PDA

View Full Version : Athlone's new Stadium

Pages : [1] 2

Magicme
12/03/2007, 11:22 AM
I went to their first game in the new stadium as a neutral and have to say that the whole stadium is wonderful. Earlier in the day I got a good look around and when all the work is completely finished it will be amazing.

I was up in the press box when Athlone scored their first goal and the sound (and indeed vibrations - my toes still tingle at the feeling I got at the vibration of the crowd below cheering) was phenomenal.

Anyway, best of luck to Athlone & all the teams who will play there, was delighted they won on their first game there but hope that is the last win that I get to witness there.

Premier teams, pray you get Athlone away in the cup so that you can see it for yourselves!

Thanks to the Cootes again for their wonderful hospitality too.

NY Hoop
12/03/2007, 12:01 PM
Was there a camera at it?

KOH

Ash
12/03/2007, 12:03 PM
Not sure if the Club have a recording but one of our Supporters Club
members, Battery Rover here, will be uploading footage of the game
this week so he'll give ye a shout when its done.

pete
12/03/2007, 12:15 PM
I believe the main stand is 2000 capacity? Does this run the full length of the pitch?

Is the remainder of the ground gravel for now?

Ash
12/03/2007, 12:21 PM
The main stand holds just over 2000. Cant remember the exact figure.

Gravel standing area behind 1 goal and the far wing at the moment.

It doesnt run the full lenght of the pitch due to the floodlights and a
side entrance to the stand.

Peadar
12/03/2007, 1:00 PM
So is it a stadium or a stand?

Ash
12/03/2007, 1:08 PM
So is it a stadium or a stand?

The stand is phase 1 of the stadium

OneRedArmy
12/03/2007, 3:09 PM
So is it a stadium or a stand?Think Bishopstown.

Peadar
12/03/2007, 3:11 PM
Think Bishopstown.

So you think Athlone will be stuck on Phase 1 forever then?

Philly
12/03/2007, 3:44 PM
I believe they hope to start phase two really quickly.

Although (no offence to Athlone) they probably don't need another 2000 seats right now - no club averaged over 2000 at games last season except Derry sure

gael353
12/03/2007, 7:32 PM
Think Bishopstown.

Far from it. Believe me this is by far the best stand in the LOI. Nothing and i mean nothing (even the new one in Turners X) comes close. Great design and well done to Athlone for showing the proper way on how its done.

OneRedArmy
12/03/2007, 8:00 PM
Far from it. Believe me this is by far the best stand in the LOI. Nothing and i mean nothing (even the new one in Turners X) comes close. Great design and well done to Athlone for showing the proper way on how its done.Forgive my flippant remark which was an attempt to remind Peader, yet again, that Cork weren't always as fortunate as they are now to have had a ground built for them by a benevolent landlord.

Well done Athlone.

BohsFans
12/03/2007, 8:08 PM
Far from it. Believe me this is by far the best stand in the LOI. Nothing and i mean nothing (even the new one in Turners X) comes close. Great design and well done to Athlone for showing the proper way on how its done.

I bet the Jodi's better!

atfconline
12/03/2007, 8:17 PM
I bet the Jodi's better!

Bad access and poles in the way let it down for starters!!

Lim till i die
12/03/2007, 9:25 PM
I bet the Jodi's better!

Nope :ball:

Battery Rover
12/03/2007, 9:57 PM
This is one ground for sure that will be finished as we have a stadium committee with some of the finest businessmen that the midlands have and the word failure doesnt exist in their world.

Phase 2 is rumoured to be close to launch from rumours going round.

Will have video of the game hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday taken from the press box.

Any of the Dundalk lads can ask John Gill what he thinks of the ground seeing as he visited us for the second time to have a look.

If you go to :ball:www.athlonetowntv.com:ball: there is some footage of the opening ceremony in the video section.

eekers
13/03/2007, 12:04 AM
i see on the video links page that there was a 'blessing of the stadium'. Is this a common thing in football does anyone know?

paudie
13/03/2007, 8:08 AM
i see on the video links page that there was a 'blessing of the stadium'. Is this a common thing in football does anyone know?

In Ireland it would be very common for any new ground or stand or indeed any public building at all to be blessed by the local clergy when it is being opened.

In these more PC days both the Catholic and Church of Ireland clergy would usually do the honours.

Jerry The Saint
13/03/2007, 9:58 AM
if you let the priests in it will not just be the league thats ****ed

Hey, no need for the snide comments about WYFC, thank you very much. :mad:

:p

Ash
13/03/2007, 10:05 AM
In Ireland it would be very common for any new ground or stand or indeed any public building at all to be blessed by the local clergy when it is being opened.

