PDA

View Full Version : Dave Langan Testimonial Petition

Irish Ox
18/03/2007, 8:13 PM
Some of you may have noticed, in the Sunday Times Football Ireland section, a short piece about some Irish-based Oxford United fans (I'm one of the "small number" mentioned!) organising a petition to hopefully persuade our club to hold a testimonial for Dave Langan - the best right back in the history of our club and a star for Ireland on many occasions too.

Sadly, Dave's post-footballing life has been blighted by the injuries he picked up while playing the game, as relayed in the two articles from Irish papers/magazines repeated below (the second appeared in The Village Magazine). I apologise for the length of this post!

Could you please sign the petition at the following link, and encourage all of your friends to do likewise.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/LanganTestimonial/

Many Thanks

Dying Breed

The Sunday Times’ Denis Walsh drew a poignant parallel between Stephen Carr’s indulgent international retirement and the sort of selfless commitment to his country’s cause that has left former Republic full-back Dave Langan registered disabled and on the breadline.

The then Birmingham defender, against his club’s wishes, forfeited a week’s wages to play in a World Cup qualifier against France in Dublin in 1981, badly injuring his knee but refusing to go off, playing on through the pain. The after-effects - including a dozen operations - have almost crippled him.

Langan recently recalled how “just playing for your country was an awesome thing. When you put on that green shirt... well, you just wanted to die for it”.

I Was Just Unlucky
Friday, 16 September 2005

'I was just unlucky. Just very unlucky. I can't just sit and mope about it. When the pain from the back gets that bad, sometimes I wish I was dead. It just goes through your mind because you're in so much pain'

Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon the heart.
– Aeschylus

The trophy cabinet is all that's left. It sits in the family home, his mother's pride, in a prominent place in the living room. There are the Ireland international caps – 26 in all, the medals and trophies from his Cherry Orchard schoolboy days, the Milk Cup medal with Oxford, the League winner's medal when they won the old Division Two and the there are the three Player of the Year trophies from his time at Derby, Birmingham and Oxford.

He was a football man, was Dave. The model pro who put football before everything. He was a footballer's man too. Gave you 110 per cent every time. Never shirked or moaned. Got stuck in and if he got it in return, well, he just dusted himself down and got back up – the pain would subside soon enough. But sometimes you can give too much. Like a boxer who's put himself through too many rounds and seen the heat of battle too often. There's only so many knocks a man can take.

And the biggest one – he thought – was giving up the game. When it's all you live for and it's taken away in a cruel injury-hit manner, what have you got left? Some try their hand at management or coaching, others for punditry and media work while some find other worthwhile parts of their life to live out.

Dave Langan, though, was caught in no-man's land. He had been in the trenches with team-mates at various clubs and various times and he had given blood, sweat and tears for the cause. But when forced to go over the barricades and face what life had to offer when the game was gone, he looked back and found the battle-field empty. His colleagues were nowhere to be seen and alone he faced up to life's onslaught, forever unable to tear himself away from what he gave and suffered in return. Life, when the game is gone, is one aching reminder of a previous life and how so much can be taken away.

The crippling joints? Sacrifice for the Irish cause. Days laid up in bed with horrific back pain? Helping to win the League Cup. Cracked veterbrae? Ensuring League survival. Feeling bone rub against bone as you struggle to the shop? More than 15 years of doing your best for the game.

Giving your all for the team and the club, making sure it was the team result that mattered and not your own personal well-being. Where does that get you? A wall of silence from the clubs when you ask for their help. Football moves on and just doesn't want to know. Some try to help in what small way they can. Former international team-mates appearing gratis at fundraiser events or the PFA giving something towards operations and rehab and medical bills. When you're a registered cripple and struggling to get out of bed it's hard enough – never mind trying to make a meagre living from caretaker work at Peterborough Town Hall.

When life kicks you in the nuts you try your best to get up again and have another go. When you have to have epidural injections because the back pain is so bad, when ice-packs have to be permanently on both your knees and when you're stuck in bed staring up at the peeling paint on the old ceiling above you, it becomes harder still to keep getting back up.

Dave Langan is only 48. But he feels as if time has been much longer for him. He's only been out of the game 16 years but it feels like a lifetime. Instead it feels like the 12th round in this fight for Dave. Not yet 50. An ex-footballer who can barely walk and barely earn a living – it wasn't meant to be this way.

