PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v Wales pre-match thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

eirebhoy
15/03/2007, 1:47 PM
Goalkeepers: Given, Colgan, Henderson

Defenders: McShane, Dunne, O'Dea, Finnan, Harte, Kelly.

Midfielders: O'Shea, Kilbane, Ireland, Carsley, Douglas, McGeady, Hunt, Gibson, Quinn, Duff.

Forwards: Keane, Stokes, Doyle, Long, Folan.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2007, 1:52 PM
Gibson and Qiunn (I'm presuming that's Stephen Quinn) pulled out of the U-21's too.

Still short at centre half, even if you count O'Shea

and only 7 from the Championship, hardly the majority Staunton spoke of lately.

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 1:54 PM
I though Gibson had picked up a serious injury recently? Or did I just imagine that story? A bit surprised Folan is in. O'Dea deserves his call up.

bwagner
15/03/2007, 1:59 PM
good strike force but sad not to see st ledger as we need to blood him in.

Soper
15/03/2007, 2:03 PM
Folan is an 'interesting' selection

soccerc
15/03/2007, 2:04 PM
Gibson and Qiunn (I'm presuming that's Stephen Quinn) pulled out of the U-21's too.

No, it's Alan, Sheffield United got the fax for Alan this morning. Stephen in U21 squad

shakermaker1982
15/03/2007, 2:09 PM
happy enough - that the end for Kenny?

tetsujin1979
15/03/2007, 2:15 PM
No, it's Alan, Sheffield United got the fax for Alan this morning. Stephen in U21 squad
Fair enough, that's the only call up I have any real issue with, possibly the omission of Ledger.
Stephen is playing regularly, scoring and getting assists in a battling Sheffield United side, Alan is a regular subsititute.

galwayhoop
15/03/2007, 2:17 PM
Still short at centre half, even if you count O'Shea

i think 3 is sufficient as long as none injured / suspended as o'shea can play there also if we are really really really desparate.

i like the idea of less defenders and more midfielders / attackers in a squad. but i think we could do with one more full back. more likely to change a full back as a game goes on than a centre half.

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 2:19 PM
I suppose O'Shea, Kilbane and even Duff at a stretch provide emergency cover at full back.

Paddy Garcia
15/03/2007, 2:19 PM
Fair enough, that's the only call up I have any real issue with, possibly the omission of Ledger.
Stephen is playing regularly, scoring and getting assists in a battling Sheffield United side, Alan is a regular subsititute.

Agree, he has the wrong Quinn.

Also Morrison can feel hard done by. I don't see Douglas getting a game, and Morrison has started to score again.

as_i_say
15/03/2007, 2:24 PM
why is colgan still picked for the squad? shoudnt doyle of birmingham be in there ahead of him at this stage

greendeiseboy
15/03/2007, 2:26 PM
just wondering is it a rule that you need to have 3 keepers.... seems a bit pointless..as you could call up an additional outfield player

IsMiseSean
15/03/2007, 2:29 PM
I dont see why Douglas is in there, S. Quinn would have been a better choice. Connolly should have been recalled!

colster
15/03/2007, 2:30 PM
I dont see why Douglas is in there, S. Quinn would have been a better choice. Connolly should have been recalled!

S. Quinn is a winger, Douglas is a CM and is a bit more combative from what I've seen of him.

No Liam Miller?

IsMiseSean
15/03/2007, 2:32 PM
Ya but with Carsely, Ireland, Kilbane A. Quinn and O'Shea if need be, surely thats enough cover in Centre Mid! Even Liam Miller would be a better choice than Douglas

pete
15/03/2007, 2:33 PM
Ireland sinking to new low by including Belgian 2nd division player in its senior squad.

Can someone send Folan a copy of the National Anthem.

What happen Dixon? Alan O'Brien? St Ledger? (no Cheltenham jokes please)

eirebhoy
15/03/2007, 2:36 PM
Ya but with Carsely, Ireland, Kilbane A. Quinn and O'Shea if need be, surely thats enough cover in Centre Mid! Even Liam Miller would be a better choice than Douglas
Looking at the squad Douglas is actually not far off making the team. Ireland isn't really a central midfielder and I can't remember him ever playing there in a 4-4-2 for City. Kilbane, Quinn and O'Shea are makeshifts.

