PDA

View Full Version : Keane hits out at selection “disgrace”

Pages : [1] 2 3

A face
17/03/2007, 5:48 PM
Keane hits out at selection “disgrace”

Sunderland manager Roy Keane has labelled “a disgrace” Steve Staunton’s decision to omit Black Cats pair Liam Miller and David Connolly from his squad for next week’s Euro 2008 qualifiers against Wales and Slovakia. Connolly, one of several Irish strikers in form in the Coca-Cola Championship, was passed over in favour of uncapped Wigan Athletic forward Caleb Folan.

Miller was also omitted, among those preferred to the Cork man his former Manchester United colleague Darron Gibson, who has yet to play a first-team game for the Red Devils. Keane believes a past disagreement with Don Givens has put paid to Connolly’s chances of a recall – and insisted that an anti-Cork bias within the Association has told against Miller.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/euro2008/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26953)

sligoman
17/03/2007, 7:46 PM
Would agree that Connolly should have been selected...not sure about Miller though.

Paddy Garcia
17/03/2007, 8:06 PM
Certainly had a case today after Folan was injured.

carloz
17/03/2007, 9:29 PM
They probably both should be. But the fact that it made front page ews on the Star is pretty ****ing ****ty. It wasnt as if Keane was giving out stink. And most of his insults were aimed at the FAI, not Staunton. They are in form players who should be selected...simple as

theworm2345
17/03/2007, 10:23 PM
Keogh over Connolly must have been to spite Keane, it makes no sense

DmanDmythDledge
17/03/2007, 11:53 PM
exactly its stan

tetsujin1979
18/03/2007, 12:54 AM
doubt it, as I've said elsewhere, Keogh for Folan is a target man for a target man.

cheifo
18/03/2007, 2:28 AM
Connolly will never be good enough for Int football,Keoghs got more to offer and is only 20.Keane loves to hold a grudge.That stuff about Miller not being selected because hes from Cork is mindless gibberish.I wouldnt mind but he was telling other managers to shut up making comments about Sunderland last week.You just know he is hoping we get beat next week.T***er.

OwlsFan
18/03/2007, 8:45 AM

Of course it makes sense if, in Stan' s words, we are building for the future. Connolly hasn't done it at international level and we need another midget up front like we need a hole in the head. Keogh is a big lad who has been impressing for Wolves and scored a good last minute goal against Wednesday yesterday :mad:

There is logic in the decision. It might not be correct in some people's eyes but I can see the logic.

Millar only came on as a sub on Tuesday against Stoke and yet Keane says he should be in our squad :rolleyes:

geysir
18/03/2007, 9:19 AM
I'd almost believe anything about the FAI but there are limits when the complainant is from Cork whining about a conspiracy against Cork born players.
Stan's position is already fragile enough, taken a mountain of stick in the last months, needs 2 wins to avoid another avalanche and up steps Roy to throw some mud into the equation.
Here some small things appear to matter a lot more to Roy than the national team morale for the next 10 days.
Fortunatly for Stan the rumpus is about 2 average players mixed in with a hilarious Mope conspiracy

Colbert Report
18/03/2007, 9:24 AM
I am the biggest Roy Keane fan in the world, I think he was the greatest player ever and looks to be the greatest manager ever. But Roy, shut the f up mate! Folan got injured and Staunton couldn't call up Connolly, who was probably next in line because of your comments! I know Roy has a hard on for the FAI and he's got every right in my opinion but he's got no right to comment on Steve Staunton's selections, that's simply not fair. If he thinks he can do a better job he should fire over a resume to John Delaney! That'll be the day...

andrew1977
18/03/2007, 9:51 AM
Connolly on current league form deserved a chance in the squad, at least he is scoring regulary and we could have needed him to nick a goal for us, we need every bit of help we can get to secure 2 wins in the next 2 matches

As for the Cork conspiracy theory on Miller, absolute nonsene .

Superhoops
18/03/2007, 10:31 AM
...As for the Cork conspiracy theory on Miller, absolute nonsene .

Absolute nonsense to everyone except the Corkies themselves.

Perhaps Paranoia is a town in Cork unknown to anyone from outside PROC??

Noelys Guitar
18/03/2007, 10:54 AM
The Cork MOPE stuff is hilarious stuff. But Connolly should be in the squad. And surely Keane is right to have a go at Staunton (albeit indirectly) about his imbecelic hearsay policy. And I hoped that Stans "yuff" policy and 4, 6, 10 year plan had ended after the Carsley omissons? Plus why is Givens still in his job?

reder
18/03/2007, 11:12 AM
Firstly, this antic Cork stuff is a load of ********. Miller is pure muck. However, he is completely right about Connolly. He is scoring goals and playing very well. He is miles ahead of Folan or Long.

