PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World Cup 2007

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Sheridan
13/03/2007, 3:29 PM
The tournament is underway with Pakistan facing the West Indies at Sabina Park in Kingston. After 26 overs, WI are 78-3, a score which suggests that mammoth totals may not predominate as some have predicted. Without being too parochial, a Pakistan victory would probably suit Ireland best in this game, as the West Indies would be perceived as the more vulnerable of the seeds in Group D.

Sheridan
13/03/2007, 10:30 PM
West Indies defeated Pakistan by 54 runs. After posting a moderate total of 241, WI throttled Pakistan's batting order, aided by their opponents' failure to pace their innings correctly. Dwayne Smith (32 and 3-36) was ajudged man of the match.

sligoman
13/03/2007, 10:41 PM
When's Ireland's first match?

Sheridan
13/03/2007, 11:05 PM
Thursday, vs. Zimbabwe.

Dublin12
14/03/2007, 9:24 AM
It's a disgrace that you can't even see highlights of the Ireland games on Rte,not a mention anywhere.

Réiteoir
14/03/2007, 11:41 AM
Highlights are on every night on BBC1 around about 11pm if you have access to that channel.

Coverage that the BBC provide is miles better than RTÉ could have done - could you imagine Ger Canning commentating on cricket?

Dublin12
14/03/2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah,I know that but the point is they haven't even bothered to give the Irish team any coverage here in our own country.

Jerry The Saint
14/03/2007, 12:03 PM
- could you imagine Ger Canning commentating on cricket?

Unfortunately, I could. :(

Lara there, immaculate under pressure from the dropping throw ball, drives it down the field.

Better than Brian Carthy off the radio at least

Brian Charles Lara, in the maroon helmet, shaping up for the ball. His uncle once attended a Roscommon minor county final in Dr. Hyde Park. A right-handed shot and a FOUR, a FOUR! The ball goes OVER the boundary and the West Indies have the first score of the game...

pineapple stu
14/03/2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah,I know that but the point is they haven't even bothered to give the Irish team any coverage here in our own country.
Meh. They don't cover Ireland in the tiddlywinks world championships either, no-one cares. It's cricket like. The demand here is hugely limited, especially with the Beeb and Sky (?) covering it anyway.

Thunderblaster
14/03/2007, 9:52 PM
I can see the nation coming to a standstill alright. I can see plenty of emotion when the Irish cricket team takes to the oval!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bluebeard
15/03/2007, 9:38 AM
Never mind Carthy.

Imagine Michéal Ó Muiricheathaigh

And now at the wicket we have Brían Ó Laoighre, an outstanding exponent of the game. He looks to the left, he looks to the right. Anois, fear cumhachtach don Pakistan, Waism Ackraim, leis an liathróid, racing down toward the crease. Lara lets fly, suas, suas, suas leis an Liathróid, he's hit it high, but he's hit it wide, but in this game, that doesn't matter, because he's hit it out over the boundary, sé don fear gorm Seamécánigh, and the Western Indies are chun tosaigh anois, the Western Indies of course being a good deal to the West of the Aran Islands and the Blaskets, but any of you listening to this game on Inishvickilaun, you'll be sure to feel that they are only a sliotar's puck away now. Well, while I've have been talking, a young man in the crowd has thrown down the willow ball to the waiting Pakistani fielder, the willow is a noble wood - not nearly so noble of course as our own ash, noblest of woods that it is, but a noble wood nonetheless..........

geysir
15/03/2007, 9:59 AM
I read the team captain's quotes in the IT today, sounds like he is delving deep into Big Jack's psychology of the 'game plan'.