Childhood was carefree and easy and he became the chosen one, the local kid picked to go to England as a footballer and who would go on to star for Ireland. Now though the carefree, happier days are gone and all that's left is anxiety and prayers.

"I think I've aged my mother years with all the worry. She's awful worried about me. She's 78 now but she goes down to Mass every Saturday to St Johns Lane where Father O'Shaughnessy gets special requests and she's always getting mass done for me you know, praying that I'll get better."

Better. We hope for better thinking we'll get a pay-rise or go on a holiday abroad. A better job or better house. For Dave Langan, better is being able to walk to the shop without pain. Or having new knees put in, or for the excruciating back pain to finally go away. But better isn't a miracle either.

Better, though, would be knowing you will have money to pay for the bills at the end of the month, or that a dignified living could be earned somehow despite his injuries.

There's the scandal of his testimonial as well. Twenty-six international caps won – one past the 25 required for a testimonial at the time. And then the FAI go and up the determinant to 50 caps and then later to 75 caps. Gone in a flash any hopes harboured for one last big day out, one last chance to say goodbye and thanks, thanks for helping pay the bills for the next few years. For most ex-players, their testimonial swan-song was an opportunity to put a little something extra into the bank account, a nice little earner before heading off into the sunset. For Dave Langan, it could make the difference between surviving past the bread-line a while longer and being able to walk without pain again by getting new knees. The FAI have helped in the past he says, and they have tried for him, but there has been no sign of them waiving the rules on this occasion.

Dave won't push them on it, "I think those days are gone. Their point was if they give one to me they'd have to give one to an awful lot more."

Dave won't play the martyr's card though.

"I was just unlucky. Just very unlucky. I have to get on it. I can't just sit and mope about it. I have to keep going. I can't just give up. When the pain from the back gets that bad, some stupid thoughts go through your head. Sometimes I wish I was dead and gone you know but it just goes through your mind because you're in so much pain. I've been laid up in bed just lying there, just thinking…"

Life was great for 15 years when Dave fulfilled a boyhood dream of playing professional football. Yet, every footballer's life must begin again when the boots are hung up. The difference was that for Dave Langan, starting again meant being a cripple and impoverished.

If you walk the streets of Ringsend, you'll hear them talk of a great local lad who went on to win cups and leagues in England and caps for Ireland. His mother could invite you in and tell you all about the football life of Dave Langan. Then you'd be taken into the living-room where stands the gleaming trophy cabinet. It's a big cabinet that his Dad bought years ago to put all his trophies and medals in and still commands pride of place in the Langan house.

But now it's all that's left for a man who lies crippled in a bed in a house in Peterborough.

Noelys Guitar
18/03/2007, 11:39 PM
Christ. I met Dave Langan when he was in his prime. The FAI or even this site should look into organising a benefit for David. Fans favourite when he played. Loved his atitude. Count me in.

geysir
19/03/2007, 8:33 AM
It's sad to read that article. You don't hear enough about players like Davy Langan. He was so solid and had all the qualities in abundance that you'd want from a right back. He could sprint down the line as fast as Heighway, leave defenders on their árse, with the crowd roaring like mad and get in the cross travelling at top speed an inch from the end line. After that injury in that classic game against France he didn't play much for us. He recovered enough to play league football. I think he played for Oxford at the same time as Aldo.

Irish Ox
19/03/2007, 12:44 PM
Dave was actually the guy who alerted Jack Charlton to both John Aldridge and Ray Houghton, who were both playing with him at Oxford Utd at the time, back in our glory days. (We're now in the Conference!)

If you're too young to remember Dave as a player, or just want to see the high esteem in which he is held by all who watched him (and/or know him as a person), then click on the signatures part of the petition website and you can take a poignant trip down memory lane.

Thanks to all those who have already signed and if you haven't yet, please just take a minute to do so.

The Legend
19/03/2007, 7:29 PM
I will, mainly cause when I think of Stephen Carr versus this poor fella!

Superhoops
19/03/2007, 8:50 PM
There was a thread on this here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=18864&highlight=david+langan) back in October 2004. I know I and several others strongly supported it. No one who has ever worn the green jersey is more deserving of such a benefit than David Langan.