On a side note, Keane should shut his mouth. The irish international set up is none of his business anymore. He should turn his back and walk away, he is quite good at that type of thing!

geysir
18/03/2007, 12:28 PM
And surely Keane is right to have a go at Staunton (albeit indirectly) about his imbecelic hearsay policy.
I expect he has the right to publically commisserate or applaud whichever of his players are included or excluded from the squad.
The rest is probably worth another scene in IKeano.
He publically called into question Stan's squad selection, totally believing that he's weak to be influenced by the actual FAI conspiracy, followed with a my job's much bigger than yours jibe, my Sunderland is much bigger than your Ireland. Time to take out those chip implants.

gustavo
18/03/2007, 12:31 PM
Keane should keep his nose out of it , its none of his business who Staunton picks in his squad.You dont see Staunton giving out about Stokes non selection in the Sunderland team

brine3
18/03/2007, 12:34 PM
He publically called into question Stan's squad selection, totally believing that he's weak to be influenced by the actual FAI conspiracy

Well, the squad selection does stink, Staunton isn't up to the job and he's only where he is because he's golf buddies with John Delaney.

Can't say Keane doesn't have a point.

Noelys Guitar
18/03/2007, 2:06 PM
How Miller played yesterday.
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=sunderland-2%2D0-hull-%26method=full%26objectid=18773968%26siteid=62484-name_page.html

geysir
18/03/2007, 4:52 PM
Lucky for Stan he didn't score a hattrick.

The Tribune article on Roy's views is a lot milder.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Sport/Soccer&id=61979&SUBCAT=Tribune/Sport&SUBCATNAME=Sport

zinedineontour
18/03/2007, 7:17 PM
Of course it makes sense if, in Stan' s words, we are building for the future. Connolly hasn't done it at international level and we need another midget up front like we need a hole in the head. Keogh is a big lad who has been impressing for Wolves and scored a good last minute goal against Wednesday yesterday :mad:

There is logic in the decision. It might not be correct in some people's eyes but I can see the logic.

Millar only came on as a sub on Tuesday against Stoke and yet Keane says he should be in our squad :rolleyes:

Miller should be in the squad he has been excellent this season and this building for the future ****** just doesnt cut it .. Miller is currently better than gibson so should be picked and connolly is flying and should be ahead of the likes of folan and stokes even shane long imo ..What Keane says is what most people are thinking .. But no lets just agree with the laughing stock that is staunton..

cheifo
18/03/2007, 7:51 PM
Lucky for Stan he didn't score a hattrick.

The Tribune article on Roy's views is a lot milder.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Sport/Soccer&id=61979&SUBCAT=Tribune/Sport&SUBCATNAME=Sport

InterestinG, according to RK not only are the FAI Corkist, they are also dwarfist:D .Since S. Ireland is not the tallest fella and is from Keanes home town it makes his comments even more bizzare.Look he was a great player and is doing a good job as manager but it does seem he allows some wild ideas to grow in his mind.

The Legend
19/03/2007, 7:58 PM

Am I giving Keane too much credit in that he said that on purpose knowing that Connolly wouldn't be called up and hence not injured while not playing for Sunderland.

jebus
19/03/2007, 11:50 PM
Miller has never, and will never be a good player, Staunton doesn't rate him, fair enough. As for Connolly, he has never done well for Ireland, so why not throw someone like Folan into the mix. I was surprised Keogh didn't get picked in the first place, he's doing great stuff for Wolves at the moment, so I'd happily put him in for Folan.

And in fairness it's pretty obvious that Roy is only saying that ****e about anti-Cork attitudes to keep his family in free drin ks down here. Honestly you can't set foot in a taxi down here without hearing about Roy, his family or how he shows everyone how great Cork is

OwlsFan
20/03/2007, 8:48 AM
Miller should be in the squad he has been excellent this season and this building for the future ****** just doesnt cut it .. Miller is currently better than gibson so should be picked and connolly is flying and should be ahead of the likes of folan and stokes even shane long imo ..What Keane says is what most people are thinking .. But no lets just agree with the laughing stock that is staunton..

I am not sure that this is "what most people are thinking". See the debate on Connolly elsewhere. I certainly think having him back would be a retrograde step and the Sunderland games I have seen live (including being at one vs Wednesday) he hasn't impressed and looks to be the exact same player who has failed before for us.

