PDA

View Full Version : Wexford Youths V Limerick 37 - 01/04/07

Pages : 1 [2]

Piltownpossy
02/04/2007, 7:30 AM
Anyone there trell me if the wind was as bad as the Cobh game?

I hope Newcastle aint going to be one of those places that has a perennial wind - it'll make for poor games all season :-(

Thunder-WYFC
02/04/2007, 9:23 AM
It was bad but not as bad as the Cobh game!

ForzaWexford
02/04/2007, 10:13 AM
The one on the tannoy was Noleen Redmond, the solicitor from Enniscorthy. And yeah, music wasn't the best!

Judging by the official attendance of 2130 at the CObh game I'd say there were around 1800 there yesterday, maybe 1900.

I thought we were done for when they scored but fair play to Marty, super strike!

Lim till i die
03/04/2007, 11:10 AM
I thought we were done for when they scored but fair play to Marty, super strike!

Well if the defence are going to stand off five yards and the keepers not going to dive then I fancy my chances too :mad:

Seriously lads we were all disgusted that we're not giving ye thumpings tbh. Absolutely woeful, woeful side. Three agricultural midfielders, in front of three panicky centre halfs, absolutely nothing up front. No offence lads but the general consensus was one of anger on the way home that we didn't thrash the likes of what was put in front of us.

Also a couple of observations about your ground:

1. Easily the coldest ground in Ireland. BUILD A STAND ON THE FAR SIDE MICK :eek:

2. Crowd are eerily quiet. Could be a lot of gah heads sprinkled among them who wont stick around for the long haul unless your successful

3. Your stewards are *******

4. The parking situation is unreal :eek:

5. The wind is killing any chance of ever seeing a good game of football at that ground

Anyway fairplay for grafting a point against a patently superior footballing side. You'll genuinely do alright this year as there actually aren't that many teams in the division with enough guile to get through the seven man blanket defence you use. I'm just disgusted that Limerick aren't one of them.....

wexman
03/04/2007, 11:28 AM
i have 2 agree wit u we were defending for our lives ten behind the ball. that is not football. brutal 2 watch & we wont get a crowd if we keep playing like that.

passinginterest
03/04/2007, 12:02 PM
Lim til I die you have some valid points and I'm glad that most of your anger is directed towards your own players.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for this Wexford side to be the worst team in the league this season, they are inexperienced, young and it's a steep learning curve. The one thing they do have, however, and in abundance is desire and commitment, and that's why they've taken so many points already.

The squad is also suffering from injuries at this early stage and many of the more experience and better players in certain positions have been missing. They will improve all season and they may even begin to develop into a truly dangerous side if they can get everyone fit and playing well.

For the moment those attending the games are supporting the concept of the club and the promise that it hols for the future. The people attending are certainly football people who will continue to come to games (the game last Sunday kicked off at the same time as the two GAA teams).

The crowd lacks leadership at the moment in terms of making noise and supporting the team. Very few people going to the games have experienced live senior football before. Once a supporters club is established and the regulars start to recognise each other the atmosphere will come.

The wind is a real disaster and a terrible pity, hopefully it won't be too windy for most of the summer games. It does seem that there will need to be a fully enclosed stadium to try to negate the problem, which unfortunately will be a long time coming.

All in all I think the future looks bright for Wexford Youths FC and I for one will continue to give them my support. (I'll never be an Ultra attending every game, but I'll certainly join the supporters club and wear the merchandise with immense pride)

Come on you boys in black,
Come on you boys in black,
Come on you boys,
Come on you boys in black.
(It's easy, it's catchy, it's got irony, and even a little double entendre)

dublin_owl
03/04/2007, 12:14 PM
Well if the defence are going to stand off five yards and the keepers not going to dive then I fancy my chances too :mad:

Seriously lads we were all disgusted that we're not giving ye thumpings tbh. Absolutely woeful, woeful side. Three agricultural midfielders, in front of three panicky centre halfs, absolutely nothing up front. No offence lads but the general consensus was one of anger on the way home that we didn't thrash the likes of what was put in front of us.

1. Easily the coldest ground in Ireland. BUILD A STAND ON THE FAR SIDE MICK :eek:

2. Crowd are eerily quiet. Could be a lot of gah heads sprinkled among them who wont stick around for the long haul unless your successful

5. The wind is killing any chance of ever seeing a good game of football at that ground

Anyway fairplay for grafting a point against a patently superior footballing side. You'll genuinely do alright this year as there actually aren't that many teams in the division with enough guile to get through the seven man blanket defence you use. I'm just disgusted that Limerick aren't one of them.....

I've only been to the Monaghan and Cobh games sof far but what I saw at those games didn't amount to a seven man blanket defence. But if it takes blanket defending for some games in their first season to get points on the board then so bloody what! Lets remember that very few Youths players have ever played at this level, and our manager has never managed at this level. Of course we're gonna be rough around the edges now and probably for quite a while.

In my opinion to have only lost once in our first league games is excellent and even if we lose every game from now til the end of the season, we will get it right.

As for some wind breakers, I hope something gets sorted, I know I break wind regularly!

I think passinginterest has put this far more eloquently than I did, just a pity I hadn't seen his post before I posted!

Up the Yoofs!

ForzaWexford
03/04/2007, 12:26 PM
I don't think Limerick were a "patently superior side" at all. Fair enough they have some experience, a good back four and a few handy looking players - but they didn't create much at all on Sunday, and rarely looked like scoring.

