Cobh v Limerick 35

Byes: Cork City & Kerry League

Group 1
Finn Harps vs Fanad
Monaghan vs Galway

Byes: Derry & Sligo

KildareFan
20/03/2007, 1:25 PM
Can somebody clear up exactly how this works? Take Kildare for example, if we beat UCD, we would then face either, shels, pats, or the winners of the Bohs v Bray game. So two teams come out of each group into an open draw for the quarter finals?

Lim till i die
20/03/2007, 1:30 PM
Group 2
Waterford v Wexford
Cobh v Limerick 35

Any idea who Limerick37 got?? :p

Danny
20/03/2007, 1:33 PM
Can somebody clear up exactly how this works? Take Kildare for example, if we beat UCD, we would then face either, shels, pats, or the winners of the Bohs v Bray game. So two teams come out of each group into an open draw for the quarter finals?

Going by how it worked last year, if you beat UCD, you play either shels or pats. Then the 1/4 final will be an open draw, BUT with the FAI you never know

dcfcsteve
20/03/2007, 2:26 PM
The majority of the byes are for strong teams !

I'm assuming these were selected at random - though it does seem a bit un-random, if you catch my drift...

passinginterest
20/03/2007, 2:27 PM
Interesting to see that the winners of the league cup will play off with the winners of the first division for a place in the Setanta. Should add some value to the competition. Story on Breaking News.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=MHAUCWSNEYCW).

passinginterest
20/03/2007, 2:29 PM
I've just noticed something in that article.

Does Shelbournes bye suggest that they will be participating in the champions league?

Schumi
20/03/2007, 2:32 PM

I'm assuming these were selected at random - though it does seem a bit un-random, if you catch my drift...Teams in Europe get a bye automatically.

passinginterest
20/03/2007, 2:43 PM
I'd like to point this out again -

Five clubs received byes due to participation in the 2007 Setanta Sports Cup or qualification for European competition.

Those five clubs were: Derry City, Cork City, Drogheda United, St. Patrick’s Athletic and Shelbourne.

OneRedArmy
20/03/2007, 2:43 PM
I've just noticed something in that article.

Does Shelbournes bye suggest that they will be participating in the champions league?
It leaves it open that they may participate. UEFA license to be decided by end March AFAIK.

I'm not convinced Shels the club (as opposed to the fans) even want to play in Europe given the likelihood of an embarrassing result on top of signficant costs nor do I suspect the FAI want the good work re the coefficient over the past few years undone, but stranger things have happened.

Sam_Heggy
20/03/2007, 2:44 PM

I'm assuming these were selected at random - though it does seem a bit un-random, if you catch my drift...

kilkenny , Kerry League ?? :p
ah only messin bud, hope we get ye in d next round at finn park :cool:

Poor Student
20/03/2007, 4:33 PM
I see Fanad are a new entry and Mayo League have disappeared. A couple of interesting ties in there. Athlone v Longford might draw a decent crowd with the new ground and close proximity. Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk looks to be the tie of the round. What week is this scheduled for?

Mr A
20/03/2007, 4:38 PM
I think as Mayo have left the U21 league that Fanad have been invited in as Ulster Senior League Champions.

hoopy
20/03/2007, 4:47 PM
Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk looks to be the tie of the round. What week is this scheduled for?

Easter Monday afaik

Mark Breen
21/03/2007, 8:56 AM
It leaves it open that they may participate. UEFA license to be decided by end March AFAIK.

I'm not convinced Shels the club (as opposed to the fans) even want to play in Europe given the likelihood of an embarrassing result on top of signficant costs nor do I suspect the FAI want the good work re the coefficient over the past few years undone, but stranger things have happened.

Trust me OneRedArmy, The Majority of shels fan's i know don't want to participate in the CL and would rather Derry compete to preserve the leagues good european points (which Shels more than helped inprove over the years)

pineapple stu
21/03/2007, 12:43 PM
Going by how it worked last year, if you beat UCD, you play either shels or pats.
Or the winners of Bohs v Bray, I think.

DmanDmythDledge
21/03/2007, 12:45 PM
Easter Monday afaik
It's the week before Easter, beginning the 2nd.

pineapple stu
21/03/2007, 12:45 PM
Rovers game and one other are put back a week for some reason.

Dodge
21/03/2007, 12:48 PM
It was the Bohs game. Rovers and Bohs game to be played that week I think...

Raheny Red
21/03/2007, 6:20 PM
Trust me OneRedArmy, The Majority of shels fan's i know don't want to participate in the CL and would rather Derry compete to preserve the leagues good european points (which Shels more than helped inprove over the years)

The majority I have spoken want Shels in it, myself included. Mainly due to the reason that it's gonna be the last one for a very long time!

Mark Breen
22/03/2007, 12:38 PM
The majority I have spoken want Shels in it, myself included. Mainly due to the reason that it's gonna be the last one for a very long time!

Look's like we speak to different people then,

Anyway we'll all know soon enough

charliesboots
22/03/2007, 1:14 PM
Anybody else really disappointed they didn't draw Shels? Always the next round I suppose.