"They (west indies) got very good players out by applying pressure," says Johnston. "That's what we have to do. We have to bore them out."
"You don't have to be Einstein to work out our strength is our batting," says Johnston. "We've caused some huge upsets chasing."
"We don't want to get too funky about it, we need to play well to our game plan and not mess with blokes' heads too much, because that's when it can go haywire."

razor
15/03/2007, 10:19 AM
Meh. They don't cover Ireland in the tiddlywinks world championships either, no-one cares. It's cricket like. The demand here is hugely limited, especially with the Beeb and Sky (?) covering it anyway.Don't RTE cover hockey? to an extent. Equally small if not smaller demand in this country.
Getting quite a few pages in the Echo down here in Cork, surprising, but welcome all the same.

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 10:53 AM
Newstalk have a reporter out there doing updates everyday. Was listening to the breakfast show for a bit this morning. They assured listeners that the reporter was on a serious mission to cover the cricket and not a trip of a lifetime junket, some very jealous presenters me thinks.

I think we're going to win today too. By a decent margin.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 11:06 AM
And now at the wicket we have Brían Ó Laoighre, an outstanding exponent of the game. He looks to the left, he looks to the right. Anois, fear cumhachtach don Pakistan, Waism Ackraim, leis an liathróid, racing down toward the crease. Lara lets fly, suas, suas, suas leis an Liathróid, he's hit it high, but he's hit it wide, but in this game, that doesn't matter, because he's hit it out over the boundary, sé don fear gorm Seamécánigh, and the Western Indies are chun tosaigh anois, the Western Indies of course being a good deal to the West of the Aran Islands and the Blaskets, but any of you listening to this game on Inishvickilaun, you'll be sure to feel that they are only a sliotar's puck away now. Well, while I've have been talking, a young man in the crowd has thrown down the willow ball to the waiting Pakistani fielder, the willow is a noble wood - not nearly so noble of course as our own ash, noblest of woods that it is, but a noble wood nonetheless..........

:D

Some tripe being spouted in this thread. The Cricket World Cup is by orders of magnitude a bigger event than its egg-chasing equivalent, and far more so than that 6 Nations thing which has been infesting the national media recently. There were showing a schools rugby match on Setanta yesterday ffs, an event which is little more than an elaborate homoerotic fantasy for repressed middle-class males with an unhealthy fixation on schoolboys in shorts.

Australia beat Scotland with ease at the CWC yesterday, and Canada started brightly against Kenya before slumping to a seven wicket defeat.

WeAreRovers
15/03/2007, 11:16 AM

Some tripe being spouted in this thread.

It pains me to say it but I agree with my right honourable friend. The amount of plastic patriots with obligatory chips-on-shoulders deriding our national, all-island cricket team is pathetic.

Unlike the mercenaries in the FAIreland team, the cricket team have performed brilliantly in recent years and actually qualified for the World Cup.

The irony of this St. Patrick's day seeing the 2 most of British of games being played by Irish teams at the very highest level is quite sweet. And I say that as an long-term armchair Republican. Then again, maybe I see being a Republican in different, more inclusive terms than paranoid GAA people.

KOH

NY Hoop
15/03/2007, 11:29 AM
No interest in the sport but hope Ireland do well. Two Rovers fans out there are enjoying themselves immensely:D

KOH

OwlsFan
15/03/2007, 11:50 AM
What the BBC is saying about us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/counties/ireland/6452927.stm

Réiteoir
15/03/2007, 12:06 PM

Actually - John Kenny is out there for RTÉ filing reports and updates to be broadcast during the day.

RTÉ can't offer live commentary as they aren't rights holders for coverage - so reports is all they can do.

Apparently they've also got a camera crew out there with a fella called Robbie Irwin

Just going back to the Canning thing - imagine Brian Carthy doing the commentary in his very annoying nasal style.

Lara looks up, hits it - to the left and wide...

IT'S A RUN FOR LARA, IT'S A RUUUUUN FOR THE COUNTY OF THE WEST INDIES!

pineapple stu
15/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Don't RTE cover hockey? to an extent. Equally small if not smaller demand in this country.
Getting quite a few pages in the Echo down here in Cork, surprising, but welcome all the same.
They cover a few major matches, usually from the national stadium in Belfield about a mile down the road. They've also been known to cover basketball on occasion. In neither instance, however, were the matches being shown on two other channels and in neither instance do the games last an entire day. RTÉ News had a section on the tournament yesterday I think and will be providing some cover, I'm sure.

