PDA

View Full Version : Kerr in the Times

Pages : [1] 2 3

NeilMcD
23/03/2007, 9:14 AM
Brian Kerr , the former Republic of Ireland manager, joins The Irish Times soccer team

The Irish squad selection was baffling. There should be criteria for inclusion in an international set-up. Being an outstanding talent obviously helps but every player must earn the right to be called in.

A few years back, after hearing of Caleb Folan's family connections, I went to a Leeds United youth game to see would he be worth selecting for the under-19s. He wasn't and has done precious little since to change my opinion.

When Folan pulled out the opportunity arose to bring in another physically imposing - and more importantly experienced - striker like Alan Lee, Clinton Morrison or even Gary Doherty. If they were to go another way, David Connolly is scoring goals in the English Championship and has some international pedigree. Andy Keogh has not been consistent at a high enough level for long enough.

Again, Darron Gibson has potential but what has he done to earn a place over Liam Miller among others? The logic is flawed and unfortunately consistent. See Sean St Ledger and Alan O'Brien.

Another concern for me with the new regime is the downgrading of video analysis. For all the best federations this is a critical element in match preparation. I was criticised for giving it emphasis but when I was coach the longest video session we ever had was 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the players' concentration time is quite limited and that was their limit. Whose fault that was I don't know, but everything had to be fine-tuned to really tight versions of the trends in the game so they could stick it.

You see the international rugby players and how they have bought into the technological aspect of preparation. They rigorously analyse the opposition and themselves. And why shouldn't they? Winning is getting harder. Every avenue must be exhausted at this level.

But more of that later.

I have to admit that I'll wake up tomorrow morning with a tinge of regret that I'm not Ireland manager for the first match in Croke Park - especially considering I spent so much of my childhood going there.

My first sporting memory was going to the 1958 All-Ireland final with my Dad to see the Kevin Heffernan-led Dublin beat Derry. I was only five years old so he had to hoist me on to his shoulders.

Memories of him came flooding back this week. Frankie Kerr was Belfast-born but educated all over the globe as one of eight sons of a high-ranking British army officer. He was born in 1916 and travelled through the old British colonies like India and Egypt during the 1920s.

He passed on an appreciation of the joys of sport without bans, bigotry, discrimination or racism. Principles I carry on today.

He didn't come from a Gaelic or soccer background. In fact, he played hockey for Leinster although Frankie Kerr was best known for winning six Irish amateur boxing titles over three weights. The youngest man ever to win a senior title, when only 16 and that legacy is secured as you must now be 17 to box with the seniors.

He worked for Dunlop making footballs and stringing tennis rackets and as a tailor in O'Connell Street before passing away prematurely in 1968.

As a kid in Dublin who played all sports I dreamed of playing for St Pat's, Dublin and Ireland. In no particular order.

My weekends were a blur of attending sports events (actually, they still are) between the National Stadium, Croke Park, Tolka, Richmond, Dalymount, Parnell, Páirc Uí Tuathaill and Lansdowne Road for the odd rugby match. And many more pitches around the Dublin area.

From the time I was eight years old I played for soccer clubs, starting with Rialto, but in 12 years of schooling the ban denied us the opportunity to play in St Michael's, Inchicore or James Street. Still, plenty of balls were confiscated in the school yard by a caretaker named Mr Cooke.

But Gaelic football and hurling ruled supreme in school. I first played in Croke Park in an under-12 football final. I returned for athletics and hurling. I was probably a better corner forward than a soccer player. Initially, at least.

I was never overly affected by the ban, mainly because it didn't impinge on the Dublin youngster, say, like it would a rural kid.

I can remember two brothers called Brian and Fergus Cooney were great Dublin hurlers in the mid-60s who tilted their heads (ala Michael Collins) in the picture for the paper when they lined out for St Stephen's of Drimnagh.

When I left school my participation in GAA sports ended. There was simply no room anymore as I was playing under-17 for Shelbourne and coaching the Crumlin United under-13s.

I still went to Croke Park for big Dublin games, as a teenager with Eamonn Coghlan whose father, Bill, was the stadium PA, or occasionally down to see the local club Good Counsel.

