PDA

View Full Version : Stories

Paddyfield
13/03/2007, 7:21 PM
There must be millions of funny stories from the League of Ireland that remain untold. Players sometimes tell stories from within the camp and this is a chance to share them. Here's one....
__________________________________________________ ______________
In the early 90's, Galway United signed a player from England called Donal Flynn. Despite his Irish name, he was as English fish & chips.

Galway United player Mark Herrick took him under his wing and showed him the ropes. Flynn's first game was away to Sligo and he didn't know what to expect. As the team bus arrive in Sligo town, Herrick put him at ease and told him what a wonderful place Sligo is and how warm and wonderful the locals are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In fact, William Butler Yeats loved Sligo so much, he chose to be burried there"

"Wow!!" replied Flynn, "Who did he play for?"

LeixlipRed
13/03/2007, 11:00 PM
This isn't an original story and I'm not even sure if it's true but hilarious none the less. When the floodlights at Tolka used to break or the bulbs went, Ollie would phone the Fire Brigade and get them to come down. He'd then send a chap that worked there (the story comes from him) down to Tesco's to buy a box of choc ices while the firemen used the ladder to replace the bulbs. Then when they were finished Ollie would pay them with the choc ices :D Ah Irish football, you can't beat it

BohsPartisan
14/03/2007, 8:10 AM
Then when they were finished Ollie would pay them with the choc ices

Apparantly last year he promised them Magnums but when the job was done he only had lidl choc ices.

hoops1
14/03/2007, 12:51 PM
This isn't an original story and I'm not even sure if it's true but hilarious none the less. When the floodlights at Tolka used to break or the bulbs went, Ollie would phone the Fire Brigade and get them to come down. He'd then send a chap that worked there (the story comes from him) down to Tesco's to buy a box of choc ices while the firemen used the ladder to replace the bulbs. Then when they were finished Ollie would pay them with the choc ices :D Ah Irish football, you can't beat it

Now the players get paid with choc ices instead.

hoopy
14/03/2007, 1:59 PM
The day Rovers were in Limerick(?) and a scuffle was taking place later on after the game outside a pub with fans of both sides. The Rovers team bus that was pasing at the time came to a halt and out jumped Ray Treacy, who promptly joined in :D

Paddyfield
14/03/2007, 6:59 PM
A Waterford United manager knocked down a steward as he (the manager) was driving into Terryland ( afew years before the place was renovated). I'm not 100% sure which manager it was but it definitely happened (mid to late 1980's) and besides, I don't want to frame the wrong man if I get his name wrong.

I was told years later that the ref red carded the said manager as the incident happened inside the confines of the football ground. Could this be true? Why the heck was the WUFC manager not on the team bus in the first place?

Anto McC
14/03/2007, 8:15 PM
There was a thread similar to this not too long ago.

LeixlipRed
14/03/2007, 10:20 PM
Now the players get paid with choc ices instead.

Choc ices are too expensive for the new Shels regime. Bread and water it is. And a Leo Burdock's on match nights

Fivesilver
15/03/2007, 10:36 AM
There's a story about Skip Roderick, a yank who played for Rovers in the 1970s. Freezing in his draughty accommodation in Sligo, he went out to get something to put on the fire. Down the street went the bould Skip, into the shop and asked for a bale of briquettes. He was rewarded with a puzzled stare - seems he'd misunderstood the sign outside reading "Turf Accountant".

MariborKev
16/03/2007, 9:36 AM
This story comes after the election of a new Derry City board around the time of our entry into the eL.

British intelligence agency made discreet enquiries to Northern MPs to see if this was a republican takeover of the club.....

oriel
16/03/2007, 12:48 PM
This story is taken from Glen Hoddle's book.

Dundalk v Spurs 1981 Uefa cup, Oriel, 18,000 at the game, bit of tension in the build up as it was all kicking off in the north, esp hunger strikers etc, Spurs players were all uncomfortable coming over and just wanted to get the game over with. On the pre match warm up an announcement comes over the PA.

'Please can I have your attention'

The spurs players look at each other and some start to feel nervous, fearing the ground was about to be evacuated due to a bomb warning.

The PA continues

'Bovril will be served at half time in the shop under the stand'