PDA

View Full Version : Starting 11 v Wales

Pages : [1] 2

Scram
23/03/2007, 12:23 PM
Probable: (knowing that like every other Muppet we've had managing us, he'll go with the easy option i.e. as you were, if Carr wasn't injured, he'd be right back of course )

4-4-2

Given

Finnan,Dunne,McShane, O'Shea

Ireland,Carlsley,Kilbane,Duff

Keane,Doyle

This is not too bad, but I wouldn't play a strict 4-4-2. I would not have O'Shea in the starting line up and would even prefer Harte but I would still be optimistic that this team can do well.

I would also take a chance on Hunt as a starter probably dropping Kilbane to the bench. However, the Carlsley Kilbane combo should be strong and no harm in starting like this, but if no inroads are made he has to put on Hunt and/or McGeady.

Irealnd's not doing great at Man City at the moment either and Hunt for Ireland in the above would be another option worh considering. Duff is way off his best and hopefully can pick it up v Wales and I am expecting him to take the opportunity to do so.

Ideally though, he has the gumption to take O'Shea off if he puts in his usual half-hearted lack lustre display in the green jersey.

Stan has said "we need to win our home games, and this is a home game, so we need to win it" just to clarify to those of us that thought that because it wasn't at Lansdowne that it could be an away game I guess!

Anyway - GET BEHIND STAN AND THE TEAM TOMORROW BIGTIME NO FCUKIN BOOS EXCEPT FOR THE DELANEY MUPPET

citizenerased
23/03/2007, 12:44 PM
he wont play ireland on the right thats for sure, he 'll either play duff or mcgeady there. I think he will go for carsley and ireland/Kilbane in the centre..

kingdom hoop
23/03/2007, 1:05 PM
emmet malone(irish times) seems to suggest a probable line up of;

given
finnan, dunne, o'shea, harte
duff, carsley, ireland, kilbane
keane, doyle

i'd put my money on the above team being named. variable would appear to be mcshane into CB, with o'shea diplacing ireland or harte

BaZmO*
23/03/2007, 1:08 PM
he wont play ireland on the right thats for sure, he 'll either play duff or mcgeady there. I think he will go for carsley and ireland/Kilbane in the centre..
Stan's confirmed that Ireland will start.

citizenerased
23/03/2007, 1:09 PM
kilbane should not start anyway!!

lionelhutz
23/03/2007, 1:29 PM

given
keane, doyle

i'd put my money on the above team being named. variable would appear to be mcshane into CB, with o'shea diplacing ireland or harte

oh god - please don't be this team! Harte, O'shea and Kilbane - what a disaster that would be. We'd have nothing down our left and our defence would be dodgy, especially against bellamy's pace

eirebhoy
23/03/2007, 1:33 PM

given
keane, doyle

Is McShane not fit? If he is then that is another disgraceful decision by Stan. The reason O'Shea played relatively well against Czechs is because McShane was beside him. Dunne isn't really the type that'll organise the defence and tell O'Shea where to be going. It has to be Dunne and McShane otherwise I fear for us.

paudie
23/03/2007, 1:35 PM
I definitely think Hunt should start.

He has looked an agressive, busy player everytime I've seen him play. Reminds me of Ray Houghton.
Kilbane is willing but very limited.

macdermesser
23/03/2007, 1:43 PM
HARTE!!!

threads with he is world class .. and now this

I know football is about opinions .. etc etc and not to attack the poster .. but anyone who seriously thinks that Harte should be in the team, needs their heads examined.

Paddy Garcia
23/03/2007, 1:45 PM
I know football is about opinions .. etc etc and not to attack the poster .. but anyone who seriously thinks that Harte should be in the team, needs their heads examined.

Well...... he is building for the future!!

Torn-Ado
23/03/2007, 2:04 PM
My team would be:

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O Dea
Harte

McGeady
Ireland
Carsley
Duff

Keane
Doyle

Goalkeeper, obvious. The backline is strong except for Harte but he is a lot better than O Shea and can be useful at the set piece. McGeady and Duff out wide as they can take players on and are decent going back. I'd have Carsley in the holding role. He will be vital tommorow and hopefully he will break up the attack and let Ireland go forward. I cannot stand Robbie Keane but maybe he might score a goal or two and not routinely scuff them.

