PDA

View Full Version : Youths 1-0 Cobh ....Our first victory !!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Chippy
18/03/2007, 5:03 PM
Cracking goal - huge crowd (2,000 +). Premier division here we come !!!!:) :) :)

Magicme
18/03/2007, 5:13 PM
Congrats....makes me less ashamed that we only drew with ya!

Tazskool
18/03/2007, 5:30 PM
I know!!! Wwoohooooo storming!! :)

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty time...

I am so proud!!

GuisaSaigon
18/03/2007, 5:47 PM
great result for ye, congrats!

Thunder-WYFC
18/03/2007, 6:01 PM
Just back,great result and great atmosphere

cmon de lads

brokenstar
18/03/2007, 6:09 PM
Just back meself... We're on our way! I have never been more proud to be from this town as I am right now. What a buzz lads!

Match report on Aertel too :)

Buller
18/03/2007, 6:10 PM
Wow well done! Great result. Was there a temporary stand in place? 2000 is a very crowd good hopefully theyll be back for more after a gilmpse of real football...

pineapple stu
18/03/2007, 6:12 PM
Great crowd alright. Although it's worth noting that Kildare got about 1500 at their first game, and had a Cup Final in thir fifth game or something. So it's a great start - the challenge now is to keep it that way!

Tazskool
18/03/2007, 6:18 PM
Taken from IrishfootballOnline.com
----
Wexford Youths marked their first ever home game in the eircom League of Ireland with a win at their new venue in Newcastle. Youths ran out 1-0 winners over Cobh Ramblers to leave Mick Wallace's side with four points from their opening two games, amongst the top four in the First Division.

Tom Elmes struck for the only goal of the game ten minutes into the second half to give the majority of the two thousand or so in attendance a dream start to the season.

The result leaves Cobh goal-less and point-less from their opening two games - the only team in the division who have failed to find the net in the first one hundred and eighty minutes of league action.
------

fc hammer
18/03/2007, 6:52 PM
you'd never know our clubs 1st meet'n could be a top of the table clash!!!!!!!!!!

Footsoldier
18/03/2007, 6:56 PM
What a fcuking buzz! I've spent the last hour or so trying to thaw out :)
That'll give everyone such a boost. The atmosphere was brilliant, even during that shower at half time that nearly froze my b@lls off. Sinnott for man of the match. Any thoughts?

ForzaWexford
18/03/2007, 6:58 PM
C'mon the Youths. Good start to the season!

Wow well done! Great result. Was there a temporary stand in place?

There's a temporary stand with 1000 seats.....presume it's going to be there for the season.

sligoman
18/03/2007, 7:00 PM
Fair fecks to ye! Delighted.

ForzaWexford
18/03/2007, 7:06 PM
Forgot to say I was impressed with the programme......the highlight of which was Mick's ending to his article on last weekend - after drawing with Monaghan and beating Waterford to get into the semi of the U-18 Interleague

Monday morning, a lovely calm, warm feeling. A bit like the aftermath of passionate sex.

Funny thing is the exact same article was in the local papers this week.....minus the closing statement!

Dodge
18/03/2007, 7:06 PM
Congrats. Great start

feo123
18/03/2007, 7:44 PM
over the moon for ye lads...well played and go out and enjoy the victory!

Thunder-WYFC
18/03/2007, 9:57 PM
MOM Marty Kelly without a shadow of a doubt!

dublin_owl
18/03/2007, 10:28 PM
I think I'm just about startin to thaw out. :)

Well done to our lads and the crowd too, top notch!
I'm off to bed to dream about our first UEFA cup match... :rolleyes:

new blue
18/03/2007, 10:50 PM
MOM-Marty Kelly for me. Some of the subs looked lively too.Sinnott very good again and keeper. Elmes took goal well.
What a day. What a feeling; absolutely brilliant!!

TheBoss
19/03/2007, 1:04 AM
Anyone know the bookings in the game ?

Needtoknow
19/03/2007, 1:33 AM
Well done lads, looking forward to playing ye on the 1st.:ball:

Terry
19/03/2007, 9:25 AM
Congrats to the youths and everyone at the club for yer first senior win, hopefully the team can keep up there momentum and ye have a cracking season.

Thunder-WYFC
19/03/2007, 9:40 AM
You there yesterday?

Tazskool
19/03/2007, 9:48 AM
Reading the full report on irishfootballonline.com this morning I get the feeling that we HAVE a 2nd keeper...

-----
Davin O'Neill had a host of good chances to at least level for the visitors. However, the combination of a good save from Jason Russell and a couple of wasteful finishes kept Wexford ahead.
-----

Now I have him down as a Midfielder and so does the Press Release...

Does this mean that Dunphy has picked up some sort of injury or something??

If anyone at the game can clarify this I'd be more than greatful..

CollegeTillIDie
19/03/2007, 10:05 AM
Well done Wexford. Both new clubs seem to have started well which can only be a good thing overall for the League.

Thunder-WYFC
19/03/2007, 10:06 AM
Russell is the first choice keeper and he made at least 2 top class saves yesterday and feilded the ball excellently+Dunphy is woeful

Grey Boy
19/03/2007, 10:41 AM
Well done W.Y. Great result. And what a crowd, over 2000.

I'm glad to hear Sinnotts playing well. Must say he wasn't too good for us. Was very suprised when Reading came in for him.

ForzaWexford
19/03/2007, 12:05 PM
Taz, Thunder is spot on - I'd imagine jason Russell will be the first choice keeper from now on. Dunphy hasn't even been in the matchday squad for the first 2 games.

Tir Oilean
19/03/2007, 12:09 PM
Well done lads great start to the season for ye long may it continue

YellowbellyRed
19/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Well done youths, glad to hear there was such a good crowd, particularly with the hurlers playing up the road. Hope to get to my first game soon.

wws
19/03/2007, 12:47 PM
great story
well done on the first win
hope u can keep the interest of the big crowd

frog-gufc
19/03/2007, 1:28 PM
well done boys, fair play, how have ye looked so far

passinginterest
19/03/2007, 2:24 PM
Must say it was a great day out. Great crowd considering the weather and the clash with the hurling.

Marty Kelly clear man of the match, good performances from Russell in goal, Sinnott and the two front men.

Overall Cobh probably had five good chances to Wexford's two but luck was with us on the day. The wind behind Cobh in the first half was incredible. The goal kick that went out for a corner just shows how bad it was. Second half was much better affair with far less wind. Overall Cobh certainly a bit hard done by not to get at least a point.

Managed to have a look inside the clubhouse too. Plans for the stand look very impressive.

Tazskool
19/03/2007, 2:38 PM
Any chance of some pics of the whole place and stand plans?

passinginterest
19/03/2007, 2:40 PM
I took a few Taz, I'm going to try get them up if I can.

passinginterest
19/03/2007, 2:43 PM
Didn't take any of the plans, but looks like a very modern design, with perspex ends to protect from the wind. Includes club shop etc. Only had a quick look because I wasn't supposed to be inside at all. There was a few tv cameras there too. Brian Kerr was being interviewed when I was inside. Not sure who had the cameras there though.

Poor Student
19/03/2007, 2:44 PM
Congratulations. I really feared for you after our friendly. Delighted to see you won't be content to make up the numbers.

Tazskool
19/03/2007, 2:58 PM
cool cool about the pics. I'm waiting :P lol..

Our season is looking good.. 2 games in and W1 D1 L0 .. wonder what odds the bookies have to have a win next match? lol.

