendlies and the like while having a go at others (something he does a lot actually)

Hobbes
27/03/2007, 11:30 AM
Way out of order

cullenswood
27/03/2007, 11:35 AM
He said this last Friday and he didn't say it in the context it is now being reported. I think he was implying that some of the other keepers should have gotten a chance in the friendlies to gain experience, which makes sense. Don't think he was actually having a go at Shay

gustavo
27/03/2007, 11:36 AM
What an arsehole.

Lim till i die
27/03/2007, 11:38 AM
What a horrible, nasty, base, treacherous little man

The best he can be accused of here is stupidity

eighties mullet
27/03/2007, 11:41 AM
typical sh**e from Keane he was out of order last week and this nonsense hes spewing now critising a player for wanting to represent his country at every available oppurtunity!! its ridiculous.
he's a bitter twisted scumbag with deeprooted psychological problems ala saipan, only keane could walk out on his country,
how he still has supporters in this country amazes me

Fingal hoop
27/03/2007, 11:43 AM
this country is mad - the mob follow keane & the press stir it up

Billsthoughts
27/03/2007, 11:44 AM
What a horrible, nasty, base, treacherous little man

he's a bitter twisted scumbag with deeprooted psychological problems ala saipan, only keane could walk out on his country,
how he still has supporters in this country amazes me

Wow theres fair comment:rolleyes:
He doesnt have supporters he just has people who think he was a great player for Ireland. Same as Shay.

Over the post
27/03/2007, 11:46 AM
He said this last Friday and he didn't say it in the context it is now being reported. I think he was implying that some of the other keepers should have gotten a chance in the friendlies to gain experience, which makes sense. Don't think he was actually having a go at Shay

Spot on. If Kiely had been given more starts in friendlies and less important games we would probably have had a more reliable replacement while Given was injured.
Keane is always going to be a bit of a bogey man for many people who are only too anxious to take his comments out of context like with the whole anti-Cork rigmarole.
Keane has it in for the FAI and their way of doing things (which is understandable) and the criticism of the decision to play Shay whenever he was available would seem to be aimed at them (like his anti-Cork jibe).
Still, he could have made this clearer and avoided all the controversy but I get the impression he enjoys stirring things up a bit.

NeilMcD
27/03/2007, 11:48 AM
Bill while you may think that, there are many who hang on his every word and the amount of drooling done by those on Newstalk last week and other radio shows was over the top. I think he was a great player for us who has some very good views on the game and will probably be a top manager. Is he a nice guy, I don't care, does he say some stupid and potentially nasty things I would think yes.

To be honest the anti keane OTT and the pro Keane OTT are as bad as each other and to me seem like 2 sides of the same coin.

cheifo
27/03/2007, 11:48 AM
how he still has supporters in this country amazes me[/QUOTE]

:D :D :D
Come on now Eighties Mullet stop fudging the issue and tell us what you really think.Oh boy how I love the right to free speech.

Lim till i die
27/03/2007, 11:53 AM
Wow theres fair comment:rolleyes:

Sure was on my part at least

He doesnt have supporters he just has people who think he was a great player for Ireland. Same as Shay

Bill while you may think that, there are many who hang on his every word and the amount of drooling done by those on Newstalk last week and other radio shows was over the top. I think he was a great player for us who has some very good views on the game and will probably be a top manager. Is he a nice guy, I don't care, does he say some stupid and potentially nasty things I would think yes.

What he said ;)

KopKiller
27/03/2007, 12:29 PM
:mad: I usually like Roy Keane, he says it like it is, he was the best player we ever had and he is looking like a decent manager too BUT ... i think his comments towards ireland this week have been ill timed, both these games are crucial for the countries football team to qualify and i think he should have waited until these were finished to voice his opinion, no one, including roy keane is bigger than Ireland qualifying for the major tournaments...

in any case some of what he has said is hot air and doesnt hold, i mean if he thinks Liam Miller is such a great player then why doesnt he play him for sunderland? even without carlos edwards and graham kavanagh he still hasnt started miller. I wont even respond to the Shay Given slur (sorry, just have...)

I think if he does have anything constructive to say on such a crucial week, he should keep it to himself.

Collyontour
27/03/2007, 12:41 PM
This is poor form from Roy. Having a go at players whose commitment can be questioned is one thing but Shay has been class for us for a long time.

Dricky
27/03/2007, 12:56 PM
crazy stuff this, the press just want him as the manager and are jumping on every op to make it look like his comments are headlines, rather then what they are, comments.... Shay given doesn't pick himself, I can see the point of blooding another keeper or two.

As for the miller comments etc, well I'd do the same as I'd expect the comments to spur on players who read them and what affect does that have....... they play better, who gains from this..... Sunderland.

mountains and molehills

The Sun ...... so it must be true and accurate.

Qwerty
27/03/2007, 12:56 PM
I wasn't aware than Shay Given had the priviledge of picking himself :rolleyes:

dr_peepee
27/03/2007, 1:04 PM
The press stiring it up... Pay no attention. It was a much a tip of the hat to shays commitment as much as a derogatory comment on previous managers. Hard to argue with the logic though.

Just seen McGrath on Sky so no doubt his words will be twisted too.

Torn-Ado
27/03/2007, 1:10 PM
I think a lot of what Keane has said lately was fairly true but I don not accept this comment about Given.

Given has played his heart out for Ireland and got us out of jail many times. Keane knows this better than most and knows that Given is completely loyal. So why the snide remarks?

I'm a bit disillussioned at his agenda here.

OneRedArmy
27/03/2007, 1:11 PM
The press stiring it up... Pay no attention. It was a much a tip of the hat to shays commitment as much as a derogatory comment on previous managers. Hard to argue with the logic though.

