PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda

@ndy
09/01/2003, 7:54 PM
Would love to head up tomorrow, but can't unless i can get back 2moro night, and i don't think theres any public transport available that late. Is anyone driving up that can offer a lift back?

Ciaran, have u been in touch wit macker...is he drivin perchance with space? Conal Hooper has a lovely car...

Schumi
10/01/2003, 11:17 AM
Correction. Conal Hooper had a lovely car.:D

I'll talk to Maccer this morning and text you.

Aberdonian Stu
10/01/2003, 11:26 AM
I've got a lift sorted for me and Henry, or is that Henry and I.

UCD_4_Life
11/01/2003, 6:05 PM
Why didn't Robbie Doyle play again? He must be injured as I don't think Doolin would be so stupid as to think that Gallen is better.

The injury theory would seem about right but when he comes on he looks fine.:confused:

DruggyDrog
11/01/2003, 6:14 PM
well done last night, lads, the team that wanted it more won the game, even though you were the away team and had a man less for most of the game. Even when we had an extra man, you were the only team that looked like scoring, and you did!

Pray for us in the play-offs (can't see us finishing anywhere else).

Gracey
11/01/2003, 7:17 PM
Well done the students
You came, you set out your stall and you conquered the drogs. One more point should keep you safe.
UCD wanted to win more than us. can't understand that. We have still 2 matches left. We must keep the faith.

Hope to see you in the premier next year.

JIM

pineapple stu
11/01/2003, 7:54 PM
The reason Bambi Gallen is playing instead of Robbie Doyle at the moment is that Doolo doesn't know the meaning of changing your team around - I can't remember the last unenforced change he made apart from recalling Bazza after suspension. In fairness, he's been rewarded throughout the season by the likes of Robbie Mac and Paddy Sullivan, who've had brilliant seasons. We've a good setteld side now, with a strong bench at last - if we can keep Bazza for next season, there's no reason why we can't get into Europe (although I do say that every year now..!)

UCD_4_Life
12/01/2003, 7:54 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
- if we can keep Bazza for next season, there's no reason why we can't get into Europe (although I do say that every year now..!)

That's because we seem to only come good in the second half of the season.

We'll almost certainly sell someone, it's like tradition. If it is Bazza then I don't know if Jennings is up to it. Still it'll be nice to have the chant.

@ndy
13/01/2003, 2:07 PM
The best reason i've heard suggested is that perhaps Doolo is just getting doyle to realise he's not guaranteed a place in the team, and fair play to him. We did very well in longford and held pats without him, so i think it's a message that no one is guaranteed their shirt.

As for Gallen, he's the most improved player i've seen this season, and there have been a lot of improvements. He needs more football to become sharper and a little more confident, but he is very calm and looks around when he has the ball...patient.

Also, you have to remember, as Brendan Dillon rightly pointed out to us, Robbie Martin came back into the fold late on, and i mean, if you have two players playing well and one who is probably a better player getting complacent...

Schumi
13/01/2003, 5:10 PM
If we lose Bazza (and it looks fairly likely at this stage), it'll be on a Bosman as far as I know, i.e. no money. While losing the best 'keeper in the league will obviously be a big blow, I think Jennings would do OK. He didn't do badly against $hels (and he must have been under a lot of pressure). If it hadn't been for 'he robs the phones' Geoghegan pushing Clive into him for the first goal, he would have done OK I think.

UCD_4_Life
13/01/2003, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
If we lose Bazza (and it looks fairly likely at this stage), it'll be on a Bosman as far as I know, i.e. no money. While losing the best 'keeper in the league will obviously be a big blow, I think Jennings would do OK. He didn't do badly against $hels (and he must have been under a lot of pressure). If it hadn't been for 'he robs the phones' Geoghegan pushing Clive into him for the first goal, he would have done OK I think.

He was grand yeah but I'm not sure if he'd hold up for a season.

Does Bazza's contract expire this year? If it does we'll probably have him 'til at least May or June.

He's worth at least E100,000 in my opinion.

@ndy
15/01/2003, 2:15 PM
Remember when Bazza got injured at the end of the season before last...Jennings was thrown straight in and did exceptionally well. I remember Declan Hughes remarking that Bazza might not even get his place back for the play offs.

After the play off second leg i had a chat with Jennings about what he was gona do next season re football. His attitude was...i just really want to play football, not be sat on a bench. Obviously his studying arrangements would have tied him to the club, but that must surely be at an end at this stage? I'll be delighted and very confident to have him between the sticks next season. He seems to be one of the biggest characters in the squad aswell so he'll be good for the team's morale.

We'll just wait and see so...to see the answer to the eternal question...'WE SAY PAT JENNINGS, ARE YOU AS GOOD AS YOUR DAD, WE SAY PAT JENNINGS ARE YOU AS GOOD AS YOUR DAD...'

Andy.

Aberdonian Stu
15/01/2003, 7:59 PM
At the time Macker reckoned that Jennings would be the No. 1 choice the following season but it wasn't meant to be...

Schumi
16/01/2003, 3:22 PM
He'll probably get his chance next season by the looks of it.