PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Eircom League Fans

Pages : [1] 2

Shelsman
15/03/2007, 1:07 PM
I'm not sure if we had a thread on this before, but I thought it would be interesting if we could list all the celebrities who support eL clubs.

I'll start the list:

Bray Wanderers: Des Cahill

Shelbourne: Brendan Carroll :rolleyes: ( used to play for Shels )

St. Pats: Ian Dempsey

UCD: Dave Fanning ( plus someone else I can't remember )

kdjaC
15/03/2007, 1:10 PM
Ben Dunne: Pats and Rovers :D

kdjac

Ebmania
15/03/2007, 1:13 PM
Ben Dunne: Pats and Rovers :D

kdjac
Pats and rovers thats the most incredible thing i have ever heard.

MyTown
15/03/2007, 1:23 PM
TV personalities & Navan natives Hector O hEochagain and Tommy Tiernan both relocated to Galway and are known to pay the odd visit to Terryland Park. Tiernan was a very regular supporter until he got "famous". - Course Nick Leeson never misses a match;)

Raheny Red
15/03/2007, 1:32 PM
Damien Duff was in Tolka on Friday and supposedly was geting excited anytime Shels were on attack.

KildareFan
15/03/2007, 1:34 PM
Damien Duff was in Tolka on Friday and supposedly was geting excited anytime Shels were on attack.

He is supposed to be mates with your left back, Ciaran Ryan. He also knows John Ryan, a connection through Pat Devlin and Dermot Keely. In fact, I am sure that I read somewhere before that Keely used to teach him in school

Joey Killester
15/03/2007, 1:35 PM
I read in the program last friday that Finnian McGrath, TD, sponsored one of the Shels players so I guess he has foundness of Shels.

mcgonigle
15/03/2007, 1:35 PM
UCD: Dave Fanning ( plus someone else I can't remember )

Didnt Dermot Morgan used to go to UCD games when he was alive

galwayhoop
15/03/2007, 1:40 PM
well known politican, radio personality (well... impersionated on radio) and patron of the arts Michael D. Higgins is a GUFC supporter

Krstic
15/03/2007, 1:43 PM
John Hume-Derry City.

John83
15/03/2007, 1:44 PM
He is supposed to be mates with your left back, Ciaran Ryan. He also knows John Ryan, a connection through Pat Devlin and Dermot Keely. In fact, I am sure that I read somewhere before that Keely used to teach him in school
He was at UCD watching Robbie Doyle (I think) at some point.

Danny
15/03/2007, 2:09 PM
St. Pats: Ian Dempsey

Where did u get that from ?
never seen that tool at any pats games

bigmac
15/03/2007, 2:10 PM
Last time we had this discussion there was a fight between Derry and Harps fans all trying to claim Dana as a fan :D

Ash
15/03/2007, 2:15 PM
Mary O'Rourke was at am Athlone Town match before.
Her son used to be a regular in Mels.

derm
15/03/2007, 2:19 PM
Didnt Dermot Morgan used to go to UCD games when he was alive

Heard that alright. I think he said he had a fear of crowds and so supported UCD !:D

MyTown
15/03/2007, 2:20 PM
well known politican, radio personality (well... impersionated on radio) and patron of the arts Michael D. Higgins is a GUFC supporter

More than that! Michael D. is President of GUFC and recently did an hilarious routine with Gift Grub's Mario Rosenstock at a club fund raiser.

Neish
15/03/2007, 2:24 PM
Last time we had this discussion there was a fight between Derry and Harps fans all trying to claim Dana as a fan :D

Derry can have her as far as I'm concerned.

Krstic
15/03/2007, 2:27 PM
Derry can have her as far as I'm concerned.

No fcuking way, you have her.:D

dcfcsteve
15/03/2007, 2:35 PM
This topic was exhausted a few months back when Dr Who was on a BBC documentary catching a Derry game.

dcfcsteve
15/03/2007, 2:37 PM

It was a fight over letting the other team claim her....! :D

No fear of any disputes re Waterford's burgeoning celebrity fan-base....;)

BohsPartisan
15/03/2007, 2:45 PM
I read in the program last friday that Finnian McGrath, TD, sponsored one of the Shels players so I guess he has foundness of Shels.

Or charitable causes :D

London-Irish
15/03/2007, 2:46 PM
Terry Wogan - Limerick fan

headtheball
15/03/2007, 2:53 PM
This topic was exhausted a few months back when Dr Who was on a BBC documentary catching a Derry game.

Dr Who star David Tennent is indeed an honorary member of the Derry City exiles supporters club. His grandfather was a goalmachine for us in the 30's Archie Mcleod. He was approached and was delighted to be asked.

London-Irish
15/03/2007, 2:58 PM
Sorry, that should be SIR Terry Wogan as he accepted a knighthood

Krstic
15/03/2007, 2:59 PM
Terry Wogan - Limerick fan

Pity he canny remember he's a Limerick 'MAN'.

