PDA

View Full Version : eL players you consider good enough for Ireland

half_full
20/03/2007, 4:28 PM
the Club vs country poll got me thinking...I certainly feel no attachment with the current irish squads but i would if they contained eL players (i voted club, the Blues just come first no team would ever come before them for me, simple as)

i just think that the vast majority of irish players who are english and scottish based or incredibley over-rated (thank you sky:rolleyes: ) and a good few eL players would do as good a job (as seen with recent transfers to england e.g. stephen ward)

so what eL players do people consider good enough to play/be in a competitive irish squad?
i.e. not just making up the numbers in a meaningless friendly

surely players like Ollie Cahill, Owen Heary, Michael Divine, Glen Crowe (when hes on form), Gary O'Neill etc. are good enough imo for a callup/start

apoligies if this has been discussed before, im new:o

pete
20/03/2007, 5:11 PM
No LOI players will get callups by Staunton or the next manager. Play a few games in the SPL or Championship & then the exact same players are considered... :(

half_full
20/03/2007, 5:14 PM
unfortunatley true pete:(

hopefully wales will do the business saturday and then its by by stan and john:)

finnpark
20/03/2007, 5:34 PM
surely players like Ollie Cahill, Owen Heary, Michael Divine, Glen Crowe (when hes on form), Gary O'Neill etc. are good enough imo for a callup/start

Owen Heary is almost good enough but he is nowhere near as good as Finnan or Carr. Devine's form has been poor of late. He looks over weight and unfit. Brian Murphy of Bohs has the looks of becoming the top keeper here I think.

Glen Crowe was dropped from the Shels team last year. Im not sure what your basing that on. Im sure he will be on the Bohs bench soon enough. Gary O'Neill was 3rd choice striker last season at Shels for most of the start.

I think that none of the Eircom leagues players are good enough but are probably on a par with the current ones. I mean Paul McShane, Wayne Henderson etc would find it hard to make many Eircom sides. I think Ollie Cahill would probably do better than Duff or Kilbane but he is still not good enough.

The best players in LOI for Stan would be Jason Gavin, Neil Fenn, Mark Farren, Barry Molloy, Stuart Byrne. IMO Stuart Byrne is the most gifted and hard working player in the league. He has everything a good midfielder requires but he probably is till only on a par with Lee Carsley. So no, I dont think Eircom players would make a difference to the Irish squad.

finnpark
20/03/2007, 5:37 PM
No LOI players will get callups by Staunton or the next manager. Play a few games in the SPL or Championship & then the exact same players are considered... :(

In fairness Steve Staunton's selections methods across the board leave a lot to be desired. How he picks Wayne Henderson who was dropped due to poor form from an English Division 3 side is behond me.

half_full
20/03/2007, 5:42 PM
sorry finnpark, maybe didnt make myself clear

i ment players that are as good as the current irish selections

finnpark
20/03/2007, 7:52 PM
sorry finnpark, maybe didnt make myself clear

i ment players that are as good as the current irish selections

Well I dont think there would be a problem getting them. I would be pretty confident of Wexford Youths beating San Marino in San Marino by more than 1 goal. There are no players in Ireland as good as Given, Finnan, Carr, Dunne, McGeady, Hunt, Doyle. Outside them the rest could be touch and go on current form.

I think Gavin should get a call up because they could do with him. Stuart Byrne is getting old. I think Barry Molloy would do a good squad job. The problem with home based players is that they lack big game experience and their physical side are also inferior.

dublin15bohs
20/03/2007, 9:28 PM
Jason Gavin, Owen Heary, Joe Gamble and Brian Murphy.

TheBoss
20/03/2007, 9:30 PM
In fairness Steve Staunton's selections methods across the board leave a lot to be desired. How he picks Wayne Henderson who was dropped due to poor form from an English Division 3 side is behond me.

He is with Preston now

SligoBrewer
20/03/2007, 9:54 PM
keith foy! :D

foyzer 4 ireland!lol

OneRedArmy
20/03/2007, 10:04 PM
keith foy! :D

foyzer 4 ireland!lolI swear I heard him go beep beep every time Deery turned him on Saturday.

SligoBrewer
20/03/2007, 10:08 PM
I swear I heard him go beep beep every time McCourt turned him on Saturday.

McCourt??

Considering he was in the Stands:rolleyes: ON SUNDAY!:rolleyes:

paudie
20/03/2007, 10:16 PM
joe gamble would be another

Not on this season or last season's form unfortunately.

I think Mick Devine is definitely better than Colgan or Henderson.

Not many EL players come to mind as being good enough for the int;l squad but then again I never thought Kevin Doyle was good enough for the Premiership.

Jerry The Saint
20/03/2007, 10:18 PM

I've seen this said a lot on here but how true is it really:confused: If this was the thinking, why wasn't Ward called up? Why was Byrne picked when he was with Shels but not now that he's with Cardiff?

