PDA

View Full Version : Bazza player of the month

Schumi
10/01/2003, 3:20 PM
And well deserved too.

From FAI (http://www.fai.ie) website.

UCD goalkeeper Barry Ryan has been selected as the eircom/Soccer Writers Association of Ireland player of the month for December.

Ryan was chosen after a terrific month, during which he did not concede a single goal as he helped UCD to victories against Shamrock Rovers, Derry City and Longford Town to ease the Students' relegation worries. Perhaps it was no coincidence that when UCD lost 2-0 to Shelbourne, Ryan was absent through suspension.

Ennis-born Ryan made his first-team debut in the 1996/97 season but that was his only league appearance that season and he had just one run out the following season as well. But his big chance came when Shay Kelly joined Cardiff City in the summer of 1998, which allowed him to establish himself as first choice.

Ryan's development as a talented keeper - he was called into the Irish under-21 squad at one stage - offset the loss of Kelly. And while his form was erratic at times in the past, he has now added consistency to his game to become arguably the best keeper in the eircom League this season. Certainly, he has more clean sheets than anyone else - ten in 23 games.

Ryan, 24, has now made a total of 156 eircom League appearances.

CollegeTillIDie
12/01/2003, 4:59 PM
This is actually Barry's second Player of the Month Award win this season. Barry won the National League United Player of the Month Award for November 2002. But as NLU have been experiencing difficulty getting any coverage in the media lately this is probably the first any one outside NLU has heard about it .
Anyway well done Bazza well deserved

@ndy
13/01/2003, 1:17 PM
Is that what it was? I thought it was a sports writers award...the one he got at the rovers game...or has he gotten 3?

@ndy
13/01/2003, 1:20 PM
Is that what it was? I thought it was a sports writers award...the one he got at the rovers game...or has he gotten 3?

CollegeTillIDie
14/01/2003, 2:04 AM
@ndy

Yes it was the award presented at the Rovers game. I was unable to attend so my colleague at NLU who happens to be a Rovers fan, Martin Keating did the honours on that Occasion.

By the way for the record the December winner is Cork City's John O'Flynn and he will receive his award on Friday night at Richmond Pk.

CollegeTillIDie

@ndy
15/01/2003, 2:07 PM
Good man Dec...hehe

Keepin it real for the student massive. Yeah that was a pity with the award, we all missed the presentation aswell, but stephens mate got a nice pic of it on digital which he has failed to email me since :@. Anyhow, will bazza be presented this award on Friday (apologies if this has already been mentioned above...i'm lazy!)

I'm off work on Friday lads so i'm hopin to make a day of it..somehow when we have a few pre match pints the atmosphere at belfield is always much better hehe :P

A.

CollegeTillIDie
15/01/2003, 5:58 PM
@ndy

Bazza received our award at the Rovers match. The Soccer Writers is usually presented at a function they organise. If you have a pic or know someone who does of the NLU presentation could you e-mail it to me please and maybe also to Diarmuid so he can put it into the program at some point ?

Great if you could

See ya Friday

CollegeTill I Die

p.s. Where was the support last night at the Under 21 Dr Tony O'Neill Cup Quarter-final V BOhs in Dalymount admission price sod all ? I was there the lads
played well and should have won but lost 1-0

Aberdonian Stu
15/01/2003, 7:58 PM
You live on the Northside!...although techincally it's easier for us to get there with the No. 10. I didn't know about it until around full time.

There are three awards being presented on Friday, and for once we're giving real trophies.

Bazza gets Player of the season...which will hopefully be presented by @ndy.

Robbie Doyle gets New player of the season...which will no longer be presented by his primary schoolmate Henry as Mr. Bridge accurately reckons we'll slag him all night. We need someone to do that now.

Theo Dunne gets the Lifetime achievement award...which I'd like to present if that's ok with the rest of you.

And we can all thank pineapple stu for sorting out the trophies.

Schumi
16/01/2003, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by Aberdonian Stu
And we can all thank pineapple stu for sorting out the trophies. I'll be heading off to pick them up in a few minutes.