PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

nui-harp
24/03/2007, 10:02 PM
In all fairness, if Ireland were to come up against them.....as much as it pains me.....i think they'd be beaten! Its a sad state of affairs but full credit has to be given to Sanchez.

tblade
24/03/2007, 10:13 PM
Sad but true. They haven't better players but they're a hell of a lot better organized.

half_full
24/03/2007, 10:26 PM
lads the last time i checked The North was still in Ireland and Northern Ireland were still an Irish representitive team, cant you be happy for them? in a few years we could have 1 league and 1 international team in this country, would it pain you to see a 32 county Irish team do well :rolleyes:

back on topic of course they would beat us their unbelievably well organised, and every player actually wants to play and play with pride at that

Hibs4Ever
28/03/2007, 11:48 PM
lads the last time i checked The North was still in Ireland and Northern Ireland were still an Irish representitive team, cant you be happy for them? in a few years we could have 1 league and 1 international team in this country, would it pain you to see a 32 county Irish team do well :rolleyes:

back on topic of course they would beat us their unbelievably well organised, and every player actually wants to play and play with pride at that

No!!!

cheifo
29/03/2007, 12:15 AM
Congragulations to NI posters.Doing incredibly well and another great result.
If I was an NI supporter I would worship Healey but if I was a Leeds supporter
I would hate him:) .

ifk101
29/03/2007, 6:57 AM
Fair play to Northern Ireland - a great result for them. Just reading through the Swedish papers this morning and they are bitterly disappointed with Sweden's performance but that's just sour grapes IMO and it takes away from the fact that Northern Ireland were fully deserving of their win.

Just on a side note; the Swedish goalie Issaksson had said in the build up to the match that all of Healy's previous goals for Northern Ireland were lucky shots. I'd suppose his face is covered in egg this morning.

Raheny Red
29/03/2007, 8:18 AM
I have said it before and I'll say it again, their fans are heroes, for instance, last night they were still in the ground over 30 minutes after full time chanting!

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 8:31 AM

Keep dreaming pal.

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 8:35 AM
I have said it before and I'll say it again, their fans are heroes, for instance, last night they were still in the ground over 30 minutes after full time chanting!

Even during our darkest days of Sammy Mac when we havent scored in a very long time(too much pain to pull the facts out) we where still singing our hearts out, although in smaller numbers.

Unfortunatly now that we have become a good side it is harder for the regular NI supporter that supported the NI team before they became respectable because of the bandwagon jumpers.

Although we haven't been awarded best supporters in Europe for nothing:cool:

We aren't a great side with great players. But we have more heart than any other country and we have shown that when we have played countries of a far higher standard.

I still don't expect to qualify, still a long way to go but we are at least in with a shout this time round.

OwlsFan
29/03/2007, 8:52 AM
Two class finishes by Healy. Has he played in the Premiership?

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 9:02 AM
Two class finishes by Healy. Has he played in the Premiership?

He played a single game for Man Utd in the Premiership.

But he has mostly played in the lower leagues.

Looks like he could be on his way to Ibrox. I think that would be a good move for him, he would be playing regular and would be scoring regular. he would also win a few things and play in Europe.

If he was going to sign for a Premiership club, he would be playing in a high standard, but would he be at a club that could achieve any silverwear?(Not that Rangers are winning anything lol)

Jeebus
29/03/2007, 9:54 AM
He played a single game for Man Utd in the Premiership.

But he has mostly played in the lower leagues.

Looks like he could be on his way to Ibrox. I think that would be a good move for him, he would be playing regular and would be scoring regular. he would also win a few things and play in Europe.