None of the players who went to the UK in the close season are in the squad. Players who went to the SPL especially seem to have very little likelihood of being called up (e.g. Foran, Hoolahan, Hunt)

What were the main examples that led to this view? Doyle and Long are the obvious ones but Doyle didn't actually make his Ireland debut until 8 months after he joined Reading.

Far be it from me to stick up for Staunton but I don't know if it's justified in this case. You'd be hard pressed to know what's behind any of his decisions to be honest.

OneRedArmy
20/03/2007, 10:21 PM
McCourt??

Considering he was in the Stands:rolleyes: ON SUNDAY!:rolleyes:You must be seeing things...I said Deery.:D

Anyway, you've ruined the joke now.

On a serious note, I thought Foy was brutal on Saturday. His passing, his only attribute, wasn't up to much.

The fella you brought on for him had also been to the pie shop when I think about it.

SligoBrewer
20/03/2007, 10:24 PM
u edited it rapidly.. i seen it first :D

what was the beep beep thing about?

Risteard
21/03/2007, 12:05 AM
Devine and Heary are good enough but no point calling them up at this stage.
Gambles standards have slipped a little over the last 18 months but he misses George i'd say. When he gets Farrelly and Healy in front of him, he could return to contention.
I think Gavin and possibly Barry Ryan should be called up. Deery is up against some good players and this year will be crucial for Roy O Donovan.

I haven't seen Drogs much but a few years ago i thought Webb could solve the left back problem. A pity Stephen Bradley seems to have fallen by the wayside.
He's warming the bench now, isn't he?

pixiehead
21/03/2007, 12:24 AM
Shane Barrett if he Could have Kept up last years performances:confused:

McShels
21/03/2007, 8:56 AM
Does Divine qualify to play for Ireland? On a similar thread on the Shels forum last year it was thought that he doesn't qualify.

I also said last year that while Heary IMO is deserving of a call up he wouldn't get one due to his age, but that said I disagree with finnpark and I think that Heary is better than Carr who has been going backwards the last couple of seasons mainly due to injuries and as for Finnan he hasn't played well for Ireland since winning the CL with Liverpool 2 years ago.

For me O'Donovan is the one player who should get a call up.

pete
21/03/2007, 9:35 AM
Henderson is a bench player for Preston - that says it all about Ireland squad selections.

Krstic
21/03/2007, 9:36 AM
Lads in my opinion, kevin Deery isn't even good enough to play for Derry City never mind Ireland.
He's the most over rated player on this planet, and has been living off a few wonder goals.

From the Derry set up I'd say only Barry Molloy is anywhere near good enough to play for Ireland (although not based on his performance last night)

galwayhoop
21/03/2007, 10:10 AM
i don't think that 'duh gaffer' will pick any eL players but bearing in mind the ease of transition of players from the eL to both england and scotland players in the eL should definately be at least considered for our 'problem positions' i.e. LB and CM. with this in mind who are the best LB and CM in the eL and are they good enough?

Ceirtlis
21/03/2007, 12:46 PM
bearing in mind the ease of transition of players from the eL to both england and scotland players in the eL
I think you are over stating how good the el players abroad have actually done here. The top goalscorer in the el Jason Byrne from the last 4 seasons is still only a sub with Cardiff who only have one main striker (he was a subbed sub at the weekend). The player of the league from 2 years ago is a sub George O'Callaghan with Ipswich who are very much mid-table. Of the boys that went to Motherwell Danny Murphy is the only one to have made an impression on the first team and Bobby Ryan got taken off at half time in one game and has rarely been seen since. I dont want to be negative here, there have been a few success stories, Stephen Ward, Daryl Murphy(last year i know),Sean Dillon and Colin Hawkins have played regularly but i would be very disappointed if at least a few players didnt make it. What people must remember that all clubs in the english leagues and scottish league and have been full-time for a long time and that the eircom prem is just under half part-time. The conference division probably has a greater ratio of full-time sides.

Dodge
21/03/2007, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't have any one of the national side's midfield ahead of Keith Fahey at the moment. Gareth Farrelly and Alan Moore both wona fair few caps for Ireland and came into the LOI at a decent age and both looked out of their depth.

Da Real Rover
21/03/2007, 2:26 PM
Our keeper last year was more than capable for an international call up, imo one of the best keepers in the league and didnt get enough credit he deserved.

hoggy
21/03/2007, 2:39 PM
Does Divine qualify to play for Ireland? On a similar thread on the Shels forum last year it was thought that he doesn't qualify.

No, he doesn't. Cobh declared independence a few years back. :D

galwayhoop
21/03/2007, 2:41 PM
No, he doesn't. Cobh declared independence a few years back. :D

are they a breakaway from the 'Peoples Republic of Cork' or do they come under its rule?