Sunny Jim
19/03/2007, 4:01 PM
That was fantastic yesterday. Great crowd but by God was it cold!! Hope we keep getting similar size crowds throughout the season now! BTW I saw Brian Kerr there as well. Anyone know why he was there?

blobbyblob
19/03/2007, 4:10 PM
A few pictures from 2 weeks ago lads - before the temporary seats were put in and some from yesterday just before kick off

http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/wex1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/wex2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/wex3.jpg
http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/cobh1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/cobh2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/colinbuk/cobh3.jpg

Tazskool
19/03/2007, 4:30 PM
cheers bobbyblob :)

The more pics the better...

when we get a "mod" here I might ask them to set up a "Wexford Pics" thread and keep it for match pics and stadium pics only.. so everyone can view them :)

don ramo
19/03/2007, 5:07 PM
i saw paul mcgrath there to, didnt see kerr hes probably down to see if ye have any good players he could rob,

question though what is pat dolans role in the club, it deffinately isnt comercial manager as no club has there commercial manager on the bench with the manager,

we should have beaten ye lot 3-1 our finnishing belongs at senior league level, hope to be more lethal soon our we'll suffer, congrats one yer first win yew took yer chances,

i hope teh event controller learned a lot form this game and will be better organised next game,

best of luck and well see ye in our place an may 19th

Thunder-WYFC
19/03/2007, 7:37 PM
Just thaught I'd post a pic of the cover of the programme up:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/thunderwex/wyfcpro.jpg

ForzaWexford
19/03/2007, 8:56 PM
The cameras were from RTE, I think they're going to show some of the game before whatever game is live on RTE this week......that's what I heard on Sunday anyway.

I saw Paul there too - he's living in Wexford now and has been out kicking around under lights on the training pitches a few times.....fancies himself as a bit of a centre-forward these days!

bogdrog
19/03/2007, 11:55 PM
Well done, and welcome to the eircom league.
Might try and get to your game againist DUNDALK(craptown) i'll give youse a few good songs to sing at them.

passinginterest
20/03/2007, 9:39 AM
I'll probably be a while getting my photos up. Can't do it in work so I have to wait for the unlikely convergance of girlfriends laptop, my camera and neighbours wireless broadband! They're not much different than the ones we've seen before.

On the stewarding at the game, I was told that the event controllor is the head event controller from Croke Park, so he should have plenty of experience. Some of the problems with access arose because the temporary fencing all got blown over in the wind the night before. Anyone parked down the back of the training pitches behind the goal was not supposed to be there. They only used it becuase the fencing in that area had fallen down. That's according to the steward at that end anyway.

I liked the look of the jersey, very simple design, I hope they make them available to the public soon.

I just remembered Cobh had a very lucky escape in the first half. The keeper came rushing out of the goal, never had a chance of making it and took down Elmes outside the box. It was a straight red if it hadn't been for a very very late flag from the linesman. He was at least a yard onside too.

brokenstar
20/03/2007, 10:28 AM
I just remembered Cobh had a very lucky escape in the first half. The keeper came rushing out of the goal, never had a chance of making it and took down Elmes outside the box. It was a straight red if it hadn't been for a very very late flag from the linesman. He was at least a yard onside too.

yeah, i remeber that that too. Put that with the two footed tackle on Conor Sinnott, Ramblers were very lucky to keep 11 men on the field

G-Man
20/03/2007, 11:04 AM
Good solid start to the league by the lads, and proves all the doubters on Wallace and his professionalism (or lack of it as a lot were insinuating) wrong. Granted its not going to be like this all year and there will be dreadful days to go with great days, but at least he has got his first win under his belt. Would have been disappointing as the game went not to win it and its always one of those things trying to get the first win in a debut season. Well done to all involved.

Rambler1
20/03/2007, 2:03 PM
Welcome to the big time boys. Good win ....we might catch ye next time but best of luck anyway. See ye at St Colmans Park.

ramsfan
20/03/2007, 7:18 PM
ye were poor we were worse but have to say ye have an excellent setup will be great when all built and what a legend mick wallace is cool hair and superb grub at halftime but man was it cold there sunny south east my nuts
best of luck int he season good to have ye in the league:o