PDA

View Full Version : Gardai allowed tap into email accounts

joeSoap
12/03/2007, 9:51 AM
I've already had a thread binned cos I copied and pasted it direct from a website, so I'll try it this way as I think it is topical and something that could affect us all.

Unison.ie, the Irish Independent website have reported that Eircom have provided the Gardai with details of peoples personal email accounts without any need of them providing a warrant. They say that they are only upholding a law passed in 1993 which states that they must do this.

Basically now, the Gardai have the authority to look at everybodys emails without passing any apology. I have to question the moral validity of this, as 99% of us are not involved in any criminal activity. I have Gardai as friends, but I don't know if I'd be too happy with them reading the contents of my inbox.

Anyone else think this is a potential invasion of privacy?

wws
12/03/2007, 9:58 AM
I presume only people with eircom.net email accounts would be effected?
If so, change provider?

joeSoap
12/03/2007, 10:02 AM
I imagine that it is the case yes, but why should someone who has had an eircom.net address for donkeys years have to change it because they feel uncomfortable over privacy? People keep a lot of really personal stuff in email accounts because of the safety and privacy aspect.

dahamsta
12/03/2007, 10:31 AM
http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1792118&issue_id=15357

wws
12/03/2007, 10:44 AM
quote from the article

"The law only allows gardai to access the address details of the sender and receiver, the time and date it was sent and any details in the subject line. Content cannot be requested."

Email isnt really secure anyway (open to correction on this from the techies). I'd say many people could , if they had a mind to it, intercept these details to a lesser or greater extent.

anto1208
12/03/2007, 11:16 AM
Dam it i was organising my next big bank raid by email :D

none of this stuff really bothers me not the reading emails, DNA database , ID cards i cant see why anybody cares i think too many people think they are more important than they are .

wws
12/03/2007, 11:18 AM
Dam it i was organising my next big bank raid by email :D

none of this stuff really bothers me not the reading emails, DNA database , ID cards i cant see why anybody cares i think too many people think they are more important than they are .

you should move to North Korea.

Schumi
12/03/2007, 12:10 PM
or Merrion Square.

dahamsta
12/03/2007, 12:24 PM
I presume only people with eircom.net email accounts would be effected?No, and even if it was...

If so, change provider?...you've never sent email to an Eircom account?
Email isnt really secure anyway (open to correction on this from the techies). I'd say many people could , if they had a mind to it, intercept these details to a lesser or greater extent.Only people like me, and only with traffic that transits through my servers. This is why the GardaĆ­ went to Eircom.

joeSoap
12/03/2007, 1:29 PM
So, in this instance, do the Gardai have a list of email addresses they want to investigate, or do they randomly go through peoples accounts?

GavinZac
12/03/2007, 1:33 PM
this law has been in place since the data protection act came into place. it makes provisions that a person's data or emails are not private if the gardai wish to access them.

joeSoap
12/03/2007, 1:40 PM
But surely they must have just cause to want to look at them, and provide warrants or documentation for same. Whats to stop a cop checking on his ex-girlfriends or one of his noisy neighbours emails just to dig up some personal dirt?

Please don't say the Gardai are above all that....

dahamsta
12/03/2007, 1:42 PM
So, in this instance, do the Gardai have a list of email addresses they want to investigate, or do they randomly go through peoples accounts?The former, as the article says. The problem is how you define what is being legitimately investigated, and what is fishing.

this law has been in place since the data protection act came into place.As the article states, it's the Postal Packets and Telecommunications Messages Act. The DPA serves the complete opposite purpose.

But surely they must have just cause to want to look at them, and provide warrants or documentation for same. Whats to stop a cop checking on his ex-girlfriends or one of his noisy neighbours emails just to dig up some personal dirt?The article states that a chief super has to sign off on it. The issue is that the judiciary aren't involved, as is normal practice for, for example, search warrants. This is essentially the same thing, the same rules should apply.

Now, before anyone else posts a comment, please read the article (http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1792118&issue_id=15357). All of these questions are already answered there.

adam

WeAreRovers
12/03/2007, 2:44 PM

Eh, to me this is the biggest single issue facing us. Our right to privacy is paramount.

KOH

anto1208
12/03/2007, 3:37 PM
Eh, to me this is the biggest single issue facing us. Our right to privacy is paramount.

KOH

But its not , you should have a limited right to privacy , i agree a paper shouldnt be able to print private matters but the cops should be able to look at what they want when they want .

WeAreRovers
12/03/2007, 4:02 PM
cops should be able to look at what they want when they want .

Have you been living under a rock? :confused:

KOH

dahamsta
12/03/2007, 4:36 PM
We should have a limited right to privacy, the problem is where you draw the line. I draw the line at "the cops" being able to read my mail if and when they feel like it. I want a judge to approve their request to go fishing in my personal and business email.

adam

strangeirish
12/03/2007, 5:35 PM
Where do you draw the line indeed. As far as I'm concerned, it's open to abuse in Ireland just as it is in the US with it's patriot act. Even though in the US it requires a judicial order in the form of a warrant signed by a judge to 'snoop', it has been abused by the FBI. An internal audit by the justice dept., over here has uncovered things we already knew. Story from CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/09/security.letters/index.html).

joeSoap
13/03/2007, 10:24 AM
One step closer to Herr McDowells 'Police State'.

John83
13/03/2007, 1:12 PM
I'll be complaining about this one to anyone looking for my vote anyway.

Must make a list... :)