As passinginterest said, we can't really expect the Youths to be a good footballing side yet. Most of these fellas were local junior players who would never have dreamt of playing eL until about 3 months ago. It's a big step up and it'll be a while yet before the lads start realising their full potential. It's been a fairly positive start to the season all the same, and I'd be fairly confident of getting a result against Kildare next weekend.

You're right about the ground though. Impressive and all as it is it can be very windy, and the parking arrangements leave a lot to be desired.

wexman
03/04/2007, 1:35 PM
these lads are not up 2 el standard never were never will b these are players who have come from junior teams & thats were they belong. in all our matches we have defended for our lives most of these players coulnt get on our oscar trainer team & now they are el players y is that eh? any team can defend with ten behind the ball whats wallace going to do next? build a wall on the goal line?? this is not football lads all our games look like a game of attackers v defenders we have a few el standard players in hawkins d millar and johny flynn the rest are average :mad:

Piltownpossy
03/04/2007, 2:40 PM
Cool the jets lads! Tis early days.

Sure, they aren't yet up to scratch but give 'em time. 4 games in and you're slating them already. THey can do without that kind of 'support'

As Mick said, day one, the supporters will have to be patient, its an amateur team but they won't be found wanting in terms of effort, commitment and honesty, and from what I've seen so far he's right.

Onwards and upwards!

Mon de Yoots!

Tazskool
03/04/2007, 3:03 PM
Rome was not built in a day...

They have damn well to P4 W1 D2 L1 in the league!!! and then they get a stupid 2 games in 2 days and the 2nd game is against a Premier Club... 3-0 is a very respectable result since most Prem teams get scored like this against every week!!!

Give the lads FULL support :) I AM !!

brokenstar
03/04/2007, 3:18 PM
To single out particular players for praise and call the rest of the squad average at such an early stage is nothing short of ridiculous. How can it be told Hawkins is el standard when he hasn't even a game under his belt? The bigger picture needs to be looked at here. Instant success was never on the cards and those looking for that might want to come back in a few years. I agree with Piltown, the lads can do without that kind of 'support'.

Mick knows these lads, he knows what they are capable of. He knows they have the heart, spirit and passion to stand up and play in this league. Obviously Pat Dolan shares these views, and this is a man who knows what he's talking about!

The true fans will all filter out eventually and we'll see who's prepared to give our players the lift they need when they need it

Thunder-WYFC
03/04/2007, 3:53 PM
I'd be up for a supportes club and I know alot of other people who would be-that generates singing fans,banners,flags and if allowed flares[which ill be purchasing for the evening k/o]=better atmosphere!

wexfordseagull
03/04/2007, 8:14 PM
i have e-mailed the club about a supporters club,hope to hear from them in a positive manner,i would help to get one going if others were interested,as for our team i think there is a few lads who look comfortable making the step up,of course our team will only be as good as our forwards,who need help,but thats why the best cost a fortune,and command the best money,if we had the likes of bruton and sullivan of waterford we know we would compete with more confidence knowing if we concede we can get goals back,up the all blacks!

Thunder-WYFC
03/04/2007, 8:54 PM
http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/3.jpg

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/6.jpg

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/1.jpg

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/2.jpg

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/4.jpg

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/photos/5.jpg

Fairkop
06/04/2007, 11:02 PM

Anyway fairplay for grafting a point against a patently superior footballing side. You'll genuinely do alright this year as there actually aren't that many teams in the division with enough guile to get through the seven man blanket defence you use. I'm just disgusted that Limerick aren't one of them.....it pains me to point out to you wexford blacks that we do have lims37 fans with short memories,we know all about a 7man blanket defence..we had a season full of it when legend m.kerley was manager.points 1 o 5 all applied to us at one stage or another over the last few seasons,and most ironic of all is that we dont have a home of our own but yet still proceed to slag off yer great set up.....sad.

fc hammer
06/04/2007, 11:41 PM
it pains me to point out to you wexford blacks that we do have lims37 fans with short memories,we know all about a 7man blanket defence..we had a season full of it when legend m.kerley was manager.points 1 o 5 all applied to us at one stage or another over the last few seasons,and most ironic of all is that we dont have a home of our own but yet still proceed to slag off yer great set up.....sad.

W.T.F are you on about ! Nobody is slagging anybody , just stating fact's. If you were a true Limerick supporter you would'nt be on here spouting such crap. By the way we do have a home of our own , if you were there tonight you would have known that. I think you're the one with the memory loss ... Roll on Dundalk , might see you there .. I don't think so some how. :)

gael353
08/04/2007, 6:24 PM
it pains me to point out to you wexford blacks that we do have lims37 fans with short memories,we know all about a 7man blanket defence..we had a season full of it when legend m.kerley was manager.points 1 o 5 all applied to us at one stage or another over the last few seasons,and most ironic of all is that we dont have a home of our own but yet still proceed to slag off yer great set up.....sad.

it pains you to point out? it pains me to read your ****e! Kerley was in charge for two years. The first year we played the best football seen in the first division for many a year and some would say even to this day. The second year with no money or players we still tried to play football and got hammered for it as our players wernt good enough! LTID isnt slagging Wexford hes giving his establised view on what he sees down there. Limited funds, with a small squad and we're second in the table, and nearly one million going to be put into the ground all down to Limerick 37 and its merry fans being there.

Tazskool
08/04/2007, 6:36 PM
ok peeps.. lets just agree to disagree.. we all have our own views and soforth and as people we should respect them :)

Also I dont want this thread turning into a handbag or testicular fortitute fight