If he was going to sign for a Premiership club, he would be playing in a high standard, but would he be at a club that could achieve any silverwear?(Not that Rangers are winning anything lol)

Not if their fans keep doing the red hand of Ulster salute *cough*, and posting their singing exploits on youtube:D

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 10:02 AM
Not if their fans keep doing the red hand of Ulster salute *cough*, and posting their singing exploits on youtube:D

:D

They do have a few knuckle draggers. Just like other teams, but most other teams supporters arent stupid enough to make such antics public :D

Although I dont think the Red Hand salute is the problem. It is the sectarian singing that is the problem. Glasgow Rangers explained to UEFA and they have accepted the explination

Jeebus
29/03/2007, 10:19 AM

They do have a few knuckle draggers. Just like other teams, but most other teams supporters arent stupid enough to make such antics public

Although I dont think the Red Hand salute is the problem. It is the sectarian singing that is the problem. Glasgow Rangers explained to UEFA and they have accepted the explination

Ah come on now, dont tell me you go along with the whole red hand of ulster salute explanation??? There must have been alot of ulster fans in germany in the early 20th century so:D

I never heard of it before until they started calling it that. And how come the norn iron fans dont partake in this salute???

P.S. Its good to see another former Sligo Rovers manager doing well, even if it is with "the wee six":D

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 10:54 AM
Ah come on now, dont tell me you go along with the whole red hand of ulster salute explanation??? There must have been alot of ulster fans in germany in the early 20th century so:D

I never heard of it before until they started calling it that. And how come the norn iron fans dont partake in this salute???

P.S. Its good to see another former Sligo Rovers manager doing well, even if it is with "the wee six":D

To be honest, I'm not a Ranger man, I've never been to Ibrox and I have no interest in Scottish Football. So I don't know what their different gestures are about.

I do know that you cannot be a Britishman and salute the Nazis at the same time. That's why I would have believed there explanation.

But I think we are starting to tread on thin ice here. Because there has been incidents from both the Old firm that cannot be tolerated or accepted, so I wouldn't be that quick to jump on either team.

Oh and the Sligo Rovers remark - It's went right over my head lol.

Dublin12
29/03/2007, 11:32 AM

What part of Ulster is Glasgow in again:D

jebus
29/03/2007, 11:34 AM
Congragulations to NI posters.Doing incredibly well and another great result.
If I was an NI supporter I would worship Healey but if I was a Leeds supporter
I would hate him:) .

As a Sheffield Wednesday supporter I love the guy! :D

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 12:01 PM
What part of Ulster is Glasgow in again:D

Thats the thing about Rangers and Celtic.

You have Glasgow Rangers - Ulstermen wannabees
You have Glasgow Celtic - Irish wannabees.

They should just accept they are bloody Scottish.

I've no time for either team, both teams with a large portion of there support drivin by sectarianism.

I live in Belfast, Shankill Road. When there is trouble with Ardoyne just say, all you see is the Ardoyne ones bedecked in Celtic gear and the Shankill ones bedecked in Rangers gear.

Anyway, this is going completely off topic.

Well done Northern Ireland. You have done us proud again.

cheifo
29/03/2007, 12:16 PM
I believe your two next games are against Liechenstein and Latvia.Win those two and your on 19 points.The "bigger" teams are going to start feeling the pressure so you never know.Your seeding for the WC will improve as well.

DaveyCakes
29/03/2007, 1:30 PM
I do know that you cannot be a Britishman and salute the Nazis at the same time. That's why I would have believed there explanation.

Why couldn't a British person salute the Nazis? You've obviously never seen a picture of one of Oswald Moseley's rallies.

Bluebeard
29/03/2007, 1:41 PM
I believe your two next games are against Liechenstein and Latvia.Win those two and your on 19 points.The "bigger" teams are going to start feeling the pressure so you never know.Your seeding for the WC will improve as well.

On a slightly related topic, I see that Liechtenstein won against Latvia (qualifiers last time out:eek: ) last night, thereby picking up their first points in the European Nations Championship (or whatever it's called nowadays) since they drew with us in 1995!

Back on Topic, well done, Norn Iron, show them foreign types what we are essentially genetically identically made of!

lofty9
29/03/2007, 1:45 PM
Oh and the Sligo Rovers remark - It's went right over my head lol.

Sanchez was manager of Sligo a number of years ago.

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 2:30 PM
Sanchez was manager of Sligo a number of years ago.

I learn something new every day.

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 2:32 PM

If we could win them two games. I would be happy with picking up the odd draw with the rest.

I think if we could accumalate 22 points, we would be in a very strong position.

lofty9
29/03/2007, 2:51 PM
If we could win them two games. I would be happy with picking up the odd draw with the rest.