In these more PC days both the Catholic and Church of Ireland clergy would usually do the honours.

The funniest part, imho, was when they invited priests from the 2 town
Parish, St. Marys and St Peters along with a rep of the Church of Ireland
to bless the ground.

The Church of Ireland minister couldn't make it so the got a Friar from the
local (catholic) Friary to give it the protestants blessing :D

BohsFans
13/03/2007, 10:09 AM
Bad access and poles in the way let it down for starters!!

access is grand and as for the two poles, they don't affect your view if your sitting at the half way line, directors box or press box.

Also ALL the seats are covered, it holds more and has way better facilities underneth.

Peadar
13/03/2007, 10:12 AM
As much as I love going to Dalyer and enjoy the banter in the members bar, there's no point bigging it up, since you're selling it and moving to Ballymun.

BohsFans
13/03/2007, 10:17 AM
As much as I love going to Dalyer and enjoy the banter in the members bar, there's no point bigging it up, since you're selling it and moving to Ballymun.

not really "bigging up", just pointing out that it's better! :)

oh and it's Harristown btw

Risteard
13/03/2007, 10:38 AM
I believe they hope to start phase two really quickly.

Although (no offence to Athlone) they probably don't need another 2000 seats right now - no club averaged over 2000 at games last season except Derry sure

:eek:
That's wrong surely

pete
13/03/2007, 12:45 PM
This is one ground for sure that will be finished as we have a stadium committee with some of the finest businessmen that the midlands have and the word failure doesnt exist in their world.

I am sure there is a joke there but I can't think of it right now.

Phased developments are always difficult to complete. There are many projects that never past phase 1. Is there money left or is new funding required? How much spent so far & how much to finish?

Soko
14/03/2007, 12:00 AM
So just a collection of ****e videos, no one could even get a picture?

Magicme
14/03/2007, 8:40 AM
So just a collection of ****e videos, no one could even get a picture?

if ur talkin bout Athlone's stadium there are loads of really good photos of it on their website you know!

NY Hoop
14/03/2007, 11:53 AM
if ur talkin bout Athlone's stadium there are loads of really good photos of it on their website you know!

In the New Stadium section of their website they have photos of it from last august. Updated versions needed asap. Should be pics from the first game.

KOH

Magicme
14/03/2007, 12:12 PM
On the front page beside the match report from Sat there is a good pic of the stand.

Was sure there was others but maybe they were just emailed to me or something. Will give atfconline a kick up the arse for ya!

gael353
14/03/2007, 12:15 PM
not really "bigging up", just pointing out that it's better! :)

but your wrong IMO i think the athlone stand is far better then the jodi. Poles in the way for starters and as for whats underneath i think athlone will in time have equal if not better then whats offered at Dalyier. Now for bohs and others the idea is to better athlone at their new grounds :)

OneRedArmy
14/03/2007, 12:31 PM
but your wrong IMO i think the athlone stand is far better then the jodi. Poles in the way for starters and as for whats underneath i think athlone will in time have equal if not better then whats offered at Dalyier. Now for bohs and others the idea is to better athlone at their new grounds :)
Anyone building a non-cantilever stand in this day and age should be shot.

The Jodi is a fine stand, the bars are great, but its a bit of a maze underneath and the passageways are ridiculously narrow.

BohsFans
14/03/2007, 5:25 PM
The Jodi is a fine stand, the bars are great, but its a bit of a maze underneath and the passageways are ridiculously narrow.

not if your able to walk, instead of stumbling!

BohsFans
14/03/2007, 5:29 PM

It's bigger
3 bars
Kit room
2 dressing rooms
Refs room
Board room
Office
Turnstiles
Bar store room
Keg room
3 seperate sets of male AND female toilets

nuf said!

Magicme
14/03/2007, 6:49 PM
It's bigger
3 bars
Kit room
2 dressing rooms
Refs room
Board room
Office
Turnstiles
Bar store room
Keg room

nuf said!

Ok only one bar under Athlone's stand at present but

Kit room
2 massive dressing rooms
Male Ref room
Female Ref room
Board Room
Control Room
First Aid Room
Managers Office
Another Office (cant rem what it was for)
2 or 3 store rooms
At least 2 sets of toilets (male & female) may even have been more
Club Shop

And its all brand spanking new, wide corridors etc. Its not near finished yet but its functioning nicely.

Am not having a go or anything but you should check this place out b4 u go sayin which is better. My memories of the Jodi are a bit misty but I was very impressed in Athlone.

