View Full Version : Interview with Drogheda Chairman

Pages : [1] 2

Rossi
12/03/2007, 1:07 PM
http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=965

Philly
12/03/2007, 3:47 PM
Great.

Another club throwing all it's eggs into the one risky development basket.

Your fans should be worried.

pete
12/03/2007, 4:11 PM
This has been debated elsewhere & while i'd love Drogs to get into new stadium based on rising tide approach to the league I am a bit suspicious of the full details now...

Philly
12/03/2007, 4:17 PM
Yeah.

I mean he talks as if the 5,000 houses are just a little aspect of the project....

That's a new town.

pete
12/03/2007, 4:25 PM
I mean he talks as if the 5,000 houses are just a little aspect of the project....That's a new town.

Last years census says population of Drogheda was 28,000 so 5,000 houses is conservatively a 50% increase & I suspect its crossing into Meath so might involve different local authorities...

:confused:

Louth4sam
12/03/2007, 4:34 PM
Yeah.

I mean he talks as if the 5,000 houses are just a little aspect of the project....

That's a new town.

He wants the county council to support a "variation" of the proposed development. The variation in this case is 5000 houses. I really cant see them getting permission for this. If vincent hoey loved the club as much as he says he does he would help develop utd park not gamble the clubs future like this.

Philly
12/03/2007, 5:01 PM
It's the fact he says Drogheda will be no more if this falls through that worries me.

The League doesn't need another club shutting it's doors.

OneRedArmy
12/03/2007, 5:21 PM
Property developer takes control of football club, makes lots of noises about making the bigtime ("I wanna be a contender") then uses clubs future as bargaining chip ("won't somebody think of the children") to further enrich himself....

Who'd have thunk it? :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
12/03/2007, 5:21 PM
If you assume an average of three people per house (not sure how realistic that is, but it can't be too wrong), you're looking at building Sligo. Not exactly something which is going to happen overnight, as he seems to want.

The text was sent out to everyone registered on irishfootienetwork.com as well. He's said he can only afford to bankroll the club for another year; they ran up losses of a million in 2005 alone, so I can well believe he can't afford it for much longer. Can't see the ground being built in a year, to be honest. Could be the last chance for Drogheda to win the league...

Philly
12/03/2007, 5:43 PM
It's Meath. The average per house is like 9 or something :p

Poor Student
12/03/2007, 6:23 PM
It's the fact he says Drogheda will be no more if this falls through that worries me.

The League doesn't need another club shutting it's doors.

Given that UCD had to put 600 seats into Belfield Park to be allowed to host Premier games this season (and that's in spite of the fact we're moving ground next season), I think the threat of Drogs losing a licence if they're stuck in United Park is very real.

I hope Drogs haven't offered those good contracts to last past this season.

Bald Student
12/03/2007, 7:37 PM
Given that UCD had to put 600 seats into Belfield Park to be allowed to host Premier games this season (and that's in spite of the fact we're moving ground next season), I think the threat of Drogs losing a licence if they're stuck in United Park is very real.Unless Drogs put temporary seats into the ground somewhere. I think the Drogs are playing up the scare to force the council's hand.

Mr A
12/03/2007, 9:14 PM
If you assume an average of three people per house (not sure how realistic that is, but it can't be too wrong), you're looking at building Sligo.

In fairness, it'd be a national fooking tragedy if we made that mistake again.

Snoop Drog
13/03/2007, 2:30 AM
If vincent hoey loved the club as much as he says he does he would help develop utd park

Yep, stick up a 2,000 seater stand in those 10 acres that we aren't currently using :rolleyes:
I understand you don't get a chance to visit prmier team grounds L4S but we are just up the road- You would see there is no space to develop United Park.

I think, after all the years, Hoey's loyalty does not need questioning by a Gah Lovin' bonehead like yourself.

rerun
13/03/2007, 7:16 AM
Yeah.

That's a new town.

Considering that the infrastructure for new developments in Meath hasn't kept pace with the amount of houses being built in the first place (Stamullen was without water for a week February last year) I can't see Meath Co.Co. wanting to invest in more development that mightn't already be in the regional development plan.

oriel
13/03/2007, 8:02 AM
To be fair to Snoop on this one, there is no room for movement in utd park, behind one goal is tiny and the other zero space, similar limited space on the stand side. The only area to improve would be the home terracing, this would be perfect for seating, but this would only house 2,000 max, and only use the current space due to the gaa ground which it backs on to. The ground is in a great location, its just the size that the problem, they have got to move full stop.

Would the Lourdes Stadium not be an option to buy and re-develop ?

paudie
13/03/2007, 8:03 AM
There is almost an air of panic in the Chairman's interview that worries me.

Talk of the club not having a licence next season unless planning permission is granted isn't what you want to hear.

Jerry The Saint
13/03/2007, 9:43 AM
The only area to improve would be the home terracing, this would be perfect for seating, but this would only house 2,000 max, and only use the current space due to the gaa ground which it backs on to.

Of course, in a sane country Drogheda and the Louth County Board would pool their land and resources, avail of massive grants that would surely come their way from FAI, GAA and government sources and build a kick-ass stadium with plenty of ancillary facilities...

Sorry, that's just a silly idea, don't know what I was thinking. I went a bit mad for a second there, Ted.

Louth4sam
13/03/2007, 11:00 AM
I think, after all the years, Hoey's loyalty does not need questioning by a Gah Lovin' bonehead like yourself.

Fair enough he may be loyal but he must be the bonehead if he thinks a county council will increase the size of a town by 50% just for a league of Ireland club. You really need to cop yourselves on and come up with a proper solution to your problem as email county councillors isnt it!!

ciaraa
13/03/2007, 11:11 AM
Fair enough he may be loyal but he must be the bonehead if he thinks a county council will increase the size of a town by 50% just for a league of Ireland club. You really need to cop yourselves on and come up with a proper solution to your problem as email county councillors isnt it!!

Good point (apart from the 'you need to cop yerselfs on' bit - not everyone has the advantage of insight you know). Certain people are using the predicament of the club to serve their own interests. I would be amazed if those cllrs voted 5-0 in favour of this crazy project going ahead.

Louth4sam
13/03/2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry Ciaraa i just meant some of the Drogs fans think that this is the only solution. Has the club looked at other areas? Have they tried to go back to the louth co co? Is there any junior clubs grounds that might be able to facilitate the drogs if they were done up? I think its a massive gamble to take that has no chance of coming off. It'll be bad for the league if drogheda go to the wall.

blackholesun
13/03/2007, 12:24 PM
While I wish any LOI club trying to develop facilities the best, its fairly obvious here that Drogs are being used by a consortium of builders as a lever to try to get their way with Meath CoCo.

Cant see Meath CoCo being rush or bullied into this kinda decision lightly ... This WILL drag on for years!

bhs

Mr A
13/03/2007, 5:56 PM
It does seem that this is a property deal with a stadium development as a fig leaf to pressure the counsillors. If I were a Drogheda fan I'd be very, very worried.

pineapple stu
13/03/2007, 9:40 PM
Cant see Meath CoCo being rush or bullied into this kinda decision lightly ... This WILL drag on for years!
No it won't - Drogheda will be bankrupt or kicked out of United Park before then.

ciaraa
14/03/2007, 12:06 PM
Sorry Ciaraa i just meant some of the Drogs fans think that this is the only solution. Has the club looked at other areas? Have they tried to go back to the louth co co? Is there any junior clubs grounds that might be able to facilitate the drogs if they were done up? I think its a massive gamble to take that has no chance of coming off. It'll be bad for the league if drogheda go to the wall.

Its a sticky situation for sure. I believe other areas have been looked at but the problem is the massive cost of land coupled with the massive current development work on both sides of the river but especially the south side (to facilitate the daily commuter-ites). Other areas like Colpe and Beamore (southside) were mentioned but I think the cost of what is essentially prime development land was a hinderance. I really dont know of an easy solution. I dont know the state of Lourdes stadium which would be an athletics track first and foremost so its suitability (or accesibility for DUFC) would be debatable. Funnily enough the Louth County Ground is nearly on the same plot of land as UTD PArk. If the 2 organisations could pool resources it would be great - A nice 8,000 - 12,000 capacity stadium (no need for all seater in my opinion) that would definitely be big enough for any occasion either team might find itself in.
Of course we all know the likelyhood of this happening.