London-Irish
15/03/2007, 3:12 PM
Can't remember?

Krstic
15/03/2007, 3:24 PM
Can't remember?

Well on presenting the Eurovision, he refers to GB as 'We'
He has also taken a knighthood from a British Monarch, not much of an Irishman in my eyes, let alone a Limerick man.

Bluebeard
15/03/2007, 3:29 PM
Jim Nolan, the playwright is a Blues fan, as is John O'Shea, a cast member on the hit Celeb TV show "I'm Not A Centre-Half, Get Me Out Of Here".

Pablo
15/03/2007, 3:31 PM
Jesus is a Cork City fan.

WeAreRovers
15/03/2007, 3:38 PM

Apologies for going off-topic but how come Fintan Cassidy never got his buddy Finian McGrath to bring up Shels in the Dail? Why is the Chair of the Sports Council trying to kill one of our leading clubs? Who owns the lease on Tolka? What if anything does the Government intend to do about Shels? etc etc.

Charlie O'Connor TD (one of many celeb Hoops) has done great work in the Dail for us simply by asking questions.

KOH

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 3:39 PM

No he's owner/manager of Wexford Youths FC :p

Dricky
15/03/2007, 3:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pablo

No he's owner/manager of Wexford Youths FC :p

No prizes for guessing who was the ass he rode in on!!!

Schumi
15/03/2007, 3:55 PM
Doesn't he have an ad board in Glentoran?

Ash
15/03/2007, 3:59 PM

But Jebus follows Limerick 37 ;)

CharlesThompson
15/03/2007, 4:02 PM
Karl Harpur who played Keano in I Keano last week in the Olympia is a Bohs fan.

Simon Delaney (Batchelors Walk) purports to being a Shels fan but I don't think he's ever been to a game.

Martin King (Today FM / TV3 weatherman) is a Bohs fan.

Da Real Rover
15/03/2007, 4:08 PM
Martin King (Today FM / TV3 weatherman) is a Bohs fan.

LOL, my idol.

Tommy Gorman is a rovers fan.
Matty Verdon is also a well known diehard.

BohDiddley
15/03/2007, 4:15 PM
Dave Fanning, UCD.
Barry EPL Consumers' Champion Andrews, TD, UCD.
Tom Humphries, of 'event junkies' fame, allegedly claims to be a Bohs man, but this may be for CV/cred reasons only, as strenuous investigative efforts have failed to turn up anyone who can attest to having seen him in Dalymount Park, ever, and if he was a proper Bohs fan he would end at least one of his contributions with 'FACT!'

CharlesThompson
15/03/2007, 4:15 PM
LOL, my idol.

Tommy Gorman is a rovers fan.
Matty Verdon is also a well known diehard.

You lot have Eamon Sweeney aswell...

Dyl10
15/03/2007, 4:21 PM
I heard Phil Coulter is a Derry fan?:confused:

paudie
15/03/2007, 4:30 PM
John Creedon and family are all huge Cork City fans.

Fivesilver
15/03/2007, 4:33 PM
I used to bump into Ming the Merciless at a lot of Sligo Rovers games before he left Castlerea for Galway. Since then I've heard he's been seen in Terryland a few times - terrible what getting into drugs can do to you. :D

fbtn
15/03/2007, 4:37 PM
That is what the row between the Harps and Derry fans - both were in denial :)

She hasn't been seen at either ground since her need for votes diminished with her political career. Her daughter is some bit of stuff though :D

WeAreRovers
15/03/2007, 4:39 PM

The feeling's not mutual AFAIK.

KOH

Shelsman
15/03/2007, 4:47 PM
Course Nick Leeson never misses a match;)

Probably puts a few Euro on them too ..:D

Shelsman
15/03/2007, 4:48 PM

Wasn't he the chairman for a while?

Shelsman
15/03/2007, 4:49 PM
Karl Harpur who played Keano in I Keano last week in the Olympia is a Bohs fan.

Simon Delaney (Batchelors Walk) purports to being a Shels fan but I don't think he's ever been to a game.

Jaysus lads, we're really scraping the barrell here.

adamcarr
15/03/2007, 5:07 PM
Ken Loach, director of The wind that shakes the barley and many other films is a Cork City fan as is Des Bishop.

Isn't Ardal O'Hanlon a Shels fan?

Anto McC
15/03/2007, 5:38 PM
Apologies for going off-topic but how come Fintan Cassidy never got his buddy Finian McGrath to bring up Shels in the Dail? Why is the Chair of the Sports Council trying to kill one of our leading clubs? Who owns the lease on Tolka? What if anything does the Government intend to do about Shels? etc etc.

Why don't you ask Fintan or Finian yourself?

Raheny Red
15/03/2007, 5:50 PM
In fact, I am sure that I read somewhere before that Keely used to teach him in school

In his piece in today's Sun he mentioned that!

CharlesThompson
15/03/2007, 6:16 PM
Jaysus lads, we're really scraping the barrell here.

Well Simon is a celebrity I believe.