PDA

View Full Version : Looking bad for Drogheda!

brandywellpride
07/01/2003, 9:32 PM
This was writen in the Derry journal today and also posted on the EL forum.

After reading what you's (the supporters) are trying to do I do feel sorry for you's but it is clear that your present and former board have been fuking up for at least five years.

The Article........................................... ......

DROGHEDA TO BE EXPELLED FROM EIRCOM LEAGUE?
ARTHUR DUFFY January 7, 2003

"Can't have one rule for one club and another for another" - Roddy

THE CONTROVERSIES which cast dark clouds over the eircom League last season surrounding registration difficulties, could well move onto a new level next Monday night in Dublin with the possibility that relegation-threatened Drogheda United may be expelled before the end of the season!

The difficulties have come to light following the news that the limited company controlling the club, 'Hinge Trading,' had been struck off over 18 months ago, yet the eircom League had not been informed by the O2 Park club.
However, in November last year, Drogheda met with the eircom League Board of Control seeking a 50,000 euro loan claiming they were experiencing cash flow problems. That proposal had been discussed and, in light of the Board's refusal to grant Derry City a loan two and a half years earlier, Drogheda's request was also refused.
But the Sunday after the proposal had been made, the "Ireland on Sunday" newspaper exposed Drogheda's severe financial difficulties and the problem has snowballed since then.
Having been made aware of the developments last November, Derry City chairman, Jim Roddy, demanded that "all clubs" must produce documentation to prove that they were bona fide members of the league and could satisfy Rule 10 of the eircom League handbook which deals with the conditions for membership.
And that bold step by the Derry chairman, appears to have shaken the very foundations of the league. However, commenting before next Monday night's meeting in Dublin, Mr. Roddy steadfastly refused to ignore the difficulties.
"Firstly, may I state that I found it very painful to put my complaints forward having been involved in a football club which was forced out of senior soccer for 13 years in the past.
"But, first and foremost, I am chairman of Derry City Football Club and my priority is to represent the club at Board of Control level," he said last night.
"Two and a half years ago, Derry City found itself in significant financial difficulties. We sought a loan from the league but it was refused and since the article appeared in the 'Ireland on Sunday,' I must act on behalf of Derry City - there simply can't be one law for one club and another for another," claimed the chairman.
"In our meeting with the eircom League back in August 2000, we were told that if our controlling company, Wellvan Enterprises Ltd., had been wound up then that would be the end of Derry City. They gave it to us straight and simple. There was to be no loan and it was up to us, as a club, to sort our own problems out."
Turned It Around
"We took on board everything that was said. We then informed our supporters of the situation and, thanks to the help of the local community and others, we turned the situation around.
"While I know I will not be be popular in certain circles for stating this, but if it was good enough for Derry City, then it must also be good enough for Drogheda United and any other club which contravenes the rules," continued Mr. Roddy.
The "Ireland on Sunday" article claimed that Drogheda had not made tax returns for a five year period; rent on houses let for members of their full-time playing staff had not been paid; players had not received wages on occasions and, interestingly, the rent for O2 Park which, incidentally, is owned by the F.A.I., had not been paid for some time either.
"I found it very difficult to force this issue at the Board of Control meeting last November but I believe it's vitally important that the league moves forward with integrity and honour and put past controversies behind us.
"But rather than single out Drogheda United, I asked that each club provide documentation which fulfils the requirements contained in Rule 10, proving that they are bona fide members of the league. This documentation was to be received by December 20th and I would expect to receive a report on the clubs who have responded next Monday night," suggested the chairman.
"Totally Unacceptable"
Mr. Roddy also agreed that it was "totally unacceptable" from his point of view, that clubs should be allowed to operate while trading illegally.
"Drogheda United actually signed three full-time players before the Transfer Window closed and, two weeks later, they did not have the necessary finance to service those contracts. The players involved couldn't join other clubs due the closing of the window and the difficulties seemed set to spiral out of control.
"Where's the level playing field? As chairman of another club, I simply can't accept that.
"If we are living within our means, how can Drogheda United have greater spending power than us? I've no intention of sitting at meetings in Dublin and not fully represent Derry City, therefore, I feel I owe it to myself and my club that I seek assurances from every other club that we're operating on a level playing field."
Mr. Roddy returned to Derry City's well publicised difficulties 30 months ago. "The eircom League informed us that if we failed to keep afloat, Derry City was gone, the same scenario must, therefore, apply to Drogheda United and others who contravene the rules.
"It's been very difficult for me to stand up and force this issue but I believe I would be letting myself and my club down if I had not taken this stance."
The Derry chairman rejected claims that many would view his decision as a safety net, considering the fact that Derry are also being threatened with the possibility of a relegation play-off.
"The Drogheda situation came to light back in November and at that time, few would have believed Derry City or, indeed, Drogheda United, would be battling against relegation," answered Mr. Roddy.
Should clubs fail to satisfy the eircom League of their bona fides, then the Board of Control has the power, under Rule 10 (l) to exclude teams from the league during any season if they fail to meet their financial commitments.
Mr. Roddy also made it clear that he received the full backing of the Board when putting his proposal forward back in November.
Amnesty For All?
One suggestion to side-step the difficulty would be the possibility of declaring an amnesty but that move, as far as Mr. Roddy was concerned, would be a non-starter.
"That would mean burying the problem - it would still exist. The best thing Derry City did was to face the general public who came out to help us. We cannot let those people down by trading recklessly.
"We can't continue to bury the issue - just one problem after another. This must be sorted out for the good of the league and the good of those teams affiliated to it.
"From a Derry City point of view, what we achieved two and a half years ago, was the best thing that has ever happened to us. We've now stabilised the club to such an extent that we are able to plan for the future with confidence."
Turning to the new UEFA Licensing system, Mr. Roddy, openly admitted that his club would be well prepared for the necessary changes when implemented next year.
"While no one wants to see clubs going out of business, the new UEFA Licensing system may, unfortunately, bring causalities. It will be, without doubt, the best thing to happen to Irish football for quite some time. However, local clubs must be prepared for it as it will bring significant changes," he concluded.