Jerry The Saint
21/03/2007, 2:45 PM
I wouldn't have any one of the national side's midfield ahead of Keith Fahey at the moment. Gareth Farrelly and Alan Moore both wona fair few caps for Ireland and came into the LOI at a decent age and both looked out of their depth.

I think the problem with players like Fahey (and O'Callaghan) is that they're not going to be able to impose themselves in a major international fixture and are unlikely to be able to play their usual game. Barry Ryan is probably a more realistic shout.

michaelguineys
21/03/2007, 2:52 PM
they are most definitely break away!!!

Cluba06
21/03/2007, 3:17 PM
iv seen a few matches live on tv setanta cup included and went to matches in dublin and drog and i have to say that the standard of play has been quite poor of late so i feel no players deserve to be near called up at the moment maybe when the league progresses a wee bit and the players get into the swing of things

Dodge
21/03/2007, 3:57 PM
iv seen a few matches live on tv setanta cup included and went to matches in dublin and drog and i have to say that the standard of play has been quite poor of late so i feel no players deserve to be near called up at the moment maybe when the league progresses a wee bit and the players get into the swing of things

It should be pointed out that these games are the first of our season. And whatever about the standard, there's nobody can make me change my mind that Ireland have a better midfielder than Keith Fahey at the moment (and on last years form Fahey would be behind Gamble, Molloy, Martyn and Byrne plus a couple others maybe) This year, already, he's been sensational.

Jerry, none of them are realistic. Not a hope in hell of a LOI player being called up when we have the sub keeper for the u21s being called up ahead of the first choice u21 keeper because he plays for Charlton reserves and not UCD

pete
21/03/2007, 4:00 PM
they are most definitely break away!!!

They are Kosovo to our Serbia. :D

I think all the eL players to move abroad this close season came from fulltime positions in largely fulltime clubs.

The SPL is hopeless & the Championship is varying standard. The best of the crop went to the Championship & I think few top eL players will move to the SPl preferring to stay in the eL and wait for Championship opportunity if it arrives...

monutdfc
21/03/2007, 4:08 PM
Gareth Farrelly and Alan Moore both wona fair few caps for Ireland and came into the LOI at a decent age and both looked out of their depth.
I'd disagree with that Dodge. When fit (which was not very often) Farrelly was as good as if not better than any midfielder in the league.

Dominic Foley looked like the worst player in the league when he first arrived, but when he realised he couldn't coast it in the league and started applyinig himself he was outstanding.

Rory H
21/03/2007, 4:16 PM
in this league new players emerge every year that look good enough,most of the last crop are in england now so the new crop will be coming on...already from what ive seen this season the galway and cork left backs look like they could make it.....

TheBoss
21/03/2007, 4:33 PM
McCourt??

Considering he was in the Stands:rolleyes: ON SUNDAY!:rolleyes:

He has played 1 game for the Northern Ireland Team ;)

bellavistaman
21/03/2007, 5:09 PM
i honestly think john o flynn at his 100% best is good enough. mick devine overweight? what does that make paddy kenny?

Dodge
21/03/2007, 8:09 PM
I'd disagree with that Dodge. When fit (which was not very often) Farrelly was as good as if not better than any midfielder in the league.

Dominic Foley looked like the worst player in the league when he first arrived, but when he realised he couldn't coast it in the league and started applyinig himself he was outstanding.

I'll admit Foley was decent at the finish but seen Farrelly play a few times and think he played well once. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, just wouldn't pick him ahead of Byrne, Martyn etc

Nobody going to try defend Moore :p

LeixlipRed
22/03/2007, 11:54 AM
Moore on his day was excellent. He just wasn't bothered against Pats or anyone who wasn't one of the top teams. Remember when you used to be ****? :D

Risteard
23/03/2007, 12:17 AM
I'd expect Colin Healy to get another irish cap at some stage.

Dodge
23/03/2007, 12:27 AM
I'd expect Colin Healy to get another irish cap at some stage.

He shouldn't have got one in the first place. Ridiculously slow for a professional footballer

Dodge
23/03/2007, 8:54 AM
Well football's about opinions. And I think Healy was too slow

Flawless
26/03/2007, 1:16 AM
Henderson is a bench player for Preston - that says it all about Ireland squad selections.

I know its off-topic, but Andrew Lonergan, Prestons number one is also eligible for Ireland!!,Stan could consider himtoo!!

Also agree with monutdfc, i think farrelly was possibly the best midfielder in the league when fit!!

I remember him best for scoring an unbelievable goal for Bolton Vs Arsenal in the Premiership though!!

As For the person who asked was Mick Devine eligible to play for Ireland, Isnt he from Cobh?,surely that means hes as Irish as any of us!!

BohsPartisan
26/03/2007, 8:05 AM
I think at this stage it might be a shorter thread if it asked which EL players weren't good enough for Ireland!

feo123
26/03/2007, 8:33 AM
Seamus Coleman!
watch this space