The team likely to play:

Given

Finnan
Dunne
McShane
O Shea

Duff
Ireland
Carsley
Kilbane

Doyle
Keane

kingdom hoop
23/03/2007, 2:05 PM
HARTE!!!

threads with he is world class .. and now this

it's based on robson saying harte was doing really well at training, though given it is robson it could equally have been finnan doing well:rolleyes:

o'shea is a golden boy in management's eyes so i'd be amazed if he didnt start, somewhere. if ireland is definitely starting then it's either left back for sheasy or mcshane doesnt start, one would imagine.

as much as i'd like to see hunt be given his head(no pun intended) kilbane will probably make his 42nd consecutive appearance:(

Kingdom
23/03/2007, 2:06 PM
What I hate about threads like these is that the Subject is open to debate. Do you put the team you want to see selected or the team we believe the manager will select.

I think he'll select

Given
Finnan --- Dunne --- O'Shea --- Harte
Duff --- Carsley --- Ireland --- Kilbane
Keane -- Doyle

Team I would pick

Given
Finnan -- Dunne -- McShane -- O'Dea
McGeady -- Carlsey -- Douglas -- Duff
Keane -- Doyle

I am a fan of KK's ultimately because regardless of things are going around him or for him, he God honestly tries his heart out and wants to do well. Plus he's a giant. We have a small team. Realistically its himself Dunne and O'Shea for all setpieces. If he plays tomorrow watch how many headers he willwin from Shay's kick outs.
Having said that, we know are in a position with Dunne, McShane, ODea if he was selected, Doyle and Douglas as options in the box. Remember it was a clattering Douglas header that set up the goal against the Czechs. As we know we have better options on the left going forward than Kilbane now, and if the deficiencies which he covers are removed from the other areas of the team then there is no place for him currently.
I would like to see Douglas given a run out. This game will be a war and two ruff and tumble players in the middle will be of use, particularily if our two skillful outlets are on the wing in Duff and McGeady. I'm not convinced by Stephen Ireland and I'm convinced he can flourish in a 4 man midfield for us.

Dublin12
23/03/2007, 2:27 PM
I think he'll select

Given
Finnan --- Dunne --- O'Shea --- Harte
Duff --- Carsley --- Ireland --- Kilbane
Keane -- Doyle

My team

Given

Finnan--Dunne--O'Dea--McShane

Hunt--Carsley--Duff

Keane(always ends up playing here anyway)

Stokes-- Doyle

NeilMcD
23/03/2007, 2:29 PM
Where are people getting the idea that Mc Shane is a left back.

Dublin12
23/03/2007, 2:31 PM
Probably the same people that thought McGrath or Lawerson were midfielders

NeilMcD
23/03/2007, 2:33 PM
I don't see the link. Mc Shane is a right footed up and at them centre back who is good in the air but is not the most mobile. He has filled in at right back for West Brom this season. How does that translate that he should start left back against Wales.

Scram
23/03/2007, 2:35 PM
Where are people getting the idea that Mc Shane is a left back.

Where do people get the idea that Mc and O are interchangeable ;)

Ooh ah Paul o Grath

Kingdom
23/03/2007, 2:37 PM
I don't see the link. Mc Shane is a right footed up and at them centre back who is good in the air but is not the most mobile. He has filled in at right back for West Brom this season. How does that translate that he should start left back against Wales.

Apologies Neil I was to have Odea at left back and MCShane in the middle where he did wonderfully against the Czechs.

tetsujin1979
23/03/2007, 2:57 PM
Looks like Ireland is starting, presumably alongside Carsley: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1851

Staunton confirmed that the presence of Ireland at the conference signified his intention of starting the 20 years old Manchester City player in midfield.

John83
23/03/2007, 3:11 PM
Looks like Ireland is starting, presumably alongside Carsley: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1851
A pity really. I really want to see Douglas get a game again, so unless he goes with one striker (maybe Keane and Duff behind Doyle), that's out now. I don't see him being that adventurous though.

cavan_fan
23/03/2007, 3:39 PM
If Ireland is starting I think it will be

Given
Finnan Dunne McShane O'Shea
Duff Carsley Ireland Kilbane
Keane Doyle

Of these the debates are mainly LB and the 4th midfielder (alongside Duff, Carsley and Ireland). I guess McSahne is not a deifinite too.

Kilbane will play (and in fact if he is worth dropping so is everyone else at the moment). Unless he's going to play LB then it will be the old Duff on the right, him on the left.

John83
23/03/2007, 3:59 PM
If Ireland is starting I think it will be

Given
Duff Carsley Ireland Kilbane
Keane Doyle

Of these the debates are mainly LB and the 4th midfielder (alongside Duff, Carsley and Ireland). I guess McSahne is not a deifinite too.

Kilbane will play (and in fact if he is worth dropping so is everyone else at the moment). Unless he's going to play LB then it will be the old Duff on the right, him on the left.
Yeah, I think that's all spot on. Well, apart from that McSahne guy. Sounds like he should be playing for Germany. ;)

ShelsLimerick
23/03/2007, 6:29 PM
Seeing as its Croker.

Given

McShane Dunne Harte

Finnan O'Shea Kilbane

Carsley Quinn

McGeady Ireland Hunt

Keane Doyle Duff

Scram
23/03/2007, 7:31 PM
Seeing as its Croker.

Given

McShane Dunne Harte

Finnan O'Shea Kilbane

Carsley Quinn

McGeady Ireland Hunt

Keane Doyle Duff

:D Quinn's a bit short for a midfielder, unless you mean Niall Quinn.

Quite like that formation to be honest!! You might be on to something. Bamboozle with the extra men.

peterc1992
23/03/2007, 7:56 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne Mcshane Harte

Mcgeady kilbane reid duff

keane doyle

zenokelly
23/03/2007, 8:08 PM
Only question is whether he'll play O'Shea left back or centre half, so either Harte or McShane will be left out.

Disappointed Hunt won't be able to prove his worth at this level but stan won't take the chance Zinedine the old reliable.

The-Beer-Baron
23/03/2007, 9:11 PM
why are people not looking at the possibility of o'shea in the centre of midfield. he is by a long way our most naturally gifted footballer(not our best player though), he is not aggressive enough to command the midfield, but surely with lee"the pitbull" carsley beside him he will be able to play good football.

my team
given
kelly
dunne
mcshane
finnan
hunt
carsley
oshea
duff
keane
doyle

eirebhoy
23/03/2007, 9:41 PM
he is by a long way our most naturally gifted footballer(not our best player though)
In what way? Technically gifted? Naturally intelligient? O'Shea is nowhere near our most naturally gifted player in any department.

gustavo
23/03/2007, 9:44 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne McShane Kilbane
Duff Carsley Ireland Hunt
Keane Doyle
is what i would go with anyhoo

eirebhoy
23/03/2007, 9:49 PM
Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Carsley, Kilbane, Ireland, Duff, Keane and Doyle are all certain to play. Does anybody disagree?

It's between McShane or Harte for the other spot. I think the Irish Times are right and he'll go with O'Shea. We may get away with it but I don't know how Stan could go with him over McShane.

Qwerty
23/03/2007, 9:53 PM
why are people not looking at the possibility of o'shea in the centre of midfield. he is by a long way our most naturally gifted footballer(not our best player though)

When I hear 'naturally gifted' I think of players like Paul McGrath, Ronnie Whelan or Liam Brady. These guys instinctively do the right thing, take the right option - things which can't be coached. O'Shea is not gifted, naturally or otherwise.

ForzaWexford
23/03/2007, 10:03 PM
I'm going to give McShane the nod over Harte because I reckon he's the sort of player that will rise to the occasion.

Given.

Finnan. Dunne. McShane. O' Shea.

Duff. Carsley. Ireland. Kilbane.

