PDA

View Full Version : Limerick FC 3 - 2 Cobh Ramblers

deise deserter
13/01/2003, 8:52 AM
Limerick FC 2 – 3 Cobh Rambers FC

What a sh*tty day!

The only way to describe the match was soul-destroying. Limerick didn’t do themselves justice yesterday against Cobh. Limerick for the main part played a good game but it was the crappy little mistakes that killed them.

Colm Heffernan played magnificent football but it just didn’t come together and result in a goal for him. Stephen O’Flynn was back and although he seemed a bit out of the game in the initial phases of it, he seemed to improve as time went on. He scored both goals, the penalty especially being a cracker. Anton Mannering played well, working for every chance he got. Barry Ryan, replacing Mannering in the second half, failed to make any impact on the game at all.

Brendan Hughes put in a great pass to Heffernan to set up the first goal and played well overall. Conor Molan also had a solid game.

Defence was okay generally, but at times absolutely awful. Pat Purcell was left dawdling with the ball on a number of occasions creating unnecessary danger for Limerick. Paul Finucane had a good game, and Derek Whyte played solidly.

Cobh, however were a different kettle of fish.

Dave Hill (the player-manager mind!) showed off his professionalism by giving the opposing team’s fans the finger, abusing the referee constantly, and later by getting himself sent off. You would think that someone who has played professional football in both Ireland and England would have a little more sense. At one stage while he was giving the finger to fans, one of his own players yelled at him to “keep your f*ckin eye on the game.” Well done Dave.

Jason Kabia was well out of line too, putting in a disgraceful tackle on Colm Heffernan. The good news is that he told us he was retiring at the end of the season – I’m sure the nation will weep. Cobh’s number 2 should have been sent off. By my count the referee talked to him on four separate occasions – all of which deserved a card.

Stephen Yelverton however played a great game for Cobh, and was a huge danger to us, especially during the first half when he was skipping around mid-field. Thankfully Derek Whyte brought him crashing down to earth with a great challenge that laid him flat on his back. Willie Bruton played very well for Cobh also, showing a great turn of pace.

Their goals against us were sh*tty, especially the second goal by Bruton scored just after half-time. Our defence went to sleep and Fyffe took a risk by coming out, which didn’t pay off, resulting in a goal that was given away needlessly. The ref was a disgrace with neither team being happy. There were a load of late calls, bad calls, an incident where there seemed to be a clear penalty for Limerick, and the fact that he did nothing with Cobh’s number two.

Here’s hoping that Limerick can shake this off before Kilkenny next week and end their season at the Jacks on a higher note than this.

sadloserkid
13/01/2003, 9:42 AM
"Jason Kabia was well out of line too, putting in a disgraceful tackle on Colm Heffernan."

Fair enough

"Yelverton however played a great game for Cobh, and was a huge danger to us, especially during the first half when he was skipping around mid-field. Thankfully Derek Whyte brought him crashing down to earth with a great challenge that laid him flat on his back."

So Kabia puts in what's known in the trade as a 'strikers tackle'. Fair enough, Deise condemns. Derek Whyte (a defender and one of my favourite Limerick players) hacks down and stamps on Yelverton purely because Eoin Poill can't get to grips with him and that's a great tackle?

How impartial! Let's try not to show more bias than is needed alright? A dangerous tackle is a dangerous tackle, regardless of what colour the jersey is.

Back to the game though. Fyffe still looks to be carrying a knock and was caught for a couple of the goals. If Mike Heath hadn't thrown the toys outta the pram I think Jimmy's be on the bench right now. Poill was a bit nervous-looking throughout but didn't make any mistakes. Finucane was solid too but offered very little support to Foley going forward. Paddy Purcell was as strong as ever in the tackle but as outlined above he had a tendency to take too many touches at times. Derek Whyte showed that he's still as clever as ever but his pace is gone and it didn't help us at times. In midfield Brendan Hughes was excellent, going from box to box and battling throughout. Conor Molan offered absolutely nothing going forward but worked hard throughout in a new position for him. Out wide Ciarán Foley continued to impress on the left working tirelessly back and forth. Colm Herffenan was good going forward but he didn't totally dominate things as he did in The Stadium on Tin. At the other end he couldn't defend a sandcastle and still needs to be talked through the game and he dropped his head when things weren't breaking for him. Up front O'Flynn was surprisingly subdued to start especially considering the Cobh fans natural distaste for the on-loan Cork City boy but came into it as the game went on. Mannerring was excellent too but will never shine while we insist on launching long balls into the box to him. He's what - 5'8 or 5'9? As for the subs Barry Ryan didn't really get to grips with the game and Welderick and Browne weren't really on long enough to rate.

Limerick vs. Queenstown Ramblers in 2002/2003 - 3 games, 8 red cards and 15 goals.

LFC in Exile
13/01/2003, 11:27 AM
Why was Weldrick dropped?

sadloserkid
13/01/2003, 11:29 AM
I think that's one of those things that none of us will ever understand... I suppose he's not realy a natural winger but I can't see any reason for him not to make the first XI! I know he picked up a knock a few weeks ago - maybe that's still holding him back?

deise deserter
13/01/2003, 4:24 PM
Never claimed to be impartial SLK!

sadloserkid
05/02/2003, 2:03 PM
Deise, I just noticed something you big lummox! 'Limerick FC 3 - 2 Cobh Ramblers'??? I don't think any of us would have had a problem with that! For those of us who missed the match... the score was actually 3-2 in favour of Queenstown. At least some other fans that you criticise for their reporting talents can get the result right! :D

deise deserter
05/02/2003, 2:54 PM
Umm... I was ..... testing you!! ... yeah thats it!

Damn! My identity as the misinformed reporter on Lims Fan's Rant Site is out of the bag!!!!

sadloserkid
05/02/2003, 2:57 PM
An easyish mistake to make... glad it wasn't me though! ;)