PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing for el games

Rory H
26/03/2007, 4:03 PM
slightly in honour of tom whats the biggest sacrifice you made for an el game

i was looking at my timetable for the final college exams and the day of the final exam we play pats away. the exam is 3 hours and starts at 2. id have to leave after 2 hours to make the bus to richmond and its probably what ill have to do.its on my list of goals for this year to go to the place so i have to make the sacrifice?

whats the biggest sacrifice you've made. missed a relatives wedding? ran someone over to be there for the kick off? [etc etc]

ciaraa
26/03/2007, 4:10 PM
slightly in honour of tom whats the biggest sacrifice you made for an el game

i was looking at my timetable for the final college exams and the day of the final exam we play pats away. the exam is 3 hours and starts at 2. id have to leave after 2 hours to make the bus to richmond and its probably what ill have to do.its on my list of goals for this year to go to the place so i have to make the sacrifice?

whats the biggest sacrifice you've made. missed a relatives wedding? ran someone over to be there for the kick off? [etc etc]

:( Paying money to watch the Drogs these days is sacrifice enough.

Rory H
26/03/2007, 4:17 PM
its cool,ive pretty much passed that subject already so it'll be grand

half_full
26/03/2007, 4:18 PM
You sir, are an idiot

how is he?

fair play Rory H, if there were more fans like you the eL would be better for it:)

Bald Student
26/03/2007, 4:20 PM
Shelbourne fans could well have sacrificed their club for a few years of success.

Red&White
26/03/2007, 4:26 PM
I was in a quandry last year when I was supposed to be best man at my best friend's wedding on the day Derry played Gretna second leg in UEFA Cup. In the weeks before the first leg I knew I was going to miss one of the biggest European nights in our history and would have to suffer the tension through text messages. The only thing that would make it somewhat better would be if something ridiculous happened like we raked up a big enough score away from home to make the second leg largely meaningless. But that would never happen...

As it was I managed to work a couple of jokes about missing the game into my speech. :rolleyes:

Maynard
26/03/2007, 4:31 PM
Certainly sacrificed the better part of may sanity, in what is a (relatively speaking) short amount of time...

Occassionally felt like it was a deal worth doing...other times, not so much:o

BohsPartisan
26/03/2007, 4:32 PM
Went to a league cup group game against Home Farm when I was dying with a dose. Was off work with a cert and all but braved the cold and wet to see a game I can't remember the score of. There was only a couple of hundred there.

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2007, 4:37 PM
I was at every home Harps game last season. That was penance enough. it seemed like it rained every game, but at the end of the day its a strange feelin if you havnt been to a game at the weekend.
as a few others suggested, we have sacrificed our sanity but, its all worth it.:D

dcfcsteve
26/03/2007, 4:39 PM
I once threw a virgin off the city walls in Derry, in full expectation that we'd win another treble as a result

Unfortunately - I was to later find out that at the same time Ollie Byrne had sold not only his club, the league, his players and his health, but also his soul to the devil so he could savour one last trophy before being reduced to First Division re-election fodder.

Hence my sacrifice was a waste of time (and it had taken me ages to find a virgin form Donegal...!)

Moral of the story - don't go messing with the dark arts people...

BohsPartisan
26/03/2007, 4:40 PM
Of course I should have mentioned that going to watch Bohs last season was a sacrifice in itself.

RonnieB
26/03/2007, 4:41 PM
Watching Longford this year will be an ongoing sacrifice of my fading sanity.

Jaime
26/03/2007, 4:45 PM
Hopped on Bus Eireann to Athlone for the Tuesday night League Cup game last season knowing full well I was going to miss the entire first half of the game; got there during the second half, game was already wrapped up. Managed to get a lift home though so could have been worse.