I too am not a believer in "the building for the future" stuff Stan puts out since the future never comes but I would prefer to give new blood a chance instead of the failures of yesteryear.

shakermaker1982
20/03/2007, 9:19 AM
I am not sure that this is "what most people are thinking". See the debate on Connolly elsewhere. I certainly think having him back would be a retrograde step and the Sunderland games I have seen live (including being at one vs Wednesday) he hasn't impressed and looks to be the exact same player who has failed before for us.

I too am not a believer in "the building for the future" stuff Stan puts out since the future never comes but I would prefer to give new blood a chance instead of the failures of yesteryear.

yep I have that stance too. If Connolly takes Sunderland up and starts scoring in the Premiership for fun then yes he needs to be given another chance but I have always got the impression he is a fantastic Championship level player but one who can't quite cut the mustard with the big guns.

geysir
20/03/2007, 9:20 AM
I don't mind the future stuff as long as Stan picks the best 11 no matter what age they are. Its a squad of 24, I don't see too many negatives with including the younger lads.
If Ireland can't beat Wales at home then it won't be because Connolly and Miller were not called up.

citizenerased
20/03/2007, 10:16 AM
Connolly has proven time and time again that he is not good enough, maybe miller deserves a chance instead of gibson also...

qwertyui
20/03/2007, 10:23 AM
Keane should keep his nose out of it , its none of his business who Staunton picks in his squad.You dont see Staunton giving out about Stokes non selection in the Sunderland team

Couldnt agree more. Miller has been in and out of the sunderland team himself recently, as has darryl murphy. Keane shud mind his own biz. God he annoys the hell out of me! Have to say tho, some of stans selections do annoy me. Wayne henderson ahead of the boy doyle with birmingham?>? Wat r u doing??!?

elroy
20/03/2007, 2:11 PM
Supposedly Stan spoke to Steve Bruce and Nigel Spink (Bham GK coach) and they asked that he be left out that they felt he wasnt ready for it yet, so thats a reasonably valid reason for leaving Doyle out.

In relation to Keanes comments, I think they were unhelpful but I do think Miller deserves a squad place, its not like we have alot of midfielders playing regularly for an inform side. On Connolly, I think the guy has had more than enough chances, I remember not that long ago he played a friendly and scored a hat trick (i think) and everyone was raving about him but when its comes to the competitive games hes never done it. A good few of the goals he has scored this season have come from the penalty spot also. I would be very much in favour of giving the place in the squad to the up and coming strikers rather than Connolly.

eirebhoy
20/03/2007, 2:44 PM
On Connolly, I think the guy has had more than enough chances, I remember not that long ago he played a friendly and scored a hat trick (i think) and everyone was raving about him but when its comes to the competitive games hes never done it.
I think you mean his motm against Turkey? He played with Doherty that day and won a place in the team for Switzerland but Keane also played then and they don't work together. There's a reason Jol will do anything but pair Defoe and Keane again.

lionelhutz
20/03/2007, 2:52 PM
Connolly will never be good enough for Int football,Keoghs got more to offer and is only 20.Keane loves to hold a grudge.That stuff about Miller not being selected because hes from Cork is mindless gibberish.I wouldnt mind but he was telling other managers to shut up making comments about Sunderland last week.You just know he is hoping we get beat next week.T***er.

Can everyone please calm down about keanes cork comment. He was takin the mick

NeilMcD
20/03/2007, 2:56 PM
There is no evidence to suggest he was taking the mick. It sounded as if he was quite serious about it.

citizenerased
20/03/2007, 3:07 PM
in fairness, he was joking, sure isnt Ireland in the squad and he is from cork!!!

Sligo Hornet
20/03/2007, 3:07 PM
Connolly has proven time and time again that he is not good enough.