It makes for sad reading and maybe when it was asked in early november things wouldn't be as bad as they are now?

woodie2
08/01/2003, 7:10 AM
Whats your point?. Your the only club who are harping on about Drogheda's financial irregularities. The club has now got things under control.Tell me what club in the eircom league that have not had problems.Drogheda are goin to stay up this year and will be a force next season.

DrummerDrog
08/01/2003, 7:21 AM
The official line (that has been reported) is that DUFC have a committee in place that will report to FAI by Jan 13th. EL soccer is struggling to keep its head above water - removing a team like DUFC from the league would be the first nail in the EL coffin - how many are in worse position ??? You would have a 10 league team with no 1st division soon enough.

Arthur Murphy must be looking for a job on IoS (or some other tabloid) ... why don't these so called soccer journalists wait until there is FACT to report and not just speculate this rubbish. If DUFC are thrown out, let it come from the EL Board - not a half-guessing journalist. Its worse than the journalism about the RoI job, all guess work with no official comment.

Sean Drog
08/01/2003, 8:30 AM
all this is old news so why had Jim Roddy plastered this all over the press again with a week remianing before our submission to the league and our big game against UCD?

Do you not think he should have waited to hear whjat Drogheda United have to say at the meeting on Monday in their defense? before repeating what he has read in the papers?

I have asked an honest question and I would like an honest answer to why you think he has done it.

RedHat
08/01/2003, 9:19 AM
DROGHEDA UNITED'S future as a Eircom League club will be decided by next Monday night's Board of Control meeting.

The beleaguered Co Louth club will make a presentation to the Board outlining the steps they have taken to turn things around.

Two groups of local businessmen have come together to pump money into the club and a new six man board of directors has been elected.

Representatives of the club met yesterday with Eircom League officials and supplied them with some of the information sought by the League before Christmas.

Drogheda director Joe Fay, a former player with the club, said that they were confident of retaining their membership.

"We were satisfied with the way the meeting went yesterday and will outline to the Board of Control the new structure within the club and how we intend to take care of things until the end of the season and beyond. I would be very, very surprised if anything happens to us now," said Fay.

League Manager Tommy Allen said he would be giving the Board of Control a full picture of what has happened at Drogheda.

Allen added that the majority of clubs have now responded to his request for financial and legal information under Rule 10 and was confident every club will have replied satisfactorily by the end of this week.

However, it appears that Drogheda are facing a major fight to retain their League membership as many clubs are furious at the way the club has traded this season.

They believe that Drogheda have been in breach of the membership conditions of the Eircom League since their holding company was dissolved two years ago and some, like Derry City chairman Jim Roddy, feel the League cannot ignore such a serious transgression.

"Two and a half years ago when we were in financial difficulties the League told us that if our holding company went bust or was dissolved we would be out of football," said Roddy.

"I know I will not be popular in certain circles for stating this, but if it was good enough for Derry City, then it must also be good enough for Drogheda United and any other club which contravenes the rules.

"Drogheda United actually signed three full-time players before the transfer window closed and, two weeks later, they did not have the necessary finance to service those contracts. Where's the level playing field? As chairman of another club, I simply can't accept that," said Roddy.

If Drogheda are found to be in breach of Rule 10 they could be expelled from the League but would be entitled to seek re-election at this year's AGM, albeit for a place in the First Division.

brandywellpride
08/01/2003, 11:55 AM
"Whats your point?. Your the only club who are harping on about Drogheda's financial irregularities. The club has now got things under control."

Derry are not the only club harping on about Drogheda's financial irregularities.

"However, it appears that Drogheda are facing a major fight to retain their League membership as _many clubs are furious_ at the way the club has traded this season"

"Do you not think he should have waited to hear whjat Drogheda United have to say at the meeting on Monday in their defense? before repeating what he has read in the papers?"

An answer to your question Seán.

"Representatives of the club met yesterday with Eircom League officials and supplied them with some of the information sought by the League before Christmas"

Yesterday was almost two weeks after Christmas Seán and as JR is on that board maybe the answers were not good enough?I dont know what was said as I dont have any inside knowledge since I first posted on the EL board in november,only what I read online and in the papers.

I think Drogheda have been a great addition to the premier league this season and it's you's the fans who are suffering because of bad management at your club.

DruggyDrog
08/01/2003, 12:13 PM
While its not nice to see other clubs attempting to get us kicked out, we must remember one important fact.

Its not Jim Roddy, Derry City, The Board Of Control, the Media or any representative of any other EL club that have put us in this position. If we want to point the finger of blame, then we don't have to look far.

What would be saying if Craptown had breached these rules? Well we'd be a hell of a lot more vocal and confrontational that Derry.

Let the decisions be made, if we're booted then its our own fault, (because the last thing the EL wants to do is expel a club), if we're not, then we must ensure that such scenarios are things of the past.