Ireland sinking to new low by including Belgian 2nd division player in its senior squad.
Shouldn't really matter who you play for. The likes of Gibson and Stokes are our future.

galwayhoop
15/03/2007, 2:41 PM
i see none of the recent eL transferred players have got in. is it only a matter of time? hawkins & ward in particular due to form and positions

tetsujin1979
15/03/2007, 2:41 PM
He was in the last squad too

What happen Dixon? Alan O'Brien? St Ledger? (no Cheltenham jokes please)

Dixon is still out with a serious knee injury.
O'Brien is in the reserves at Newcastle, and we're covered for the left wing with Duff and Kilbane.

Looking at the squad Douglas is actually not far off making the team. Ireland isn't really a central midfielder and I can't remember him ever playing there in a 4-4-2 for City. Kilbane, Quinn and O'Shea are makeshifts.
Correct, it's usually Barton + Dabo behind Ireland, Hamann played there last night against Chelsea

colster
15/03/2007, 2:44 PM

Anytime I've seen Douglas for Ireland he's been pretty good. He played well against the Czechs.

Paddy Garcia
15/03/2007, 2:47 PM
What happen Dixon? Injured

Alan O'Brien? I assume Stan has finally realised that he is not up to it.

St Ledger? Good call Pete. There is only 1 regular (first choice) starting centre back in the squad. he should have been tried before now.

colster
15/03/2007, 2:52 PM
Given

Finnan Dunne McShane Harte

McGeady Carsley Douglas Duff

Doyle Keane

charliesboots
15/03/2007, 2:53 PM
did anybody even know Caleb Folan was Irish? Seriously lads.

Paddy Garcia
15/03/2007, 2:59 PM
did anybody even know Caleb Folan was Irish? Seriously lads.

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=54724

DeNiro
15/03/2007, 3:04 PM
I think that's a poor squad. Why Folan ahead of Conolly? Not too much of a difference there. Staunton is pandering now I think. Keeping the press off his back by including smokescreens like Folan. I do agree with O'Dea's selection - if he's good enough in the San Siro, he'll be good enough for Lansdowne Road.

NeilMcD
15/03/2007, 3:06 PM
Folan ahead of Connolly as he adds somethilng that that nobody else has which is lots of pace and good in the air. Its about having variation on the bench.

Paddy Garcia
15/03/2007, 3:12 PM
Folan ahead of Connolly as he adds somethilng that that nobody else has which is lots of pace and good in the air. Its about having variation on the bench.

Agree, we badly need some muscle up front

DeNiro
15/03/2007, 3:21 PM
I do agree with O'Dea's selection - if he's good enough in the San Siro, he'll be good enough for Lansdowne Road.[/QUOTE]

Oops. Croke Park of course!

Lionel Ritchie
15/03/2007, 3:23 PM
I'm a Leeds supporter and the fact that we're not mathematically gone yet is largely due to the effort of Douglas.

Connolly and Morrison can feel quite hard done by.

Clinton is probably the only striker we have who can hold the ball.

gufcfan
15/03/2007, 3:28 PM
I think that's a poor squad. Why Folan ahead of Conolly? Not too much of a difference there. Staunton is pandering now I think. Keeping the press off his back by including smokescreens like Folan. I do agree with O'Dea's selection - if he's good enough in the San Siro, he'll be good enough for Lansdowne Road.

Landsdowne Road???

JimmyP
15/03/2007, 3:29 PM
Carr's fit, so his omission is semi-interesting - not that I'm objecting though! :cool:

LFC in Exile
15/03/2007, 3:32 PM
Folan is in there so the 'manager' can continue to talk about a squad in transition. yeah right.... How long before we hear 'testing out new players' to lower expectations.

