PDA

View Full Version : The Board

atfconline
13/01/2003, 2:41 PM
Would you like to see the Board of Athlone Town FC replaced?

Ash
13/01/2003, 3:08 PM
Before answering the poll people should ask who would replace
the current board went. Would they?

At the AGM before this season kicked off there wasnt any
voulnteers. In fact, there were so few people who bothered
to turn up is was a disgrace.

Also bear in mind thet there is 2 parts to boards (in general) ...
an executive committee who front the cash and then ordinary
board members.

Usually its the men with the money who have all the say and
the others are just there to make up the numbers.
There are also the members who only make an appearence when
the newspaper camera is there.
(PS - Im in no way implying thats what happens in ATFC but in
general that is what happens)

So just something to ponder before asying Get rid of them all!

atfconline
13/01/2003, 3:58 PM
Just to make it clear, I'm not saying "Get rid of them all!" I do think it is a legitimate question though.

I was at the AGM too, and there was a member at the top table who's picture is in Frank Lynch's book along with the League Cup. It has been awhile since we've won the League Cup! He was also the only member at the table who didn't say one word throughout the AGM. During the nominations, there was someone proposed, but he declined to take up the position until certian members stepped down and didn't just let themsleves be elected year on year.

As for the small crowd, someone asked Paddy was the AGM advertised in the papers and the reply was we gave the legal requirements of 21 days [I think] was given. Then when he was asked if it appeared in the previous weeks paper directly before the AGM, he tried to joke it off saying oh sure I thought the Westmeath would have included it for us this week. Kevin O'Neill and Eddie Keenan were in attendance. I remember seeing the AGM notice in the Westmeath Independent. It was as Paddy said, the very minimum, and it appeared in the job section. I can't remember seeing it in the Club Notes.

They have done good things. The Youths are playing in the DDSL and going strong. The deal with Bus Eireann is very good. The plans for the stadium are obviously good. The books presented at the AGM showed a huge jump in sponsorship which was excellent considering the season we were going through. We have a sponsor lined up already for next season. They have gone all-local.

My own views on what I would like to see happen with the board is, I would like to see it slimmed down. I don't think everybody on it, needs to be on it. They could serve the Club just as well as volunteers. I would also like to see more involvement of the ADSL. Show that they are serious about developing a youth structure. I don't just mean poach players, but somehow for the two entities to come together and maybe have an ADSL selection at each age-group playing under the name of Athlone Town FC in the DDSL or wherever.

Hego
13/01/2003, 5:57 PM
what would all of ye know about running a club notting at all, every club wants good people in it, not people like you that are thinking of getting rid of them, what would athlone people think of that
and orther clubs in ireland think, that there owen town wants new people in the club they would not like that at all.
the people that make athlone football club what it is, are good people.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :mad: :( :( :mad:

Oh No
13/01/2003, 10:08 PM
.............we hear honestly what the plans are regarding new stadium and ongoing strategy.

The management board need to break their silence.