Irish Ox
19/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the earlier thread Superhoops. Did anything come of the previous campaign?

I know that the idea was also discussed historically by Oxford Utd fans but until last year we were owned by a chairman who cared little for the club (that's an understatement but I won't bore you with the details) and under whom there was no prospect of anything happening.

The reason why a campaign is being launched by Oxford fans this season is that under our caring new owner and with Jim Smith as manager (who also managed Dave at the club in the 80's and at Birmingham), a well-deerved testimonial (against a Chelsea 11) was recently granted to a long-serving club stalwart - he retired from the game early through injury but has been involved with the youth set-up and as matchday compere for many years despite shabby treatment from the previous chairman.

That has raised hope that the club may see fit to grant a similar gesture to Dave Langan - even though he was only with us for about four seasons, we have never had a player more committed in a yellows shirt during my 30+ years of supporting them. And a gentleman to boot.

Obviously, the dream would be an Oxford vs Ireland match-up (from our perspective) and the guy behind the petition has been in touch with the organiser of the Birmingham event. But the first step will be to get the club to agree to satge a testimonial. It would be great if you could alert anyone involved in the previous campaign to this new initaitive as obviously the more signatures the better.

Ordinary Fan
20/03/2007, 3:48 PM
Did Eoin Hand not organise a benefit for David back in Mick McCarty early days as a Manager. It was in Tolka Park as a builf up to a qualifier?

But it was pooly advertised and only a few thousdand turned up for the game. It sticks in my mind as I was aware or Davies problems but only hear about the game at the subsequent international.

I was'nt aware of how badly he is still suffering, you have my support.

shamrock17
20/03/2007, 4:04 PM
the members of the midlands republic of ireland supporters arranged a benefit night a few years ago in birmingham the likes of frank stapleton john aldridge david kelly stan staunton kevin moran don given john giles and andy townsend to name a few plus several of the birmingham city players turned up to support the night it was a big success so im sure there would be plenty of backing to do a testimonial match.

Irish Ox
21/03/2007, 9:40 AM
Thanks for all the support lads and for signing the petition.

highlight100
21/03/2007, 11:25 PM
We could do with more of his like in our current team.

Irish Ox
22/03/2007, 5:53 PM
We're over 600 signatures now, but please keep them coming if you haven't already signed.

Many thanks again.

Irish Ox
23/03/2007, 3:11 PM
If you haven't already signed, please just take a minute to do so.

Irish Ox
27/03/2007, 3:06 PM
Forgive me for bumping this to the top, but just in case anyone has missed it, please take a minute to sign the petition if you haven't already done so.

Many Thanks

NY Hoop
27/03/2007, 3:17 PM
There was a benefit night in Ballyfermot in 2000 for Dave. I was pretty shocked at his condition. A mere shadow of the guy racing down the wing at Lansdowne.

Paul McGrath was there. If memory serves a right few quid was made on the night.

KOH

cheifo
28/03/2007, 3:49 PM
Eamon Sweeney(the journalist) recently wrote an article about his greatest
sporting memories.His favourite football memory was Davie Langan flicking the ball over Maradonas head and collecting it on the other side bringing a huge roar from the crowd(friendly against Argentina).Anybody witness this?.God life is unfair on some people.Petition signed.

Irish Ox
29/03/2007, 11:44 AM
Yes I remember the Argentina game and saw virtually every one of his 154 performances for Oxford during my teenage years - can't remember a single occasion when an opposing winger/midfielder got the better of him over the course of a game. And I can still vividly recall the surging run and twenty yard shot that sent us into what is now the Premiership.

NY Hoop - yes I'm aware that there have been other fund-raising events in the past, some in both Ireland and Britain (one in particular by Birmigham fans), but nothing at Oxford United, where he certainly deserves proper recognition.

Irish Ox
14/04/2007, 8:42 PM
Hi again guys - we're nearly up to 700 signatures now. Any more out there?

billybunter
15/04/2007, 2:34 AM
signed - i'm behind this 100%

Pauro 76
17/04/2007, 12:16 PM
Signed. dont agree with testimonials nowadays, but Dave Langan definitely deserves one, although ive never seen him play.