If its on form then Connolly should be included. Having a big lump up front 'just in case' shows a lack of belief in the players to play the right way.:ball:

tetsujin1979
15/03/2007, 3:33 PM
Carr's fit, so his omission is semi-interesting - not that I'm objecting though! :cool:

He's only just back to fitness, we have 2 match fit, regular starters in Finnan and Kelly

paul_oshea
15/03/2007, 3:43 PM
If its on form then Connolly should be included. Having a big lump up front 'just in case' shows a lack of belief in the players to play the right way

i think the squad selection is quite good, we need variation big time. Have you not watched or last few matches, ball after ball hit into the box and no keane to be seen or else goes over everyones head, we need to be getting someone for knock downs and headers on goal. dont know much about folan but if thats what he can do then he is the kind of person we need to pull off the bench with 25 mins or so to go when we need to find a goal.....

it always confuses me how the posts here can be so different......

Billsthoughts
15/03/2007, 3:48 PM

he Irish now as well???

stojkovic
15/03/2007, 3:48 PM
I do agree with O'Dea's selection - if he's good enough in the San Siro, he'll be good enough for Lansdowne Road.
I'm tempted but I won't.

Think back 10 or 20 years lads.

Apart from our defence (excluding the best keeper & right-full in the Premier), I can't think of a better SQUAD (not team) of midfielders and forwards that we could assemble at the same time. All playing at the top level.

In the past when two or more of Houghton, Keane, Townsend, Sheedy; Aldo, Quinn, were injured we struggled big time. Sheridan, McLoughlin, Cascarino and Kelly (D) are the only half decent replacements that spring to mind.

I remember matches with four centre-halfs on the pitch and others with four fullbacks, all cover for absent midfielders.

Talent wise at the moment we are not lacking, leadership wise, very much so. That is one of our fundamental problems at the moment. Leadership on and off the pitch. The other is the players (spoilt little millionaires) hunger and desire. What Giles calls 'moral courage'.

I do not subscribe to the notion that our players aren't as good as what Jack had. Jack made use of what he had and they battled, too much sometimes. Stan is using it as a cop out to play out his four year contract (shades of Sven the spoofer).

We have alot of good young players (McGeady, McShane, Hunt, Long, Stokes, Doyle, Ireland, Geary (!) Stephen Quinn) with others at their peak (Given, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Keane) and a few more experienced lads nearing the end (Carsley, Kilbane, Harte). And we have O'Shea.

How can a manager not build a team from that lot to get us into the top 12 teams in Europe.

stojkovic
15/03/2007, 3:54 PM

It will save Sulky having to make the phone call to pull out, as usual.

As he actually played since he 'delighted' us all with his come-back.

elroy
15/03/2007, 4:09 PM
Not many complaints about the squad, though theres no good reason why Doyle from B'ham isnt included.

The Legend
15/03/2007, 4:11 PM
Agreed, Colin Doyle is definitely future No.2 even if Kenny comes back.

To be fair, we would have a really decent starting 11, if we had a left back and some central midfield muscle.

(and of course if an inanimate carbon rod was the manager instead of Homer)

Docboy
15/03/2007, 4:35 PM
[QUOTE=stojkovic;645096]

Talent wise at the moment we are not lacking, leadership wise, very much so. That is one of our fundamental problems at the moment. Leadership on and off the pitch. The other is the players (spoilt little millionaires) hunger and desire. What Giles calls 'moral courage'.

I do not subscribe to the notion that our players aren't as good as what Jack had. Jack made use of what he had and they battled, too much sometimes. Stan is using it as a cop out to play out his four year contract (shades of Sven the spoofer). Quote

I have to agree with you there pal. Looking back on the Irish teams of that period you could have nearly made any them of them captain of the current team on desire alone.

I believe it's a societal issue there's very few "men" coming into the international scene. No wonder the public are getting behind the rugby. And I say that as someone who pretty much despised the game all my life.

geysir
15/03/2007, 4:47 PM
Tets, do you rate Ledger as good enough?

Paulie
15/03/2007, 5:05 PM
Folan ahead of Connolly as he adds somethilng that that nobody else has which is lots of pace

I haven't seen the guy play so I don't know how good or bad he really is. In terms of his speed, who would you compare him to?

eirebhoy
15/03/2007, 5:09 PM
Apart from our defence (excluding the best keeper & right-full in the Premier)
And one of the best central defenders. A lot more proven than someone like Ledley King imo. Hasn't shown that form for Ireland but then who has?

