PDA

View Full Version : Tonights Setanta cup previews

kdjaC
26/03/2007, 11:05 AM
Drogheda United v Glentoran team news

With Dan Connor sustaining a knee injury in Friday's 3-2 win against Galway United, Finn Mikko Vilmunen makes his first start in goal for injury-ravaged holders Drogheda United.

Under-17 keeper Cian Byrne is promoted to the squad.

Winger Richie Baker (ankle) has joined Graham Gartland, Steven Gray, James Keddy and Shane Barrett on the injury list, while the suspended Paul Keegan is in the Netherlands with the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad.

Glentoran remain without the injured Colin Nixon and Darren Lockhart, while defender Cullen Feeney and striker Tim McCann undergo late fitness tests.

Derry City v Linfield team news

'I think some of the players are trying too hard,' said Derry City boss Pat Fenlon after successive defeats to Linfield and St Pat's.

'I want them to relax and play the game. I don't want them to see it as a chore.'

Dave Rogers comes back in at left-back for Sean Hargan (ankle), while central defender Ken Oman (hamstring) and midfielder Barry Molloy (shin) are very doubtful starters.

Group 1 leaders Linfield have both defender Steven Douglas and midfielder Michael Gault available after suspension.

Portadown v Cork City team news

Cork City are poised to travel to Portadown with a squad consisting of just 14 players.

Gareth Farrelly and Colin Healy remain ineligible under FIFA rules, while injuries rule out Liam Kearney (ankle), Sean Kelly (dead leg), Colin O'Brien (hamstring) and Brian O'Callaghan (groin).

Winger Billy Woods, who is part-time, is unable to travel due to work commitments. Midfielder Brendan Daly is promoted from the reserves.

Bottom of the table Portadown have midfielder Michael Collins available despite him serving a four-match Irish League ban.

St Patrick's Athletic v Dungannon Swifts team news
Monday, 26 March 2007 09:49

In-form St Patrick's Athletic can clinch a semi-final berth with two games to spare with victory at Richmond Park.

'We want to win to make sure we qualify,' said left-back John Frost.

'Obviously, we want to top the group as well, but we just want to nail down getting out of it first.'

Boss John McDonnell has a full squad to pick from, with confidence sky high after Friday's 1-0 league win in Derry.

Dungannon, impressive in last week's 2-2 draw with St. Pat's, add midfielder Shane McCabe to their squad.

We near full fitness only Quigley 1 a doubt so Paisley shou....actually its JMC i have no clue who is going to play. If we win we tru. We should win but they played well last week and if they can do that away will cause problems.

3 home games in a row :)

kdjac

Peadar
26/03/2007, 11:28 AM
We're also missing Darren Murphy, who had his leg sliced open by a high boot from a Ports player.
I'd settle for 0-1.

Red&White
26/03/2007, 11:31 AM
Obviously we need a win to get ourselves in good position in the group and the result is always the most important thing, but if ever the performance was nearly as significant, it's tonight. We really need to put on a good display after the last two showings.

Dodge
26/03/2007, 12:15 PM
Fancy easy wins for Cork, Pats and Drogs.

The other game will be tight

OneRedArmy
26/03/2007, 8:11 PM
Portadown and Dungannon signed the Setanta Cup's death warrant tonight.

Feel sorry (almost) for Linfield but until the IL can find 4 decent sides the competition is a farce.

JC_GUFC
26/03/2007, 8:32 PM
Agreed. I struggle to believe that Portadown take this competition seriously. They've only once ever had a good result in this tournament and that was a meaningless game when they won in Cork.

Losing 7-0 at home to any team is a complete and utter joke, they can't be that bad.

There are 4 games in progress at the moment and the aggregate score is 16-0 to the eircom League clubs. :(

Risteard
26/03/2007, 8:37 PM
It doesn't mean its dead but the 4 teams from each side needs to be re-thought.
Linfield are obviously up to standard.
Maybe 2 or 3 teams from each side qualify automatically and then you could have 2 or 4 clubs from each league fighting for the remaining places.
Net result, 5 or 6eL teams v 2 or 3 IL teams.

OneRedArmy
26/03/2007, 8:39 PM
Anyone have access to the stats of the IL teams over the past 3 tournaments when you take out Linfield.

I suspect its dire.

Maybe Linfield would like to join the EL and play regular competitive football?

Mr A
26/03/2007, 8:41 PM
But it's the cross-border element that makes it interesting- and with the move back towards a 10 team premier you'd then be looking at some clubs playing each other a crazy number of times.

Risteard
26/03/2007, 8:43 PM
Okay, maybe 5 v 3.
I genuinely can't remember but Glentorans record isn't that bad, is it?

Risteard
26/03/2007, 8:53 PM
Those goals tonight could come in handy.
Beat Brazil (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=56326)in Inchicore and we'll probably top the group.
Easier said than done I suppose.

kdjaC
26/03/2007, 9:03 PM
Swifts for about 110 minutes were the best team we played this season, then we just blew them away with some stunning football and goals.

Kirbys and Brennans being the highlights , shoulda scored about 10 in the 2nd half Maguire 1 on 1 :confused: and missed twice :confused:

kdjac

Mr A
26/03/2007, 9:11 PM
I genuinely can't remember but Glentorans record isn't that bad, is it?

From All Blue on ILF:
Portadown's Setanta Record: Played 14 Won 1
Glentoran's Setanta Record: Played 14 Won 2

Risteard
26/03/2007, 9:14 PM
I'd say there's about 5 draws aswell.
It'd be very sad to lose the Setanta.
Hopefully they can in some way make it 5 v 3 or something and the IL teams can learn from their errors and more importantly off the field eg. summer season.

pineapple stu
26/03/2007, 9:37 PM
Summary of all teams' performances to date...

Club P W D L F A Pts Comps %
L'field 17 9 6 2 29 15 33 3 65%
Cork 16 9 3 4 28 10 30 3 63%
Drogs 12 7 2 3 12 6 23 2 64%
Shels 12 4 4 4 12 11 16 2 44%
Derry 10 2 6 2 9 8 12 2 40%
Pat's 4 3 1 0 13 3 10 1 83%
Ports 14 1 6 7 11 31 9 3 21%
Glens 14 2 2 10 12 32 8 3 19%
Swifts 10 1 4 5 7 16 7 2 23%
L'ford 4 2 0 2 4 4 6 1 50%

I'd say if you exclude games against your own league, you'd worsen the NI teams' records.

kdjaC
26/03/2007, 9:40 PM
Unbeaten in the SSC.

:D

kdjac

Graemerz
26/03/2007, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately Portadown have hit a really poor patch in the League which seems to have affected them in the Setanta Cup too. Very embarrassing result today from them. Dungannon aren't nearly good enough to be in the competition, they are currently mid-table in our League. Cliftonville are a much better team although probably by the time the Setanta begins next year they'll return to normality and once again be a mid-table team. Glens bar a good start to the league campaign have been found out. Poor team, that rely on Hamilton way too much.

Jerry The Saint
26/03/2007, 10:08 PM
Those goals tonight could come in handy.
Beat Brazil (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=56326)in Inchicore and we'll probably top the group.
Easier said than done I suppose.

And this is what we sing.........
We're Not Brazil, We Beat Teams From Northern Ireland.

Have Cork officially started yet, or was tonight the last of their pre-season friendlies? We can go ahead and start counting matches from now on, yeah:confused:

kdjaC
26/03/2007, 10:13 PM
Have Cork officially started yet, or was tonight the last of their pre-season friendlies? We can go ahead and start counting matches from now on, yeah:confused:

Think so but afaik Flynn only has 6 games left this season and Roy is booked on a flight about julyish.

kdjac

Risteard
26/03/2007, 10:14 PM
Ya, fire away.

SwiftsSupporter
26/03/2007, 10:30 PM
Swifts for about 110 minutes were the best team we played this season, then we just blew them away with some stunning football and goals.

Kirbys and Brennans being the highlights , shoulda scored about 10 in the 2nd half Maguire 1 on 1 :confused: and missed twice :confused:

kdjac

Unfotunatley injuries have taken thee tole. Really this seasons been a big disappointment and we've been the 2nd worst team for inuries in our league (behind Loughgall). I think the main problem is that our sides are shattered with playing so many games by this stage where as the EL teams are fully fit and this happened last year also.

pineapple stu
26/03/2007, 10:31 PM
Losing 7-0 at home to any team is a complete and utter joke, they can't be that bad.
Just realised that they had Kevin Pressman in nets as well - there's a fall for you!

CharlesThompson
26/03/2007, 11:18 PM
Unfotunatley injuries have taken thee tole. Really this seasons been a big disappointment and we've been the 2nd worst team for inuries in our league (behind Loughgall). I think the main problem is that our sides are shattered with playing so many games by this stage where as the EL teams are fully fit and this happened last year also.

To be honest with you that sounds like an excuse. The sides from down south can hardly be as match fit as the sides up north at this stage of the season. There have only been 2 or 3 league games played at this point yet the teams can go out and put 7 goals and 5 goals against sides who should be just tipping over in training at this time, being that they are absolutely match fit following three quarters of a football season.

I honestly cannot believe that if the Setanta Cup was swapped around to July or August for instance that the results would improve from an Irish League perspective.

Poor Student
26/03/2007, 11:20 PM
I honestly cannot believe that if the Setanta Cup was swapped around to July or August for instance that the results would improve from an Irish League perspective.

If Shels v Glens in the CL is anything to go by, our clubs would be tearing them apart.

charliesboots
26/03/2007, 11:36 PM
Fancy easy wins for Cork, Pats and Drogs.

The other game will be tight

good shout

Dodge
27/03/2007, 12:16 AM
as ever charlie ;)

Risteard
27/03/2007, 12:43 AM
Journalism even worse than the Echo.
Setanta Cup Round-up:It was a night to forget for a hapless Portadown side who were thumped 7-0 at home by Cork City in the latest round round of Setanta Cup matches. (http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/10108440?view=EircomnetSport)The win means last year's beaten finalists have booked their place in the semi-finals of the cross border competition.

Denis Behan, John Flynn, Colin Healy, Gareth Farrelly all got on the scoresheeet but the free-for-all at Shamrock Park was spear-headed by Roy O'Donovan's hat-trick.

blueman1886
27/03/2007, 1:50 AM
Ports,dungannon and glentoran are ****e,cork are a good team as are drogs and derry.

you should be well fit at this stage and dungannon etc should be well tired as theve played a full season.

We Linfield,would beat any of yas. Bring it on.

LeviathanNI
27/03/2007, 5:17 AM
I think it is all about the attitude and perception that some clubs are giving the Setanta. The first year, the Glens had just pipped us for the League, and that made the Setanta more important to us.. and winning it endeared the competition to us. I think it is a brilliant competition, with some amazing potential/prospects for football on both sides of the border. I also think the Ports and the Glens have wakened up, and will take the competition more seriously next season.

Tonights game, to me, was what the AI Cup was all about.. it was a good, competitive match, and both teams played with a hunger and desire to progress.. as the competiton goes on, and becomes more of a permanent fixture, I believe it will become a major competiton.. to me it is third in importance behind the league and Irish Cup.

David
27/03/2007, 6:38 AM
I think it is all about the attitude and perception that some clubs are giving the Setanta. The first year, the Glens had just pipped us for the League, and that made the Setanta more important to us.. and winning it endeared the competition to us. I think it is a brilliant competition, with some amazing potential/prospects for football on both sides of the border. I also think the Ports and the Glens have wakened up, and will take the competition more seriously next season.

Tonights game, to me, was what the AI Cup was all about.. it was a good, competitive match, and both teams played with a hunger and desire to progress.. as the competiton goes on, and becomes more of a permanent fixture, I believe it will become a major competiton.. to me it is third in importance behind the league and Irish Cup.

Given a choice between Setanta and Irish Cup it would be Setanta every day of the week for me.

Graemerz
27/03/2007, 8:26 AM
Given a choice between Setanta and Irish Cup it would be Setanta every day of the week for me.

Same here. Irish Cup is only important to me if it's our only route to Europe and the Setanta Cup.

LeviathanNI
27/03/2007, 10:09 AM
It is the historic importance of the IC that makes it important to me.. the big day out, a packed stadium.. the knowledge that every team in the country has played from the start. The Setanta is important now, and I think the point I was trying to put across was that the fact it takes precedence over the League cup and CAS already, is a testiment to how popular it is with our support.
I would be very happy to just play in the League, Irish Cup and Setanta (along with the Euro comps obviously as well). Leave the League cup and CAS for our fringe players and Swifts to compete in.

I was just thinking there.. Setanta are sponsoring this for another 4 years, right? We need (and I mean both leagues) to make this work in order to make it continue after that.. it would be a shame to see it go down the pan.

Dodge
27/03/2007, 10:30 AM
I was just thinking there.. Setanta are sponsoring this for another 4 years, right? We need (and I mean both leagues) to make this work in order to make it continue after that.. it would be a shame to see it go down the pan.

Agree totally with that. I'd like to see them move games to Saturday nights

monkey magic
27/03/2007, 11:14 AM
interesting thing about corks game is that according to reports colin healey and gareth farrely played... makes ya wonder the influence they had on city last nite. and in fairness to the il, looking at the table, dungannon wont be in the setanta next season and ports are by no means guaranteed their place. personally id be happy to see some new blood forn the il in the competition next year. ports and swifts appear to be two teams in decline after a few years at the top

Bald Student
27/03/2007, 1:17 PM
Portadown and Dungannon signed the Setanta Cup's death warrant tonight.

Feel sorry (almost) for Linfield but until the IL can find 4 decent sides the competition is a farce.That'll be balanced out a bit by the first division winners in the south playing off with the league cup winners for a spot.

NY Hoop
27/03/2007, 2:24 PM
Why do Pats outfield players not have McDowells on their jerseys?

KOH

Dodge
27/03/2007, 2:30 PM
We've no sponsor at the moment. Smart failed to pay so Special K kicked them out. As contracts are involved we couldn't get replacement in time for the first game so Pats decided to stick mcDowells on the front of the away kit for the first couple of setanta games (home to Ports, away to Cork). We had stpatsfc.com on the home jersey for the game v Longford, and nothing on it since. Not sure what the craic was in Derry but they obviously just left it on the keepers jersey. Looks amateurish at best

kdjaC
27/03/2007, 5:33 PM
A jersey without a sponsor? Its what every fan who buys them dreams off.

I want a home and an away and will pay stupid money to get them :D

kdjac

holidaysong
27/03/2007, 5:46 PM
Your away jersey looks enough like a Barcelona one without having to drop the sponsor!

Jerry The Saint
27/03/2007, 6:08 PM
Your away jersey looks enough like a Barcelona one without having to drop the sponsor!

We turned down UNICEF. Cheap b@stards:mad:

holidaysong
27/03/2007, 6:10 PM
We turned down UNICEF. Cheap b@stards:mad:

Barcelona - Sell outs!

Raheny Red
27/03/2007, 9:23 PM
A jersey without a sponsor? Its what every fan who buys them dreams off.

Indeed - be happy :D