Just seen McGrath on Sky so no doubt his words will be twisted too.When seen in the context of Keane's regular picking and choosing of internationals and fabrication of non-existant injuries it becomes a pathetic attempt for Keane to try to justify his own attitude to the international team as the correct one.

KopKiller
27/03/2007, 1:13 PM
McGraths words will be twisted alright ... because he will have necked a load of gargle before the interview

sorry Paul

cavan_fan
27/03/2007, 1:21 PM
Now he's having a go at Shay Given! Bad chocie Roy. Given is the only player who is beyond criticism for the last 10 years. If he was an outfield player he would be considered in the same breath as Roy (certainly on the basis of his performances for Ireland). And some people think Roy should be Ireland manager!

cheifo
27/03/2007, 1:23 PM

To be honest the anti keane OTT and the pro Keane OTT are as bad as each other and to me seem like 2 sides of the same coin.

Proably the most accurate post on Roy and in fairness I am one of the ones who can go OTT in condemning him.After his performance against Portugal in the WC qualifiers I was telling every non Irish person how he was the most complete player in the world.At the time it use to drive me crazy that the likes of Beckham and Owen would dominate voting for World/European player
awards when Roy was a far superior player.We dont have to go into the details but since then I think he has made it impossible for a lot of Irish fans to respect him.His quotes on Shay for example were not taken out of context.
They were personal and nasty and served no purpose whatsoever.All in all though its a sad state of affairs.I am trying to think of another example where a talented footballer has fallen out with a lot of his compatriots and I cant think of one.(effenberg maybe?)

NeilMcD
27/03/2007, 1:24 PM
McGraths words will be twisted alright ... because he will have necked a load of gargle before the interview

sorry Paul

Why type it if you are sorry for it. I would urge a deletion here by the poster.

harpskid
27/03/2007, 1:26 PM
Printed in The Sun, said by Keane. :rolleyes:

Concentrate on Sunderland Roy and quit giving off about committed Irish players - what's Shay meant to do if picked. 'no sorry don't want to play.' :mad:

youngirish
27/03/2007, 2:11 PM
Why type it if you are sorry for it. I would urge a deletion here by the poster.

Lighten up it's a joke. I'd say you're a barrel of laughs to be out with on the gargle.

NeilMcD
27/03/2007, 2:54 PM
Why thank you, take that as a compliment.

cavan_fan
27/03/2007, 3:08 PM
Printed in The Sun, said by Keane. :rolleyes:

Concentrate on Sunderland Roy and quit giving off about committed Irish players - what's Shay meant to do if picked. 'no sorry don't want to play.' :mad:

He could always storm off home to walk the dog

dr_peepee
27/03/2007, 3:43 PM
When seen in the context of Keane's regular picking and choosing of internationals and fabrication of non-existant injuries it becomes a pathetic attempt for Keane to try to justify his own attitude to the international team as the correct one.

May well be true... But it's still not the venomous attack on shay Given the tabloids would like us to believe.

The Legend
27/03/2007, 5:47 PM
Here is another theory about Keane... he may have said this knowing it would probably please his sunderland supporters to knock a newcastle player down.

Up to this point, i've somewhat supported Keane for his rants, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back....

beautifulrock
27/03/2007, 5:53 PM
Roy needs to keep it shut, its not helping anyone including himself at this stage

John83
27/03/2007, 6:38 PM
Keane's talking ****e again. I'm proud to support a player like Given.

Jerry The Saint
27/03/2007, 6:51 PM
Mr. Given, you have the floor...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0327/given.html?rss

'I've not seen them, although I've got wind of them.

'You don't want to comment on every single person who has made a negative remark, or a positive one. Personally, I'm just focused on tomorrow's game.'

'Just a few years back, you got a bit of stick if you didn't play for your country.

'Now you're getting stick if you play. It's a no-win situation. But I'll be as proud tomorrow in making my 80th cap as I was when I won my first against Russia in 1996.

'It's personal pride. I want to make as many caps as I can for myself. If that's wrong then so be it.'

'It's an honour to equal Packie's record,' added Given. 'I'm very proud to play for my country, so I'm delighted to make 80 caps, and hopefully I'll make a few after as well.

'But I don't like to set too many targets and look too far ahead, especially after this season as I've had a lot of injuries.

'You don't know what's around the corner in football. You are one challenge or one knock away from maybe never playing again.

'You just look to the next game, and that next game is tomorrow. I'm not looking too far past that to be honest. I'd love to make as many caps as I could, and wherever that takes me then great.'

Captain Tinrib
27/03/2007, 6:59 PM
Roy, u walked out on us when we most needed you, your a great leader on the pitch, Off it, your quite stupid actually.

danonion
27/03/2007, 7:06 PM
Keane had his moments but Given has been brilliant for Ireland, and will win 120 caps +

Murpholini
27/03/2007, 7:45 PM
Keane is Bang out of order. Will be interesting to see if funderland get promoted how keen roy will be to release his players for friendlies. Most managers don't like their players to play any more than 45-60 minutes in these friendlies so i think roy will live to regret this outburst.

tricky_colour
27/03/2007, 8:11 PM
Didn't Dean Kiely retire because he knew he was wasting his time and would never get a game? Can hardly blame him really. Keane has a point in the friendlies are a change to give experience to other players. All the critism about Keane missing friendlies was rather pointless. We should have been using those friendlies to prepare for the time when he retired rather than using them to question his commitment.
Similar thing applies with Carsley. There was no logic in playing Keane in friendlies at all late in his career.