Then there was the famous 12 Apostles final of 1983 when I found myself in a crush behind Hill 16. I survived but ended up watching it all at home.

The GAA policy towards soccer wasn't an issue for me until recent times because I always had plenty of special places to go see the game.

I will be proud to be at Croker tomorrow. Not to see the Dubs or a hurling final, U2 or to speak at a conference but as an Irishman in the new era watching a sport I love in an amazing environment.

Seeing the rugby unfold was a strange feeling, just like soccer in Lansdowne Road initially seemed.

I congratulate the members of the GAA, especially former president Seán Kelly, for making the decision to facilitate all lovers of Irish sport.

Hopefully in the future the circle can be complete by GAA games making use of soccer's better stadiums.

Brian Kerr will analyse Ireland's chances against Wales in tomorrow's Irish Times.
© 2007 The Irish Times

fergalr
23/03/2007, 9:18 AM
Hopefully in the future the circle can be complete by GAA games making use of soccer's better stadiums.

I have a lot of time for Kerr and think at lot of the above is spot on. However this last sentence is the daftest thing he's ever said.

NeilMcD
23/03/2007, 9:19 AM
Maybe he is saying that he wants Gaa teams to play at a revamped Richmond Park.

Pablo
23/03/2007, 9:22 AM
I have a lot of time for Kerr and think at lot of the above is spot on. However this last sentence is the daftest thing he's ever said.

Why? The GAA wont ever do it, but they should have the option surely?

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 9:23 AM

Maybe he is saying that he wants Gaa teams to play at a revamped Richmond Park.

Possibly. From what I've seen, the phrase "soccer's better stadiums" wouldn't in any way include Tallaght Municipal...

He might mean Wembley.:)

Dodge
23/03/2007, 9:23 AM
Nothing wrong with the last line. He's not saying our stadiums are better at the moment, he's saying hopefully they'll improve to a point where the GAA wish to use ours...

Over the post
23/03/2007, 9:24 AM
Surely soccer pitches would be too small.

Otherwise a great article. Spot on about the squad selection.

jbyrne
23/03/2007, 9:31 AM
Otherwise a great article. Spot on about the squad selection.

and the video analysis. every top sportsman uses video analysis to improve their performance yet our lot found it boring and tiresome under kerr.... poor lads

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 9:32 AM
and the video analysis. every top sportsman uses video analysis to improve their performance yet our lot found it boring and tiresome under kerr.... poor lads

Mick Byrne and his magic sponge is WAY more effective in the modern international arena. :D

NeilMcD
23/03/2007, 9:40 AM
I wonder would Kerr have been impressed if Mc Carthy wrote such an article before home games. Not saying he should not do it.

eirebhoy
23/03/2007, 9:50 AM
Cheers for posting that Neil. I like to read Kerr's opinions (not necessarily listen ;)) as for all his faults, his football knowledge and tactical analysis is usually spot on. He's probably a bit like Souness in that he lacks the man to man management skills but you don't need that to write an article.

Dodge
23/03/2007, 9:59 AM
Everyone who's ever played for him at Pats or underage level has always commented on Kerr being brilliant man manager. Its just the Prima donnas that had a problem with him

eirebhoy
23/03/2007, 10:04 AM
Fair enough. I'm a huge fan of Kerr but I don't agree that we didn't have the players to qualify for the WC. For some reason Kerr's team was one of the best in Europe when playing in friendlies but was just a lot more nervous in competitives. It's his job to correct that. Fantastic addition to the Irish Times anyway.

Billsthoughts
23/03/2007, 10:16 AM
Thought the article was a bit airy fairy to be honest. The first part was great about squad selection and hopefully future columns he wont hold back either..seems to have a new lease of life since hes got back involved with something hes passionate about.

BaZmO*
23/03/2007, 10:23 AM

I find that extraordinary. I know professional footballers aren't known for their high IQ's but having difficulties keeping interest in a video about your job for more than 20 minutes is worrying.

