PDA

View Full Version : Best Coverage (print)

Bravo
13/03/2007, 9:09 PM
Lads what paper (s) do ye find give the best EL coverage, reading the Mirror today & it was ****, got the sun aswell & it had a bit more usually buy the star though & find it ok, would be an idea to support the ones with the best coverage me thinks.

sligoman
13/03/2007, 9:11 PM
Sligo Weekender or Sligo Champion:p

Bravo
13/03/2007, 9:17 PM
Sligo Weekender or Sligo Champion:p
will ya go back to bed?

Red&White Rover
13/03/2007, 9:17 PM
The Star...

SligoBrewer
13/03/2007, 10:07 PM
i found the dublin metro to be grand last week.

kept me fairly filled in.

Tis-smeee
14/03/2007, 8:56 AM
The star and when im in dublin I would agree that the metro is great.

bigmac
14/03/2007, 9:25 AM
Irish times, simply because of Emmet Malone. Some of the match reports were a bit on the short side last season but Malone consistently rises above the mire in reporting on EL matters. Fair and balanced, he can discuss the many shortcomings in the league without completely knocking it.

superfrank
14/03/2007, 9:29 AM
Irish times, simply because of Emmet Malone. Some of the match reports were a bit on the short side last season but Malone consistently rises above the mire in reporting on EL matters. Fair and balanced, he can discuss the many shortcomings in the league without completely knocking it.
There were no match reports last Saturday and no article indicating the league season had in fact started.

Agree that Emmet Malone is a strong, non-biased reporter. He did a very good piece recently on the troubles at Shels.

Lim till i die
14/03/2007, 9:32 AM
Lads although I don't buy the rag to give you an idea of what we're up against down here the Munster propaganda sheet's backpage headline yesterday was something along the lines of "Limerick 35 to make home debut" :eek: :o

bigmac
14/03/2007, 9:35 AM
There were no match reports last Saturday and no article indicating the league season had in fact started.

Agree that Emmet Malone is a strong, non-biased reporter. He did a very good piece recently on the troubles at Shels.

Did you get the paper? I read quite a bit in Saturday sports on the Friday night games :confused: Emmet Malone himself wrote a piece on the Bohs Drogs game and there were reports from all other premier games. The sports section on Saturday is separate from the main paper so maybe you missed it.

superfrank
14/03/2007, 9:40 AM
Did you get the paper? I read quite a bit in Saturday sports on the Friday night games :confused: Emmet Malone himself wrote a piece on the Bohs Drogs game and there were reports from all other premier games. The sports section on Saturday is separate from the main paper so maybe you missed it.
The one in the shop must've ripped that page out because the only football coverage in the Irish Times' Sports Section I read last Saturday was regarding English football. :confused:

bigmac
14/03/2007, 9:48 AM
The one in the shop must've ripped that page out because the only football coverage in the Irish Times' Sports Section I read last Saturday was regarding English football. :confused:

yeah something must have happened. There was close to a full page on the EL. The coverage of the Bohs Drogs match was pretty decent (think there might even have been a photo with it) and the other ones were alright. I can PM them or post them up if you want a read.

It's a sign of the overall quality of coverage that your first thought was that there was no coverage - I'd have been the same, yet if there was no rugby/GAA/English football I'd have probably realised that there was a page gone awol.

town73
14/03/2007, 10:22 AM
Could we have a section on foot.ie for the various newspaper stories each day, giving a brief synopsis of what stories (not match reports) are in what paper? I'm between all the members, someone buys each of the daily's.

A bit like the BBC football site's Gossip Column (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6448713.stm)

Dodge
14/03/2007, 10:34 AM
Today's star has loads and laods on the league. 2 pages on Pats, 2 pages on Galway, a page on Rovers and Tallaght and loads of small little bits. Superb stuff

shelbourne1904
14/03/2007, 11:45 AM
Tuesdays Sun had Fixtures as follows:

Tonight
Setanta Cup Derry City v Drogheda.Cork City v St Pats.

They were on the night before and they even had reports on them!!!!!!

On Friday night I went to see Cobh and Limerick and on the way I was listening to Today FM ,Matt Cooper.The sports at 6 oclock omitted that match.I rang them to ask why they didnt read it out and they said they didnt know.Another sports flash at 6.30 still didnt include it.
What is going on with the media???

bigmac
14/03/2007, 12:01 PM
Could we have a section on foot.ie for the various newspaper stories each day, giving a brief synopsis of what stories (not match reports) are in what paper? I'm between all the members, someone buys each of the daily's.

A bit like the BBC football site's Gossip Column (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6448713.stm)

Excellent idea. If there was a sticky created each day and left as a sticky for say - two extra days, there'd be an excellent way to keep track of what papers gave what coverage.

joema
14/03/2007, 12:22 PM

Good idea but no need IMO,just go to www.elevenaside.com - they just recycle all the el nwspapers stories of the dayevery day

WeAreRovers
14/03/2007, 1:37 PM
Today's star has loads and laods on the league. 2 pages on Pats, 2 pages on Galway, a page on Rovers and Tallaght and loads of small little bits. Superb stuff

Good stuff alright, fair play to McCadden. One thing though, surely even the most drug-addled Pats fan wouldn't think that "Bohs are no longer on top of the eircom League's rich list" and "Bohs will be looking on in envy at their rival's finances." :eek:

And the nice respectful piece on the loss of Milltown is illustrated by a picture of our illustrious chairman grinning like a loon. :D

KOH

Dodge
14/03/2007, 1:59 PM
Yeah but you know Bohs fans, never ever happy

WeAreRovers
14/03/2007, 2:22 PM
Yeah but you know Bohs fans, never ever happy

Hadn't thought of that. Connor Out!! ;)

KOH

KoemansCC
14/03/2007, 2:24 PM
Lads although I don't buy the rag to give you an idea of what we're up against down here the Munster propaganda sheet's backpage headline yesterday was something along the lines of "Limerick 35 to make home debut" :eek: :o

Gaffs not confined to rags or radio reports, the scores from this weekend's football action in Ireland, according to
the BBC website:

'Monaghan United 2 - 2 Wexford Youths.
'Shelbourne 2 - 2 Kildare County.
'Cobh Ramblers 0 - 37 Limerick.'

Part of Mediawatch wants to inform the Beeb that Limerick 37 is the name
of the football club, not a scoreline. Another part wants to stay quiet
and enjoy the fun should they ever play 1860 Munich.

Larry 'da' Wyse
14/03/2007, 6:45 PM
Not too keen on tan red-tops so stick to the Irish Examiner and the Irish Times - not sure about this season but the Times didn't bother publishing 1st division results in its Saturday/mind-week paper

Murpholini
14/03/2007, 7:19 PM
It's pot luck during the week to decide which paper to go for but i find the mirror on a friday quite good with a four page pullout and a main interview in the centre pages.

gustavo
15/03/2007, 12:39 PM
The worst is the Sunday Independent ,where you can find Scottish Third Fixtures and results for the week but not Eircom league ones.