John83
14/03/2007, 12:32 PM
No it won't - Drogheda will be bankrupt or kicked out of United Park before then.
One thing that isn't clear to me - why are they in danger of losing United Park? Why would the FAI kick them out?

pineapple stu
14/03/2007, 12:34 PM
Doesn't meet licencing.

I think it was Hoey who was saying it in his e-mail (open to correction here), but the basic idea is that the FAI gave all clubs a derogation on improving their grounds a couple of years ago (and rightly so, because you can't just build 3000 seats like that). That's why ground criteria were suspended for a period. Many clubs - Athlone being the most obvious example - have used the time to get their grounds up to spec. Drogheda, however, haven't (assuming the new ground doesn't come on stream before the start of the new season) and it appears the FAI from next year will start refusing licences for poor grounds.

That's my interpretation of what's being said; not necessarily fact, of course.

OneRedArmy
14/03/2007, 12:37 PM
Applying common sense, surely the value of the United Park site (urban) is considerably more valuable than surburban/rural land outside the town.

So why not do a Bohs (albeit on a smaller scale), swop the land for a completed stadium outside the town (or a significant contribution to a stadium)?

I can see no footballing need for the new ground to be tied into a wider property deal, save for the reasons outlined above, ie as a fig leaf for an otherwise unpalettable contraversion of the local area plan.

John83
14/03/2007, 12:38 PM
Applying common sense, surely the value of the United Park site (urban) is considerably more valuable than surburban/rural land outside the town.
It seems to have been implied that they can't afford the building costs without selling some houses too.

pineapple stu
14/03/2007, 12:39 PM
And also, the FAI own the ground (or a decent part of it).

OneRedArmy
14/03/2007, 1:51 PM
Okay, from the above it appears that that the FAI own a share of the ground, therefore Drogs share isn't enough to buy a greenfield site and build a ground.

But were the two previous sites identified not standalone, ie the only objective was to construct a stadium?

What has changed since then that requires 5,000 houses to fund the stadium?

Last year lots of the Drogs fans were on here telling everyone the stadium would be in place within a year. They obviously got this impression from within the club.

The whole thing stinks tbh.

At least in Derry's case the fans expectations have been managed appropriately, we are (unforttunately) well aware the ground re-development will be a long slog over the next 5-10 years.

Bald Student
14/03/2007, 1:54 PM
Okay, from the above it appears that that the FAI own a share of the ground, therefore Drogs share isn't enough to buy a greenfield site and build a ground.My understanding is that the FAI own united park from the last time Drogs went bust. The deal is that Drogs can keep the bulk of any sale money so long as it goes towards a new stadium.

oriel
14/03/2007, 2:06 PM
And also, the FAI own the ground (or a decent part of it).
`

The FAI own 100% of Utd Pk, also they have a clause in the deeds that it cant be sold until Drogs have been re-located (and playing) in another location.

Quite a smart move by the fai you have to say, as I think they purchased it for a nominal figure in the early 90's, and at least this clause protects the long term future of football in drogs.

Louth4sam
14/03/2007, 2:18 PM
As far as i know it was bought for £40,000. I remember a few years ago someone telling me that there was a deal that the drogs could buy it back at the price that the FAI paid for it as long as it was being used for football. Not sure if thats true or not

Philly
14/03/2007, 2:25 PM
If the FAI own the stadium and Drogheda are just tenants, is it not at least partly the FAI's responsibility to keep it up to licensing requirements?

Celdrog
14/03/2007, 2:49 PM
As far as i know it was bought for £40,000. I remember a few years ago someone telling me that there was a deal that the drogs could buy it back at the price that the FAI paid for it as long as it was being used for football. Not sure if thats true or not
Spot on. We pay something like 40-60k back to the FAI and keep the remaining money providing it is used for a football stadium. Pretty fair when you think of it
There was a meeting of east meath cc this morning and the motion to prepare the local area plan for the Drogheda environs as a matter of urgency was passed unanimously. Its the first step buts its encouraging.
http://dominichannigan.blogspot.com/

Philly
14/03/2007, 3:03 PM
Does Rule 42 not just apply to Croker?

OneRedArmy
14/03/2007, 3:14 PM
Spot on. We pay something like 40-60k back to the FAI and keep the remaining money providing it is used for a football stadium. Pretty fair when you think of it
There was a meeting of east meath cc this morning and the motion to prepare the local area plan for the Drogheda environs as a matter of urgency was passed unanimously. Its the first step buts its encouraging.
http://dominichannigan.blogspot.com/Right, this still doesn't add up.

You are sitting on high value urban land worth many millions which you only have to pay 40k to buyback.

Why do you need to build 5,000 houses to fund a stadium development?

Celdrog
14/03/2007, 3:24 PM
Right, this still doesn't add up.
You are sitting on high value urban land worth many millions which you only have to pay 40k to buyback.
Why do you need to build 5,000 houses to fund a stadium development?
The Drogs are not building the houses. The developer is building them. Part of the entire plan is to build the stadium and associated sporting village. The stadium will then belong to the Drogs and United Park will belong to the developer (with the FAI getting their few quid).
Its very similar to the Bohs deal except the cost of the stadium is apparently the value of United Park. For Bohs the cost of building the stadium is far less than the value of Dalyer hence the additional money.

Louth4sam
14/03/2007, 4:08 PM
It doesnt matter anyway as its a club side that owns the gaelic grounds not Louth GAA.

TommyT
14/03/2007, 4:28 PM
It doesnt matter anyway as its a club side that owns the gaelic grounds not Louth GAA.

Why would Drogheda Fíorgaelfeniandefendersofthesacredheart, or whatever their name is, be any more or less amenable to sharing with a proper sport ?

pineapple stu
14/03/2007, 5:28 PM
The Drogs are not building the houses. The developer is building them. Part of the entire plan is to build the stadium and associated sporting village.
5000 houses is rather excessive as a sporting village, don't you think?

It's very similar to the Bohs deal except the cost of the stadium is apparently the value of United Park.
It couldn't possibly be similar or Hoey wouldn't be saying how the 5000 houses are essential to fund the stadium.

Celdrog
14/03/2007, 6:20 PM
5000 houses is rather excessive as a sporting village, don't you think?
It couldn't possibly be similar or Hoey wouldn't be saying how the 5000 houses are essential to fund the stadium.
The sporting village is the stadium, astro pitches, tennis cours, leisure centre. 20 acres of sporting facilities. Houses are separate.
Its similar to the Bohs deal in that the developer is building the stadium.

Dodge
14/03/2007, 7:31 PM
5,000 houses mean a population of roughly 15,000

Thats a good sized town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_popula tion

OneRedArmy
14/03/2007, 8:40 PM
on the five thousand houses thing,everyones saying its the size of balbriggan.well i do be in there a lot and i think balbriggan is bigger than thatIs the point not that there was no mention of the stadium being contingent on a housing development (of any size) in the previous two sites that "fell through" and now suddenly its 5,000 houses or no stadium.

Bald Student
14/03/2007, 10:43 PM
The sporting village is the stadium, astro pitches, tennis cours, leisure centre. 20 acres of sporting facilities.So why not apply for planning for the stadium and sports facilities seperatly from the houses?

pete
15/03/2007, 3:18 PM
Is the point not that there was no mention of the stadium being contingent on a housing development (of any size) in the previous two sites that "fell through" and now suddenly its 5,000 houses or no stadium.

That was my understanding too. I thought the sports village was required to fund the extra few million different between value of United park land & cost of new stadium.

:confused:

Philly
15/03/2007, 4:49 PM
If Rule 42 applies to all GAA grounds then why are the GAA so eager to share Tallaght?

BohsPartisan
15/03/2007, 5:01 PM
on the five thousand houses thing,everyones saying its the size of balbriggan.well i do be in there a lot and i think balbriggan is bigger than that

Balbriggan has a pop of around 10,000 so Drogville would most probably be bigger!

Philly
15/03/2007, 5:03 PM
Ah so a GAA ground constitutes a ground owned by the GAA, while they can play GAA in any ground? Maybe that's it? I know they are now angry that Landsdowne won't be big enough to host GAA matches, so their stance on the whole issue is a tad confusing...