I remember when it first came out that the players didn't like all the analysis of games on video I was under the impression that they were made sit through hours and hours of footage but 20mins? :rolleyes:

Kingdom
23/03/2007, 10:31 AM
I find that extraordinary. I know professional footballers aren't known for their high IQ's but having difficulties keeping interest in a video about your job for more than 20 minutes is worrying.

I remember when it first came out that the players didn't like all the analysis of games on video I was under the impression that they were made sit through hours and hours of footage but 20mins? :rolleyes:

Exactly. Pity he signed a confidentiality clause because I'm sure there would have been more interesting anecdotes. Agree with Bazmo, I was under the impression they were spending hours and hours analysing teams, but 20 mins ffs...

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 10:34 AM
Everyone who's ever played for him at Pats or underage level has always commented on Kerr being brilliant man manager. Its just the Prima donnas that had a problem with him

I've always thought that - most of the players who left Pats were failures under other managers (possibly only Fenlon and Fleming did better at other clubs).

True, a number of players did not play to their potential under Kerr. Delaney brought in their old drinking buddy, Staunton, and Mick Byrne to perk them up and they're still putting in dull, lifeless performances. To echo the sane part of Roy's rant, at some stage you have to start putting the blame on the players.

Lest we forget - the squad that Kerr brought to 3rd in the World against their peers (several future superstars in other squads):

1 O CONNOR Derek
2 WORRALL David
3 RYAN Robert
4 HAWKINS Colin
5 LYNCH Aidan
6 MURPHY Stephen
7 INMAN Niall
8 BURNS John
9 CUMMINS Michael
10 MORGAN Thomas
11 DUFF Damien
12 WHITTLE David
13 KIRBY Alan
14 FENN Neale
15 CROWE Glenn
16 WHELAN Paul
17 BAKER Desmond
18 MOLLOY Trevor

Only two world-class footballers in that squad (although Duff has faded in recent years).

wws
23/03/2007, 10:45 AM
is that the alan kirby??????

its amazing that most are now coming around to the opinion that we were sold a pup in the papers when his Laneyship and his press mates tried to sell us the Kerr was negative BS which all the saps fell for - it was the players all along.

I'd genuinely hope Wales trash us. In fact I couldnt give a fig aboiut the game what with Derry Pats more of a true INTERNATIONAL in my eyes

Dodge
23/03/2007, 11:00 AM
Only two world-class footballers in that squad (although Duff has faded in recent years).

is that the alan kirby??????

Yep, the one and only

BohsPartisan
23/03/2007, 11:03 AM

Some would say Crowe has too! ;)

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 11:05 AM
Some would say Crowe has too! ;)

Certainly not physically faded.

paul_oshea
23/03/2007, 11:06 AM
I have to admit that I'll wake up tomorrow morning with a tinge of regret that I'm not Ireland manager for the first match in Croke Park - especially considering I spent so much of my childhood going there.

i thought i read here before from the pats lads he was anti-"gah", why would he say this if thats the case? One thing I will give kerr is he was a real proud irish man first and foremost dub even. I am sure it would have brought a tear to his eye to be manager there tomorrow.

great article, not the usual bitter-tinted stuff from him.

geysir
23/03/2007, 11:08 AM
Looks like article is the result of an interview. I think better will come.
The only gripe expressed is about the squad selection of some reserves.
There may be flaws with the merits of some of the newcomers but no observation made of the positives with other newcomers like McShane, Hunt, Kelly and Douglas, who have earned their squad place on merit not promise.
That's the way it goes.

He has a sound point about video analysis.

Dodge
23/03/2007, 11:16 AM
i thought i read here before from the pats lads he was anti-"gah", why would he say this if thats the case?
Doubt you did in fairness. Any chance of backing it up?

gspain
23/03/2007, 11:30 AM

Actually I think he had no problems with the senior side until John Delaney became CEO. I think the pressure of not being Delaney's man took its toll and led to his mistakes.

Billsthoughts
23/03/2007, 11:35 AM
I think you will find most well educated people are "anti gahh" to some degree;)

wws
23/03/2007, 11:50 AM
Germany top the group..............

one reason - "following video analysis of the Czech Republic Ireland game the german staff and players are confident they can hurt the Czech defence...."

now Im not saying they'll win because of it but at least they are working on HOW to win - and kinda explains why they're light years ahead of us....of course light years behind Brian Kerr but we sacked him for being too clever....