Lim till i die
26/03/2007, 4:53 PM
I went to Dundalk once

passerrby
26/03/2007, 4:54 PM
spent a night in galway once oh the shame

Dodge
26/03/2007, 5:03 PM
Broke up with a girlfriend. On May 1st 1998 Pats were going for league title in Kilkenny. Girl I was seeing at the time was having a birthday party that same day. I'd like to point out now that her actual Birthday was on the Tuesday, April 28th but her party was being held on the Friday. I was giving the cliché "its them or me" ultimatum...

I had one of the best nights of my life in Kilkenny that night

RonnieB
26/03/2007, 6:51 PM
Football > silly parties.

Ash
26/03/2007, 7:28 PM
I quit a job in Dublin and moved back to Athlone and took up a college
course a few seasons ago cos I couldn't get home in time for a lot of
home games on Friday nights when I was in Dublin.

Risteard
26/03/2007, 8:15 PM
Broke up with a girlfriend. On May 1st 1998 Pats were going for league title in Kilkenny. Girl I was seeing at the time was having a birthday party that same day. I'd like to point out now that her actual Birthday was on the Tuesday, April 28th but her party was being held on the Friday. I was giving the cliché "its them or me" ultimatum...

Fair plé.
Although I'm presuming things were already on the rocks.
Ultimatum me balls.

Anto McC
26/03/2007, 9:05 PM
Sure you're all great aren't you. Pointless thread :rolleyes:

Battery Rover
26/03/2007, 9:24 PM
Agreeing to move to Limerick from Athlone and now having to put up with a 70 mile journey for all the home matches and God knows how far for away matches and don't drive. But should make all the matches other than Dundalk due to Thursday being their match nights.

Also sacrifising the whole season so I can get a recording of as many matches as possible on a camcorder to keep exiles and people unable to travel informed of goals, incidents etc. But will be worth it as long as it attracts a few more fans to us.

Risteard
26/03/2007, 9:28 PM
Sure you're all great aren't you. Pointless thread :rolleyes:

You starting something?
Come on.
I'll take ya.
:p

Anto McC
26/03/2007, 9:32 PM
:D :D

blackholesun
26/03/2007, 9:56 PM
missed a free bar at work christmas parties to attend Rovers game a few times ...

bhs

Raheny Red
26/03/2007, 10:36 PM
missed a free bar at work christmas parties to attend Rovers game a few times ...

bhs

You're hardcore!

:p

eamo1
26/03/2007, 11:20 PM
of not missing a galway utd home league game for just about 10 seasons,no bull.ive the programs to prove it.i live very near the ground anyway so its easy to get to it.to keep that run going though i sacrificed alot,went down when i sick as a dog and should have been in bed,told them i was "sick" in dunnes with the only known cure being a trip to terryland park,and put off a few weekend breaks till the summer.but when summer soccer started it made it nearly impossible to keep that run going because of holidays etc.in the end last season i chose a girl ahead of galway utd and missed not 1 but 2 games last season because of it.i got the pi** pulled out of me in the match program both times for it.

Maz
27/03/2007, 2:38 PM
Went to Liechtenstein as my family sat around my grandmothers bed after doctors told us she wouldn't live to see the week out. I went and she is still living!!

Red&White
27/03/2007, 4:40 PM
Went to Liechtenstein as my family sat around my grandmothers bed after doctors told us she wouldn't live to see the week out. I went and she is still living!!

How gutted would you have been if you'd stayed?

Doctor: (Smiling) "I think she's going to pull through."

Cue everyone smiling and hugging one another.

