PDA

View Full Version : whats the story?

parnell ranger
13/01/2003, 10:35 AM
We're now 2 years into the 5 year plan and if anything it looks like we've slipped deeper into oblivion than ever.
The deafening silence from the board re the new developement is ominous and with EUFA now demanding stricter financial and operational structures within clubs i fear the writing is on the wall for our club.
If the one million euro allocated a year ago is not used within a certain time is it not lost?
I see no work started on the site whatsoever.
ironically schoolboy football in town is thriving both on and off the field.
Clubs like St Francis,Temple Villa abd A.C. Celtic are investing heavily on new facilities.
Willow Park also have plans to improve their excellent facilities as have St Peters .
Ballinahown and St Josephs developments are top class .
If small clubs like these can not only operate on a shoestring budget but can also develop top class facilities why cant Athlone?
Some years ago a prominent member of the business community was castigated for suggesting Athlone town should move to a site now occupied by the buccs rugby club.
Crowds of 4000 regularly turn up in facilities second to none while Athlone town directors plan to "upgrade St Mels park"
To say the club have been mismanaged would be too polite.
To the younger Athlone fan this might seem pessimistic and whingey but i.ve been supporting Athlone since the late sixties and facilities havent improved at all.
I'd like to hear answers from the board !

cheers