Kingdom
23/03/2007, 12:07 PM
That article is definitely the result of an interview, you can tell it a mile off. Good result for The Irish Times though. And as for video preparation . . . .

And as for video preparation what? Explain!

Ceirtlis
23/03/2007, 12:16 PM
The points made about the squad selection in that article are spot on.

drummerboy
23/03/2007, 12:45 PM
Kerr tried to be more professional about preparation, ie less drinking on international week and studying videos. Unfortunately this didn't go down well with the prima donnas. Richard Dunne was in one of the papers today having a pop at Kerr.

paul_oshea
23/03/2007, 1:04 PM
of course light years behind Brian Kerr but we sacked him for being too clever....

....and of course for being too good a manager as well and getting us to two championships ;)

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 1:16 PM
....and of course for being too good a manager as well and getting us to two championships ;)

Yep U-16 and U-18 in the one season. Unprecedented.

Kingdom
23/03/2007, 1:49 PM
There has to be a closer to the truth opinion on Kerr rather than the tone here off

St Pats: Kerr is God
Rest of Loi: Kerr is cod

Was he bringing the professional setup the position needed?
Yes
Was he bringing a good backup staff? Yes.
Were the players not responsible or responsive enough? Yes.
Was he undermined by a cnut with a Mammy's Boy haircut?? Yes.
Was he too rigid in his beliefs and tactics for the Irish Superstars? Yes.

A good man who has kept his integrity intact and been quite professional when it would/could have been understandable to give outspoken interviews. Its a pity that some of the players he depended on were ones he probably considered his mates. The likes of Duff Keane and Dunne, the youth players so to speak. They let him down then and their subsequent comments in Irish papers since the genius that is gingernuts has taken over has let them down now.

tetsujin1979
23/03/2007, 2:39 PM
Some of Kerr's points smack a bit of bitterness, not that I can really blame him.

The Irish squad selection was baffling.
Not really, other than 3 or 4 players who more than likely wouldn't start, it's pretty much the squad I would have gone with

There should be criteria for inclusion in an international set-up. Being an outstanding talent obviously helps but every player must earn the right to be called in.
Jon Macken?

A few years back, after hearing of Caleb Folan's family connections, I went to a Leeds United youth game to see would he be worth selecting for the under-19s. He wasn't and has done precious little since to change my opinion.
Improved so much since then he's gone from scoring in League 1 to scoring in the Premiership

When Folan pulled out the opportunity arose to bring in another physically imposing - and more importantly experienced - striker like Alan Lee, Clinton Morrison or even Gary Doherty. If they were to go another way, David Connolly is scoring goals in the English Championship and has some international pedigree. Andy Keogh has not been consistent at a high enough level for long enough.
Out of those 3, I would only really count Alan Lee as a target man, which is what Andy Keogh was called in to be. Robbie Keane and Stokes both play similar roles as out and out strikers, Keogh and Doyle are going to be the target men in the squad. Is he considering Gary Doherty as a striker, even after he won player of the season at Norwich playing as a centre half?

Again, Darron Gibson has potential but what has he done to earn a place over Liam Miller among others?
Agreed, Miller should be in the squad, but I wouldn't start him

The logic is flawed and unfortunately consistent.
As consistent as a late Gary Doherty subsitution

See Sean St Ledger and Alan O'Brien.
St Ledger hasn't played for the senior team yet, and isn't doing too badly at Preston. I wouldn't have been upset to see him in the squad. Maybe Staunton has learned his lesson with O'Brien? He's limited, but Duff, Hunt and McGeady give us plenty of options on the left.

paul_oshea
23/03/2007, 2:44 PM
Was he undermined by a cnut with a Mammy's Boy haircut?? Yes.

LOL, for a sec i thought i was thinking wrong then i thought of " a mammys boy haircut" and i couldnt stop laughing. quality, brilliant sum up. what about a mammys boy attitude as well "mammy i am going to run the world one day" ok maybe not the world but he has started with the FAI

citizenerased
23/03/2007, 2:53 PM
I think you will find most well educated people are "anti gahh" to some degree;)

Thats wrong, cos i know for a fact stephen Hawking is a big Meath fan, so there!!