Couldn't agree more.......Connolly is a past failure and should remain in the past!:eek:

We are almost at rock bottom, and be looking at all aspects of our FUTURE potential........by the way have we got any?;)

geysir
20/03/2007, 3:26 PM
in fairness, he was joking, sure isnt Ireland in the squad and he is from cork!!!
The fact that Ireland is in the squad is some evidence that there is no conspiracy, it is not evidence to suggest that Keane was joking.

citizenerased
20/03/2007, 3:32 PM
Oh sorry I didnt know my arguments were being dissected by Matlock!!!

geysir
20/03/2007, 3:36 PM
:D
Perry Mason, if you please !

citizenerased
20/03/2007, 3:37 PM
sorry perry

lionelhutz
20/03/2007, 3:39 PM
Look lads, i think we all agree keane is an intelligent man and is prone to making very sarcastic comments. This was a sarcastic comment taken the wrong way by everyone

NeilMcD
20/03/2007, 3:51 PM
Yeah we shoudl all agree that Keane never talks ****e and is always right and even when he is wrong he is just being sarcastic.

cheifo
20/03/2007, 7:13 PM
Ok then its all our fault.:)

limerickblue
20/03/2007, 7:33 PM
Keane is a true genious and he is not wrong in what he says, we all know that stauntan hasnt a clue, come on we played bad in san mariono because it was just after christhmas omg what a joke. miller should be in the squad before gibson and kilbane. kilbane has been around the squad for years but in all fairness he is not a player who will excite fans in all fairness. as regards connoly i dont think he will ever play up front for ireland ever again.

also am i the only person who thinks that darryl murphy would be a great target man, he is a physcal player whoo is well able work the ball with his feet.
aswell with keano once a legend always a legend.
if the f.a.i sort themselves keane will take the reigns

livehead1
20/03/2007, 7:44 PM
also am i the only person who thinks that darryl murphy would be a great target man, he is a physcal player whoo is well able work the ball with his feet.
aswell with keano once a legend always a legend.
if the f.a.i sort themselves keane will take the reigns

Yes, you are the only one. A lad who can't get his pick in the Sunderland side does not deserve international recognition.

What are you, Maurice Keane himself? Come off it! Steve Staunton was also a legend playing for Ireland, what makes Keane any different?

limerickblue
20/03/2007, 8:03 PM
Yes, you are the only one. A lad who can't get his pick in the Sunderland side does not deserve international recognition.

What are you, Maurice Keane himself? Come off it! Steve Staunton was also a legend playing for Ireland, what makes Keane any different?

Yes stauntan was a good consistint player, legend you say, you are having a laugh. only a few players have the right to be called legend, Brady,McGrath and Roy Keane to name a few but definatley NOT stauntan.
Also as a manger with his comments he has proven he is an absolute TOOL he is worst than McCatear, How much are we paying him.
Yes He is a sub for sunderland but he is brought on to hit up top when needed.
Does Crouch always start for the pool, or solksjar for man utd would they get on our side yes.

Roy Keane is a true legend and a model for youngsters, fiery and reliable on the field and cool and calm off it,

jebus
21/03/2007, 12:21 AM
Look lads, i think we all agree keane is an intelligent man and is prone to making very sarcastic comments. This was a sarcastic comment taken the wrong way by everyone

Roy Keane is a moron and is a disgrace to this country and football in general. Have never had any time for him since he purposefully ended Alf Haaland's career. Keane, scumbag that he is, should never have been allowed back on a football field after admitting to doing that

irishfan86
21/03/2007, 12:27 AM
Roy Keane is a moron and is a disgrace to this country and football in general. Have never had any time for him since he purposefully ended Alf Haaland's career. Keane, scumbag that he is, should never have been allowed back on a football field after admitting to doing that

The knee that Roy hit in that famous tackle was not the knee that gave out to end Haaland's career, it was his other one.

He actually played in an international game for his country a few days after Roy's tackle.

Paddy Garcia
21/03/2007, 7:43 AM
Does Crouch always start for the pool, or solksjar for man utd would they get on our side yes.

In all fairness you can't compare the Man U or Liverpool bench with Sunderlands. If those two lads were at Sunderland they would both start, except you would not find either at a Championship team.

NeilMcD
21/03/2007, 9:16 AM
Lads we are getting away from the issue. I am a fan of Keanes but he is talkilng rubbish in this case. Cork Bias, what about him getting his game. what about Iriwn what about Stephen Ireland. What about all the times Miller was in the squad when he was just warming the bench at Man Utd. He is talking rubbish in this case and I would say its a major case of **** stirring to make things even more uncomfortable for the FAI and Staunton.

This is not about who is a better manager Staunton or Keane, the issue is why is Keane talking such rubbish and saying something that he cannot back up with fact.

shakermaker1982
21/03/2007, 10:54 AM
Keane is looking after his players, he's trying to send out a message to guys like Miller and David that they've been playing well this season and in his opinion they shouldn't have been ignored. If asked the Q at a press conference he was hardly going to say "if I was the Irish manager not in a million years would I play those 2 etc etc". It's good management plus a nice dig at the FA and Stan.