PDA

View Full Version : New Pitch(at last!)

sligoman
14/03/2007, 10:32 PM
A new pitch is been rolled out on the Showgrounds in time for the Derry game. The players finally refused to play on the pitch with the condition it's in so the club will be putting a new pitch in place tomorrow.

sligoman
14/03/2007, 10:52 PM
i herd dares 500 cumin down?i doubt it doTheir will be that and more in my opinion. They've been given the blue stand and half of the railway end too. They'll have their own entrance too, same as last season.

neutrino
15/03/2007, 7:56 AM
A new pitch is been rolled out on the Showgrounds in time for the Derry game. The players finally refused to play on the pitch with the condition it's in so the club will be putting a new pitch in place tomorrow.

it's about time. is it costing much ? if not they could have done this ages ago instead of last min rush job. shouldnt take player pressure to get it done.

but hey it's getting done, so well done to em for doing it at last

Fivesilver
15/03/2007, 9:24 AM
A new pitch is been rolled out.

Make sure they nail it down well in the corners.

Seriously, though, judging by the way the lads played it around on the floor against Galway, a good surface is to our own advantage - although if someone could carry around stones and clumps of long grass to toss in front of McCourt, it would be good.

Rory H
15/03/2007, 9:26 AM
bit of a shock, i was looking forward to fenlon freaking out saturday,would have been hilarious

choice will be hot saturday on a nice new pitch:)

akearins
15/03/2007, 10:10 AM
A new pitch to be layed in 48 hours with the weather we are having....doubt it very much.there are rolls of sod behind the shed end but thats for the small part of the pitch which is being extended under UEFA license

Fivesilver
15/03/2007, 10:14 AM
So we can still look forward to a Frodo-fit?

Only1Rovers
15/03/2007, 11:38 AM
I never heard of a pitch being laid and played on in such a short space of time...

Guts&Glory
15/03/2007, 12:58 PM

Not a hope of this happening in 48 hours.

For one why would they wait after three months of closed season to do it.

TWO It would take between 4-6 weeks for the order to be sorted and contractors available to put in place.

THREE Where would the money come from

and FOUR It takes at least two to three weeks for the surface to bed in and thats when th weather isnt as bad as it is now.

You only have to look at the fun and Games Birminhgam went through with their new pitch (costing £150,000) to see what relaying a pitch entails.

Shedzer
15/03/2007, 1:15 PM
to true but is the pitch being extended?

red bellied
15/03/2007, 1:51 PM
Their will be that and more in my opinion. They've been given the blue stand and half of the railway end too. They'll have their own entrance too, same as last season.

According to the Derry forum, alot are put off by the kick off time and the extra hassle of St Patricks Day.

OneRedArmy
15/03/2007, 1:53 PM
According to the Derry forum, alot are put off by the kick off time and the extra hassle of St Patricks Day.
Those posts are predominantly from one Supporters Club. I'd expect 500 odd.

red bellied
15/03/2007, 1:58 PM
There is a parade in Grange after one o clock, Derry crowd would want to be down early to avoid that.

avvenalaf
15/03/2007, 2:03 PM
Now, why would anyone want to avoid a parade in Grange:p

akearins
15/03/2007, 2:49 PM
....well ya know how our northern cousins are about marches

OneRedArmy
15/03/2007, 3:46 PM
....well ya know how our northern cousins are about marchesWe have lots of drums.

It'll be a riot (figuratively).

avvenalaf
15/03/2007, 4:00 PM
Well, the Grange people will be insisting that their parade goes down it's traditional route. I see a major stand off here - definitely a job for Tommy Gorman.

red bellied
15/03/2007, 4:03 PM
Tommy would be ragin, he would have to miss the match.

Redie
15/03/2007, 4:04 PM
Quote 'I never heard of a pitch being laid and played on in such a short space of time...'

Was in Wales on holidays last year and did a tour of the Millenium Stadium, it was the Thursday before the Charity Shield match between Chelsea and Liverpool and they were still rolling out the turf for the pitch, it was shipped in from Holland the night before. Total cost 100,000 pounds.

Redzer
15/03/2007, 6:28 PM
They might roll the pitch, but it's impossible to lay a new pitch in that time frame. I'd say this is a wind up for Fenlon. F**k me, we can't get turnstiles or floodlights, I dont see how we can get a new pitch.

feo123
15/03/2007, 6:36 PM
seen roles of turf behind the goals when i was getting the bus 2 galway last week but wasnt that much and wouldnt cover the pitch

sligoman
15/03/2007, 8:59 PM
For one why would they wait after three months of closed season to do it.Like I said, the players objected. Ever think they realised how well they can play on a proper pitch last week and decided they want this in the Showgies?
TWO It would take between 4-6 weeks for the order to be sorted and contractors available to put in place.It's a volentary(sp?) job as the contracters pulled out. If you want to help, go out to the Showgies tomorrow evening.