Paddy Garcia
23/03/2007, 3:24 PM
I don't recall Mick making similar criticisms after he had left. It's a shame really. Dead right on the analysis though.

The Folan comment looks like justifying his own (poor?) judgement, and IMO it was a decent selection. There are lots of other far more questionable ones.

Anyway what would we give for Kerr now, or Mick for that matter...or Jack.. or ........!!!

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 3:31 PM
LOL, for a sec i thought i was thinking wrong then i thought of " a mammys boy haircut" and i couldnt stop laughing. quality, brilliant sum up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Delaney_%28football_administrator%29

:D

bigmac
23/03/2007, 3:33 PM
That article is definitely the result of an interview, you can tell it a mile off.

Most "columns" are the result of interviews - often includes a little byline - as told to ...

Mainly this keeps the NUJ at bay who don't like non-journalists being employed in the print media.

fergalr
23/03/2007, 6:45 PM

Nothing wrong with the last line. He's not saying our stadiums are better at the moment, he's saying hopefully they'll improve to a point where the GAA wish to use ours...

Folks - are you not following the Tallaght land-grab saga? Is it not obvious now that a GAA pitch does not fit into a footie stadium?

If you really want the GAA to play in your local footie ground then be aware that they'll want to come in a knock down two sides of the ground first.

Scram
23/03/2007, 7:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergalr

Agree re. Kerr being spot on here, fair play to him and don't see anything ridiculous about his last statement except for the pitch size, which probaly isn't something that can be overlooked !

brine3
24/03/2007, 12:02 PM
Knowing Kerr, he's probably referring to youth sports. I'm sure a soccer pitch is more than adequate size for the local U-12 GAA team.

TonyD
24/03/2007, 5:37 PM
the prima donnas. Richard Dunne was in one of the papers today having a pop at Kerr.

Yeah, but then Richard Dunne is an arshole. If his attitude is an example of what Kerr was facing from the players then it's no wonder it all went wrong.

Jerry The Saint
26/03/2007, 9:53 AM
Yeah, but then Richard Dunne is an arshole. If his attitude is an example of what Kerr was facing from the players then it's no wonder it all went wrong.

Did he have a go at Kerr for bringing in too many foreign players? :)

tetsujin1979
26/03/2007, 12:05 PM
Can someone post Kerr's column from today's Times? We were walking out next to him in Croke Park, and one of the lads asked him what he thought of the game. I'd like to see if what he said on Saturday made it into the column...

geysir
26/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Slovakia will provide a much tougher test

Brian Kerr Soccer Analyst : This result should be viewed in a positive light; three desperately vital points were gained.

However, unlike Wales, Slovakia will come to Croke Park on Wednesday night seeking a win after again proving their pedigree away from home with a 3-1 victory in Cyprus.

The standard of Saturday's victory was vastly inferior to most internationals taking place across Europe over the weekend - technique being the main attribute absent at Croke Park.

Watching the high-intensity battle between Germany and the Czech Republic on Saturday evening it was hard to believe we are competing on the same level.

Possession is considered precious on the continent, unlike our game where it was handed back to the opposition far too cheaply. Even the average European nations focus on retaining possession while moving forward with purpose.

Steve Staunton and his team will care little about other results having garnered three points in such high-pressure circumstances. But many of the 72,539 crowd, particularly the former players present as guests of honour, must have been cringing at the lack of quality.

On hearing through the grapevine on Saturday morning that Kevin Doyle would not start and given the lack of experienced strikers in the squad, I expected a 4-2-1-3 system with Stephen Ireland playing behind Robbie Keane with Duffer and Kilbane out wide.

Jonathan Douglas's selection in midfield alongside Lee Carsley was the first surprise but starting Ireland in an unnatural position wide on the right made no sense. There were enough players out of position already, like Steve Finan at left back (he had to check every time he wanted to cross. Ian Harte's exclusion left the defence off kilter) and Duff up front, although this was less surprising given he played beside Keane during Stan's captaincy at the 2002 World Cup.

