PDA

View Full Version : Palestine

jebus
26/03/2007, 7:57 PM
Myself and a friend are looking at heading to Palestine in the summer for around six weeks. Was wondering if anyone on here has ever been in the region, what security would you be looking at, how pricey is things etc.?

Monkfish
08/04/2007, 6:05 PM
Myself and a friend are looking at heading to Palestine in the summer for around six weeks. Was wondering if anyone on here has ever been in the region, what security would you be looking at, how pricey is things etc.?

No-one? everyone on here is sane then! in terms of security might i suggest a AK-47, the M-16 is a fantastic rifle but requiers a lot more maintanence. If you are going for one might i suggest a newer Russian model, better than the cheaper ex-soviet bloc issues. Having said that im sure the charm of the old East German model will probably catch your eye! Happy hunting!

P.S. Any chance of hopping the wall and getting us an Israeli flag and pin-badge??

citizenerased
10/04/2007, 11:16 AM
what would ya want an israeli flag for?? scum

Dodge
10/04/2007, 11:47 AM
relax lads.

Note that you will not be allowed in most countries in the area if you have an israeli visa stamped in your passport

jebus
10/04/2007, 11:55 AM
A friend was over there in the last few weeks for a film festival, and although she isn't political in any sense she has said that she came away very much pro-Palestine. She found the way the Israelis treated their group (machine guns pointed in the windows at checkpoints, being stopped and searched regularly) to be very heavy-handed. When I replied that they probably have to be that way, given the tension in the region she pointed out that the Palestinians were friendly, to the point of being overly friendly.

I guess I'll find out for myself come August/September if this trip goes ahead

Peadar
10/04/2007, 1:23 PM
Well having been in Israel and being treated really well by everyone, I'm going to make the bold suggestion that there are two sides to every story.

I would certainly like to visit most countries in the Middle East but the threat of kidnapping would make me slow to consider a trip anytime soon.

I'm sure that most Palestinian people are decent but it only takes one nut job to spoil your holiday, with a backpack bomb. I've used up a few too many lives in that respect already.

Dodge
10/04/2007, 1:31 PM
A friend of mine who's fairly active in left wing ppolitics, said Israel is one of the nicest places he's even been. HIs main reason for going to that are was to visit palestine. He's still hugely pro-Palestine but enjoyed his time there

NY Hoop
10/04/2007, 4:29 PM
Dont listen to anybody who hasnt been. Plenty of armchair experts who'll tell you not to go blah blah. See for yourself. As already mentioned there are two sides to every story.

Was over for the Ireland game a couple of years ago. From Tel Aviv we spent a few days in Jerusalem. From there we went to Ramallah to see Arafat's tomb and Bethlehem.

Everybody we met was sound and friendly. No problem crossing over to Palestine. Soldiers just waved us through after a brief look at the passports no gun pointing or trouble at all.

Felt sorry for the Palestinians though. Very poor area with little prospects for the people.

Jerusalem is an experience. The difference between the old town and the rest is incredible. Know one lad who spent time in Jordan before the Ireland game and again the locals were very friendly because of the scarcity of tourists there.

Cheap enough overall. Wouldnt spend 6 weeks there however. 6 days is enough.

Think of Palestine as southill with sunshine:D

KOH

Dodge
10/04/2007, 4:34 PM
Dont listen to anybody who hasnt been.

Should be a general rule of thumb tbh

Monkfish
10/04/2007, 6:02 PM
what would ya want an israeli flag for?? scum

Cause i collect them??? oh and to wrap myself in at night ,safe and secure that any terrorist who saw it would run away in terror, and probably fire a rocket over the fence before running away again, i get called scum for this?? a bit strong!

citizenerased
12/04/2007, 2:11 PM
not you, the israelis, apologies for the miscommunication

Monkfish
12/04/2007, 2:41 PM
No bother!

Spudd
16/04/2007, 1:03 PM
No-one? everyone on here is sane then! in terms of security might i suggest a AK-47, the M-16 is a fantastic rifle but requiers a lot more maintanence. If you are going for one might i suggest a newer Russian model, better than the cheaper ex-soviet bloc issues. Having said that im sure the charm of the old East German model will probably catch your eye! Happy hunting!

P.S. Any chance of hopping the wall and getting us an Israeli flag and pin-badge??

First ever post that made me laugh out loud! :D :D :D

Closed Account 2
16/04/2007, 11:48 PM
Jerusalem is an experience. The difference between the old town and the rest is incredible. Know one lad who spent time in Jordan before the Ireland game and again the locals were very friendly because of the scarcity of tourists there.

Think we all probably know someone who's been there and done that... Not sure I'd go there now though... what with Peter Andre having recently visited those parts.

;) :D