ChrisRed
15/03/2007, 5:40 PM
No Carr? Find that a bit strange as he is fit again and if Finnan picks up an injury we'll have a championship right back pitted against Ryan Giggs. Surely at least Derek Geary of Sheffield United should have been called up he has made 19 Premiership starts this season!
Connolly has scored 10 in his last 17 so surely he deserves a call up giving our options.

geysir
15/03/2007, 5:56 PM
Carr has not been playing, either just about recovered from injury or not quite recovered yet.

RiffRaff
15/03/2007, 6:04 PM
Can't wait to hear what Neil Warnock says about Geary and S. Quinn being left out. Nothing surprises me anymore about Stan's selections, but apart from those 2, i'm disappointed that Henderson is still in the squad after one of the biggest goalkeeping howlers i can remember from an Ireland keeper (and he hasnt played a first team game since) and the selection of Stokes and Long ahead of inform strikers (nothing against either but they are not ready for international football). I wouldnt have put Folan above the likes Lee until he proves himself at premiership level. From the squad thats picked, i would be tempted to try Hunt in centre midfield. He seems to have the energy and hunger thats been missing, can tackle and likes to get in the box, and i'd play him with either Ireland or Carsley because i dont think they work well together.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2007, 6:32 PM
Carr is not in the Newcastle team tonight, still suffering with his hamstring, so I've no problems with his omission

theworm2345
15/03/2007, 8:17 PM
Goalkeepers: Given, Colgan, Henderson

Defenders: McShane, Dunne, O'Dea, Finnan, Harte, Kelly.

Midfielders: O'Shea, Kilbane, Ireland, Carsley, Douglas, McGeady, Hunt, Gibson, Quinn, Duff.

Forwards: Keane, Stokes, Doyle, Long, Folan.
Stokes, Doyle, Long, even Folan
not one of them derserves it over Connolly, Murphy, Ward, Keogh, Morrison, etc
Leave now Staunton and dont come back
Connolly: 10 goals in 16 games
Morrison: 4 goals in 4 games, 10 on the season
Ward: 3 goals in February
Keogh: perhaps not
Murphy: sure as hell plays over Stokes
M. Rowlands: deserves it over Douglas, as he has been better than him goal scoring wise and always seems to be involved with QPR's goals
P. McCarthy: I forget if he's hurt, but if hes not, he should be in over O'Dea

Folan: 2 goals makes you a superstar?
Long: Do I even need to mention anything?
Doyle: earlier season form deserves it, played about 15 minutes in 2 months
Stokes: Cant crack the same Sunderland squad that Connolly and Murphy do
O'Dea: plays well in 2 matches and gets in the squad?
Douglas: plays for ****ing Leeds
Gibson: Royal MOTHER****ING ANTWERP

Staunton is not fit to manage my sister's u13 team, much the less a formerly-excellent Irish team.
Anyone remember playing France last year, the match we lost 1-0? The atmosphere was great, the players wanted to win, and we played great. We had Brian Kerr and everyone blamed him. Well guess what, we got this stupid ginger now instead, are you happy almost losing to San Marino? I've kept my cool the best I could in the past, this is the straw that broke the camel's back, and I am one ****ed off bloody camel.

P.S. After thinking it through a bit Folan perhaps does deserve it, and we should at least lock him up for the future.
P.P.S. How is me telling Staunton to leave not come back personal abuse? I didn't tell him to drop dead, as I wouldn't want that. I simply said he wasn't fit to manage (perhaps the retard comment should've been taken out though). Real version of my post is here (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10965470#post10965470)

ofjames
15/03/2007, 8:54 PM
stauntons a frickin sap, cannot for the life of me see how folan warrants a place ahead of ward or connolly (and perhaps even keogh/lee).

Playing 5 games for a **** wigan side is scant justification for an international call-up. Ward has worked hard in the underage system and won player of the month in for february in the champo. Id feel very hard done by if I were him. I'd probably have included him instead of stokes aswell.

At least he had sense and called up O'Dea, feared the worst when i saw him in the under 21 squad.

My gut feeling is that no matter what squad he picks, we're still gona play ****e and stuggle to get anything outa these games.

And, altho im slightly ashamed to say it. A part of me wishes that this will be the case and we'll finally get rid of this fr. stone impersonator