SligoBrewer
15/03/2007, 9:07 PM
Like I said, the players objected. Ever think they realised how well they can play on a proper pitch last week and decided they want this in the Showgies?It's a volentary(sp?) job as the contracters pulled out. If you want to help, go out to the Showgies tomorrow evening.

Voluntary;)

sligoman
15/03/2007, 9:09 PM
Voluntary;)If I really wanted to know the correct spelling, I'd have googled it.

SligoBrewer
15/03/2007, 9:09 PM
What time tomorrow night?

Red&White Rover
15/03/2007, 9:35 PM
i see where were going with this...the plan is the pitch wont be ready, so we'll have to play on the astro, the Derry players wont have proper boots up to Ollie's high standards, thus wont be able to field a team an we get the points...

red bellied
16/03/2007, 12:36 PM
There is no new pitch they are just running a roller over it.

neutrino
16/03/2007, 12:45 PM
There is no new pitch they are just running a roller over it.

so where did the Sligoman exclusive come from ?

i was naive to have believed it. They think the roller is general purpose solution for it. oh well :rolleyes:

red bellied
16/03/2007, 12:48 PM
so where did the Sligoman exclusive come from ?

i was naive to have believed it. They think the roller is general purpose solution for it. oh well :rolleyes:

I think he was confused.

Guts&Glory
16/03/2007, 1:02 PM
Look Sligoman your talking rubbish as the points I made earlier still stand and now you are saying the contractor has pulled out.

Again that doesn't add up - you know, I know and everyone on here knows a new pitch will not be rolled out by the time the Derry game comes around so never mind getting defensive - your talking rubbish.

sligoman
16/03/2007, 1:56 PM
Guys, look at my original post. I said a new pitch is been rolled, not layed. Not my fault ye took it up wrong:rolleyes:. Guts and glory, as for your points still standing...eh how? The guys that were lined up to do it pulled out. Did you not understand English?

Guts&Glory
16/03/2007, 2:03 PM

Jesus you are good at moonwalking (backtracking)Sligoman.

Logic would dictate that for you to say 'A new pitch is been rolled out on the Showgrounds' - a new pitch would have to have been in place in the first place.

There is a difference between that and just rolling the pitch that has been there since last season - something that is carried out as regular maintenance of the pitch anyway.

You even commented for me to drop into the Showgfrounds to give them a hand laying the new pitch - more rubbish from you.

Just admit that this was all rubbish and move on.

kkontour
16/03/2007, 2:18 PM
....so the club will be putting a new pitch in place tomorrow.

Guys, look at my original post. I said a new pitch is been rolled, not layed. Not my fault ye took it up wrong:rolleyes:....

you will find you said the club were putting in a new pitch.:rolleyes:

redrov2005
19/03/2007, 12:26 PM
There is a lengthy article in the Champion this week about all the plans for the Showgrounds. Coaching centre of excellence and all that stuff and there is not one mention of improving the existing playing surface which clearly isn't up to standard. Its all bizarre. Interesting too that there still is no mention of a shop/clubhouse.

You would think that with all these people using the proposed facilities that there would somewhere to buy a cup of tea or a bottle of water. It would make sense in terms of making money.

The clubhouse could also house a club shop rather than the hut that like the pitch is past its sell by date.

kkontour
26/03/2007, 11:33 AM
Bumping this up again because after seeing Rovers against Derry at home and Longford away, and reading reports of the galway game it pretty obvious our pitch is our biggest problem.
Galway(away)- good pitch and we played good, passing football.
Derry(home) - terrible pitch and we could'nt string 2 passes together. High ball the only option and doesent suit us.
Longford(away) - decent pitch and eventually we played good passing football.

Home advantage is no longer that.

MervilleUnited
26/03/2007, 3:09 PM
Home advantage is no longer that.

Just thinking that myself, and have spotted LT and the lads doing a lot of training on the astro pitch, which is leading to better technique, but totally usless when playing on a bad pitch.

That said, Spring is here, and any decent horticulture expert knows the methods of promoting growth, and allied with a decent management programme, it could be made decent in six weeks:D

Any Supporters with PHD in Hort(Hons) out there?:eek: