PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Previews, and Northern Games too

el punter
23/03/2007, 2:06 PM
From http://elpunter.blogspot.com/

Derry City v St Patrick's Athletic
The top two meet in a televised clash in the Maiden City. We know what City are made of; this will give us a clearer indication of Pats' title credentials. PJ has looked less than convincing on his last couple of outings in the Candystripes nets; can the freescoring Saints exploit this? The odds look about right. No betting here.

Stan James Prices
4/5 Derry
9/4 Draw
3/1 St Pats

Galway United v Drogheda United
Two games, no goals; an inauspicious start for professionalism at Galway United. Yes they garnered a point at Cork last week, but that owed more to a benevolent official than an outstanding performance. Life doesn't get any easier in the Premier Division, and this time the heavyweights of Drogheda United are the visitors. Paul Doolin's side are absent some of the first XI including main source of goals Declan O'Brien, but the Drogs bench is replete with quality replacements. Would you back Zayed and Fitzpatrick at odds on to get you a winner here? No bet, but laying Drogheda wouldn't be the worst thing you could do tw

Stan James Prices
3/1 Galway
9/4 Draw
4/5 Drogheda

UCD v Cork City
Cork's poor start may have been put behind them with a midweek Setanta Cup victory, but in UCD they face a well-organised side who rarely give away cheap goals. Will Farrelly and Healy be available; their class would be invaluable against a Pete Mahon side which continues to impress in its battle against the odds. Under 2.5 goals is the bet here if you can get 4/6 or so, and of course the 0-0 draw is generally value at Belfield.

Stan James Prices
9/4 UCD
2/1 Draw
11/10 Cork City

Waterford United v Bray Wanderers
Honours were even between last years bottom feeders; both have shown signs of improvment with the Blues seeing off a rusty Cork City challenge and the Seagulls landing one on Bohs. For Waterford, Robert Brosnan and Robbie Hedderman return from suspension while Willie Bruton also returns to the squad. Kenny Browne is out with a broken bone in his hand while Paul McCarthy and John Hayes are troubled by hamstring injuries. Ray Scully - FIFA Three Club rule - you know the story. Clive Delaney sits this one out for Eddie Gormley's side. I've seen some 15/8 on Bray, this is a little bigger than it should be and a small bet is recommended.

Stan James Prices
6/4 Waterford
2/1 Draw
13/8 Bray

Longford Town v Sligo Rovers
It has the makings of a long hard campaign for Alan Matthew's side, who struggled against the Bit O'Red last term. Hard to see any change in that pattern, especially without last week's villains, Damien Brennan and John Martin. An already American model-thin squad can ill afford such absences. I'm looking to go low on goals again here while taking the best odds on the 0-0 available.

Stan James Prices
6/4 Longford
2/1 Draw
13/8 Sligo Rovers

IPL Fixtures

Dungannon Swifts v Limavady United
Harry Fay's men have begun to display the form which earned them a top four spot in the last two seasons; Portadown's implosion has reopened that possibility. Their upturn in form has conveniently coincided with the Setanta Cup; the demands of the all-Ireland competition may well affect the Swifts' team selection. Limavady continue to impress with their honest endeavour and footballing efforts as they copperfasten midtable security. I expect the Swifts to win but at the price I won't be cheering their goals.

Stan James Prices
8/13 Dungannon
12/5 Draw
4/1 Limavady

Coleraine v Cliftonville
Two of the league's most consistent sides collide by the Bann. The Reds suffered the unusual experience of being held goalless last time out; countering that is John Connolly's near 800 minutes without conceding a goal. If the Reds are to keep the pressure on the Blues they must emulate Glentoran by taking maximium points from a side who have a top four finish within touching distance. Best watched

Stan James Prices
2/1 Coleraine
2/1 Draw
5/4 Cliftonville

Donegal Celtic v Portadown
If anybody spots a stray wheel anywhere it belongs to Portadown. Convery out; Collins suspended and confidence shattered. Their previously fart-tight defence has conceded 8 times in 3 outings, without reply. Many a top side have struggled at Suffolk Road this term; and with DC perilously close to the bottom two this promises to be no fun for Ronnie's eleven. Portadown are big lay material until further notice. That big fat 9/1 I had on them for the Setanta group goes in to ever growing value of no worth file.

Stan James Prices
3/1 Donegal Celtic
9/4 Draw
4/5 Ports

Glenavon v Glentoran
Whilst the Lurgan Blues have of late realised what the opposition goal is for, George of the Mourneview, it has been to no avail. 11 in their last 5 outings has been bettered only by 16 conceded in the same period. Whilst Paul Millar's men have lost that air of invincibility, in Gary Hamilton they have a player who will fully exploit a slack backline. However Glenavon are serious bet ruiners and Glentoran aren't to be trusted either. Keep your hands in your pockets.

Stan James Prices
5/1 Glenavon
12/5 Draw
8/15 Glentoran

Larne v Armagh City
Paul Curran has reintroduced defence at Inver Park, and a recently shabby Eagles effort will have to improve hugely if they are to take anything from the newly confident port side. Kinky took the unusual step of publicly rebuking his side's performance last time out - will it have the desired effect against a team which has recently shut out both Linfield and Cliftonville? If I can find some 5/4 or 11/8 Larne I'll have a bet.

Stan James Prices
6/5 Larne
11/5 Draw
15/8 Armagh

Lisburn Distillery v Ballymena United
Tommy Wright's men have found the Big C, - Consistency; possibly alienating much of their loyal support in the process with this uncharacteristic development! These are two of the table's bubbling under sides; always capable of upsetting the top sides, always capable of collapse also. Undoubtedly the day's most intriguing and evenly balanced contest. The Whites were on the sore end of a 3-0 scoreline at Linfield last week, but their performance deserved better. Emm, you just couldn't bet on this one...maybe goals low if your desperate?

Stan James Prices
11/10 Lisburn
9/4 Draw
2/1 Ballymena

Loughgall v Linfield
DJ has been rumbling on about asking for a postponement of this game. Why? The Villagers are the must-play side of the moment. Their defence shows all the mobility of a Subbuteo team and all the unity of a handful of marbles. Do they have an attack? A Steve Staunton/Bobby Robson XI would give Loughgall a good game. Could well be drinking 7-Up post match in the Linfield dressing room just like back in November.

Stan James Prices
9/1 Loughgall
7/2 Draw
1/4 Linfield

Newry City v Crusaders
Plainly, Newry City owe Crusaders a beating if this season's previous encounters are to be taken as a barometer. The border side have been steadily improving under the novice stewardship of Gerry Flynn; but Stephen Baxter's side will provide a tough test for them at the Showgrounds. If any of the more reputable firms go 11/8 about Baxters men I may then put them in a position to ruin my afternoon.

Stan James Prices
15/8 Newry
11/5 Draw
6/5 Crusaders

DRDoc
27/03/2007, 10:54 AM
Their defence shows all the mobility of a Subbuteo team and all the unity of a handful of marbles.

A Classic quote!

Excellent stuff

JC_GUFC
28/03/2007, 9:52 PM
If any of the more reputable firms go 11/8 about Baxters men I may then put them in a position to ruin my afternoon.

Stan James Prices
15/8 Newry
11/5 Draw
6/5 Crusaders

One reputable firm I know went 7/5 but doesn't appeared to have laid the price at all! What happened?!?! ;)

el punter
30/03/2007, 11:20 AM
One reputable firm I know went 7/5 but doesn't appeared to have laid the price at all! What happened?!?! ;)

Not much point flagging it up five days after the game!