I think if we could accumalate 22 points, we would be in a very strong position.

I've just seen your sig. Ya ******!! :p Good one though. See you in the final.

Steve Bruce
29/03/2007, 3:19 PM
I've just seen your sig. Ya ******!! :p Good one though. See you in the final.

Let's hope so. And Lets hope that the Linfield MC don't screw us supporters again and turn thousands away like they did last time at Windsor.

Also Billy Fenlon hasn't beaten Linfield once yet as manager, so I'd more than welcome a final with Fenlons Derry City team.:D

half_full
29/03/2007, 3:53 PM
No!!!
:rolleyes:

yep 100% agree with you, best fans supporting an international team bar none:ball:

SwiftsSupporter
29/03/2007, 4:45 PM
Just on a side note; the Swedish goalie Issaksson had said in the build up to the match that all of Healy's previous goals for Northern Ireland were lucky shots. I'd suppose his face is covered in egg this morning.

27 lucky goals - love it:D He probably watched the weekend game where his 3 goals were tap ins but hardly lucky goals (apart from the first). Healy's a legend and just fits into our side very well and just knows how to put our chances away.

reder
29/03/2007, 7:01 PM
Yep NI are really on a roll, great for the fans. However Mr. Sanchez has never been a favourite of mine since 1988, and I will say no more about that............

By the looks of things you seem to have gotten your act together fan wise.
We still have our prize twits unfortunately. One Celtic fan (celtic shirt on) had the neck to turn around and call us muppets last night, he didnt do that on sat cos he wasnt there. He was prompt told where to go and he behaved himself then.

SwiftsSupporter
29/03/2007, 8:12 PM
Yep NI are really on a roll, great for the fans. However Mr. Sanchez has never been a favourite of mine since 1988, and I will say no more about that............

By the looks of things you seem to have gotten your act together fan wise.
We still have our prize twits unfortunately. One Celtic fan (celtic shirt on) had the neck to turn around and call us muppets last night, he didnt do that on sat cos he wasnt there. He was prompt told where to go and he behaved himself then.

TBH our situation was never as bad as what it was made out to be and anyway in international football you'll always get some tit in the crowd sometime anyway but we have limited those chances.

shakermaker1982
29/03/2007, 9:31 PM
well done N Iron. Fair play to you and I hope ye qualify (along with us of course). Two world class finishes from a guy not given a proper run in a Leeds side?! Crazy world. Whatever Lawrie Sanchez is feeding em up there then we all need some of that!!! England, Spain and now Sweden are all major scalps and credit has to be given.

Neish
29/03/2007, 10:07 PM
Fair play to Northern Ireland and I hope they qualify. Although I do think if it wasn't for Healy they wouldn't be anywhere near the position their in at present.

crc
29/03/2007, 10:39 PM
Although I do think if it wasn't for Healy they wouldn't be anywhere near the position their in at present.
No team can run on just one player. Healy is clearly the key player, but the main thing NI have going for them is that they play well as a team.

Can you imagine where the'd be if they hadn't lost to flippin Iceland? :eek:

SwiftsSupporter
29/03/2007, 10:46 PM
Healy sticks them away. Gillespie makes alot of them and Davis and Johnson knock it about in the middle with Brunt swinging the corners in and a back 4 better than any other I have seen at soaking up pressure. Seems simple but try playing against it. There is more goals in this side but that will come through time.

Poor Student
29/03/2007, 10:48 PM
Can we keep this thread strictly football related? You should all be well aware of the rules by now. One more post out of line and the thread will be locked.

crc
29/03/2007, 10:51 PM
"Are you watching Denis Wise? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_6500000/newsid_6506700?redirect=6506765.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1)" :D

see's it
30/03/2007, 8:05 AM
he was at the game the other night

big p from owc
30/03/2007, 8:08 PM
I had a great time at the Lichtenstien game last week & an even better time on Wed night, as usual the stadium was pumping from well before KO & it stayed that way throughout the 90 mins, it's been mentioned by some previous posters on this thread that our supporter's help the team immensly and i believe this is true , we truly are the twelfth man. :)

This is a post from a member of the our wee country website that i think sums up the special atmosphere being generated at our home games.

"I was in the viewing lounge at Windsor Park and the swedish press were in there too. Got chatting to a guy from OFFSIDE magazine in Sweden...Supposedly like what we used to get with MATCH and SHOOT!?

I asked him what the genuine thought with Northern Ireland was in Sweden? Did they view us as a serious threat? Were they confident etc? And he reckoned that the Swedish press and Sports journalists have done nothing but play tapes of our England, Spain victories and show our fans going mad! He said he interviewed Elmander and Kallstrom pre game ie an hour before the match and they were really sh*tting themselves because of the reputation our stadium had back home in Sweden!

He said it was obvious, because off-the-ball players were standing looking round them with their jaws on the ground...and he added that these are players that play in the San Siro, Stadio Olimpico etc every week.

In final he said the reputation was just what they expected and that we were a hard team to beat at home but he conceded that he'd love us to do well and that it was a kick up the backside that the egotistical swedish team needed".

A great insight i thought. :)

& this is a quote from Jess from Sweden..

"First of all...Congratulations on the victory and also thank you for making us Swedes feel so welcome in Belfast!

I was in Belfast for a few days, and I had a cracking time. There were many hours of nervousness, a few hours of disappointment and many many hours of excitement and joy. I always knew it was going to be hard to play you lot at Windsor Park, but going to Belfast I was confident in atleast getting a draw...but little did I know! When I first came into the stadium I was a little disappointed with how far away from the pitch the stand was, and also how far away your stands were from where us Swedes were "seated". However, I forgot about that as soon as you lot started singing. You guys created one of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at a football game (and I have been around quite a lot!). Even though I sang my heart out with my fellow countrymen I doubt you heard us at all...yous were miles away! But trust me...we did sing! We have a fairly good away support, but when it comes to playing at home it's absolutely rubbish! I know already that when you come over to Sweden I will be ashamed of our lack of support...so you better sing for both of us!

I was gutted after the game...but after entering a bar I cannot remember the name of, in Shaftsbury Square, I found myself to soon have forgotten about the defeat and join in on the celebrations.

I'm ranting now so once again congrats and thanks, and also welcome to Sweden, I hope many many of yous make it over...

...You're not Brazil You're Northern Ireland...and of that you should be proud!"

Also , well done to the South for getting back into a challengable position in the group. :)

Both teams in the Euro's at the expense of the English would be great for football on this island.

Onwards & upwards.

Lionel Ritchie
31/03/2007, 7:57 AM
"Are you watching Denis Wise? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_6500000/newsid_6506700?redirect=6506765.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1)" :D

He finally tucked a winner away for us last night right at the death ...that after a game where he played alright but couldn't seem to hit a barn from inside it. He even "saved" a Douglas shot with his arse at one stage.:D

Earned his wages for a finish though.

SwiftsSupporter
31/03/2007, 10:55 PM
so whats the story with healy then is he moving on to pastures new in the summer?cant see him staying at leeds if doomsday does occur

I don't think he knows himself but the thing about Leeds is Bates is more of a business man. If he gets a few mil for Healy I'd say he'd take it but no doubt there'll be offers.

OwlsFan
12/04/2007, 4:23 PM
I wonder what the odds are now on Healy going to Fulham at the end of the season?

gspain
13/04/2007, 8:28 AM
I wonder what the odds are now on Healy going to Fulham at the end of the season?

Done deal I assume if Lawrie stays unless a bigger club come sin.

Lionel Ritchie
14/04/2007, 8:49 AM
Well ...Walter Smith and Ian Durrant tell it differently. They were at the Sweden game -and it sure as sh1t wasn't Tony Capaldi they were there to have a look at.

I'm a Leeds supporter and whatever happens next season I think he will and should go. His goal return for Leeds is actually some way short of remarkable and they should cash in while he's getting headlines

EalingGreen
14/04/2007, 11:21 AM
Well ...Walter Smith and Ian Durrant tell it differently. They were at the Sweden game -and it sure as sh1t wasn't Tony Capaldi they were there to have a look at.