The big problem with the initial line-up, given the cautious Welsh approach, was the team proved ill-equipped to utilise the lion's share of possession.

It was imperative the midfield duo dictated the flow of play but while Carsley and Douglas are honest, energetic workers neither has the ability or subtlety to find space or the range of passing to act as playmakers in a crowded midfield. Hence, we were over dependent on a wide build-up with Finan and Kilbane on the left and O'Shea and Ireland down the right - until Ireland swapped with Duff.

Although both pairings have played together recently they seemed to lack understanding. This led to defenders knocking long, hopeful balls into our small front men.

The obvious move of Stephen Ireland to a central role and Damien going wide right led to the opening goal, roughly 10 minutes after the switch.

Another problem was a lack of speed and precision in the build up and change of play among the back four. The ball needed to be moved with accuracy to expose the glaring Welsh deficiencies.

Their premiership players - Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Simon Davies - all looked like they were told by their club managers not to return injured. They duly obliged and rarely showed their ability. While the opposition's ultra cautious approach made it difficult for Ireland, Wales are a limited team with even less technical ability than us. They should have been filleted.

The only clear Welsh chance came from Richard Dunne's lack of concentration, which he is prone to, which allowed Bellamy a clear run on goal. After turning Paul McShane inside then out, he was only denied by Shay Given's bravery and anticipation.

I expected Stephen Ireland's expertly-taken goal to improve confidence but the second half performance was even worse, lacking sustained periods of controlled football.

Although the pitch appeared bumpy, it is not enough to excuse the poor decision-making right throughout the game.

Wales had a brief spell of quality possession in the second half but the Irish fans' resorting to a silly Mexican wave routine suggested they were hoping a game of football might eventually break out.

Many of the punters were "interested onlookers" rather than genuine fans. These people tend to dilute the hardcore elements around them. I expect more passion under the lights.

There were some positives. The ever-maturing Paul McShane overcame some initial errors to contribute plenty of blocks and tackles.

Stephen Ireland again showed his eye for goal and ability to break into the box from deep. Kevin Hunt added a dash and vigour that must leave him close to a starting place on Wednesday.

Keane, Duff and as usual Kevin Kilbane must also be credited for their industry throughout. Duff's honesty and commitment was epitomised by his crucial nudge on Giggs in the Irish six-yard box before he headed the ball out for a corner in the last minute.

Kevin Doyle didn't appear to be running with his normal fluidity and power and given Robbie's absence on Wednesday, Doyle's conditioning is a concern.

The real test for all involved comes next.

© 2007 The Irish Times

geysir
26/03/2007, 12:23 PM
He's still peeved by Dunne:)

NeilMcD
26/03/2007, 12:50 PM
Occasion should inspire home victory

Brian Kerr Soccer analyst : Unless Ireland pick up six points from these two games our interests in qualifying will all but disintegrate, ensuring we become bit-part players for the remaining group fixtures. A situation Ireland have not encountered since the 1986 World Cup qualifying campaign.

That's a depressing regression of over 20 years.

Despite the fact that we gained seven points from the last three games, six of these were against San Marino. Irrelevant.

What is now required is a repeat of the Czech Republic performance. It's a similar build-up. The media and public are seeking a blood-letting after the San Marino disaster. Player commitment is under scrutiny.

The rugby matches have taken some weight off the significance of playing in Croke Park but I still expect a genuine sense of occasion this afternoon.

While it's a unique game for anyone interested in Irish soccer, unfortunately, unlike the rugby situation where the team is in good health and a healthy level of expectancy exists, we are at a low ebb.

There was a misjudged risk taken at the fixtures meeting before this campaign when the FAI and Steve Staunton agreed to play the first two qualifiers away from home. A silly decision especially considering a new squad was being facilitated by an inexperienced manager. It proved disastrous as we lost to Germany and Cyprus.

The team and managements are in a backs-against-the-wall scenario today. They must achieve something more tangible than the, albeit, morale boosting draw with the Czechs. That was a weakened Irish team who stepped up admirably on the night. Besides the absence of the two Reids, Andy and Steven, this will be a full-strength line-up.