Doyle. Keane.

geysir
23/03/2007, 10:17 PM
I'm glad that you still have some happy hopes left in you, Tuff Paddy.

dr_peepee
23/03/2007, 10:21 PM
I'd say that's his team alright...

But I also think Duff, Ireland and McGeady (if he gets on) will win us free kicks in dangerous areas... and we won't be able to capitalise.

brokenstar
23/03/2007, 11:13 PM
I'm going to give McShane the nod over Harte because I reckon he's the sort of player that will rise to the occasion.

McShane is the only one with half a chance of keeping up with the pace of Bellamy!

TheBoss
24/03/2007, 12:16 AM
This what I think:

GK - Given

CD - Dunne
CD - O'Dea
LB - Finnan
RB - McShane

CM - O'Shea
CM - Carsley
LM - Duff
RM - McGeady

FW - Doyle
FW - Keane

That should brush aside Wales easily, Creative players out wide and good goalscorers to take advantage of that chances with a solid centre midfield to combact the 5 Welsh midfielders

gustavo
24/03/2007, 12:27 AM
So you would move a novice out of position to make way for another novice?

danonion
24/03/2007, 2:44 AM
This what I think:

GK - Given

CD - Dunne
CD - O'Dea
LB - Finnan
RB - McShane

CM - O'Shea
CM - Carsley
LM - Duff
RM - McGeady

FW - Doyle
FW - Keane

That should brush aside Wales easily, Creative players out wide and good goalscorers to take advantage of that chances with a solid centre midfield to combact the 5 Welsh midfielders

Terrible selection. McShane out of position, O'Dea uncapped, Finnan is terrible at left back, Kilbane has been our best player this season and should start and O'Shea in central midfield with Carsley has about as much flair as father stone

Irish_Praha
24/03/2007, 7:50 AM
McShane is the only one with half a chance of keeping up with the pace of Bellamy!

Haven't seen much of McShane but have seen some comments on here and some WBA sites that he suffers from a lack of pace. I think he has more of a good footballing brain rather than blistering pace or an array of passing. A committed defender that knows how to put off a striker by marking him closely.

This is from a baggies site about the WBA v Palace game a few weeks ago:

RATINGS -

* Kiely - 6 - Little to 1st half other than pick the ball out of the net twice. Called into action more 2nd half, unlucky with 3rd goal.

* McShane - 7 - His passing and lack of pace are weaknesses, but defended very well 2nd half.

eirebhoy
24/03/2007, 9:56 AM
Finnan is terrible at left back
Arguably our best, and even most involved, player in Germany. Did well Switzerland there too. He's well capable of playing there but I'd prefer him at right back with the current squad.

eirebhoy
24/03/2007, 10:20 AM
A guy on a Celtic forum says he knows a member of the Ireland squad and this is the team:

Given

Douglas Carsley Ireland Kilbane

Duff Keane

He's a regular on the forum but I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

nui-harp
24/03/2007, 1:25 PM
Finnan left back!!!!

SligoBrewer
24/03/2007, 1:29 PM
no Doyle!

Stan Should Be Shot!
This Is Beyond Ridiculous!

James
24/03/2007, 1:32 PM
what a joke of a lineup

no doyler and that muppet o'shea at right full

STAN OUT NOW!!

charliesboots
24/03/2007, 1:33 PM
crazy team, o'shea rb and finnan lb, douglas and kilbane in yet no doyle, mcgeady, hunt. bizarre selection.

JimmyP
24/03/2007, 1:36 PM
I feel sick. I hope to God it works, but looking at that line-up, you'd never know we had a near full-strength squad to choose from.

nui-harp
24/03/2007, 1:38 PM
Did any1 see Giles reaction when asked if the team reflected Stan or Robson? It was put to him that the team was mixed up because of Robson and he quickly said Stan was well capable of that on his own!! Priceless:D

tippex
24/03/2007, 1:49 PM
with a bit of luck this team selection should get stan the boot

Fear Manach
24/03/2007, 2:39 PM
Thirty-Three minutes in....GAA heads will be happy...Soccer yet to be played in Croke Park.