Best of luck to them, but in the end of the day, it's a rather tedious, minority sport (nothing to do with it being English, just stating my opinion and the opinion of most of the country, it would seem), and if it isn't commercially feasible to send unknowledgeable commentators half way across the world to bring a sport very few people care about which two other channels are bringing us, then you can't really argue with that, to be honest.

bennocelt
15/03/2007, 12:31 PM
reckon ireland can do zimbabwe
11/10 in bookies, so there must be money on them, or rather they know its a good possibility

geysir
15/03/2007, 12:59 PM
I see on Sky Sports - Interactive - Highlights, that the Toss is pretty big.
What time are Ireland on at ?
Right now Sri Lanka (on odds of 1-500) are playing Bermuda.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 1:35 PM
Uh-oh. Ireland have lost the toss and been put in to bat first. White is preferred to Mooney in the team as the selectors choose an extra spinner.

Ireland have just lost a wicket, Porterfield caught off Mpofu in the first over. 0-1.

geysir
15/03/2007, 1:37 PM
Its just started now, bad news I guess, the red shirts have just cought a ball and are dancing around, the boys in green look disconsulate.

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 1:39 PM
Was it first ball first over?
What's that like a platinum duck?

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 1:42 PM
Nah, last ball of the over. 3-1 now. Ball swinging around like a paper airplane by all accounts. Sounds ominous.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 1:56 PM
Quick four and six from Jeremy Bray relieves the mounting pressure somewhat. Ireland 19-1 off 5.2 overs.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 2:20 PM
Ireland in trouble now after a promising partnership between Bray and Morgan. Morgan edges tamely to slip for 21, Niall O'Brien follows immediately, nicking behind on 1. Bray and Botha at the crease now, 44/3.

OneRedArmy
15/03/2007, 2:21 PM
Not a great start given the fielders are in for the horribly named "powerplay".

I actually thought we had a chance in this match. Need Bray to put up a big score, although if the pitch is as interesting as Sheridan says it is, then a low total may not necessarily put it outside our reach.

West Indies in Sion Mills anyone?!

Dublin12
15/03/2007, 2:39 PM
64 for 3
after 13.5 overs

current run rate 4.63

Dublin12
15/03/2007, 2:42 PM
65 for 4:rolleyes:

Réiteoir
15/03/2007, 3:15 PM
Stabalised somewhat - and are currently 90/5

Bray about to hit Ireland's first half century in a World Cup.

Can't see them posting up more than 170 if this continues

passinginterest
15/03/2007, 3:18 PM
If the pitch is as dodgy as been suggested and they can fight out to 200 they might have a chance.

Schumi
15/03/2007, 3:24 PM
What's a powerplay?

DvB
15/03/2007, 3:26 PM
What's a powerplay?

One-day cricket is all about scoring quickly - it's the fielding side's job to keep the runs down and pick up wickets.
Unlike Test cricket, the fielders are spread out to save the runs.

In July 2005, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced changes to the way one-day cricket is played.

Before, for the first 15 overs, nine fielders, including the bowler and the wicketkeeper, have to be inside a 30-yard (27.5m) circle when the ball is bowled.

The circle is marked out by markers five yards (4.5m) apart, so the fielders - and umpires - know where to stand.

However under the new rules called Powerplays, the fielding restrictions are replaced by three blocks totalling 20 overs.

Powerplays are signalled by the umpire

During the first 10 overs, now known as Powerplay 1, only two fielders may be outside the fielding circle and at least two must be in catching positions.

Two more blocks of five overs, known as Powerplay 2 and Powerplay 3, are available to the fielding captain at any time with the same rules applying, but must be used in a 50-over innings.