Maz: "Oh for fcuk's sake." (Kicks support machine)

Red4Eva
27/03/2007, 5:04 PM
i did the same as rory. left an 2&1/2 hr exam after an hour so i cud get bus home for rovers v galway league cup game in 2003. we won & i got 47% in the exam.

i won't work a job that means i miss a rovers game home or away either. haven't had a job since july 2005 :o

DonalE
27/03/2007, 5:17 PM
i did the same as rory. left an 2&1/2 hr exam after an hour so i cud get bus home for rovers v galway league cup game in 2003. we won & i got 47% in the exam.

i won't work a job that means i miss a rovers game home or away either. haven't had a job since july 2005 :o

That's cos you're lazy, you've got broadband, sky digital and a nintendo wii, and only partly due to not wanting to miss a game! Next week though right? :p

Red4Eva
27/03/2007, 5:22 PM
That's cos you're lazy, you've got broadband, sky digital and a nintendo wii, and only partly due to not wanting to miss a game! Next week though right? :p

i only have broadband & digital at the weekends but ur right about everything else

Da Real Rover
27/03/2007, 7:41 PM

Thats the same birthday as me, wow, small world.

I skipped alot of school for rovers, but no major sacrafice really. The only one was last season, at the semi final replay in derry cause it was on halloween night, 1 of the best nights of the year. But was well worth it, what craic we had up there.

Maz
28/03/2007, 2:55 PM
How gutted would you have been if you'd stayed?

Doctor: (Smiling) "I think she's going to pull through."

Cue everyone smiling and hugging one another.

Maz: "Oh for fcuk's sake." (Kicks support machine)

Who are ya telling!! She is a rock that woman. Gonna be 95 in August. I had a talk with her before I left, something along the lines, if she went before I left, Id be going with her....she laughed bless her and told my mam to give me money for my trip! :D

Risteard
28/03/2007, 3:01 PM
Having grandmothers is very lucrative in a horrible way.
I always turn down my nans money only to come home and find 20 or 50 notes in my jacket.
She's like the anti-Artful Dodger

lofty9
28/03/2007, 3:58 PM
Thumbed a lift from Belfast to Dundalk to watch a cup match one Thursday night. Couldn't get a lift back, walked to Newry and got soaked. Went to a pub got ****ed and slept in the street. Got a bus early in the morning to Belfast.

EDIT, Oh aye, too wet for a taxi to take me!!

Philly
29/03/2007, 4:42 PM
Got a warning at work a fe days ago for ditching work an hour early to see the KCFC-Monaghan game.

Beat if it was a GAA game they wouldn't have given a toss!

steno
29/03/2007, 4:46 PM
You so crazy!

Raheny Red
29/03/2007, 7:18 PM
The biggest sacrifice I ever heard of was a certain Reds man missing a court appearance, which was only the small matter of the custody of his child :eek: , in order to see the Reds play ( I think it was Cork away!)

Cluba06
29/03/2007, 7:50 PM
Went to see ireland play once, MDL football is better than it!!

Risteard
29/03/2007, 10:50 PM
Ha.
Good one robbiedrogs, I've told work.
"I think i'll give Friday evening a miss there.
I got a bit of bad personal news last night, ya know. i don't think i'd be up to it."
Mope around the office then for a week afterwards. You get the added bonus of people offering to make you tea all the time.

CollegeTillIDie
30/03/2007, 6:50 AM
I was at every home Harps game last season. That was penance enough. it seemed like it rained every game, but at the end of the day its a strange feelin if you havnt been to a game at the weekend.
as a few others suggested, we have sacrificed our sanity but, its all worth it.:D

You live in the Frozen North West and you are surprised it rained every day you went to a game?;)

CollegeTillIDie
30/03/2007, 6:51 AM
Ha.
Good one robbiedrogs, I've told work.
"I think i'll give Friday evening a miss there.
I got a bit of bad personal news last night, ya know. i don't think i'd be up to it."
Mope around the office then for a week afterwards. You get the added bonus of people offering to make you tea all the time.

Baldrick.... that's what I call a cunning plan !:D

Dodge
30/03/2007, 6:57 AM
The biggest sacrifice I ever heard of was a certain Reds man missing a court appearance, which was only the small matter of the custody of his child :eek: , in order to see the Reds play ( I think it was Cork away!)

Thats the winner for me

Raheny Red
31/03/2007, 8:18 PM
Thats the winner for me

What's funnier is the fact it was the child of Paul Keegan's sister :D