I'm a Leeds supporter and whatever happens next season I think he will and should go. His goal return for Leeds is actually some way short of remarkable and they should cash in while he's getting headlines

Seeing as Rangers appear to have a decent enough finisher in Kris Boyd, I wouldn't think signing Healy is quite such a priority as finding a replacement for Prso for next season.
The Daily Record had it that Smith and Durrant were actually at Windsor to watch Elmander (took the Swedish goal very nicely, as it happens); I don't know anything about Elmander, but Healy isn't really suited to the Prso role.

The other thing about Healy is that he needs the team built around him in order to get the best from his phenomenal finishing ability. Sammy McIlroy never understood this, often playing him as a lone striker, ahead of a defensive line-up. Blackwell doesn't appear to have understood this, either, seeing as he kept playing him on the wing.

After a promising start for NI (8 goals in his first 16 games), Healy got dragged down with the rest under the dreary, defensive tactics of McIlroy, such that he (and the team!) failed to score for the next 13 games.

When Lawrie came in, he immediately prioritised lack of goals as his No.1 problem, with Healy as the No.1 (only!) solution. He looked for a big guy to play alongside him, eventually settling on James Quinn of Peterborough(!), picked two wingers (Gillsepie and Elliott) and encouraged Davis and the rest of the midfielders to get the ball through early to Healy at every opportunity. Since Sanchez took over what was a thoroughly demoralised team, Healy has scored 21 goals in 27 matches.

Imo, there is absolutely no doubt that whatever his other limitations, Healy is a finisher of the very highest class. However, I understand why leading Premiership clubs would be unwilling to build a whole team around one player, no matter how good.

But that argument could hardly be said to apply to Leeds United in their recent state, a situation which Dennis Wise may at last be coming round to. When he attended the NI v Sweden match, he cannot have failed to notice just how effective Healy can be against even top defences, or if he did, the entire crowd singing "Are you watching Dennis Wise?" as the goals flew in might have given him a clue!

I don't think it coincidence that Wise recently handed the captaincy to Healy for the rest of the season; my guess is that if Leeds avoid the drop, Wise will do what he can to keep him next season. Who knows, maybe Leeds fans will at last see what NI fans have seen over the last three years and more.

That said, if a lesser Premiership club like e.g. Wigan or Sheffield United, or even a Blackburn or a Middlesbro came in for him, Healy would have to take it. Which is why Fulham is a good bet; it seems clear from his Press Conference that the job is there for Sanchez, assuming he keeps them up.
In which case, he'll no doubt be allocated some money for re-building, even if it's not going to be megabucks. In such a case, £3 million-odd for Healy, a proven finisher whom he knows inside out, would be an obvious move.

And if Sheffield United go down, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanchez go for Gillespie, along with Aaron Hughes from Villa.

P.S. You're quite correct that Smith and Durrant weren't at Windsor to watch Capaldi. Tony wasn't playing...;)

Lionel Ritchie
16/04/2007, 8:52 AM
P.S. You're quite correct that Smith and Durrant weren't at Windsor to watch Capaldi. Tony wasn't playing...;)

:o

...thought of that later.

OwlsFan
12/05/2007, 8:36 AM

It will be interesting to see does this now come to pass. If Leicester don't keep Nigel Worthington, he could be the next Norn Iron manager.

dublin_owl
12/05/2007, 3:41 PM
Great minds think along the same lines owlsfan! :)

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=60429

OwlsFan
01/06/2007, 9:17 AM
It will be interesting to see does this now come to pass. If Leicester don't keep Nigel Worthington, he could be the next Norn Iron manager.

Nigel Worthington to be the next Northern Ireland manager:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6708553.stm

Thank you. Thank you :cool:.

Steve Bruce
01/06/2007, 10:04 AM
Nigel Worthington to be the next Northern Ireland manager:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6708553.stm

Thank you. Thank you :cool:.

Do you want a blue peter badge:confused:

OwlsFan
01/06/2007, 12:42 PM
Do they still hand them out :eek: ?

I obviously have a soft spot for Nigel since he played for Wednesday for many years. His managerial career is at best average, however, so I wouldn't be too optimistic for the Wee North but who knows.