As this is the strongest side Staunton has fielded, the wriggle room for excuses is getting tighter.

Looking at the event from a historical viewpoint, I don't envisage the players shredding any tears during the anthems (like big John Hayes against England) or becoming overly emotional at all.

Unlike the rugby team the footballers don't live amongst their community. The downside of living abroad is they sometimes fail to grasp the importance of it all. The rugby team, again a valid contrast, admitted to being swallowed up by the enormity of the hype-machine leading into the French game. It impacted negatively on the performance. But the bubble inhabited by British-based players is actually of benefit as their remoteness should ensure a greater focus on individual duties.

Many of the starting XI have experienced a similar environment before as Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Ian Harte, Kevin Kilbane and Steve Finnan all featured at the 2002 World Cup.

The rest of the team are hardly short of maturity either. Just look at the consistency of Kevin Doyle at Reading.

Keane, as captain, really needs to produce a quality performance on a level of his recent Tottenham form. Granted, international level is full of scheming defenders so Robbie will always be well marked.

I was disappointed to hear the criticism by Richard Dunne this week. Particularly as he was a player whose career I helped to advance at underage level. Unfortunately, his complaints about visiting hospitals on the day prior to games and complaints about excessive team meetings are inaccurate and unimpressive.

The comments are typical of the malaise that afflicts the majority of modern-day soccer players (not all of the Irish team I must say).

It's a shame that they resent taking 25 minutes out of a day to visit sick people in hospital or attend an occasional team meeting that interferes with their PlayStation or pool table games.

In my first year as Ireland manager after two hospital visits we abandoned any further trips due to the whinging of some squad members. But anything seems to go these days.

The team? Only the manager, and those really close to him, know the complete form of the squad - if they are doing their jobs properly - so the selection should be respected.

What we are yet to see is a Staunton style of play. A developed pattern. Due to injuries, he was forced to adopt a 4-5-1 system against the Czechs but that proved effective on the night due to individual's enthusiasm to make it work. That's what it always comes back to really. Player motivation.

The 4-4-2 is his preferred choice, even away to Germany, where, again, it was effective. Nothing worked against Cyprus in an unacceptable performance. At least the midfield balance was realigned thereafter with Lee Carsley coming back from the cold. Stephen Ireland still requires a hunter gatherer alongside him.

The Welsh are missing several key players in Danny Gabbidon, Mark Delaney, Jason Koumas and Robbie Earnshaw. Their squad depth is poor so those stepping in are not up to much. I'd expect John Toshack to employ a 4-5-1 formation with the mercurial Craig Bellamy looking to test the positional senses of John O'Shea and Dunne. He'll also drift right to expose Harte's lack of pace. As will Simon Davies.

Ryan Giggs will play off Bellamy in a creative role. It's good that such a fine player is gracing the first soccer international at Croke Park. The much sought after Southampton defender Gareth Bale is another decent prospect.

Toshack is a wise tactician who has spent enough time in Ireland to have a decent insight into the Irish players. He will have specifically designed plans to curtail the influence of Keane and Duff.

There were three friendly's against the Welsh throughout the 1990s under Jack Charlton and they all descended into scrappy battles more typical of an English division one encounter than international football. Granted, the Croke Park surface is of a better quality than Tolka, the RDS and Lansdowne but player familiarity will constrict against an open entertaining game.

With the occasion that's in it, and the historical connotations, Ireland can generate enough inspiration to win.

Or they will simply have too much quality for the Welsh. Either way nothing short of victory will satisfy the loyalty of the Irish public.
© 2007 The Irish Times

eirebhoy
26/03/2007, 1:00 PM
Kevin Hunt added a dash and vigour that must leave him close to a starting place on Wednesday.
Is Kevin Hunt eligible? ;)

Qwerty
26/03/2007, 1:02 PM
It doesn't feel quite right that Kerr is involved in analyzing the current team so soon after he was manager. McCarthy was over for the weekend and when interviewed he said he wasn't here to talk about the team just to cheer them on. Class.