It will be a pleasure going there this season!

atfconline
14/03/2007, 11:16 PM
Main details of Athlone Town Stadium are:

Spectator seats - 2,040
Press Box - Space for approximately 30 press/radio/TV with ample power supplies/ISDN/phone lines
Quality PA System
Home & Away Dugouts - 18 seats each
Fourth Official Area- 4 seats
Covered Wheelchair Area - Holds 10
Male, Female & Disabled Toilets for home and away supporters
Home & Away Dressing Rooms - Seat 30 each
Male and Female Referee Rooms
Club Shop
Board Room
Manager's Office
Stadium Manager's Office
Larger General Admin Office
Medical Testing Room
First Aid Room
TV Interview Area
Control Room
Store Room
Club Bar

Approximately 130 parking spaces within the gates
2 acres floodlit car park outside the gate
Full size floodit training pitch on site
Covered ticketing area/turnstyles

neutrino
15/03/2007, 8:02 AM
why cant athlone just have their new ground without a comparision ensuing about which other stand is better. it's a fact that newer stands will be better than most currently out there. what others clubs have is inconsequential to other clubs, but it's good for facilities in the league. who cares if it takes athlone a few years to complete all the phases. it's alot better than mel's was. the more clubs that can follow suit the better.

fbtn
15/03/2007, 8:13 AM
why cant athlone just have their new ground without a comparision ensuing about which other stand is better. it's a fact that newer stands will be better than most currently out there. what others clubs have is inconsequential to other clubs, but it's good for facilities in the league. who cares if it takes athlone a few years to complete all the phases. it's alot better than mel's was. the more clubs that can follow suit the better.

Careful now!

Common sense and decency are frowned upon around these parts :D

Well done Athlone on the new stadium. Look forward to our visit.

manic da hoop
15/03/2007, 8:17 AM
Great stand, shame about your website. Photos from six months ago! The home page should be flooded with pics from Saturday night.

Dodge
15/03/2007, 8:20 AM
From what it seems Athlone's is class. And only those who have been to both can compare. Hopefully the Town give the club the backing they deserve. Well done to all concerned

atfconline
15/03/2007, 8:26 AM
Great stand, shame about your website. Photos from six months ago! The home page should be flooded with pics from Saturday night.

The section is going to be updated at the weekend, but for now (www.iol.ie/~eganwd/atfc/newstadium/Stand-140307.png).

paudie
15/03/2007, 10:17 AM
I see from today's Examiner that a semi final in the All Ireland Schools Cup is being played at the stadium today.

Good to see that it's being made available to non senior football as well.

NY Hoop
15/03/2007, 10:17 AM
Looks superb. Shame TV3 didnt have some action from the first game cos think there was a camera there?

Put the goals on the website?

KOH

gael353
15/03/2007, 10:29 AM
It's bigger
3 bars
Kit room
2 dressing rooms
Refs room
Board room
Office
Turnstiles
Bar store room
Keg room

nuf said!

yes you have said enough and by the looks of the responces from the other posters you've been shown that the athlone stand is indeed a far superior stand. Keep going though cos we have guys like the only 1 on our page just like ye ;)

dcfcsteve
15/03/2007, 10:49 AM
The section is going to be updated at the weekend, but for now (www.iol.ie/~eganwd/atfc/newstadium/Stand-140307.png).

Looks the business alright.

But who are ATIIFC...? ;)

WeAreRovers
15/03/2007, 11:19 AM
Fair play and best of luck to Athlone Town, my dad's team and my 'second' team - I was going to Mels as early as I was going to Milltown.

As for the Jodi - Bohs obviously decided not to bother with the underneath of it. The Jodi is typical Bohs - fur coat and no knickers. :D

KOH

Jerry The Saint
15/03/2007, 11:30 AM
Any plans for a name for the ground? No offence but

FORTRESS LISSYWOOLEN

doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the opposition.

BohsPartisan
15/03/2007, 11:30 AM
As for the Jodi - Bohs obviously decided not to bother with the underneath of it. The Jodi is typical Bohs - fur coat and no knickers. :D

KOH

eh 3 bars? The phoenix bar is very nice.

Battery Rover
15/03/2007, 11:37 AM

FORTRESS LISSYWOOLEN

The stadium committee are apparently in talks with a few parties with regards the naming of the ground but we arent going to let it go for nothing and want a long term deal.

No selling here for short term gain.

galwayhoop
15/03/2007, 11:37 AM

FORTRESS LISSYWOOLEN

i believe they are negotiating the naming of the stand/stadium with a view to selling the naming rights. the name lissywoolen is the area the ground is located in and not intended to be used for the name at all.

atfconline
15/03/2007, 11:39 AM
The name above the door is Athlone Town Stadium - no better name!