Usually the fielding team will start with a third man and a fine leg to give the bowler protection on the off and leg side.

With a brand new ball the bowlers should get movement, so you'll usually see a couple of slips and a gully to snap up those edges.

The team's best - and quickest - fielders will often be at point and the covers.

Batsmen will be looking to drop the ball into gaps for quick singles, so it's up to these two to close down the space quickly and force run-outs.

With only two fielders outside of the inner circle, the batsman can smash the bowlers past the fielders for those boundaries and sixes in front of the wicket.

Réiteoir
15/03/2007, 3:26 PM
During the first 15 overs of an innings the fielding team cannot have more than two players outside of a circle marked on the pitch (can't remember the exact dimensions) - meaning that scoring boundaries should, in theory, be much much easier for the batting side.

103/5 is the latest btw - at least the hundred is up

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 3:28 PM
105/5, Bray (58) and White (4) at the crease. Tricky phase of the game for Ireland now. The run rate is beginning to sag but they can't risk losing another wicket. Zimbabwe seem to be bowling superbly.

Schumi
15/03/2007, 3:39 PM
113/5 after 30 overs now. Any views on what would be a good total? Would 200 be any use?

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 3:42 PM
They'll be doing well to register 200 if the next wicket falls anytime soon. 240 is probably the best they can hope for. I have a feeling that would be competitive, as I fancy Ireland's bowlers to do well.

pete
15/03/2007, 4:16 PM
BBC:

39th over: Ire 145-6
In comes skipper Trent Johnston. If you're wondering where he got that Aussie-style name from, the answer's simple - Australia. He's also got even less of an Irish accent than Tom Cruise in 'Far and Away'.

I suppose he is not less Irish than Pietersen, Joyce etc..?

154 for 6 (38.5 overs), Bray fella on 77. Current run rate on for 200 exactly.

Réiteoir
15/03/2007, 4:19 PM

Just got in from work - switched on BBC Radio 4 to listen to the Ireland game on "Test Match Special" - and John Kenny's doing the main commentary on the game.

Last time I heard him was last Friday night at some eircom League game :D

Extremely unusual experience - but very reassuring...

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 4:21 PM
He's lived here a lot longer than the vast majority of "our" football internationals.

170/6 now, eight overs left. Bray still there on 87, Kevin O'Brien last man out for 28, after forging a useful 56 run partnership with Bray. Johnston the new man in on 12. A big hitter but just as likely to hole out. McCallan next man in can bat, Langford-Smith less so, Rankin next to useless with the bat.

Rain has stopped play. Could be bad news for Ireland if the Duckworth/Lewis equation comes into play as their run-rate isn't great and they've lost a lot of wickets.

OneRedArmy
15/03/2007, 4:30 PM
They'll be doing well to register 200 if the next wicket falls anytime soon. 240 is probably the best they can hope for. I have a feeling that would be competitive, as I fancy Ireland's bowlers to do well.Rain stopped play.

I mentioned Sion Mills above, when Ireland bowled the Windies for 25 all out on a muddy wicket to win by 9 runs.

More rain!

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 4:40 PM
Play set to resume in about five minutes. Rain delays are notorious for precipitating the fall of wickets. This doesn't look good. :(

geysir
15/03/2007, 4:41 PM
I have too many questions right now.
I guess Ireland have to score as many runs as possible within 50 overs.
Their batting day is over when 50 overs are completed or they run out of batsmen.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 4:42 PM
Yep, that simple.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 4:51 PM
182/7, Johnston gets himself run out stupidly. All rests on McCallan and Bray (91*) now.

Sheridan
15/03/2007, 4:54 PM
McCallan stumped for nought. :mad:

182/8.

Drogman.
15/03/2007, 4:58 PM
Not good at all.

Hopefully Zimbabwe will have an off day on the bat :(

Réiteoir
15/03/2007, 5:04 PM
Jeremy Bray gets the first ever century by an Irish batsman in a World Cup

Well deserved :cool: