PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday

Rory H
26/03/2007, 9:51 AM
do pubs close for the all of good friday. i cant seem to remember

Peadar
26/03/2007, 9:54 AM
Yes, Good Friday is one of two days where public houses are not open.
I remember getting the Dublin/Cork train before and getting tanked up from the bar on it.

Rory H
26/03/2007, 9:58 AM
Yes, Good Friday is one of two days where public houses are not open.
I remember getting the Dublin/Cork train before and getting tanked up from the bar on it.

must have cost you a bit!

are off licences open?

Peadar
26/03/2007, 10:00 AM
must have cost you a bit!

are off licences open?

No, they can't open either.
The train was exempt for some reason.
Think some hotel bars are open to residents too.

Lim till i die
26/03/2007, 10:03 AM
No, they can't open either.
The train was exempt for some reason.

Some clubhouses are allowed open aren't they :confused:

I've vague memories of our crowds in Pike being multiplied by about fifty anytime we were at home good friday

Peadar
26/03/2007, 10:06 AM
Some clubhouses are allowed open aren't they :confused:

Members clubs probably can.

tetsujin1979
26/03/2007, 11:03 AM
Same with airport bars AFAIR

Dodge
26/03/2007, 12:02 PM
Yep, cue panic buying of beer in supermarkets on the Thursday

Rory H
26/03/2007, 12:06 PM

just because it wont be available for one day:rolleyes: :p

was planning a gathering in a pub before leaving on the bus to dalymount but i guess thats out the window now...ah well

pineapple stu
26/03/2007, 12:17 PM
Yep. The Montrose is always packed on Good Friday because there's an international hockey tournament in UCD, and all the players are back drinking away. But the staff are quite particular about not serving us...:(

Bluebeard
26/03/2007, 12:18 PM
just because it wont be available for one day:rolleyes: :p
Largely because it is a day off without drink. It seems that most people do not plan beyond the next ten minutes

Ireland would be a disaster if there was a drought, even if we heard about it before hand.

Or a famine...

Peadar
26/03/2007, 12:22 PM
I'm all for freedom of choice and don't like to see the church dictate state laws but it's a sad reflection on us when we can't go without drink for one day.
I remember working in Burger King when I was in college and people would fall in the door, absolutely hammered!
It was like as if they drank more because the pubs were closed.

Rory H
26/03/2007, 12:39 PM
It was like as if they drank more because the pubs were closed.

ya why is that...its very strange. is it because some people dont work that day...easter holidays in colleges and schools too possibly.

John83
26/03/2007, 1:11 PM
Yep. The Montrose is always packed on Good Friday because there's an international hockey tournament in UCD, and all the players are back drinking away. But the staff are quite particular about not serving us...:(
Which just sends everyone back to Bald "Beer Baron of Belfield" Student.

IsMiseSean
26/03/2007, 1:44 PM
It will be good for us :D

Schumi
26/03/2007, 2:07 PM
I make a point of drinking, eating meat and calling Jesus a **** on good Friday and this year will be no different.

BohsPartisan
26/03/2007, 2:14 PM
I make a point of drinking, eating meat and calling Jesus a **** on good Friday and this year will be no different.

I'm a veggie but I often wondered if I should eat meat on good Friday! :D

Peadar
26/03/2007, 2:35 PM
Did your religion make you a vegetarian?

Anyway Schumi, I don't like your comment about Jesus. It's hardly his fault that so many people worship him. Maybe if you said that followers of Jesus are ***** or something instead?
Although, I must admit to being full of admiration for people who are willing to make the ultimate sarcrifice and refrain from eating meat for a whole day. So much sin is washed away by this selfless act and the world is a better place, for 24 hours.
I'll weep with shame as I tuck into a mixed grill for breakfast, steak sandwich for lunch and leg of lamb for dinner.

Schumi
26/03/2007, 2:39 PM
Maybe if you said that followers of Jesus are ***** or something instead?I'd get done for abusing other forum members then. :D

the 12 th man
26/03/2007, 3:40 PM
But the staff are quite particular about not serving us...:(

You couldn't get a loan of a few hockey sticks to blend in?:)

Neish
26/03/2007, 3:51 PM
Good friday is good for away trips, get some(ie 20) tins the night before and book a bus that will let you drink on board. Great craic(well apart form the 20 **** stops). Harps have Limerick away on good friday may be a bit far for my liking, on the other hand there ain't much else to do

jebus
26/03/2007, 3:58 PM
Maybe if you said that followers of Jesus are ***** or something instead?

I'd get done for abusing other forum members then. :D

As it is you're a typo away from me kicking off....:D

Peadar
26/03/2007, 4:02 PM
As it is you're a typo away from me kicking off....:D

I spotted that earlier.
There's a Jeebus registered too. :D

BohsPartisan
26/03/2007, 4:24 PM
Did your religion make you a vegetarian?

Don't really get what you mean here.
Been a veggie for 15 years now and it has nothing to do with religion or politics. Just a lifestyle choice.

pineapple stu
26/03/2007, 5:07 PM
You couldn't get a loan of a few hockey sticks to blend in?:)
After however many years it is of drinking there after games, I think we're recognised at this stage!

Peadar
27/03/2007, 11:25 AM
Don't really get what you mean here.

Not eating meat on Good Friday is aligned with religion, not a lifestyle choice. (Well, other than the religion you choose.)

You eating meat, on that day, doesn't tie in with the custom.

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 12:05 PM
You eating meat, on that day, doesn't tie in with the custom.

Was only messing. I don't really eat meat on that day. But if I were to it (and it would be a pretty retarded thing to do because you'd only be doing it to p'ss off a god you don't believe in) it wouldn't be because of my religion but because of my lack of it.
However what you asked me was did my religion make me a vegetarian?

Peadar
27/03/2007, 12:16 PM
However what you asked me was did my religion make me a vegetarian?

It was a rhetorical question, incorrectly punctuated!

Lionel Ritchie
27/03/2007, 1:41 PM
Is good friday this week or next week?

Dodge
27/03/2007, 1:50 PM
April 6th

Red&White
27/03/2007, 1:56 PM

Off licences have their highest sales of the year the day before Good Friday. They actually sell a lot more than they would have on a normal Thurs and Friday.

Raheny Red
27/03/2007, 4:17 PM
Good friday is good for away trips, get some(ie 20) tins the night before and book a bus that will let you drink on board. Great craic(well apart form the 20 **** stops). Harps have Limerick away on good friday may be a bit far for my liking, on the other hand there ain't much else to do

At least you don't have Athlone at home :rolleyes: :(

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 4:24 PM
At least you don't have Athlone at home :rolleyes: :(

Yeah its going to be chaotic around the city on Thursday night with Shels fans asking strangers to go into the offie for them! :D

holidaysong
27/03/2007, 4:44 PM
Yeah its going to be chaotic around the city on Thursday night with Shels fans asking strangers to go into the offie for them! :D

Hehe. :D:D